Don't Have to Drink the Water

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Don't Have to Drink the Water

Post by Rurudyne »

Yes, after 3 years of study a group could not decide that drinking water actually prevented dehydration.

And so the EU has outlawed bottled water bottlers from making the claim. (link)

It's like someone over here managed to bottle "Congresscritter" and sell it in Brussles....
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

While I agree this looks stupid (even ridiculous), could think up a few reasons why they did so and agree with them.
(For the record, I also agree with the cucumber bending and such. If you read in wikipedia, you'll notice that it is actually still in effect, just without law - because it was reasonable, even if it doesn't look that way.)

To water: I don't think they deny that drinking water is important. But allowing water bottlers to use that as advertisement is going to move it into the field of medication - at least in public opinion.
And we all know that people (as a whole) are morons. They'll buy the most expensive "anti-dehyration" water and think it's all good if they just jug one of them, right after the left-spinning macro-idiotic yogurt they need for their immune system.

--

Of course, I can't help but wonder why it took them so long and why they didn't take precautions to ensure everyone actually understood what they were saying.
(I'm wondering the same regarding the energy saving lamp issue. Halogen lamps are energy saving, but of course no one mentions them - the media chose what makes bigger impact.)
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

You know, since the rule doesn't affect brewers I'm sensing an advertising opportunity here....
Standup Philosopher

Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Hot oil in a deep fryer is hot!

Fill a deep fryer to the brim and it might boil over!

So Homeland Security has decided to warn Americans.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer. ... er-warning

Brought to you so no one thinks I'm just picking on Europeans ... because I'm really, really not. I just didn't want to post a link to those "America's Dumbest" shows because that would have been overkill.
Standup Philosopher

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They applied for the right to state that “regular consumption of significant amounts of water can reduce the risk of development of dehydration”
Encouraging people to consume water to excess or only giving part of the picture is irresponsible. In order to prevent dehydration you also need to maintain electrolytes -- so a drink that included them could fairly make the claim.

Basically it's hilarious (and "proves" why Johnny Foreigner can't be trusted) to the same level of people who don't understand that spraying water on a fire that's sufficiently hot will only make it worse.