What other cartoons/anime do you guys dig?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I think I get more laughs out of a 15-minute Chowder short than two or three episodes of Family Guy (which I forgot to list) combined.

Invader Zim was a great one that got axed way before its prime. It just had the misfortune of coming around before Nickelodeon/NickToons TV had transitioned into a more daring network (Avatar has some pretty heavy stuff in it, while the new X-Men and Iron Man cartoons look to have more of the same). The show likely would have flourished had it come out more recently.

Funny, I just called Nickelodeon/NickToons TV "a more daring network", which is odd, since they currently edit their older cartoons for content (Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life suffer pretty badly from this) and some of their licensed cartoons (like Animaniacs) as well.

Odd how they censor their older shows but let their current series get away with far worse (Fairly Oddparents had just as many overtly sexual gags as Rocko but they never touched that one).
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Voltron: Defender of the Universe
Robotech
ExoSquad (damn I wish it would get released on DVD it a very good show)
G.I. Joe
Macross II
Macross Plus
Gundam
Gundam Char's Counterattack
Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Gundam Wing
Gundam Wing-The Endless Waltz
The Go-Bots
M.A.S.K.
Robotix

If I can ever get the money I would like to buy Z Gundam on DVD.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

As a Kid:
Gi Joe
Exosquad (I also wish for a DVD release)
TMNT
Gargoyals
Dino-riders-also needs a DVD release
Dragonball
Looneytoons(mostly Tom & Jerry)
Chip & Dales Rescue Rangers
Battletech

Now:
Chowder
Teen Titans
Full Metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
Full Metal Panic
Those who hunt elves
anything transformers (mostly thanks to Veoh.com)
and Code Lyoko
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

DrSpengler wrote:Invader Zim was a great one that got axed way before its prime.
I heartilly agree, a very good show indeed.:up:
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Just started watching Bleach I really like it.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Catalyst Dragon

I've been watching Robotech lately. I just finished the Macross Saga and am now on "The Masters"

Can anyone tell me what other series their are?
And if so inclined what order they should be watched in, storyline wise?
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

GUNDAM!

I sorta liked Macross Frontier, but I found the overly flashy visuals a bit too distracting and the supporting characters annoying.

Damn Ranka...
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
skywarp408
Protoform

Post by skywarp408 »

pretty much all the 80's cartoons thru early 90's. Started watching Robotech and Dancougar for the first time and like them. Not sure why I never cared about Robotech untill now.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Looney Tunes and similar classic shorts (provided they haven't been edited by culture weenies) laid the basis for my personal dementia.

Robotech from the same time frame as G1 Transformers.

Spanning then and now I really liked Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Bonkers ... there was a time in the 90s when Disney was hitting them out of the park. Add in Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Freakazoid (much, much missed) from WB.

Really, the 90s were a good time for American cartoons even though I still have to suppress the urge to hurl if I ever encounter Captain Planet while changing channels.

As for Anime: Bleach, Inyusha, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam ... things (just NOT the chibi Gundams), Paranoia Agent ... all for starts, it's a huge list.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Catalyst Dragon

I just finished watching all the old 80's-90's Robotech series and the Shadow Cronicals movie. Interesting series... now I'm wanting more.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

I've only just noticed the near complete lack of love for Avatar in this thread. A shame.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Just a Small list: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Undoubtley the best, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Macross 7, Avatar, as Gouki pointed out, Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter Robo, The Simpsons, Yugi-Oh, long time ago..., Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic!, just finished, Eureka Seven, Gunbuster aand Diebuster, Elfen Lied, Gundam 00 and Megas XLR, who doesn't remember the best pun to robots ever?

Anyone remembering Bikermice from Mars??? That was plain awesome.

(And, hell yeah, this is just what I liked....)
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Off topic, but I just had to double take Mospaeda's signature, a "Hello kids, I'm Garry Glitter" subliminal message raped my cornea at a cursory glance. Sadly it was far more inane on closer inspection.

However!

Always been a fan of 'Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors', but my enthusiasm tends to wain, once I've finished singing along to the theme tune. Likewise you could always catch me watching such them tune friendly hokum as 'Gummi Bears', 'Dreamstone' and 'Raccoons'.

My mispent youth, still it was better than watching live action tash like 'Children's Ward'.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Wildrider wrote:Always been a fan of 'Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors', but my enthusiasm tends to wain, once I've finished singing along to the theme tune. Likewise you could always catch me watching such them tune friendly hokum as 'Gummi Bears', 'Dreamstone' and 'Raccoons'.

My mispent youth, still it was better than watching live action tash like 'Children's Ward'.
:up:

I also liked Sharkey and George (Crimebusters of the sea... Sharkey and George they solve any mystery).
Civ

Post by Civ »

Here's one that I haven't watched until recently -- Avatar: The Last Airbender. It was surprisingly good and pretty humorous in places. It had a very nice storyline and it didn't drag-on. It only went for 3 seasons but I think that was planned. Mako's performance as General Iro was good up until he died and his replacement, I didn't even know was a replacement till I looked up the voice actors.

I'm surprised that I didn't see The Mysterious Cities of Gold mentioned. The intro was rather impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBafWOTTSTo
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:GUNDAM!
My first Gundam series was Mobile Fighter G Gundam back when it was on toonami.

Currently, I just finished watching the first season of Gundam 00. The designs kick ass. Now watching the second season.

Call me master of the obvious, but all Gundam shows have the same plot: humans that pilot robots that kick the crap out of each other.

That's so cool. :cool:
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I enjoy a bit of Family Guy, being that I'm 19, but lately I've found American Dad to be superior.
I love old comedy toons, like Bugs and Daffy and Tom and Jerry- particularly silent ones.
I quite enjoy that Avatar lark.
I like Pokémon and Digimon, but I'm fairly sure thats a combination of nostalgia and liking the videogames because the cartoons are mostly sh*t
Gundam and everything else with big-ass 'bots and mechs.
I like comics and mangas, particularly Death Note, Spiderman and Batman (though Spidey and Bats have both recently made massive changes that p*ss me off) and they always translate to enjoyable films but for some reason I find I have little time for the cartoons.

Oh, and Batfink
blastoff
Protoform

Post by blastoff »

all the xmen cartoons
You've got the wrong bunch
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I wish they would re-release X-Men Evolution on dvd. I got the first season and the first volume of the second, but there's nothing after that.
Destruction is my specialty
Catalyst Dragon

I've spent the past 2 months watching Naruto and Naruto Shippuden.
Just finished Shipp. ep 142 yesterday.
Also finished a short series(27 episodes) a few minutes ago.
Called Gurren Lagann
Mecha that have Jackolantern Faces!