Star Wars - it's a bit rubbish, isn't it?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Star Wars - it's a bit rubbish, isn't it?

Post by Halfshell »

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/fea ... 31,00.html

I love the Guardian Unlimited site, I really really do.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

that was a fantastic read
Shockmeister
Protoform

Post by Shockmeister »

Though I am a somewhat obsessive fanboy...that was too damn funny.
Sig-image by DrEvil. He rules...
"I was given a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler." - Jack Kirby's WW2 experience.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Star W0rz got ownz0red!

And I'm glad someone else noticed the astonishing lack of directional talent on star Wars [as in the first one; it says "Star Wars" on the non-Lucas-tinkered-box I have, that's what I'm calling it, get over it]... it's box-on-the-wall. Soaps have better direction.
Bouncelot
Protoform

Post by Bouncelot »

I happened to see 2 of the original Star Wars films over Christmas, and it stuck me that they are basically just B-Movies with good special effects. I'm now astonished that I never realised that before.
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

i don't like the way Star Wars is getting hammered as a bad series off films-Star Trek is more fitting-every few films destroying the Enterprise is quite dull really.:yawn:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Thefallenone
i don't like the way Star Wars is getting hammered as a bad series off films

Yet you do nothing to defend it other than complaining about the notion and proceeding to criticise something unrelated.

Not that Trek-bashing will ever be unwelcome in one of my threads, but is "I don't like that it's being criticised" really the best defence you can come up with?
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

at the moment yes:D
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Person made several good points (especially regarding the script), but there were several things that were kind of off. Also, kind of odd how he managed to blame George Lucas for George W. Bush.

All in all, not a bad article.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It's The Guardian, they're always looking for new people to blame for Dubya...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Bouncelot
I happened to see 2 of the original Star Wars films over Christmas, and it stuck me that they are basically just B-Movies with good special effects. I'm now astonished that I never realised that before.

The thing I'm surprised the guy didn't note is just how derivative SW [the film, not necessarily the series] is/was... it was one of the first films to just blend a few other films together and stamp a new name - it's a mix of the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon movie serials, via The Hidden Fortress, via Errol Flynn.

I'd also guess the guy didn't hammer the Star Trek films a) because they're not one toy magnate's clinical 12-hour action figure commercial and more obviously b) there isn't a ludicrously overhyped Trek installment due in the cinema soon. You realise how newspapers work, right?

Oh, and even in ST: The Slow Motion Picture, the camera moves about a bit.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
it's a mix of the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon movie serials, via The Hidden Fortress, via Errol Flynn.

To be fair, Lucas never claimed anything to the contrary.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Awwww, I hate Star Wars now............

Pffft! Yeah, right.........:laugh:
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

so Star Wars and Casper have something in common then?
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

It's the guardian. They hate everything.
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

They were off on a few things ( Luke ate at Yoda's place dammit :P ) but overall it was a funny read to waste a few minutes
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

I wish some people could just stop friggin analyzing everything to death and just enjoy the G'd movies. After reading the first few posts in this topic, I thought it might be some semi humorous spoof on Star Wars, so I gave it a click. After reading into it a bit it seems to dive right into the 'uberness' that everyone seems to think there is surrounding bashing the hell out of the prequel trilogy, and how it makes the 'alerady sub-par' OT look even worse. Typical arguements were abound, the wooden acting, the cgi, Jar Jar, ewoks, mass marketing, interpretations of Lucas' directing skill, blah blah blah. It is really sad that a person wasted *SO* much time nit picking mistakes in a series of movies. With that attention to detail, if this person took the time to look at a problem that actually matters, like say, AIDS, or Iraq, or whatever you are inclined to dislike that isn't something as stupid as your preference in clothes, movies, music etc, this webspace might actually serve some purpose other than simply wasting space that only sad pathetic beings that blindly hate a movie that is simply ment to entertain read. Let the people who want to enjoy them enjoy them, and if they want to get wrapped up into all the hype and marketing *LET THEM ENJOY IT*. This is popcorn entertainment that isn't ment to change the world or provide social commentary.

That article had to be the biggest waste of time I have spent on the internet since reading Eklund's NHL lockout reports over at HFboards.com.....
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Prowl?
that only sad pathetic beings that blindly hate a movie that is simply ment to entertain read. Let the people who want to enjoy them enjoy them, and if they want to get wrapped up into all the hype and marketing *LET THEM ENJOY IT*. This is popcorn entertainment that isn't ment to change the world or provide social commentary.

Oooh. Nervestrike.

So, what you're saying is "people shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off by the fact that a series of [mediocre] films is being shoved down their throats, and most certainly shouldn't be allowed to voice that annoyance."

Good. Just checking.

It's not meant to provide social commentary, no. It has, however, invaded pretty much every aspect of society. Therefore we have a right to be sick of the damn things, and the right to complain about them.

You can't walk into a topic with the title "Star Wars - it's a bit rubbish, isn't it?" and expect the link contained within to be full of affectionate fluff that ultimately says how it's wonderful.

You seem eager to let people have their right to freedom of whatever so they can "get on and enjoy it", but not so keen for them to think what they want if they happen to dislike something. Hypocrite, much?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh I don't know. I reckon that everyone's got something they get all fanboyish about. Something they're inclined to say something along the lines of, "F*ck you, if you don't like it you can just go piss off!" Something they're utterly convinced is the best thing in the world and they'll not hear a negative comment about it, no matter how well constructed it is.

I'm that way with hockey I suppose...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
Oooh. Nervestrike.

So, what you're saying is "people shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off by the fact that a series of [mediocre] films is being shoved down their throats, and most certainly shouldn't be allowed to voice that annoyance."

Good. Just checking.
Who's shoving anything down your throat? If you hate Star Wars, don't see the movie, don't play the games, don't buy the merchindise, don't buy into the hype.

*But wait, what about all the things I HAVE to see, like Vader on chips, or Yoda on pop, or all those trailers on tv!?* If I had a nickel for every time I have endured a commercial or ad campaign I don't particularly care for I would have beach front property in Maui by now. I hate the fact that whenever I am trying to get scores on the World Hockey Chamionship, I have to sit through a stupid Chrystler commercial, or a speil on why I should watch some soccer match that sportsnet is picking up. Its called marketing, and its not going away, even if everyone hates it.

While we are on the subject of over-agressive marketing, I can't seem to remember any of this negativity towards the lord of the rings franchise when they were doing their big promotion for the Return of the King a year and a half ago. Their propmotions were just as big with tie ins with video games and action figures and so forth. I guess the simple fact that you think Star Wars is only 'mediocre' and doesn't deserve this kind of exposure is reason enough to bash the heck out of it. Dispite the opinion of the article, some people enjoy Star Wars. The fans of this franchise have been waiting almost 30 years for this movie. From the signatures of a few posters on this board, some of those fans even like to come here. I am not denying anyone's right of opinion, only expressing mine that people that are using their opinion to over emphasize Star Wars in a negative light are not taking it for what it is and simply are too anal to just enjoy it and not worry so much about the details.
It's not meant to provide social commentary, no. It has, however, invaded pretty much every aspect of society. Therefore we have a right to be sick of the damn things, and the right to complain about them.
This 'invasion' will have the life span of the summer, the extent of the movie's theatrical run, and then when it fades into the oblivious realm of being a DVD on the shelf, you will be forever free of the iron shakles that LFL have placed upon you! Seriously, its a commercial movie for a commercial society, and is being treated as such. The same thing will happen for the next Harry Potter, then Spiderman, King Kong etc, etc. I will have to remember to complain extra loud how much I hate Harry Potter's face on my coke can this fall when that movie comes out.
You can't walk into a topic with the title "Star Wars - it's a bit rubbish, isn't it?" and expect the link contained within to be full of affectionate fluff that ultimately says how it's wonderful.
No, but I wouldn't expect you to think that everyone is going to love and agree with this article and tell you wonderful tales of how it has converted them away from liking Star Wars. There are fans of Star Wars on this board, and you can't expect them to like and agree with this. I am one such fan, and I voiced my opinion.
You seem eager to let people have their right to freedom of whatever so they can "get on and enjoy it", but not so keen for them to think what they want if they happen to dislike something. Hypocrite, much?
Dislike it all you want, I am just tired of the same old reasons. People that enjoy these films, really enjoy them. So much so that it inspires long winded rebuttles over the internet about silly little articles that really have no overall bearing on their day to day lives. I just feel that articles like these are simply created to inspire provocation to a passionate fan base. As you can decipher from my long response, it has worked in this case. There are ALOT of Star Wars fans out there. Ever since the special editions in 97 (some may argue it actually started in 83 with the ewok bashing), we have watched countless of trolls come out of the woodwork and take countless amounts of shots towards something that we hold dear. Despite reports of a new TV series(bad idea IMO), this is the beginning of the end for Star Wars. It is my wish that people would simply just let us fans enjoy this last bit of our beloved franchise without having to constantly pick apart something that we care for.
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/