Favorite Transformer Combiner Set.

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Favorite Transformer Combiner Set.

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Hello Folks:

I am curious about you all. I know that this question has probably been asked before, before I want to know about your favorite transformer combiner sets. Here are my favorites:

1. Constructicons/Devastator. (The first special team!)
2. Combaticons/Bruticus.
3. Stunticons/Menasor.
4. Technobots/Computron.

Those are my four favorites - most of them, except for one, being Decepticon sets. (Isn't that interesting?) Even though I am aware of the Protectobots/Defensor, the Aerialbots/Superion, the Terracons/Abominus and the Predacons/Predaking, I was not into as much as the four I have listed earlier. Also, does any one know more about an Autobot set called the Railbots? I would like more information on them.

Please feel free to mention your favorite(s) transformer combiner team(s). If it is not one of the ones I have already listed here, then please explain it to me more in depth - and give photographs of each team member of that particular unmentioned set as well. I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Thank you.

Machine Hunter :wave:
:devil: Image :angel:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

JRX / Team Bullet Train Robo (or whatever the ****).

The notion of it having to be five/six robots was sacrificed. Actual poseability was engineered into the equation and **** me if it wasn't fantastic. Three robots who actually work on their own merits, and a combined form that isn't just a robot with four vehicles stapled to its corners and called limbs.

How the hell we ended up with the Superlink combiners after that is a total ****ing mystery.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yup, Rail Racer is ace. Equal thought into all configurations, no additional parts (an idea so revolutionary Popy only did it 20 years earlier), good articulation (and good poseability), good proportions, secure but not frustrating.

All he was really lacking is a Decepticon/Predacon equivalent, though it probably wouldn't have turned out too well seeing as the same design team's other combiner idea was bloody Landfill.

Didn't mind the Energon ones too much - a step back for sure, but if only they hadn't had two damn recolours per team they'd be passable. The UT toys in general were a baffling step backwards from the RiD figures, and they only really kicked on again with Classics/Universe 2 and the Movie lines. Which strangely seems to have coincided with the switch from "Let's see what Takara are doing and market it" to "Takara, make this for us and make it good, you idiots".
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

For my favorite combiner team, it's a toss-up between the Combaticons and Breastforce. In terms of engineering, Breastforce has very few extra parts(Liokaiser's head, and the parts from Jalgar and Killbison vehicle mode weapons that make up the gun), and both teams have interesting members.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I do have a fondness for Predaking. He's so big and orange and lethal if you drop him on someone.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Not a real set, so this is cheating, but Omega Prime just looks gorgeous with his chromed chest armor. As for a set, I did rather go for Rail Racer, although mine has certainly got quite some faults...
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Either Rail Racer, Landfill or (depending on what you consider a Combiner) Animated Safeguard for me. I like each one for straying away from typical combiner norms.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Clay

Post by Clay »

Halfshell wrote:JRX / Team Bullet Train Robo (or whatever the ****).

How the hell we ended up with the Superlink combiners after that is a total ****ing mystery.
Cliffjumper wrote:Yup, Rail Racer is ace. Equal thought into all configurations, no additional parts (an idea so revolutionary Popy only did it 20 years earlier), good articulation (and good poseability), good proportions, secure but not frustrating.
I disagree. I never much cared for Rail Racer as two of the three the individual robots were deformed in some way, either with a tiny upper body like the gray one, or with a tiny upper body and massive legs like the white and blue one.

As long as I thought of it like Magmatron, I could get on with Rail Racer, but eventually I sold it off anyway. It was the leg bot, honestly.

As for the Energon combiners, I still think a lot of them. There are rather obvious compromises going on (Superion's hands/feet, paramount), but ultimately I still see them as the better overall effort.
cliffy wrote:The UT toys in general were a baffling step backwards from the RiD figures, and they only really kicked on again with Classics/Universe 2 and the Movie lines. Which strangely seems to have coincided with the switch from "Let's see what Takara are doing and market it" to "Takara, make this for us and make it good, you idiots".
I dunno; Armada definitely toned down the complexity, but basically any Energon or Cybertron figure that isn't outright crippled by a gimmick is indistinguishable in design style from Classics and Universe. For Energon, mind that that's a scant few figures (the deluxe Decepticons, basically), but the greatest difference is that the UT stuff are... well, nobodies. Apart from a handful that were directly lifted from previous series, they may as well have not had any fiction at all.

Not debating that Hasbro taking the lead for brand was a bad thing by any means, though. :)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hmmm . . . Rail Racer is quite good. If I were to pick a favorite he might take that spot. I also liked his character on the show. I liked the hammy superhero schtick. It's almost unfair considering he's nearly leagues better than any other figure.

Abominus was my first complete combiner, and he holds a special place in my heart for that alone. Monstructor is quite nifty.

Energon combiners were all right. Liked the individual robots on the combaticons and the treadshot/red treadshot repaint figure. The combined modes really suffer from lack of propper hands.

All in all I'm more interested in updates to the individual team members. Ie Animated Swindle, Classics Drag Strip, Movie Brawl and Dead End.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Didn't mind the Energon ones too much - a step back for sure, but if only they hadn't had two damn recolours per team they'd be passable.
They'd be closer to passable if either of the Superion limb moulds actually worked as limbs. Well, that's not quite right... they both work as legs, but the fact that mixing the legs means he has an epic lean really doesn't help matters.
Clay wrote:I disagree.
Well then you're wrong. :o
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Omega Prime from RiD was so frickin massive and loveable that if a burglar came into my house to burgle that I would just throw Omega Prime at him and possibly kill him. I wonder what the size comparison between Fort Max and Omega Prime is... I need pictures..... But a true gestalt combiner in terms of sturdiness that I own is RiD Ruinition/ G1 Bruticus. I like the feel of him compared to G1 Superion and Devs. Devs is just difficult because of his legs at times and also his arms sometimes not wanting to stay combined to Hook.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
ballsquid
Protoform

Post by ballsquid »

My two faves are...

1) Landcross, because he just seems sturdy, came in 6 equal sized parts, plus the fact you can join any two together into a smaller gestalt.

2) Railracer, again sturdyness, equal parts plus the advantage of no added fists or big head. Shame about this guy tho because I promised my Mrs I would stick to only collecting G1 as things were getting out of hand and as part of that deal Ive had to put him on ebay :(

At least I get to keep my landcross :)
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I'm gonna have to say Rail Racer. Just pure awesome, in the sense that he was actually quite good in both gestalt and non gestalt modes. Didn't really mind Midnight Express's legs myself. Maybe i'm biased, though.

And obviously, i don't mind one of the energon combiners. Well, at least i liked the limb molds, Treadshot in particular. The gestalts, not so much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The first one that I owned and liked the most are the Combaticons/Bruticus.
Got back into collecting when I bought the Universe version called Ruination.
The Stunticons/Menasor are second on the list of ones I like, followed by the Predacons/Predaking, and I also like the Aerialbots/Superion.
Destruction is my specialty
moonbaseone
Protoform

Constructicons/Devastator

Post by moonbaseone »

Predacons/Predaking were probably my favorite from G1.

Though I do like the Constrcucticons/Devastator ALOT too. Especially the toys.
"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

My favourite will always be Superion, cos my auntie had one when I was a nipper and the rare occassions where I got to use it were a treat
Now I have my own and it just feels super-awesome

That, or the MMPR megazord
:p
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Gotta be G1 Bruticus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

In G1 Computron would have to be my favorite Autobot and Bruticus my favorite con.

I like Computron for, more than anything, Scattershot. I just like that mould.
Bruticus more or less for the vehicals, I have always wished Blastoff was a Fighter jet though, or better yet a bomber.

However JRX/Rail Racer is my all time favorite.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Computron and the grey/white camouflage Bruticus.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
numbat

Post by numbat »

I have to vote for Rail Racer. I love the robot modes (despite some odd proportions), the train modes and the gestalt is absolutely amazing!

Omega Prime is great fun, and huge, but rather unweildly, and involves dismantling the component 'bots, which is kind of weak for a gestalt.

As much as I loved Menasor as a kid, the Scamble City gestalts are pretty pants in retrospect.

RID was the highlight for combiners, IMO. Landfill was at least interesting even, if flawed. Energon really took a massive leap back.

Anyone voting for ROTF Supreme Devastator?

;)