[New RPG] Master Technology

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Warcry wrote:Fort Max is big enough that as long as he's still perceived as 'huge' by the other characters it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm meaning more for Cerebros and Fortress Robot modes....

Anyway, I think I'm going off on a tangent...

But, since it was brought up here:

What are your (Warcry specifically) and our (RPG players in general) thoughts on Minicon Super Weapons:

The Star Saber, Skyboom Shield, Requiem Blaster, Umbral Blaster, Energon Saber... think that's it, did I miss anything?

Edit: I also know there's more mods in the RPG... but they don't post here... so Warcry gets the brunt of my questions.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If you want to play three Minicons that combine into a sword or a gun, feel free. Don't expect them to be all that much more powerful than a regular weapon of that size/type, though. We'd already agreed that Minicons shouldn't be as super-powerful as they are in Armada, so that would have to carry forward to their combined weapon modes and the like too.

Now if those Minicons happened to get an injection of Dark Energon... :glance:
Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

Dark Enegons around?

On topic however, I agree with Brave. Japan did the Headmaster concept much better.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Dark Enegons around?
Eventually, yes :)
If you want to play three Minicons that combine into a sword or a gun, feel free. Don't expect them to be all that much more powerful than a regular weapon of that size/type, though. We'd already agreed that Minicons shouldn't be as super-powerful as they are in Armada, so that would have to carry forward to their combined weapon modes and the like too.
I suddenly have an inkling for playing Leader-1... :glance: Even know who to pair him with too. You know what? Consider him selected! :D
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Shine

Post by Shine »

Blackjack wrote:Mostly that it has become somewhat stale over the numerous times it has been used. Combiners are treated as big, lumbering powerhouses without much of a brain. And in the cartoon they can be tripped with a tripwire.
This is true for the majority of them, but don't forget about Predaking, Defensor, Computron and Piranacon. They are intelligent beings, able to act accordingly and independently. So they can't all be considered to be big, dumb robots.
Blackjack wrote:Not to mention that the mental bonds are never properly explored.
All the more reason for gestalts to exist.

The bonds between the combiner team members are unique and they intrigue me greatly (and other people, too, I hope). There's an abundance of potential to be had with them in terms of inter-team relationships, particularly after their gestalt has been created.
Blackjack wrote:I think, if, say, Menasor or Devastator or whatever are introduced, they would be weapons of destruction on par with Sixshot or Omega Supreme. Maybe not Omega, but thereabouts.
I agree. Omega has always seemed to be the best of the "big guys". It would only make sense if he were more capable than a gestalt.
Blackjack wrote:Whatever we need ]
This is good to know. :)
Warcry wrote:If you want to play three Minicons that combine into a sword or a gun, feel free. Don't expect them to be all that much more powerful than a regular weapon of that size/type, though. We'd already agreed that Minicons shouldn't be as super-powerful as they are in Armada, so that would have to carry forward to their combined weapon modes and the like too.
This is sweet! I'm so tempted to claim the Air Defense Team!

I agree that they shouldn't be super-powerful as you say, but I think they should still be powerful nonetheless; noticeably better than most weapons. But perhaps only as good as the one who wields them to make it more balanced.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

This is true for the majority of them, but don't forget about Predaking, Defensor, Computron and Piranacon. They are intelligent beings, able to act accordingly and independently. So they can't all be considered to be big, dumb robots.
Wel, Superion, Defensor, Computron and Predaking all share a common goal as a unit. Don't know about the Seacons, but if you go by the Japanese version, Snaptrap really is the only one with a sane mind and the others are basically just drones more or less.

Also, with Menasor/The Stunticons, I've always found them more effective and a bigger threat as a unit that's not combined instead of combined into Menasor.
All the more reason for gestalts to exist.

The bonds between the combiner team members are unique and they intrigue me greatly (and other people, too, I hope). There's an abundance of potential to be had with them in terms of inter-team relationships, particularly after their gestalt has been created.
I agree and I'll have to say that I'll be happy to have Tarantulas (and probably Team Science) explore that, but I agree with Warcry & Blackjack, that there has to be a reason for it. I could imagine that the Decepticons having a hard time beating Omega Supreme could considered a good reason for Team Science to explore options ;)
I agree. Omega has always seemed to be the best of the "big guys". It would only make sense if he were more capable than a gestalt.
The name alone makes him a badass :D
This is sweet! I'm so tempted to claim the Air Defense Team!

I agree that they shouldn't be super-powerful as you say, but I think they should still be powerful nonetheless; noticeably better than most weapons. But perhaps only as good as the one who wields them to make it more balanced.
Cool! Leader-1 could use some friends to interact with :)

I'm hoping that the Sword is not going to be like Wolverine's Adamantium or something. Able to cut through anything. that is. I'm fine with it being unbreakable or whatever but making it do one hit kills and ripping the planet in half in the proces is something I would rather not see. :|
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Shine wrote:The bonds between the combiner team members are unique and they intrigue me greatly (and other people, too, I hope). There's an abundance of potential to be had with them in terms of inter-team relationships, particularly after their gestalt has been created.
You can't necessarily assume that any gestalt we create will be one of the preexisting teams, though. We could just as easily make a combiner team out of Lugnut, Skywarp, Thrust and a couple other jets as Predaking or Menasor.
Shine wrote:I agree. Omega has always seemed to be the best of the "big guys". It would only make sense if he were more capable than a gestalt.
Well, he's five miles long and has an plasma cannon powered by nuclear reactor in this universe, so he'd damn well better be. But he doesn't even have a robot mode, so the odds of him getting into a fistfight with Abominus or someone are probably pretty low. ;)

Sky Lynx is probably the most apt comparison we've got so far.
Shine wrote:I agree that they shouldn't be super-powerful as you say, but I think they should still be powerful nonetheless; noticeably better than most weapons. But perhaps only as good as the one who wields them to make it more balanced.
I'll be honest. I'm not sold on how three airplanes that combine into something that kinda looks like a sword is going to be a better weapon than an actual blade. How would you explain that?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Brave Maximus wrote:On that vein though, is there anything Team Science wouldn't do?
Scorponok would never try and find the solution to the timeless conundrum of why cables will invariably tie themselves into mind-boggling knots the moment you put them in the drawer.
Brave Max wrote:Scorponok's basement = house of "fun"
But there is free candy there, kids!
Brave Max wrote:Edit: I just realized I didn't quote any of Blackjack's comments in here... I am not re-editing it in... ><
-Sulks even more-
Springer85 wrote:Wheeljack on the other hand won't do anything unethical. He'll stretch the borders a litlle, but that's it.
For unethical Autobot shit, we have Prowl.
Warcry wrote:And Powermasters are just silly. "Sorry, Prime. I can't go into battle until my human partner wolfs down fifty cheeseburgers." Nonsense!
I've always thought Power core combiners are like Powermasters, but instead of cheeseburger-eating humans, they have Minicons that allow them to combine and stuff like that.
Warcry wrote:I'd like to see them treated more like independent characters, though, and less like the accessories they were in the 80s fiction.
This.
Warcry wrote:There's a lot of ways you could make it work if you wanted to, but thinking of gestalts strictly in terms of a weapon they don't make much sense.
The same reason humans want to build Gundam mobile suits. Rule of cool.
Warcry wrote:I prefer 'handsome' actually. :glance:
Blackjack is both prettier and handsomer than Warcry but he feels 'prettier' fits better with the whole third-person emo sulking.
Warcry wrote:The biggest problem Headmasters have to overcome is that they lose their head when the smaller body is walking around. Not so much a problem when you're Fortress Maximus transformed into base mode, but someone like Hardhead or Chromedome is pretty well neutralized without their head.
Which is why Scorponok will never be a Headmaster.

I think, just like Brave Max said, Headmasters seem to be more sensible as a method for organics to forcibly control Transformers.
Brave Maximus wrote:The Star Saber, Skyboom Shield, Requiem Blaster, Umbral Blaster, Energon Saber... think that's it, did I miss anything?
The Blizzard Saber, the Dark Saber, the Burning Saber, the Nemesis Saber, the Cosmotector Shield, X-Dimensional versions of the original three weapons... Japanese-exclusive chase Minicons FTW!

Sentinel's Skyboom Shield is named after the 'legendary Minicon weapon', but I left it vague in case someone wants to play Dirt Boss, Mirage and Downshift.
Warcry wrote:Now if those Minicons happened to get an injection of Dark Energon... :glance:
They become the Dark Saber!

I want to play the Race Team, just to convert them into the Linkage comics' Midshift and whatever.

The Fallen now has a sudden urge to start a Minicon collection.
Shine wrote:This is true for the majority of them, but don't forget about Predaking, Defensor, Computron and Piranacon. They are intelligent beings, able to act accordingly and independently. So they can't all be considered to be big, dumb robots.
In profile and tech specs, sure, but in the cartoon and indeed most fictional portrayals Predaking and Defensor are just as smart (or rather, not smart) as any of the others. Apart from the Japanese series, Piranacon appeared twice, three times tops over the years and didn't do much in his appearances.

Computron? Guy's the smartest, but he's like the first generation of computers, slow to reach a decision.
Shine wrote:The bonds between the combiner team members are unique and they intrigue me greatly (and other people, too, I hope). There's an abundance of potential to be had with them in terms of inter-team relationships, particularly after their gestalt has been created.
This is :up:
Shine wrote:I agree. Omega has always seemed to be the best of the "big guys". It would only make sense if he were more capable than a gestalt.
IIRC Warcry's Omega Supreme is going to be the 'end-all-and-be-all' of the Autobots, and that includes gestalts and stuff. And maybe even Fortress Maximus.

Which leaves the Decepticons currently standing with a grand total of one WMD: Sixshot. QED Sixshot is now as powerful as those two. [/random logic out of my ass]
Shine wrote:I agree that they shouldn't be super-powerful as you say, but I think they should still be powerful nonetheless]
Springer85 wrote:I'm hoping that the Sword is not going to be like Wolverine's Adamantium or something. Able to cut through anything. that is. I'm fine with it being unbreakable or whatever but making it do one hit kills and ripping the planet in half in the proces is something I would rather not see. :|
Definitely more powerful than regular weapons, but I think we'd prefer them to be 'a powerful sword' instead of 'I CAN CUTZ EVERYWUN WITH MAGIK STAR SABER SOWRD WTFLOLYEAH'.

Though please treat them as more 'three Minicons' than the Armada cartoon's 'just a sword plot device'.
Springer85 wrote:I agree and I'll have to say that I'll be happy to have Tarantulas (and probably Team Science) explore that, but I agree with Warcry & Blackjack, that there has to be a reason for it. I could imagine that the Decepticons having a hard time beating Omega Supreme could considered a good reason for Team Science to explore options ]

AN ARMY OF SIXSHOTS

Or, alternatively, Menasor.
Warcry wrote:You can't necessarily assume that any gestalt we create will be one of the preexisting teams, though. We could just as easily make a combiner team out of Lugnut, Skywarp, Thrust and a couple other jets as Predaking or Menasor.
Lugnut would combine with Skywarp? Willingly? :glance:

It's a wee bit inappropriate, but that will give Skywarp a lot of opportunities for sexual euphemism jokes. Not that he understands what the jokes would be about, being part of an asexual species and all, but still...
Warcry wrote:Well, he's five miles long and has an plasma cannon powered by nuclear reactor in this universe, so he'd damn well better be. But he doesn't even have a robot mode, so the odds of him getting into a fistfight with Abominus or someone are probably pretty low. ]

That's why the Autobots have Fortress Maxie and Sky Lynx, then.
MAGIC

TO SELL TOYS

Minicon power.
Shine

Post by Shine »

Springer85 wrote:Don't know about the Seacons, but if you go by the Japanese version, Snaptrap really is the only one with a sane mind and the others are basically just drones more or less
Ugh, the Japanese ruined what could have been a great combiner team. I mean, look at them! They look awesome and they have awesome colours! But, no, they sucked.
Springer85 wrote:Also, with Menasor/The Stunticons, I've always found them more effective and a bigger threat as a unit that's not combined instead of combined into Menasor.
*Nods* That's what I think too. Not that the Stunticons would be a very structured and disciplined team, mind you. But that's what makes them so fun!
Springer85 wrote:Cool! Leader-1 could use some friends to interact with :)

I'm hoping that the Sword is not going to be like Wolverine's Adamantium or something. Able to cut through anything. that is. I'm fine with it being unbreakable or whatever but making it do one hit kills and ripping the planet in half in the proces is something I would rather not see. :|
Definitely thinking about those Mini-Cons... Sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Nah, nothing like that. Just a powerful weapon; nothing out of the ordinary but still powerful (make sense? Probably not...).
Warcry wrote:I'll be honest. I'm not sold on how three airplanes that combine into something that kinda looks like a sword is going to be a better weapon than an actual blade. How would you explain that?
I ain't explainin' nothin'. Now you go take this here keyboard and--

I'm cool with the Air Defense Team just being that: a trio of jets. The sword aspect is a bit peculiar, so I'm happy to leave it out.

*Wants to quote Blackjack but is honest-to-God too lazy to do it*
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

And what if Team Science starts to experiment on Monicons and in the proces create the Star Saber?
Aspiring DJ!
Shine

Post by Shine »

Springer85 wrote:And what if Team Science starts to experiment on Monicons and in the proces create the Star Saber?
Easy answer. I'm all for it. :D

If that did happen, I would like to choose someone else's character to wield them and consequently bond with (in the way of friendship, nothing else!). I feel that would be a decent way of having them interact with the Autobots/Decepticons. Of course, that's just an idea if the possibility of the Star Saber becomes real.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Shine wrote:*Wants to quote Blackjack but is honest-to-God too lazy to do it*
I HATE ALL OF YOU

-sulks-
Shine

Post by Shine »

Blackjack wrote:I HATE ALL OF YOU

-sulks-
You shouldn't have said so much!
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Shine wrote:You shouldn't have said so much!
He's lying. I know Blackjack loves me. He searched the depths of The Pit to find me, kick me in the arse and make me return to the RPG :p
Aspiring DJ!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Blackjack wrote:The Fallen now has a sudden urge to start a Minicon collection.
You already have one character doing that... isn't it enough...

But, as they say - gotta catch them all

(I'm actually still trying to find the alt colour for the emergency Minicon team. The one with Hotspot and Smokescreen colours)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

]
Shine wrote:You shouldn't have said so much!
:o is what happen when I sleep deprived.
Springer85 wrote:He's lying. I know Blackjack loves me. He searched the depths of The Pit to find me, kick me in the arse and make me return to the RPG :p
Yep, that's my fault all right! G'wan, thank me.

But I still hate all of you. So there.
Brave Maximus wrote:You already have one character doing that... isn't it enough...
Do I?

Chaos demands that the end of the world be brought by rainbow-coloured aborable tiny robots whose every word is censored (bleep bleep bleep, what?) that combine into... stuff that looks vaguely like weapons.

And ponies. With marshmallow wings.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Scorponok would never try and find the solution to the timeless conundrum of why cables will invariably tie themselves into mind-boggling knots the moment you put them in the drawer.
Predacon would! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Blackjack wrote:I've always thought Power core combiners are like Powermasters, but instead of cheeseburger-eating humans, they have Minicons that allow them to combine and stuff like that.
I'm not sure that's really an apt comparison. Half of them are basically Targetmasters and the other half are gestalts. Although Minicons from Armada have a lot of Powermaster-like traits.
Blackjack wrote:Computron? Guy's the smartest, but he's like the first generation of computers, slow to reach a decision.
Can you tell he was written in the 80s?
Blackjack wrote:IIRC Warcry's Omega Supreme is going to be the 'end-all-and-be-all' of the Autobots, and that includes gestalts and stuff. And maybe even Fortress Maximus.
Omega may disagree with you on the 'Autobot' part. Especially while loons like Sentinel are in the decision-making loop. He'll evacuate them, sure, but don't expect him to fight unless threatened.
Blackjack wrote:Lugnut would combine with Skywarp? Willingly? :glance:
Willingly? Of course not. But if Lord Megatron orders it...
Blackjack wrote:It's a wee bit inappropriate, but that will give Skywarp a lot of opportunities for sexual euphemism jokes. Not that he understands what the jokes would be about, being part of an asexual species and all, but still...
*ban*
Shine wrote:If that did happen, I would like to choose someone else's character to wield them and consequently bond with (in the way of friendship, nothing else!). I feel that would be a decent way of having them interact with the Autobots/Decepticons. Of course, that's just an idea if the possibility of the Star Saber becomes real.
That's a good enough explanation for me.
Blackjack wrote:Chaos demands that the end of the world be brought by rainbow-coloured aborable tiny robots whose every word is censored (bleep bleep bleep, what?) that combine into... stuff that looks vaguely like weapons.

And ponies. With marshmallow wings.
Now, now. We have several different worlds we can destroy. Why tie ourselves to one single way of destroying them, when there's so many others to explore?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:Predacon would! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Scorponok: "Tell Predacon not to divide by zero. If he does, he'll implode the universe.... Actually, that sounds like a fun thing. I'll help him."

Warcry wrote:Omega may disagree with you on the 'Autobot' part. Especially while loons like Sentinel are in the decision-making loop. He'll evacuate them, sure, but don't expect him to fight unless threatened.
Sentinel's not stupid. He's just egomaniacal. And a huge dick.
Warcry wrote:Willingly? Of course not. But if Lord Megatron orders it...
Skywarp is as excited as Spongebob Squarepants at the thought.
Warcry wrote:*ban*
Skywarp: *teleports, dodges ban, sticks tongue out*
Warcry wrote:Now, now. We have several different worlds we can destroy. Why tie ourselves to one single way of destroying them, when there's so many others to explore?
Chaos demands new ways on how the world is going to end.

Fallen: "This morning I have a vision that Unicron wants the world to end with the Insecticons as his main heralds. Unicron feels a kinship to their eternal hunger. Oh, and also, I'm supposed to go around houses and give out pamphlets for my morning show. If you donate to the Church of Entropy, we will guarantee that a divine lightning bolt will strike those that offend you! Chaos wins... and makes money in the meantime as well."
Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

On a idea, we could have team sciance invent the gestal progress to combat Omega Supreme.