I survived Twilight

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I've sort of viewed the "Twilight" series as basically being female-marketed preposterous, steamy romance novels but with vampires in them. You know; the kind of romance novels that used to have Fabio on the cover? And I... don't think I'm too off the mark.

It's so far out of my demographic I never paid it much mind, though considering all the media attention, it's hard to ignore them completely, either.

As a horror fan, I accepted the whole "vampires are sexy" thing a long time ago, even if I prefer the hideous, malformed "Count Orlock" variety (I'm also content with a merging of the two, ala Count Dracula). Outside of phasing the "ugly" vampires out even further, I don't see "Twilight" as doing any worse damage to the subgenre, and there will always be authors and filmmakers content on countering the influence of "Twilight" with gruesome classic vampires, so we're bound to see some backlash sooner or later.

Stephanie Meyer, though, seems to be a bargain basement Anne Rice, from everything I've heard. I've never read Rice's "Vampire Chronicles" (though Barnes & Noble has a hardback collection of the first three novels for $20 bucks I've ocassionally cosidered), but I did enjoy the "Interview with the Vampire" film. That's about as far into the "pretty boy vampire" stuff I'll go.

But man, I don't know how you can willingly subject yourself to books you know will be awful. I'm not as fast a reader as others, since I tend to get distracted with other hobbies, but if I dedicate my time to a full length novel and the thing turns out to be garbage? I feel more ripped off than anything else for the time I invested in it. A bad movie? At least it was only two hours. A bad comic? At least it was only a few minutes? A bad novel? How many days did I waste on that crap? Dammit.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

DrSpengler wrote:But man, I don't know how you can willingly subject yourself to books you know will be awful. I'm not as fast a reader as others, since I tend to get distracted with other hobbies, but if I dedicate my time to a full length novel and the thing turns out to be garbage? I feel more ripped off than anything else for the time I invested in it. A bad movie? At least it was only two hours. A bad comic? At least it was only a few minutes? A bad novel? How many days did I waste on that crap? Dammit.
As someone who kind of enjoyed them, I'm probably not the guy to reply, but I find that once I start reading something, even if I don't like it I just have to finish. But I am quite a quick reader.
I like bears.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

The author is a mormon.

So if you thought you sensed some pro-mormon ideas in the story...you were absolutely right!
Pool
Protoform

Post by Pool »

The movies are on the same level of bad as the Transformers ones. That said, there is nothing wrong with turning off your brain occasionally.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Tetsuro wrote:The author is a mormon.
I read this as "Moron".

I then chose to read the rest of it as "moron", because it made me giggle.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!