Saw episode III last night [MAJOR SPOILERS]...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Galvatron91
As for Mace Windu, his death is nearly perfect I feel. He certainly did not go out like a bitch. He had Palpy defeated, something even Yoda wasn't able to do. Had Anakin not intervened, Windu would have successfully ended the Empire before it began. He wasn't expecting Anakin to turn on him, and he certainly wasn't ready for the attack by Palpy. I thought his death was effectively done.

I'm still of the persuasion that Palpatine was playing possum, and if Anakin hadn't acted, Palpatine would have killed them both, especially after seeing him beat Yoda.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
I'm still of the persuasion that Palpatine was playing possum, and if Anakin hadn't acted, Palpatine would have killed them both, especially after seeing him beat Yoda.

See i wouldnt say that Palpatine out right beat yoda, i'd say they were level pegging, just that unfortunatly for Yoda he fell and hit that post , otherwise they were pretty even throughout.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

My two penneth...

I like the way all the elements tied into each other, as in the story of the prequels into the original trilogy. Thought the wiping of C3-P0's memory was a bit of a cop-out tho.

I also like the way that Padame died as Anakin was reborn into the Darth Vader we all know and love. I did actually feel quite moved by it.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I disagree, simply because I often wondered if Windu wasn't possibly the most powerful Jedi. Yoda is identified as the wisest, yes...but I have long thought that Windu may actually be stronger. Course, it is all hypothetical, but I'm sticking with my theory.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

I disagree, simply because I often wondered if Windu wasn't possibly the most powerful Jedi. Yoda is identified as the wisest, yes...but I have long thought that Windu may actually be stronger. Course, it is all hypothetical, but I'm sticking with my theory.

Kinda with G on this one. Can't see anyone else managing to hold off the Emperor's electric attack, never mind reflecting (refracting?) it back onto him.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I dunno. I don't think Palpatine would have put himself in a situation where there was any chance of being killed. He would have made sure that Mace was with a platoon of clones, so that he'd get 66'd if he percieved him as a threat, and knowing his exploits, and being able to sense the power of the force in him, he definitely would have known if he were a threat.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by LiquifiedTiger
First off, George Lucas has BILLIONS of dollars worth of CGI ability... and yet the movie keeps using Powerpoint effects in between scenes? The first time it happened I was like, "well... I guess 'swirl' ISN'T really a Powerpoint effect..." then I saw checker-box and waited the entire movie for the tires screeching sound or at least the "WHOOOOSH"... sadly I was never given either.
That's the problem you have with the movie? The checkerbox wipe? No offence intended, but that's a petty complaint to latch onto.

How "great" the movie is can be boiled down to the "NOOOOOOOOOO" scene. There isn't a single person alive who didn't laugh when they saw that.

I didn't laugh. Neither did anyone in the theatre where I saw it. (They did laugh when Yoda knocked over the two Royal Guards with the Force.)
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

My two penneth...

I like the way all the elements tied into each other, as in the story of the prequels into the original trilogy. Thought the wiping of C3-P0's memory was a bit of a cop-out tho.

Why? As soon as Luke brings in the two droids in A New Hope, Lars immediately wants them mind-wiped. It was probably a common occurence with droids.
Originally posted by Lord Zarak
I dunno. I don't think Palpatine would have put himself in a situation where there was any chance of being killed. He would have made sure that Mace was with a platoon of clones, so that he'd get 66'd if he percieved him as a threat, and knowing his exploits, and being able to sense the power of the force in him, he definitely would have known if he were a threat.

Palpatine is powerful, but he isn't omnipotent. If he was, it would drain all the tension and tragedy right out of a story like that.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Saw it last night, finally. I thought the movie was pretty good, actually. Certainly an improvement.

My only real complaints are that Grievous and Dooku got wasted pretty quick. Felt like Darth Maul all over again.

That and Jar Jar didn't die.

Otherwise, it was a pretty cool flick. I might go see it again, even. I dunno, I just love the opening of every Star Was film where they do the 20th Century Fox logo, the Lucasfilm logo, and then the music...it just feels great, even if the movie that follows might not be so good.
Random Sweep
Protoform

Post by Random Sweep »

Originally posted by Zisteau
Why? As soon as Luke brings in the two droids in A New Hope, Lars immediately wants them mind-wiped. It was probably a common occurence with droids.

Yup. Common practice was to do a memory wipe on any new droids to eliminate quirks from their systems.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Arcee
(They did laugh when Yoda knocked over the two Royal Guards with the Force.)

Yeah. Every time I went to see it, that was when the audience always chuckled.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Weekend sales for Ep. III

Internationally it's already passed $300 million.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Palpatine is powerful, but he isn't omnipotent. If he was, it would drain all the tension and tragedy right out of a story like that.

Not omnipotent, but smart enough not to put himself in that kind of a situation. He also says "Limitless power," while he's blasting Mace. BTW, you switched Zarak and my posts. ;)
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Yeah. Every time I went to see it, that was when the audience always chuckled.

Yeah, that was the other point where the audience clapped. Great moment.

For all the special gear and whatnot, and the fact that they're royal guards, we never, in any of the movies, see what it is they can do that makes them so special to be in their positions. Very interesting.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Redstreak
For all the special gear and whatnot, and the fact that they're royal guards, we never, in any of the movies, see what it is they can do that makes them so special to be in their positions.

That's one of the things that the EU's meant to explain. Crimson Empire does a good job of explaining the origins of the Royal Guard. What's more interesting is that they were originally meant to evolve from the prequel Senate Guard, but somewhere along the line, the decision was made to make them contemporaries of the Senate Guard instead of having one evolve to the other.

Much better decision, if you ask me.
Prowl?
Protoform

Post by Prowl? »

This is the best movie I have seen since watching the original Godfather around 1995.

Trekkies, LotR fans and anime fans can moan and huff all they want, this is geekfest at its finest.

Order 66....flawless
Anakin's Elegy by Obi Wan on Mustafar....perfect
Yoda/Emperor fight......a dream realized
Younglings Pleading for guidance.......mournfully captivating

There are so many things right about this movie, I can't begin to name them all. While not perfect, (Padme's death and Yoda's revalation about Qui Gon kind of stick out as tacked on) I haven't enjoyed a movie as much for as long as I can remember.
-----------------------
P R O W L ?
I support Todd Bertuzzi
start climbing that sh*t rope...
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Originally posted by Bombshell
That's one of the things that the EU's meant to explain. Crimson Empire does a good job of explaining the origins of the Royal Guard. What's more interesting is that they were originally meant to evolve from the prequel Senate Guard, but somewhere along the line, the decision was made to make them contemporaries of the Senate Guard instead of having one evolve to the other.

Much better decision, if you ask me.

Yeah I can agree with that. I wonder if their abilities in the ROTJ video game were anything like what they woulda been like in action.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Weekend sales for Ep. III

Internationally it's already passed $300 million.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much it cost to make this film and if they've already made a profit.

Damn! $300 million worldwide in 3 days. That's unheard of.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Just wondering if anyone knows how much it cost to make this film and if they've already made a profit.

Damn! $300 million worldwide in 3 days. That's unheard of.

Something like 120 million for the movie, and an astronomical amount of advertising. But yeah, they're definitely seeing a profit.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I just saw it and it was pretty good.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.