[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought Transformers: War For Cybertron on X360 at Eb Games on Wednesday.
They said that they hadn't gotten the preorder codesin yet and that they would give me a call when the character unlocks would come in, however I will go in and ask them about it on Sunday.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Got TF: Cybertron Adventures (I know, stupid name) for the Wii on Tuesday. Not quite sure the game is worth $50. It's fun, for sure, but you don't have much control over your character (basically on rails) and the missions are too damn similar to be any fun. I'm 87% through the Decepticon campaign, and 37% through the Autobot campaign, and have yet to fight a true boss. Sometimes I just wish I had a high-def system even though I love the Wii. Ahhhh....
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I just bought Goblin Commander on the Gamecube from a car boot sale ('garage sale' for all you Americanians). And this is even though I don't have a Gamecube. I live in the hope that one day i'll be able to wrestle it back from my Niece, who I gave the GC to, and who now has a Wii. The GC was my favourite system.

Yesterday I was agonising over a PS3 but I couldn't think of enough games to justify it. The closest I got was:

- Brutal Legend
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Overlord II
- Saints Row II

I reckon I'd just get bored of it before I got my money's worth, like.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Auntie Slag wrote:Yesterday I was agonising over a PS3 but I couldn't think of enough games to justify it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEGA-Mega-Drive ... 083&sr=8-1

I plan to pick up Dragon Age Origins and Heavy Rain at some point when they're cheeeap.

To be honest, I tend to forget that my PS3's a games console. I use it primarily as a Blu Ray Player, or to stream the BBC iPlayer to my tv. Which more than makes up for the outlay.

Occasionally I'll throw GTA IV in to have another crack at the two missions that I can't do and have halted all progress in the game. I fail. I would play DJ Hero a lot more but I'm scared by how addictive it is (I'll just have a quick crack at this set... ooh, I've unlocked more stuff, I'll just quickly have a play and see what they're like, oh I've unlocked something else in the process. And so on).

This may all change when my copy of War for Cybertron turns up. :o
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Now that is a cool compilation. I bought the Sega Megadrive collection on PS2 last year, and it was great being able to save any game at any point (makes Sonic less painful). Although sadly the PS2 disc is missing all of Streets of Rage and Alien Storm.

Apparently Motor Storm: Pacific Rift is only £7.99 in GAME at the moment, which apprently is a bit of a barg if you like that kind of thing. Supposed to be dead playable for the few short rounds, in a similar vein to your DJ Hero crack addiction. :)

I like the idea of it being a nice, fat jukebox sitting under the TV, too. I know iPod's can be plugged into everything nowadays, but my iPod is oooooold and doesn't have the dock connector, whilst all my other tech is suitably of the 'stick a crank in it and turn the handle' variety.

Proper 'Hearts of Steel', like.

[Edit] I got well into Farenheit on the X-Box, so would most likely love Heavy Rain too. Hoping for a UK variant called 'Dull and overcast, with more rain to follow as we go through to the weekend'.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Plants Vs. Zombies
Hella addictive. Get it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Assassin's Creed was going cheap up town, and it was in English. Bloody good fun it is. I know I'm a good few years behind but I purposely waited for the PS3 to have a decent back catalogue before I bought one.

Planning to get War for Cybertron in the near future, maybe after my next paycheck comes through.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Plants Vs. Zombies
Hella addictive. Get it.
I've heard good things about it. I just recently bought an iPad and I think there's a version for it.

I also just bought Red Dead Redemption for $45 at Best Buy. Totally worth the price! I'm loving it so far!
Civ

Post by Civ »

It's a rarity for me to buy games at any time and even rarer to buy multiple games at one time unless it's for a gift. That said, today, I bought the "Ghostbusters" game for the PC and "Transformers: War for Cybertron" for the PC.

I also reserved Starcraft II and Civilization V. I'm really looking forward to the new Civ game.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Got Red Dead Redemption on Sunday. Having a good laugh with it so far. :up:
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

My copy of Lupin the Third: Greatest Brain Challenge(or however it translates) finally showed up. It's a combination platformer and puzzle game. What makes it really challenging is that, since all of the directions are in Japanese, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing on most, if not all, of them. I've passed two of the fur IQ challenges so far due mainly to pure dumb luck.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Civ

Post by Civ »

Latest acquisitions for me is the Ghostbusters game for PC and Transformers: War for Cybertron for PC. Both are solid games and loads of fun. I also put down my payment for Starcraft II and Civilization V.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought Lego Batman on X360 on Wednesday from JB HiFi cheap for $30.
Well worth it if your a fan of the Lego games.
Destruction is my specialty
TMM

Post by TMM »

HeavyArms wrote:Bought Lego Batman on X360 on Wednesday from JB HiFi cheap for $30.
Well worth it if your a fan of the Lego games.
lego batman rocks indeed! i love the 2 campaigns idea... great stuff!
First we crack the shell... Then we crack the nuts inside!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Today I got Doshin the Giant on Gamecube for £7.99 I was quite surprised to find it.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I actually bought it several months ago, but just started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Great game! Never played the original Paper Mario, but might have to look for it now.
And Ghostbusters for the Wii should be here in the mail today. Got it for about $15 shipped from ebay.
I'm kicking myself for not getting the collector's edition of Metroid Prime Trilogy at Target when it was on clearance for $30. Turns out that would have been a great buy. :(
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Doshin the Giant is a fantastically cool game. I bought it sometime last year and it's the business. Great fun all the way through and worth the £7.99 a couple of times over.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Something about Metroid Prime never really clicked with me, I new it was good and It certainly played well but I just couldn't get into it.
I've had Paper Mario TYD since it came out and I really liked it, I've never played the original either but I don't own an N64 so I'm in no rush to find out. Can you get it on VC?

@ Auntie Slag I felt great for get it so cheap as I've seen it marked much higher on e-bay, even the clerk remarked how good a find it was.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, I got mine at a car boot sale. The case was in spanish but the game was in English. Cost me a squid, but an utterly wonderful game.

I know what you mean about Metroid Prime. I had that too. Looks and plays gorgeously but I could never get into it. My housemate loved it to bits though, and I got bored after an hour or so. It really picks up as you start increasing the functionality of the morph ball.

Personally I couldn't get enough of Luigi's Mansion, Zoocube, Mario Sunshine & Double Dash.

The Gamecube has some incredible titles, not to mention some complete oddball ones like Odama, which combines pinball with a chinese army game with a microphone!

You flip the pinball and bark orders to your men to attack, go left, right etc helping to avoid the gigantic pinball that could flatten them whilst they're busy fighting the enemy.

Bonkers, but very cool.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Yeah great titles I miss the days of the cube, of course the good thing now is the games are so cheap it's mostly just a case of finding them. I'm on the lookout for Starfox Assault (not Adventures blegh!), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Wind Waker (shouldn't have sold it ): ).

Another thing I find now is that being a poor poor student I hardly see the point in buying Wii games a £40 a pop when I can acces a great library for pitence. I still really want some Wii titles but until I get my student loans (or a job) I'm not gonna splurge anytime soon.

Other cube bargains I've had are F-Zero GX £8, SW Rogue Leader £3 and Simpsons Road Rage £3. Also a load of PS1 stuff for almost nothing.