Discombobamulate

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Discombobamulate

Post by Rurudyne »

We've all see it and now there's a term for it (courtesy of yours truly):

Discombobamulate

verb, humorous

to disconcert or confuse someone on account of manipulations of President Obama's name

variations:

Discombobamulation: the act of promulgating manipulations of President Obama's name

Discombobamulated: to suffer emotional distress over manipulations of President Obama's name
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Wait, what?
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

It's a little hard to pronounce. Also, I think the first "b" should be silent or nearly so.

I've been saying: "dis - com - o - bom - u - late" which is a little easier than trying to throw in the "b" somehow.

Also, now that I think about it discombobamulation should reflect intent too, i.e. wanting to discombobamulate rather than merely coining a term with no such intention.
Standup Philosopher

Sades

Post by Sades »

You're supposed to stop talking now.

Because I said so.

Kay? :)
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Okay.
Standup Philosopher

Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Sweet ****! That's all it takes?!? I'd have done that years ago.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Sweet ****! That's all it takes?!? I'd have done that years ago.
You never asked nicely. :)
Standup Philosopher

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Can you give us an example of [this word that I'm too damn lazy to type and this stupid computer kiosk I'm using doesn't seem to have copy/paste capabilities . . . not even keyboard shortcuts, mac (it's mac-based) or pc]? The definition is a bit vague as to any practical use for this word.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

RID Scourge wrote:Can you give us an example of [this word that I'm too damn lazy to type and this stupid computer kiosk I'm using doesn't seem to have copy/paste capabilities . . . not even keyboard shortcuts, mac (it's mac-based) or pc]? The definition is a bit vague as to any practical use for this word.
Sure.

Discombobamulation, or the hybridization of the President's name with intent to fluster folks, would be something like I encountered in the very thread that inspired the term in the first place.

On another forum, a noob looking to make a splash started a thread around the term (his term and NOT mine) "commobamaunist" ... which was expressly intended to get in people's faces.

Two individuals quickly responded and were critical of the term whereupon he concluded that he'd found two commobamaunist on that forum. Problem was: HE HADN'T. One of the two was one of my fellow Federalist who simply has no patience for the sort of nonsense that the guy was engaged in. The other, though tacitly a supporter of the President, could hardly be described as an individual infatuated with all things Obama.

In short they were discombobamulated over an intentionally offensive manipulation of the President's name and not because they were being called a name.

That was my inspiration for the term and also an example of its application.

It is derived from the dictionary word "discombobulate".
Standup Philosopher

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Sweet ****! That's all it takes?!?
Apparently not.

Rurudyne - shut the **** up. Forever.

Please. :)

No acknowledgement necessary. Ever.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Standup Philosopher

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Ignoring a staff request? That's a banning...

HOUND! DO SOME MOTHER****ING WORK, BITCH!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Rurudyne wrote:On another forum, a noob looking to make a splash started a thread around the term (his term and NOT mine) "commobamaunist" ... which was expressly intended to get in people's faces.

Two individuals quickly responded and were critical of the term whereupon he concluded that he'd found two commobamaunist on that forum. Problem was: HE HADN'T. One of the two was one of my fellow Federalist who simply has no patience for the sort of nonsense that the guy was engaged in. The other, though tacitly a supporter of the President, could hardly be described as an individual infatuated with all things Obama.
Ah. Thanks. :up: Definitely helps.