General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Terome

Post by Terome »

The bunny man might seem bad at first, but his bunny ears make any mini-fig look better FACT.

Also, have assembled an Axe Cop from various bits and pieces. This must be how fathers feel.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Terome wrote:The bunny man might seem bad at first, but his bunny ears make any mini-fig look better FACT.

Also, have assembled an Axe Cop from various bits and pieces. This must be how fathers feel.
I love my new bunny man! I make him punch planes out of the sky.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:Here's the whole set. I don't think it's quite as stellar as Series 5 or 6 have been, with a couple of minifigs that are just a little bit bland. There are a lot of nice ones in there though. Bunny suit guy, the Aztec warrior, Neptune/Poseidon/whoever and the Valkyrie are all really nice looking.
Liking this wave more than the last few, personally... IIRC there's going to be a breather after these, but I can't imagine LEGO will keep them off the shelves for too long.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Denyer wrote:Liking this wave more than the last few, personally... IIRC there's going to be a breather after these, but I can't imagine LEGO will keep them off the shelves for too long.
Actually, Series 8 has already been announced. Maybe a breather after that? Personally I think they are getting to the point of exhausting characters. Maybe a lull in the production then back with some fresh ideas before they retread too many characters.

It'd be really neat (IMO) if they started putting out some classic guys from past lines like from the space themes (Ice Planet 2002 anyone?), castle, or pirates. And any others I can't think of off the top of my head. That kind of thing would only need to last about a line and then be back to new stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think I'm a series out... can't remember where I read it, anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the licensed lines got the spotlight for a while.

Whilst they've done a few "classic" series, I'd be surprised if any got released in the same blind-packed way as the collectible waves (or in as large numbers). Most of them look very basic with the single face print.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Yeah, I didn't think of the bland faces. Maybe just slightly updated faces like the one on the Forestman would do the trick. I just thought it would be a neat deviation from the new characters.

They do have a ton of new licensed lines with Marvel, DC, Pirates of the Carribean, Star Wars, and the soon-to-be-released Lord of the Rings lines. Makes sense to give them the spotlight!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

licensed characters would be nice to see, but then i suppose there'd be less incentive for us all to go and spaff £70 on a set to get ahold of a Black Widow minifigure or similar...

...stupid captialism!
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm not too in to the licenced stuff and even I would feel up the packs like mad to find a Magneto.

Magneto is hilarious!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Would be amazed if they started doing blind-packed licensed minis, but there's a lot of product out there at the moment -- if stores already stocking some LEGO can be persuaded to take a punt on small LotR or comics character sets, it's more of a presence, and the company would probably rather have that.

Not going to replace checkout-queue/newsagent pocket money toy displays, though.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Having gone through a box of stuff Cliffy sent me it seems I'm now the owner of (what I presume to be) a pink biker girl mini fig. Rock on.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IIRC it's the Barbarella-type space tart.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I'm an idiot. When I opened my Galaxy Patrol dude the other day, I thought he was neat but wished he had a the red visor like the pictures show. Instead mine had a robotic eyepiece painted on (which is cool too, but not like the visor). Found out you can turn his head around for the visor. Don't know how I missed that before, but now having two faces makes this guy even better!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Not really the same thing, but I'm not sure it's worth starting a new topic?

If you're in the UK, The Sun are doing a deal this week for a free Lego set when you buy the paper. You get a different one each day(starting today, ending Sunday). I think you have to take the voucher to Toys R Us or W H Smith to get 'em. Easiest is to buy the paper in W H Smith and get it there.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/af ... lego%20com

Only 30p each. My desk in work is about to become a hotspot of Lego. Well, kinda.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers for the heads up. They're definitely saving the best for the weekends this time.
Terome

Post by Terome »

My girlfriend has been stockpiling Suns as discretely as possible so as not to ruin her reputation as a bluetop reader. Newspapers are strange.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I usually settle for feeding them straight into the bin outside since the staff in Smiths don't want to be left with the papers.

I also have a quick look to see if there are any magazines worth the cover price, but more often than not am disappointed. Not really sure how they stay in business.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I also have a quick look to see if there are any magazines worth the cover price, but more often than not am disappointed. Not really sure how they stay in business.
Even the magazines I actually subscribe to, like New Scientist, or read online, like Wired, present very little reason for me to pick them up when they're on the newsstand.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

While shopping for my daughter's 2nd birthday last night (she got a very large play kitchen BTW...) I snagged a Series 6 minifig at Toys R Us... And it turned out to be the pink space girl! She's pretty awesome; Farrah Fawcett blonde hair, a sweet blaster pistol and a visored pink helmet. Too bad these guys are always $3-4 each. I'd buy a bunch!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Denyer wrote:I usually settle for feeding them straight into the bin outside since the staff in Smiths don't want to be left with the papers.

I wonder if there's any kick back for them with the fistfull of vouchers for other retailers you always get when buying anything from Smiths?

...I haven't regulalry bought a magazine since Select got axed in 2000 following the Metro /Emap merger. The odd copy of Front is about it.

Don't think I've ever bought anything else from Smiths, ever.

As for the Lego stuff, its been a slightly patchy collection this time around (i know these are just cheapy sets, but the lack of imagination and repitition is starting to show) and feels a bit like its been done begrudgingly.

The Batman sets are neat,as is the City racing car, the ninjago buggy is weird - and not good weird like that awesome skull copter - the star wars micro star destroyer, whilst accurate, is a bit dull, the tie fighter has popped up in a previous Mirror Star Wars promo. Whilst I love the police microlite craft, its another bloody police set, the fire cheif's buggy is another repeat (c.f. Mirror December 2010 promo) and there's the nagging thought that this promotion (which no doubt sees a spike in sales) comes at a time when newscorp is under tremendous pressure...

I've given up with the minifigures series 7 collection. i've five f**king keith lemon lookalike daredevils now out of a purchase of eight packets.

bloody hell, i sound miserable don't i?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just found series 5 and 6 on clearance at a Walmart in the town we're in for a convention. At 1.50 apiece, I kind of went nuts picking up a bunch for the kids. I figure any repeats should be easily sellable to recoup any losses at that price. Dang, these are cute!