The Madness of Lord Galvatron

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
NeoRanger
Protoform

Post by NeoRanger »

I always assumed it was the year-long lava bath that made him completely cuckoo... though the torture and humiliation probably had something to do with it as well. But I didn't factor these until I was old enough to comprehend basic psychology.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

NeoRanger wrote:But I didn't factor these until I was old enough to comprehend basic psychology.
One would hope that a Transformer's programming matrix would at least be in C+. :D
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
NeoRanger
Protoform

Post by NeoRanger »

Rurudyne wrote:One would hope that a Transformer's programming matrix would at least be in C+. :D
No, not really. There are really just hundreds of tiny Kremzeeks changing bulbs inside their heads :p
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

I don't recall seeing Unicron ever use a trigger. Where exactly is it located, above Galvatron's battery compartment? Besides, I already explained it using official canon, surely you wouldn't dispute Takara's fanon, I mean canon.
Sorry, I should perhaps have chosen a different phrase. By "Trigger" I meant whatever it was that allowed him to inflict pain on Galvatron at a whim (As seen when Galvatron considers disobeying Unicron's orders)

And yes, I would gladly dispute the "Canon" of a company that created Kiss Players. I'll take any fanciful fan theory over the penis tongued Legion monsters that were supposedly "Made" from Galvatron.
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Galvatron37

Post by Galvatron37 »

I had always thought it was a combination of Unicron being destroyed (somewhat), and his time spent in the lava pit on Thrull.

It's too bad that he did go insane, in the movie he was the man!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Well, it was pretty well established in the dialogue in Webworld that Galvatron's madness was largely because of his lava bath that we saw him in FFoD, but I suppose you can throw in a great big amount of identity crisis as well.

I mean hell, in the comics the identity crisis was far more prominent, in addition to the obvious God complex, and he was still much more collected than he was in the cartoon.
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

When Cyclonus, Scourge and the Sweeps found him on Thrull, Galvatron claimed that his plasma bath made him stronger. Though at the zoom in of his face, sparkling can be seen suggesting his head had been fried during his bath. This was the first indication that the lava/plasma bath had fried his senses.

Galvatron was certified insane, he more often attacked his own forces then the Autobots. During the events of Webworld, it was indeed noted that his circuits had been fried during the plasma bath on Thrull, though it is also noted that he regained some of his sanity in the end of the episode, this also carried on during the episodes that came after.

His sanest moment would perhaps be when he meets Optimus again during the Return of Optimus Prime, Galvatron barely showed any lack of sanity, and even in the end he opted that there would be no fighting today. One could say that his former Megatron persona came out during these events, but personally I never saw much of an identity crisis in Galvatron.

He seemed pretty sane during the Rebirth as well, less of a loonie and more of a leader. Transformers Headmasters was....so-so to say the least, he was more in between up to the last episodes he appeared in...I mean c'mon, fatty mcfatfat Galvatron? http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/c/c9/Grandgalvatron.jpg That's pretty insane to me.

The comics differed with Galvatron, going by the UK series with his first appearance in Target: 2006, he was very much sane like the movie version was, they only added his "I am a God!" persona with it which was more prominent in the comics. His second appearance however, when he uses the timetravel device right after Rodimus hurled him through Unicrons leg, he was less sane and more power hungry insane. Though, he had his moments of sanity. Time Wars Galvatron was completely insane to say the least. (I'm not sure if he is Galvatron 1, I think he is.) The Galvatron towards the end of the series was pretty sane, but Unicron did nab him from another dimension where, I think at least, he had beaten the Autobots...so he had no plasma bath it seems. He was hell bend on defying Unicron however, much like the movie version did, except no glowing red and moments of pain. (Perhaps cause he was not created by Unicron in this dimension he was in now? Who knows.)

Also...Kiss Players description on what happened to him? Sacrilege, pure sacrilege and blasphemy...but hey, that's like everything else about Kiss Players. Then again...appearing in Kiss Players alone might have driven him insane...
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

The UK comic Galvy was mostly insane in his post-Target 2006 appearances because of a combination of his own God-complex and having lost to a young punk like Hot Rod, and the Time Wars Galvatron was certifiably insane because dealing with his own past self put a major zap on his memories.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

Ackula wrote:You are all wrong. According to Takara's official cannon the following happened after the Transformers movie...

Yeah...I'd be pretty ****ing insane after all that happened too....
whoa, seriously? That explains a lot...
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Sheba wrote:whoa, seriously? That explains a lot...
Yeah, it was a few years ago when Takara inexplicably decided to shoehorn Car Robots and KISS Players into the G1 continuity. Oh, and I think they shoved Binaltech in there somehow too.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

When Galvatron got plunged into the lava pit he saw what IDW would do with his world he just... snapped.

Case closed, next!
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

No discussion of Galvatron's insanity is complete without this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpAU-pW ... re=related

MILO the meteorite!

Galvatron is giving missions to objects now
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Considering the random names the Headmasters dub gave everyone and everything that weren't even consistent from one episode to another...yeah.
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

My theory is as follows (and actually combines a couple of stuff that has been said before)

GALVATRON's Madness is actually MEGATRON's MAdness cranked up to 11Why?
Because GALVATRON is meant to be everything Megatron and given a major power boost. His strengths, his weaknesses, his personality, his combat experience, his insanity.

Think about it.
Megatron did at times have his bouts of irrational actions, gradiose but idiotic (in hindsight) plans and he did occasionally turn on his own troops.

Galvatron has all those tendencies but had them CONSTANTLY instead of just occasionally.

But wait? He was pretty sane during TF: TM- AHA! That's cos Unicron himself was restraining MEgatron's innate insanity. Unicron knew that boosting everything that was awesome about Megatron would also boost everything that was unsavory about him and thus placed something akin to mental blocks within Galvatron so that Megatron's flaws would not surface.
Remember during the final battle where Unicron was very distracted by the battle outside him? Galvatron was already starting to show some semblence of Megatron's insanity, even quoting a previous line Megatron had said.

Once Unicron was serverly weakened by the matrix, that control wavered and we saw more aspects of MEgatron returning to GAlvatron. The Lava bath served to completely destroy any hold Unicron had over GAlvatron. When that happened, all of Megatron's flaws (which were cranked up to 11 thanks to Unicron) returned, INCLUDING HIS HOARSE FRANK WELKER VOICE which got higher in pitch!
(yes this is also my explanation why TF:TM Galvatron sounds different from season 3 Galvatron and also my explanation why Unicron can no longer inflict pain on Galvatron, or even communicate telepathicly with his former creation)

After the MAtrix power got released worldwide in Return of Optimus Prime, Galvatron's MAdness wasnt healed.
But rather, Unicron's dark tampering was completely deleted. Galvatron's mind returned to Megatron levels of "sanity". As did his power level (remeber in THe Rebirth, Galvatron did not seem as powererful as Galvatron in Season 3)

opinions?
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

relak wrote:opinions?
Judging from my earlier posts in the thread I'm both a hopeless geek and occasional smartass? ;)

... But ... the idea that it was Unicron's ramping up Megatron's —everything— that led to some of his woes as well as a power boost might make good fodder for some fanfic. There is precedent in G1 (with the Heart of Cybertron) for a mech's potency being able to be boosted. However, the only problem I see is that the one time Galvy inarguably demonstrated greater power than normal was when he offed Starscream.

He was really, really pissed when he offed Starscream: which may count for something.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
relak
Protoform

Post by relak »

I figured that one time uber discharge of power on Starscream was a both physical and symbolic

Physical in that it was the very first time Galvatron is using his Alt mode. Everything's brand spanking new, and maybe there's just a lot more residual Unicron power floating around that he unleashes on Starscream.

Symbolic in that this is Megatron's eons of pent up frustration, anger, and hate toward Starscream's backstabbing nature all unleased in one lean mean package.