Any of the boys here try yoga?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Galvatron91

Any of the boys here try yoga?

Post by Galvatron91 »

So, since my last surgery I have managed to get most of my strength back in the weight room, but I'm struggling with some additional aches and pains and whatnot. A lot of my gal pals have told me to start taking yoga with them, which I think is a bad idea because they all like to wear ridiculously tight outfits and get all bendy...but hormones aside... any of the boys actually do yoga, thoughts on it? I mean is it effective for getting the kinks out of the system?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Yep. I like it.

As far as working out kinks, it depends what style and level of yoga you take. It's worked fine with me, and for awhile it was part of my morning routine.

It should be noted that some focus more on relaxation poses*, while others are more strenuous. I prefer the latter. You leave sore, but it's a good kind of sore. It's a lot like pilates in that respect.

(* Those courses also tend to focus on the 'spiritual' aspect of yoga as well. I personally don't care much for it.)
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I believe the gals take the more strenuous route as you said...they claim its a great workout and have said if I am serious about adding MMA to my workouts, yoga is a must-try.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I think if there's gals in tight clothing doing bendy stuff and asking you to come join them then you shouldn't need to ask whether or not it's a good idea.

Don't be an idiot...
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Hound wrote:I think if there's gals in tight clothing doing bendy stuff and asking you to come join them then you shouldn't need to ask whether or not it's a good idea.

Don't be an idiot...
There is a part of me that is actually concerned my body would fall apart doing it. My flexibility has never been great, but post-surgery its really bad.
Sades

Post by Sades »

It increases flexibility. You'll be sore as **** after the first few times, though.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Blah blah blah...

I'm sure they've got some kind of pansy beginner level that won't hurt you too bad.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You can get yoga instruction manuals for seniors, so it seems to cater for all comers. Just avoid the complex strains?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No-one's posted that Eric Prydez video yet? Bah. This is one of those Serious Topics I keep hearing about, isn't it?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

That wasn't yoga though was it?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I did pilates once last year. Full of women and me. It wasn't as raunchy as the Eric Prydz video by any means, but I learnt stuff about the core and how important it is.

Plus the teacher was like a pink Yoda, this short, squat little dude who looked a bit fat and out of shape, but christ was that guy strong!

Practically the only thing he didn't do was levitate. Freaky strength everywhere else though. This was all using the power of pilates/yoga and possibly CGI.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

I do it off and on for flexibility for hockey. If you play sports it actually gives you a huge advantage, especially in sports like American Football, rugby and hockey since it allows for gumby like maneuvering through scrums and piles.

I say do it, but if you're worried start at lower levels.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I know a few guys at my gym advocate something called 'Power Yoga' and is meant to be excellent for stretches and overall toning, but a bit like yourself I'm sceptical of it, someone just needs to re-invent the wheel and name it something men can feel safe doing, like, erm, Zero Combat Body Lunging.

I'd probably try it in the sanctity of my own home, safe from the prying and judgemental eyes of the rest of the world.

I should probably try it too, at the grand old age of 32 my gym routine can often leave me hobbling around with a fair bit of DOMS, it's never a good sign when you pop painkillers to finish a work out.

I've even invested in some magnetic voodoo bracelet, to 'increase blood flow and recovery', uh huh, well at least it looks funky.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

DOMS? You've lost me there, Wildrider, old bean...
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

i agree with Hound - hot women in tight clothes want you to come hang out with them... is there a discussion here? haha

On another note - could always take Karate or martial arts classes. I recently started one and it's been a blast so far.
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Tai Chi is great for joint aches and despite the slow movements and very little effort you do become surprisingly flexible, Qi Gung is particularly effective. Karate is also great for fitness and flexibility, I've been training for just over a year now and I can now lift my leg to head height with very little strain.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin: