Hey, Brits...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Hey, Brits...

Post by Sades »

So if you turn on the BBC right now, you see like four day's worth of programming regarding the Kate/William wedding. It kinda gives the impression that your world has stopped and this is all you care about, and will care about for the next week. So, my question is, are you still drinking tea, playing football and watching Dr Who? Just checking.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sades wrote:are you still drinking tea, playing football and watching Dr Who? Just checking.
Wow, that really is all you guys do isn't it?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't watch Doctor Who because I object to my licence fee helping keep a sex offender in work. But aside from that...

I'm trying to ignore the wedding (nothing particularly against the royals, but at the same time no particular interest in two people I don't know getting married), as are a surprising amount of the local population. I'd certainly be surprised if there's a single street party in all of Stanmore, and very few companies seem to be actually giving people the day off.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

i drink tea, watch Doctor Who don't play football and wont be watching the wedding. i wont mind catching it on the news, but i can just imagine how horrific the whole spectacle will be in the age of rolling 24 hour news coverage. it will basically consist of an hour's worth of interest padded out by endless hours of toe curling banality as the live reporters and studio presenters waffle on for hours about the nothing happening in the meantime. why do we have to copy everything the americans do? just because its from america doesn't mean its good. stupid 24 hour news.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It seems to be some sort of bizzaro Bank Holliday where, if your normal work day is on the Friday you can have it off or work it with whatever your BH pay is, but if it isn't a work day you don't get it in lieu as you normally would with Easter/whatever. At least that's how Tesco are doing it anyway.

Despite the general "Who cares?" thing going on everyone on the night shift is of course taking the day off.

I did manage to get deeply annoyed at one of the 5000 documentaries on last night where some rent-a-quote cheap celebs were going on about how "Amazing" she was at the meet and greet thing. Because it's so bloody hard to just walk and smile at the same time.

I love the thought of that quick cash in TV Movie with Sarek as Prince Charles that Five had on last weekend though.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm drinking tea, and I have a tea towel commemorating the Royal wedding. Its a cool one with a cartoon Corgi on it, as opposed to a cheesy bleached photo of the couple.

I'm not a Royalist, but I enjoy the pomp and circumstance. And I'll be playing Henry Hatsworth & The Puzzling Adventure to commemorate. He's a tea drinking superhero on the DS!

Good show.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I almost prefer the earthquakes...

At least I can still drink my tea, watch the kids play football (it's ok, I work in a school, I'm not just stalking random kids), and erm, well, I'm a bit behind on doctor who, I didn't even know there were sex offenders.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm drinking tea right now!
I'm working on the wedding because I basically 2 1/2 pay and all of my co-workers are middle-aged women who want it off.
I lurve a bit of doctor who.
And no-one lets me play football any more because I slide tackle.
I like bears.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

All of this tea talk reminds me, if you're in a room full of Brits and fancy starting an argument, just ask if when you're making a brew, the milk or hot water should go in first.

Incidentally, the Royal family put the hot water in first. But they also have sex with close reltives on a fairly regular basis, so make of that what you will/what you Will.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Milk in first, then introduce a splash of boiling water, the milk gets used to it, gets happy, then pour the rest in.

Always a decent cup of tea that way, never bitter.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Coffee generally.

And I am gonna regret this I am sure. Who is the sex offender Cliffy makes reference to?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"Come with me, little boy, I have sweeties in my TARDIS if you let me take photographs of you"
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Phwoar, keep feeling fascination!:smokin:
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

You going off looks, or have I actually missed something?
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm sure the type of sweets have a lot to do with it.

Wham bar... not any more.

Curly Wurly... righto!

And if its a Kinder egg, that's chocolate AND something to play with. Everyone's a winner.

[Edit] And perhaps the only decent line from 'A Mighty Wind'; "My parents used to abuse me, though it was mostly musical in nature".
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

@Cliffy when did that happen?

I put hot water in first my mum puts milk in first and it tastes the same to me. My Grandad just waves a teabag near a mug to get his desired strength of brew.

Not fussed about the wedding but my friend is having a bbq on the day and having it on in the background so I guess I'm celebrating a bit.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

*walks around looking confused and feeling lost*
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

God if I was a rock/TV/film star my debauchery would be of a strictly on-the-level type of depravity. You know; women, drugs, certain animals.

Certainly not like the baby-eating Bishop of Bath & Wells.
Sades

Post by Sades »

The milk goes in first with me. Always has, assuming I'm using milk.

Some (some) of the programming seems to be stuff I'd watch for a little while- four days is a bit much. And I think it was CTV here that's just as bad with their "royal wedding coverage". They started advertising at the beginning of April, and iirc will be live at the wedding, which happens at ridiculous o'clock here. So if I REALLYREALLY wanted to, I could tune in at 3 AM and watch it live!

*rolls eyes*
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Water and teabag in first, then the milk.

This is because I don't own a teapot. If I am making tea at my parents' house, it's the other way around.

Erm, sorry, were you asking about the royal wedding? Exactly the same as Cliffy:
I'm trying to ignore the wedding (nothing particularly against the royals, but at the same time no particular interest in two people I don't know getting married)
I'm also slightly anti-weddings as events, generally because of how stupid certain people I know can get over them. My mate got in trouble because he said he was more looking forward to the stag weekend than the wedding for instance. :)

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"