Osama Bin Laden Dead.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Big Daddy
Protoform

Post by Big Daddy »

People said the IRA would never go away, and while there still are fanatical splinter groups and the like out there progress that was unthinkable 20-30 years ago has been made. There's always a chance that the people who aren't t**ts who blow up women and children will win out against the ones who are :)
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Hound wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if this will get Obama re-elected or not...
Obama has certainly bene on a run of good news and his opponoents seem to kee pressing the self-destruct button when they challenge him. He got his Healthcare bill through, Palin just looks dumb, Glenn Beck was fired for going to far and turning people away from Fox News, the Tea party is going back to being irrevelant because their leaders are stupid, polls indicate that the public see that Obama is working with the Republicans and GOP aren't cooperating which made Clinton look good for his second term, Trump and the birthers has just been made Obama's bitch, the right can't get behind a moderate and now Obama has just made himself look gold by succeeding where Bush failed.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

The world is ending. Limbaugh and Glenn beck are pouring praise on Obama. Beck even without a hint of negativity:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard ... glenn-beck

Rush Limbaugh: 'Thank god for President Obama.' Photograph: Eric Risberg/AP
Osama bin Laden was a divisive figure in life but in death he brought together an unholy trinity of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Barack Obama – with Limbaugh and Beck, two of Obama's harshest critics, uniting in praise of Obama's action.

"We need to open the programme today by congratulating President Obama," Limbaugh declared on his daily syndicated radio show on Monday. "President Obama has done something extremely effective, and when he does, this needs to be pointed out."

As always with Limbaugh, his words were laden with sarcasm, poking fun at the idea that Obama single-handedly executed the mission:

Thank God for President Obama. If he had not been there, who knows what would have happened. It was only Obama who understood the need to get DNA, to prove that this was Bin Laden that we had assassinated.

And there were backhanded compliments from Limbaugh as well: "We need to never forget that President Obama deserves praise for continuing the policies established by George W Bush which led to the acquisition of this intel that led us to the enlarged hut in Pakistan that led to the assassination of Bin Laden last night."

Glenn Beck was even more effusive than Limbaugh in his radio talk show on Monday, saying: "First of all, congratulations to President Obama. He got him."

Beck's praise echoed Limbaugh in thanking god for Obama, although without Limbaugh's trademark tongue-in-cheek note:

Thank God we have a president who actually authorized the shoot to kill. That is a surprising shock to me. And I think that deserves to be said, that I didn't think that this president would actually pull the trigger well, he didn't, but have somebody pull the trigger. And he did. Congratulations, President Obama. Thank you for doing the right thing on this.

Other Republican and conservative commentators also praised Obama in a rare outbreak of bipartisanship. Bill Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard, blogged:

Congratulations to all those, from the president on down, who are responsible for the achievement of tracking down and killing Osama bin Laden. The wheels of justice may sometimes turn slowly, but turn they do – with the help of the United States armed forces and intelligence personnel. Justice has been done.

But not every red-blooded Republican was able to offer even faint praise. Sarah Palin was almost alone in a churlish silence on the White House's role in Bin Laden's death, skipping over the administration to praise the US military in a Facebook post:

God bless all the brave men and women in our military and our intelligence services who contributed to carrying out the successful mission to bring Bin Laden to justice and who laid the groundwork over the years to make this victory possible.
Palin is still incapable of being on the wavelength of either common sense or the wider public opinion.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Jetfire wrote:Obama has just made himself look gold by succeeding where Bush failed.
Except that a lot of the intel work took place 4-6 years ago. This wasn't just Obama's administration. It was a loooooong process.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Notabot wrote:Except that a lot of the intel work took place 4-6 years ago. This wasn't just Obama's administration. It was a loooooong process.
It was, hence why I said "Obama looks gold". Nobody is giving Obama total credit and nobody isn't saying it wasn't a massive team effort. However Obama was given the intel and was the one to make the call to go in, despite Bin Laden not having been spotted and for the plan they used to go ahead. He made the right call, he gets some of the credit for being the comander in chief who took responsibility for the right call, even many republicans are saying this.

Edit: I just heard on the news it was Obama who told the CIA to make Bin Laden number 1 priority which accelerated the process. Obama has succeed where two presidents failed.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Oh, definitely. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any credit, and I'm not at all saying that this is all the product of the Bush administration.

I heard an interesting piece on the radio today talking about how Obama was basically ordering the strike while he was touring the storm-ravaged south and while giving his comedic speech against Trump. That had to have been hard not to let the cat out of the bag until it was all done.

In fact, a number of higher ups have said how amazing it is that "We know where Osama is, and we're gonna get him" has been kept a secret so well for all these years. Yea for government non-ineptitude!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Notabot wrote:Oh, definitely. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any credit, and I'm not at all saying that this is all the product of the Bush administration.

I heard an interesting piece on the radio today talking about how Obama was basically ordering the strike while he was touring the storm-ravaged south and while giving his comedic speech against Trump. That had to have been hard not to let the cat out of the bag until it was all done.
The man is good is he not?

The fact is we know the Bush adminstration had Osama bin Laden cornered and in the bag......and they ****ed up his capture and allowed him to escape to Pakistan. What credit do they deserve in that regard? When Obama had his chance he nailed the ****er.

In fact, a number of higher ups have said how amazing it is that "We know where Osama is, and we're gonna get him" has been kept a secret so well for all these years. Yea for government non-ineptitude!
What?!!!???? They aren't saying anything of the sort, in fact it was "We have no ****ingh clue if he's alive, let alone where he is except perhaps Pakistan". The decision was put to Obama, the intel was basically "We think he's here but we haven't seen him" and Obama made the call. Before that Obama told to CIA to akke Osama bin Laden their numbe r1 priority and chaired the meetings which discussed how they could do this. It's been 100% successful in that regard and by all accounts Obama pushed and drove the whole thing and made the big call when it came down to it. The US general guy is saying what a gutsy call it was by him in fact.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

anyone else find it a bit dodgy that his body was dumped at sea?

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

What else were they supposed to do with it? Burying it would turn the grave sight into a shrine for loons and a target for attacks (as has apparently been the case with Sadaam's grave). Other than them sticking it in the Pentagon vault or stuffing him and hanging him in the Oval Office the only real options were either cremation or burial at sea (and I've no idea how acceptable the former is under the Islamic rituals they were trying to observe).

I suppose they could have done a 50 State tour of the corpse to try and shut up the conspiracy nuts, but nothing's likely to convince them anyway.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Conveniently it also prevents anyone else from performing DNA tests on his corpse to prove his identity.

And any video released after his death can easily have been recorded before his death just for this kinda situation.

That said though, I wish they should have tried capturing him alive and then treating him with compassion. Why, do you ask? Well, for one thing, killing him would simply turn him into a martyr - hell, even merely suffering would've probably turned him into one - but instead allowing him to live and give him all the consideration he never gave to his enemies, well, let's just say it'll give his supporters hard time hating on an enemy who remains nice to you even after you try to kill them; it'll just make them look like inconsiderate pricks.
Big Daddy
Protoform

Post by Big Daddy »

Al-Qaeda are already fanatics, and already regard Bin Laden as some sort of God anyway for planning the WTC attacks. They're not going to get any more fanatical just because someone's slotted their semi-retired leader, because they were off the flipping chain anyway. This isn't a comic book.

There would actually have been more chance of direct terrorist attacks if he'd been held prisoner somewhere - release Bin Laden, or we blow up this school. He deserves no compassion, he was lower than vermin.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Big Daddy wrote:There would actually have been more chance of direct terrorist attacks if he'd been held prisoner somewhere - release Bin Laden, or we blow up this school. He deserves no compassion, he was lower than vermin.
Indeed - and according to the news sources, he hid behind his women during the firefight.

A real ****ing hero right there.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Prowl1984 wrote:anyone else find it a bit dodgy that his body was dumped at sea?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Prowl1984 wrote:anyone else find it a bit dodgy that his body was dumped at sea?
From what I understand, Muslim practices require a quick burial after death. And also from what I understand, US military officials could not find a country willing to take the remains. Therefore the body was buried at sea.

IMO, probably for the better since any sort of burial ground would be just asking for trouble. It may seem dodgy, but would there have been any better way of handling the situation?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Tetsuro wrote:Conveniently it also prevents anyone else from performing DNA tests on his corpse to prove his identity.

And any video released after his death can easily have been recorded before his death just for this kinda situation.
But people who aren't going to accept this as real probably never were. Should they have really kept the body so they could pass it around to anyone else who wanted to take DNA?
That said though, I wish they should have tried capturing him alive and then treating him with compassion. Why, do you ask? Well, for one thing, killing him would simply turn him into a martyr - hell, even merely suffering would've probably turned him into one - but instead allowing him to live and give him all the consideration he never gave to his enemies, well, let's just say it'll give his supporters hard time hating on an enemy who remains nice to you even after you try to kill them; it'll just make them look like inconsiderate pricks.
But he'd have wound up dead anyway, even the Chewbacca defence wouldn't have got him off the death penalty. They tried to take him alive, but effectively it proved impossible. Lets not forget, he wasn't hiding under a rock in a cave, but in a heavily armed large building where there was a fairly nasty fire fight.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Tetsuro wrote:Conveniently it also prevents anyone else from performing DNA tests on his corpse to prove his identity.

They did try to take him alive, bin Laden refused (as expected).
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Jetfire wrote:They did try to take him alive, bin Laden refused (as expected).
Did they? The impression I got from what I've been reading is that the SEALs were sent in with explicit orders to kill him.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

makes a bit more sense now. I'm not a conspiracy nut or anything, It just seemed like a strange add-on to the announcement "Osama Bin Laden has been killed in a fire fight near Pakistan *cough*and his body was buried at sea*cough*"

Hunter S.Thompson
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Quite surprised this hasn't been posted yet

Hunter S.Thompson
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Warcry wrote:Did they? The impression I got from what I've been reading is that the SEALs were sent in with explicit orders to kill him.
You are reading rubbish then. It's been quoted several times that they could take him alive, Obama's anti-terroist chief said this specifically to the media on TV but they didn't expect him to come alive.