Do some ebayers annoy you guys as collectors?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

But that makes sense. Once the "buy it now" price has been outbid it's obsolete anyway. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong somehow, doesn't purchasing with the "buy it now" option equal an immediate buy? So why bid one up, with the exception of having to wait until later to buy it?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Depending on the price of the item, as soon as any bid is placed, the BIN option disappears. So a Buy It Now of $9.99 is no longer available once someone bids $1.50, but the bid can then go higher either because people were unaware of the BIN or just weren't fast enough. The BIN disappears, the way I understand it, so that people who had a high bid aren't "surprised" when the item disappears. I don't get it either.

I think recently, though, they changed it so that the BIN option does remain even if the item is bid on if the opening bids are below a certain percentage of the BIN price. But you'd have to check on that.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I know that with reserve auctions the BIN used to stay in place until the reserve is met.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

S_Windell, I meant the buyer. Some people would rather pay more for no reason. I always laugh at this joke:

Once there was a man who travelled to Egypt and wanted to buy a gift for his mother. He looked around at the marketplace and saw a vase for $5. He continued looking and saw the same vase for $10. He said to the shop keep "I think there is something wrong with the prices."

The shop keep replied "No there is nothing wrong."

The man asked "how can that be? These are exactly the same."

The shop keep replied "Well, some people come here to buy a $5 vase and some come to buy a $10 vase."

Ballsquid...very impressive :)
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

thanks. Im hoping to get all my transformers photographed this week so I will put a link to them in the 'my collection' forum bit. Also, i finally found an iquanus :) Well happy.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

it annoys me when certain well-known-ish people within the community deliberatly mis-label ebay auctions to generate traffic (such as calling an item 'g1' etc).

thankfully, i have discovered the 'report' function includes a method for reporting title listing violations and keyword spamming, so i have been entertaining myself by going through and marking up everything that has been incorrectly listed.

its one thing when some bloke in hong kong tries to sell his knock-off random merchandise as 'g1' just because it has a sticker with movie prime stuck on the front, but it's quite another when people who are 'public' within the fandom do it just to shift their own tat.
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

Does anyone het annoyed with the 'best offer' feature? I would prefer that people either accept or deny a best offer but it seems that many people are quite happy to just see an offer they dont like and ignore it untill 48 hours have passed and it runs out.
This seems stupid to me for two reasons. 1, why annoy potential bidders? 2, if I offer a price, I am normally willing to go alittle higher, that were the counter offer comes into play, they counter offer, then I do etc until we have bartered a price.

It also annoys me when an auction says 'feel free to ask a question' then there is not a single reply or it takes untill the auction has like 20 mins left to answer it. I have even recently had an auction that stating there would be a reply within 4 hours yet its been 3 days and 2 messages with no reply.

My last rant is about international. Has anyone seen an auction that states international bidders email me, then when you do they say it wont be much then send you an invoice for like $50 for a single figure just for postage? I do understand that some people may get confused if it the first time they are sending abroad with all the options and so it doesnt apply to everyone.
I prime example of this is the ebayer wheeljackslab. When i asked him for a quote on a few auctions he took 9 days to reply, then replied on two MICROMASTERS. He told me that "it is not cost effective to send abroad and so the minimum international shipping is $37.99. But I could send 2 or three figures this size for that price. Im sorry but £37.99? The maximum US to UK price, first class is just over $30, although will allow for insureance and recorded so possibly $35 but that is for 2kg. Something tells me that micromasters dont weigh a kilogram each. LOL
Raze
Protoform

Post by Raze »

I've noticed a lot of BIN's with a low price but then you see the P&P cost and realise why it's so low. Probably some way to get around paypal fees or something but then I just tend to ignore those sellers and look elsewhere even if the options are slim.
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

I live in the UK and I went to sell my xbox360 a few days ago and put £15 postage to have it tell me that the maximum shipping charges for this catagory are £14. Same thing with DVDs as I recently sold an Angel boxset and was told that the maximum shipping for this catagory are £0.00 so I had to offer free postage. I can understand that for a single DVD but some boxsets are quite heavy.
If ebay.co.uk has rules for shipping charges I dont see how people can still get away with silly high postage prices. Is it just ebay.co.uk that has these rules or all ebay sites and does it only apply to shipping in certain catagories or possible only within the same country? Seems strange to me.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

ballsquid wrote:I prime example of this is the ebayer wheeljackslab. When i asked him for a quote on a few auctions he took 9 days to reply, then replied on two MICROMASTERS. He told me that "it is not cost effective to send abroad and so the minimum international shipping is $37.99. But I could send 2 or three figures this size for that price. Im sorry but £37.99? The maximum US to UK price, first class is just over $30, although will allow for insureance and recorded so possibly $35 but that is for 2kg. Something tells me that micromasters dont weigh a kilogram each. LOL
You dodged a bullet there. Buyers' opinions of wheeljack are probably the most polarized of any ebay seller with an almost even split of buyers who love him and buyers who hate him.

Under perfect conditions he's an excellent seller, but nothing is perfect. The slightest thing wrong-the slightest-and he's extremely rude. If an item doesn't arrive don't expect a replacement or your money back. Sometimes his items are covered in piss. See this thread for details.
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

OMG!! I have waited weeks for items before and been screwed once or twice when I have paid and never recieved the item and paypal says "there is not enough funds in the sellers account" blah blah blah but covered in piss takes the cake. Does he have a cat or something? And isnt that considered hazardous material if hes shipping abroad?
Its bloody annoying that Ebay is unfortuantly the best place to find rareities. 99% of the G1's i need are US exclusives and there's very little chance of find them at a car boot sale over here
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

just been reading his feeback and it seems that he has no patience for non US buyers. It would be easier if he said no international bidders but also from the feedback he seems to be making a small fortune in overcharging shipping. Will definatly avoid in the future. thanks for letting me know
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

You're welcome. He's never going to get booted off ebay because he's a gravy-train for them, but that won't stop me from spreading the word about his farce of a business.

Every seller that's made aware of the fact that he's unpredictable is one less seller being screwed by him.
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

Have you noticed that he listed as a top 1000 reviewer? His review starts talking about how someone should be wary of bad sellers LOL. Says you should look for someone with more than 2% negative and also talks abotu being carefull of quality of toys and how complete they are. Really funny read if you havent already
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

Also i did my little bit and clicked "NOT HELPFUL" on his review. I know it wont be enough to bring his reviewer staus down but made me feel a little better LOL
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Guy's a bad seller. Now move on.