No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

numbat

Post by numbat »

Proofed!

:up:

Great review as always - but I think you surpassed yourself this time. Had me laughing the whole way through.

This guy looks great, and I'd love to pick one up to complement my Wreck-Gar.

However, I find the transformation back to bike a bit of a pain - getting things to line up right at the seat and fuel tank particularly. There's probably some easy solution (as there usually is), but I guess I've not played around with him enough yet - he got overshadowed by DOTM Leader Ironhide at the time I got time to play with him, I'm afraid.

Also, I think you missed the most awesome moment in the 1986 Transformers Movie - UNICRON TRANSFORMING!. The battle between Prime and Megatron, ending with Prime smashing Megatron's Decepticon insignia off his chest comes pretty close to this too, and should be in the list.

In fact... The more I think about it, the more I realise that film is really a nearly endless stream of great cool moments... I should really watch it again soon!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Your review spurred me on to get RTS Wreck-Gar out.

He really is an amazingly awesome figure. And the transformation seems to actually be working out much easier than last time I tried (back to bike). Guess you just gotta take your time, but it seems less fiddly than before. Hopefully getting the knack.

Yup. I really want a Junkheap for my Wreck-Gar to ride. They seem a bit pricey online. Are they available in stores anywhere?

(Certainly not round my way in Hamilton, Scotland - TFs are gone from the shelves, although Argos is showing Prime / RID figures in stock which really don't do anything for me...)

Got RTS Lugnut out too - he's pretty freakin' awesome too.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Cal
Protoform

Post by Cal »

Thanks for proofing. I see you added a few inserts, although you muffed the bold HTML for "Transformation Design". I fixed it now.

The key to all transformations is to know where to apply pressure. With Junkheap, the trick is to spread his hips as wide as possible and make sure that his 'toes' interlock properly. With that in mind, the midsection of the bike should fold down flush, then the rest just comes naturally. Pull up on the front fender slightly to make sure it doesn't interfere with the hands. You can transform him blindfolded with practice.

And let's face it, there are simply too many cool moments in the Transformers movie to name, but I had to limit it to just five. :p

PS. My Masterpiece Rodimus Prime review still needs proofed if you have time.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Oops - last minute rush.

I was working from home today, and my wife, unusually, was in meetings in Glasgow, so I had some time after finishing work to do the proofing. She got back just as I was finishing up, and ain't a fan of my TF interest...

I was interested in reading your Junkheap review, as I'd really like the guy, so proofed at the same time. I'm working from home again tomorrow, so if I get a chance I'll aim to do your Rodimus review.

I'm just extremely busy with things just now - I'm presenting a poster at a conference this weekend (finished last night thankfully!), have two articles to write for the next issue of British Arachnological Society Newsletter in the next two weeks, am writing a scientific paper in my spare time and have some GIS mapping and analysis of great crested newt habitat to do for a voluntary group I'm in by the end of February...

Man, I take too much on in my spare time...

Also items on eBay.
StryderK
Protoform

REVIEW: DOTM Limited Special "Dragon New Year" Ultimate OP Edition

Post by StryderK »

Well, I'm not gonna write anything about Prime. People here already did that more than once. To do so would be reinventing the wheel, rather I'd cover a bit of history here.

Blast to the Past

Now, for those few "Trans Fans" (hehe) that don't know, back in 1987, just when the original G1 cartoon was winding down here, Hasbro took the entire series to a China that's still opening up to the rest of the world, and offered to two television stations, Shanghai t.v. and another local t.v. channel the entire show. Hasbro sales pitch was that the two stations can have the entire series for free, provided Hasbro has exclusive FREE promotional rights to do commercials for the toys during the show.

Legend has it that Shanghai t.v. basically said, "pfft, no deal!" but the other local t.v. channel (Shanxi T.V. if i remembered correctly) said yes and the end result was as they say, history! The result was beyond anything anyone could predict. Soon, Chinese kids would rush home as fast as they could, throw bookbags on to the floor just so they can turn on the tv to watch the fights between the heroic "Qi Che Ren" (aka, the Autobots) and the evil "Ba Tian Hu" (aka Decepticons). It would be the start of the "Bian Xing Jin Gang" or Transformers phenomenon and there would be no turning back. Names like "Qing Tian Zhu" (aka Optimus Prime) and "Wei Zhen Tian" (aka megatron) would stay in the minds of many Chinese kids well into adulthood. So much so, that when the full 99 episodes came to an end, Shanxi TV was flooded with requests asking bascially, "Hey, where are the rest of the epsiodes?" even though it was explained the story arc ended. Reruns did nothing to dampen the Transformers enthusiathem, in fact, it made it even stronger. It was at this point that legend has it, Shanghai TV, with regrets, went back to Hasbro asking if the original deal was still open. Hasbro said yes, but with one caveat, it's now $1000 per episode!

In 2007, Michael Bay's live action Transformers movie exploded in China. The movie not only did very well in China, creating a whole new generation of "Trans-fans", but also awakened the many "lapsed" and "regret" Transformers fans.

What that mean was back in the late 80's and early 90's, when the original
G1 wave was sweeping China, owning a Transformers toy was nothing but a fantasy for 90% of the kids who loved the show. This is because back then, Chinese disposible income was nearly zero, and there wasn't a middle class to speak of. Even something as simple as a mini-bot could cost upward of 3 weeks of a parent's salary. One Chinese fan remembered that period in which he saved 6 months worth of allowances and his parents skimped on 3 months of savings to buy him "Blades", allowing him to become only the few Chinese kids to own a Tranformer.

But by 2007, with an exploding middle class full of disposible income, China looked nothing like back in 1987. Many of these middle class were kids that watched Transformers cartoons and comics growing up, and now are adults with kids of their own. A lot of them were "regret" fans that dreamed of playing with Transformers toys when they were younger, but can't because their parents can't afford them and now are buying up toys not only to play with their kids, but also to finally fullfill a long lost childhood fantasy. Hasbro, being the smart company that they are, recongnized just how huge of a market this is and have always produced "China Specials" that are only on sale in China. The latest one being the "Limited Edition Ultimate Optimus Prime Dragon New Year Special".

The Whole Kitten Kapuddle

This Chinese New Year special is obviously a repaint of the previous DOTM Ultimate Optimus with trailer that transforms into "Power-Up" Optimus with the Omega armor. With 2012 being the year of the "Dragon" on the Chinese zodiac calender, the trailer comes with overall a bright red paint job (Red being the color of luck and good fortune in Chinese new year mythology) and a brilliant golden yellow dragon sprawled across the trailer. The tail end of the trailer features the traditional Chinese character for dragon or "Long" and near the front, the Chinese characters "Ren Chen" in a "flaming sun" motif because the year of the dragon is called the "Ren Chen" year in China. Overall, the tractor trailer combo is a simdget longer than the MP-4 complete Optimus Prime Masterpiece but slight smaller. See my comparison pic for refrence.

The Tractor/Optimus

Overall, the tractor/Optimus part of this "kit" falls a bit short. This is bascially a specially modified Voyager Optimus so as to fit into the trailer component. Tractor wise, some of the color are all wrong. The grill section of the tractor is red, rather than the expected silver (nothing but an airbrush and some silver model paint would solve). There are also holes everywhere to fit into the trailer. Transformation wise, this is easy. Though it can get annoying since the whole entire lower body is squeezed into the truck cab cavity and you need to pull this out, then turn 90 degrees downward and snap the forward chest/torso into the rear chest/torso. That's the only hard part. The rest you can figure it out on your own.

The Optimus part is just "plain Jane". The biggest weakness is that the grill end holds the hands, instead of become the footplate that we used to know. This is to make the legs easier to insert into the trailer armor. Overall, even though it looks like the movie Optimus, it's again, nothing to write home about. But then again, you buy this kit, you are not buying it for Optimus, you are buying the trailer. If you want a serious Optimus figure, then go get something like the Leader class Optimus from Revenge of the Fallen. The trailer on the other hand, is anything but average.

Trailer/Omega Armor

The trailer component of this kit is pretty big, and heavy (since it contains the "Mechtech" part of the kit). It's almost as big as the entire trailer contained in the MP-4 Masterpiece Optimus (see pic for size comparison). The biggest difference of course, is that a bright red paint job replaced the classic nostalgia metallic silvery grey paint job that we come to know and love with a golden dragon sprawling from front to tail. Overall, the trailer serve its purpose to satisfy the original G1 fans of giving Optimus his trailer back. and this version, with its bright red paint job actually fit the movie Optimus even better because of his flaming motif. In fact, in order to show off the trailer and its new red paint job and its golden dragon, the packaging comes in the tractor trailer combo instead of Optimus and Omega armor packaging like the regular version. this resulted in a box that's almost 2 feet in length when purchasing. The only real quibble is that if if you store the Mechtech gimmick where it suppose to go, then it will stick way out on the bottom of the trailer and ruin the clean line. The solution is simple. Just remove it and place the Mechtech thing somewhere else.

To transform the trailer to Omega armor mode, all you need to do is separate the trailer side and top into the various "wings" of the armor, open up the leg, groin/torso and arm armor, insert Optimus in and there you have it. Again, this is why you buy the kit. not for Optimus but the trailer, and now the armor. Inside its armor cocoon, Optimus becomes an imposing figure. It's easily the largest Optimus figure ever other than the "jet wing" Optimus Prime figure sold separately. The red coloring scheme makes Optimus looking like it burst out of a sun, making him far more vibrant and colorful than the original version. Overall, the entire figure combined together goes more than 18 inches square, making finding him a place to stay a hazard.

The only fault within this mode is that it's pretty filmsy. The trailer's sides and top all separate to become the armor's wings. They hang there no problem. But don't bang them against say, the sides of a shelf or something or else something will come off. This also meant that breaking them loose from their locking pins can be a problem since they are locked tight, and you are afraid of using too much strength. This is the only weakness of the trailer.

MechTech Thing-of-mah-Jiggy

The biggest gimmick, well, if we exclude the trailer here, is the big piece of, well, it looks like to me, a turbine powered Super Duper Double Handed Massive Ion Drive Cannon with Double Rocket Pack thing-of-mah-jiggly. Bascially, it's just a noise maker that's inserted into the bottom of the trailer in trailer mode (again, I suggest you do not since it does ruin the clean line of the trailer) and is held in the power fists in Omega armor mode. To put it on Prime, you first fold out the visor, put this on Prime's head and then insert the jigs into the armored power fists. Then you can click the two red button or push back the ion cannon red pusher for some quick noise that you will soon get tire. Overall, I'd rather have my RotF Leader Optimus say "I'm Optimus Prime" over and over to me again and again. At least that's somewhat interesting. This isn't.

Transformation: 5 All are pretty easy to figure out. The only serious problem in the transformation is when Prime goes to robot mode and you have to fold his front half with his rear half and of course the trailer, when you separate the wings. They just stand there, alone, which mean they can get sliced off if you bump them into something.

Durability 7: Pretty durable. Although there are basically no metal parts, unless you count the metal axles that holds the wheels together, the figure and the trailer are all pretty durable. the only weak point again, is when those wings comes out. those are the only weak part of the kit.

Realism 6 (Prime), 9 (Trailer): The Peterbuilt truck is pretty accurate, if you ignore the big hole in the hitch section and the miscoloring of the grill (red instead of silver). Robot wise, it does leave a bit to be desired. But then again, you are not paying over 100 bucks for the truck here. Trailer wise, it looks awesome. It's accurae, the "Dragon New Year" thing maybe a gimmick but the paint job does suit Prime. Omega armor wise, combined together with the Prime figure and you got a head turner whoever shows up.

Fun Factor 8: It should please anyone from kids to adults. The transformation is easy, and as long as you are careful with those trailer section wings, you should have a blast.

Collectivebility 9: But the biggest reason why you would buy it is for its collectivebility. Again, this is llimited to around the Chinese New Year only. Once the supply is gone, its done because 2013 is the year of the Snake or Serpent and a "Limited Edition Ultimate Optimus Prime Snake Year Special" just doesn't have that kind of rhyme...Although if Transformers ever cross over to G.I. Joe...Nah Hasbro would not be that stupid...Ohh Wait! OHHHH SSSSNAAAPPPSSSZZZZ!!!!! **Get Down on Knees** Dear lord do not make the movie transformers cross over to the live action G.I. Joe series! So if you miss this out, then the next "Dragon Special" would be 2024, and who know what Optimus would look like by then?

Value 8: Value wise, well, it would've been even greater had Hasbro gave us a Leader class Ultimate Prime that combined a trailer with the Leader class Optimus Prime figure from RotF. But then what? What would that kind of figure cost? 200? 250? 300? And where would you put it? Remember this kit in tractor and trailer combo is slight shade under 2 feet across and more than 16 inches square when combined in Omega armor mode. I can't even begin to imagine what would be the size of a Leader class Ultimate look like and with the dragon motif, it's even more valueable, well, at least to a guy who was born on the year of the dragon (1976) and so, this year, anything that do with dragons pretty much interest me...and now combine THAT with the Transformers.....

Overall 8.5: Not exactly over 9.0 because of the weaker Optimus figure. But then again, it is seriouly limited by the size of the trailer and the overall size of the kit. Again, a Leader class Ultimate would raise quite a few eyebrows, but who would plunk down $300 (most likely the price of such a thing) for something say 3 ft across in tractor trailer mode and over 2 ft in robot combined mode? And with this being a special edition that looks pretty cool, I guess that would be a minor quibble. I don't know if stores like Big Bad Toy Store carry this. If not, next time if you are in China in the coming few days, it might be good idea to raid the local Toys r' Us for one of these things. I'm sure it will worth the while down the line.
SWMBO just discovered I preordered MP-20 Wheeljack, MP-21 Bumblebee and MP-22 Ultra Magnus perfect edition for almost $300 = My butt goes on the couch for another week...or two..........or.........three!!!!!
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

I will attach pics soon. Have to go over it to reduce their size to fit with the site's requirements.
SWMBO just discovered I preordered MP-20 Wheeljack, MP-21 Bumblebee and MP-22 Ultra Magnus perfect edition for almost $300 = My butt goes on the couch for another week...or two..........or.........three!!!!!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Proofed.

Another great review, and I think your subsection titles warrant the capitals.

;)

I am sorely tempted by this guy. I was this close to clicking the order on the first version, when I saw the first review which highlighted the massive QC issues. If this second version really has resolved these (particularly the paint chipping issues), I may well place the order at last.

I love that they have Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime in one figure.

Also items on eBay.
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

numbat wrote:Proofed.

Another great review, and I think your subsection titles warrant the capitals.

;)

I am sorely tempted by this guy. I was this close to clicking the order on the first version, when I saw the first review which highlighted the massive QC issues. If this second version really has resolved these (particularly the paint chipping issues), I may well place the order at last.

I love that they have Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime in one figure.
I have the first issue of Takara's MP-09 and let me tell you right off the bat, NOT WORTH IT unless you dream and walk and breath anything Rodimus/Hot Rod. Thank god i don't suffer from the paint chipping issue, but damn, those thigh plates...They fall off at the slightest touch due to the fact Takara screwed up the plates way too tight and unless you force it, it won't move, but if you do force it, they fall off...Pick of your poison here! Everywhere else, it's the same. Everything is screwed on so tight, you are afraid of say, breaking off an entire arm because you force it too much (and the arms are the worst offender of this). So yeah, after a first transformation after I bought it, it got turned back, and I haven't bothered to transform it again....This thing is worse than Meg when it comes to this....
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

Ok, Picy test to see if this works. If it does, then I will work on the rest and post them later:
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

Burrr!!! Why did I hit the submit button on top I don't know, but anyways...

First one: Box Front

Ok, now that that seems to be working, I will work on the rest later. I have shot more pics on this thing than normal since you won't be seeing anything like this in the States. So be patient
Attachments
Box Front.jpg
Cal
Protoform

Post by Cal »

numbat wrote:I am sorely tempted by this guy. I was this close to clicking the order on the first version, when I saw the first review which highlighted the massive QC issues. If this second version really has resolved these (particularly the paint chipping issues), I may well place the order at last.
Funnily enough, I also came within a hair's breath of buying the first version too. I ordered him online, but had to cancel that because of financial difficulties. I guess I was kind of lucky in light of an improved second release.

PS. Highlighted your last comment as an editorial insert. I think it's slightly funnier this way anyway. :p
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cal wrote:PS. Highlighted your last comment as an editorial insert. I think it's slightly funnier this way anyway. :p
All for it - I totally agree.

:swirly:

I will definitely try and track this guy down - but how do you know you're going for a second edition / version two and not the QC issue riddled original?

Also items on eBay.
Cal
Protoform

Post by Cal »

Well, I bought mine from eBay seller ratchetsclinic, who is well aware of the distintion between both releases. He says he was originally taking ver. 2 pre-orders for £110, but there's obvious post-release mark-up. If you try contacting him, you can probably place an order outside of eBay to avoid excess charges for £130-£135 shipped. I think that's the best deal you're going to get on an import figure at this stage. He's a good man who offers good deals. £10 for Generations Thundercracker FTW. :)
Cal
Protoform

Post by Cal »

Since you proofed my reviews, I think it's only fair that I return the favour. This review was very detailed, engrossing and informative. I was not aware of the Target controversy, so thanks for pointing that out. I only noticed one typo in the first sentence of the Robot Mode. Look it up.
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

Ohh feeh, was supposed to get this done yesterday, but damn, what was in that pizza I ate? Made my stomache crawled up a wall yesterday! Anyways:

2: Box Rear 3: Box Top, 4: Sticker that says "Limited Dragon New Year Special" 5: Trator Trailer Combo 6: Trailer
Attachments
Trailer.jpg
Tractor Trailer.jpg
Limited.jpg
Box Top.jpg
Box Rear.jpg
StryderK
Protoform

Post by StryderK »

More:

7: Details: Rear of the trailer with Dragon Tail and the Chinese character "Long" (Dragon)

8: Size comparison between Ultimate OP and MP-4 as mentioned int he review

9. Powered-Uped Prime

10. Prime holding Mechtech

11: (almost forgot this) Detailed shot of front end of the trailer with the Chinese Characters "Ren Chen" in a "Bursting Sun" Motif.

Whew. I know it's alot of pics but again, as I've said, this is something you won't see in State's toy stores so have included extras so you guys can choose and pick. If you need any more. I'll see what i can manage.
Attachments
Ren Chen.jpg
OP Gun.jpg
OP Armor.jpg
Size Comp.jpg
Rear Long.jpg
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Intro and Hovers write up added
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

WHY MY REVIEW NOT ON SIT?!?!?!?!? ME SOPEND MANY TIME ON THIS AND YOUS CUM NOT UPLOAD?!??!? ME KILL YOU DEAD IF YOU NOT FED MY MAN_CHILD DesIREt O BE ON ITNETNET SITE NEM IN LIGHS! WHAST YOU PEOLGJPLE PAID FOR? PISS YOU! PISS YOU 2 SCUM!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

WE ARE SUPPOSE 2 GET PAID?!?!?! ZOMG ME DON'T KNOW THAT ZOMG ZOMG ME GO ON STRIKE NOW UNTIL DENYER PAYS ME MY SALARY!!!!1!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

-ahem-

Uploading now.

EDIT: What, no pictures of Axer with a hat?