Thor

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Summerhayes

Thor

Post by Summerhayes »

Watched Thor today. Absolutely top bloody notch.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Probably my favourite of this run of Marvel films. The Asgard bits and the superheroics were done epically and managed to feel just like the comics without quite making that leap into camp, at least to me. The other scenes, with Thor out-of-place on modern earth were hilarious and the relationship with the obligitary love interest managed to not feel irritating and tacked-on.

And of course, at the end we get our Nick Fury showing off the cosmic cube, leading nicely into the Avengers film.

Loki sneaking into that scene worries me slightly that the Avengers film might end up just having, as its antagonist, just everyone's villains teaming up. Which would be a waste, I think.
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

The title seemed possibly spoiler-y to me, so I edited.
though I know expecting Thor to be in the Avengers movie is kind of a given, I'm looking at it from a newb type perspective.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

fair enough. I only went with that title because I assumed the thread would derail into all the Marvelverse films
I like bears.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Just saw it. Greatly enjoyed. The pacing was really well done, especially considering the scattered trailer. All the characters were well handled, especially Loki, even though he lacked the strutting flamboyancy he's had in the comics I've read him in.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I saw it earlier. Quality. Asgard was stunning. I was a bit worried that Asgardians in modern day would be tacky, but it was done pretty well.

I loved Loki. Very rarely do we see such a thin line between 'good guy' and 'bad guy'. In fact, I think right up until the point he let the Frost Giants in, he was still on the fence... Nice work.

I think I now need to go back and watch the 2008 Incredible Hulk, so I've seen all the films in this Marvel universe thingy.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

tahukanuva wrote: Loki, even though he lacked the strutting flamboyancy he's had in the comics I've read him in.
Much as I like big, camp, comic-book villains I doubt they could have pulled off the "is-he-good, is-he-bad" dynamic. I suspect he'll be hammed right up if there are sequels.
Sixswitch wrote:I think I now need to go back and watch the 2008 Incredible Hulk, so I've seen all the films in this Marvel universe thingy.
Its actually pretty good- my only gripe was that, perhaps through Norton's meddling, it tried to pretend it was much more intelligent and original than actually was.
Much better than the 2003 one (not that that's saying much.)
I like bears.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Awesome film! I thought it got off to a shaky start but after about 30mins i was loving it! Kudos to Fandral and Heimdall, they were brilliant and probably the strongest of the backing characters. Sif was a bit of a wet lettuce but never mind. Favourite bit would be
When Thor gets Mjolnir back and has that massive smackdown in the clouds, that whole scene was shot beautifully and probably the most jaw dropping moment of the film.

Hawkeye did pretty much nothing but it was a nice cameo.

Looking forward to The Avengers even more now! not long to go....

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I saw it recently. WAY better than I expected, especially when you consider how bad the marvel movies can get. I guess they've been on a streak lately, because the Iron Man II and Incredible Hulk movies were alright. Possibly a solid 8.5/10.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Saw it last week with the wife... loved it.
Clint Barton
- making an appearence was awesome, when he reached for the bow, I admit I geeked out a little.

The thing that made me laugh was, in the first panning over the main castle in Asgard, it reminded me of the Castle of Eternia....

So, when
Thor got the hammer back
raising his hand to the sky, with the lightning bolt... I was expecting "I have the power!!!"