Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Just The Big Bang Theory Season 5.
Destruction is my specialty
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Unbreakable
Dog Day Afternoon
High Plains Drifter

And I managed to cram three films in yesterday. With two down today and tomorrow being a blissfully post-free Sunday I might actually start catching up.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Cliffjumper wrote:There are also two discs. Two ****ing discs? Why? It all used to come on one ****ing tape.
**** me, it just ****ing stops mid-scene. Just ****ing stops. No attempt to find one of the several areas that could serve as a passable intermission. I mean what kind of a dog-raping shit-eating child molester does something like that? If I ever find the person responsible for this desecration I'll cut out their ****ing eyes with a ****ing Stanley knife.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Warcry wrote:Isn't it exactly the same movie as The Spy Who Loved Me, except in space instead of underwater?
Pretty much, though the dynamic between the leads is a lot better in Spy Who Loved Me than Moonraker. It's funny that in Moonraker that it's Jaws who notices the similarity of his position...
Really? I thought it was The Man With the Golden Gun that was everyone's least favourite Moore movie, but I guess there's bound to be differing opinions on that, too.
I actually think it's one of the better Bond films overal, but it easily has the worst of the themes (with only Never Say Never Again getting lower). Man with the Golden Gun only has a few minutes of being weak... (the Solex eposition, and anything with Sherrif Pepper). View to a Kill has an entire mid-sequence that makes no sense (the firetruck and the police chase - how EXACTLY was that going to happen again), and many, many, moments of stupid in its plot. It doesn't help to see Grandpa mackin' on Grace Jones, either...
As for Moonraker though - yeah, it pretty much is The Spy Who Loved Me in Space. The plot is paperthin and pretty much just acts as an excuse to string James Bond along around the world through one beautiful setpiece to another.
Honestly, if Bond had stopped the shuttles from launching and NOT gone to space himself, it would have been a more solid Bond movie. And, lose the gondola scene too, that was farcical...

Only down to the Daniel Craig movies now, likely tommorow, maybe one late tonight.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I think Golden Gun is a film with a brilliant villain (and a correspondingly good performance from Moore when they face off) surrounded by adequacy. There's little outright bad with it (and some of the criticism aimed at it over the years is unfair, the often mocked new energy source McGuffin has swung all the way back round to be relevant again for example) but the scenes without Christopher Lee just feel like they're making time.

I'd love to know what possessed them to put that whistle on the car jump as well.

I have now decided that Shame Rimmer's NASA technician in You Only Live Twice is the same one he played in Superman II.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I grabbed Underbelly: Badness, WWE CM Punk - Best In The World, Starship Troopers and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Promotheus Blu-Ray Not as bad as I thought but not as great as I hoped.

Spaceballs Blu-Ray-Still funny as hell. I wish Mel Brooks would make a sequal.

12 Monkeys Blu-Ray-There are some films when you see when you're younger that you don't like for some reason then when you see them when you're older and you find like them very much, this is one of those films for me.

Highlander: The Director's Cut-Blu-Ray Still an enjoyable film despite the stupidity of the sequals.

Batman: Year One-Digital Download, a great adaption of a great story. Plus it was a bounus for buying Batman: Arkham City GOTY Edition for my Xbox 360 and PS3.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

The Blockbuster near me is closing down so I picked up sleeveless copies of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (for a friend), Paranormal Activity 3 and 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days.

They were also doing games and so I managed to find in amongst hundreds of sleeveless copies of Fifa and PES... Mario Kart: Double Dash! Perhaps my favourite game ever (prefer it to the Wii version), and for only £1.50

Made up, I was :smokin:

[Edit]Cliffjumper: Is the special edition of RotF that you're referring to the 2-disc DVD? or is there another version again? I gave in and bought the single disc edition of DotM a couple of months ago... and the problem is, what with loving big robots and all that, I find a lot of value in the special features on the second disc. The first film was good for that, and really made me appreciate the hard work they put into it all the more.

I really miss there not being a nice 2-disc DotM DVD.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

The Avengers. Crap DVD release, but an awesome, awesome film nonetheless.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

10 Rillington Place
Blue Velvet
Leon
Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise
Cape Fear
Look Back in Anger
The Elephant Man
Wild at Heart
Les Diaboliques
Spy Who Came in from the Cold
The Hunter
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead
Star Trek II & VI
Papillon
Adios Sabata

Possibly some others, including a second copy of Angel Heart where I got confused and forgot I had it on the way.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Prometheus on Blu Ray Steelbook and all three seasons of Sons Of Anarchy on Blu Ray Steelbook.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Picked up the 4 disc edition of Battle Royale(director's cut and theatrical cut, Battle Royale II: Requiem and an extras disc) for a surprisingly low price. Also got the 2 disc edition of the DCAU Wonder Woman movie.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Same here Heinrad! I picked also picked up Battle Royale II, along with Jindabyne, Honeydripper, Jean De Flourette and Manon Des Sources (final day stock sale before the local Blockbuster closed down).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Stunt Man
Ronin
Tom Horn
Thomas Crown Affair
Bobby Deerfield
Straw Dogs
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote: Thomas Crown Affair
Steve McQueen playing chess or the "Hey this is quite good and cool and OH DEAR GOD WOMAN PUT YOUR SAGGY TITS AWAY" remake?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

McQueen. If I liked seeing Bonds miles out of their depth I'd just buy Marnie.

Grand Prix
The Funeral
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Bullitt
Robin Hood
Ed Wood
Network
Time Bandits
The Conversation
The Imaginirum of Doctor Parnassapuss
The Last Samurai
Year of the Dragon
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I bought The Cabin In The Woods, Eureka season 4, American History X, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn volume 5 and the Terra Nova show.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

A Clockwork Orange Blu-Ray
The Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Blu-Ray
The Transformers: Dark of the Moon Blu-Ray/DVD set
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Platoon
Where Eagles Dare
Gran Torino
White Hunter, Black Heart
Pale Rider
Sex & Zen
Frivolous Lola
Falling Down
Twin Peaks - Fire Walk with Me
Rope
Eraserhead
Deep Red
Performance
Don't Look Now

EDIT: Huh, Don't and Eraserhead are both 15s now; the BBFC do seem to be using a lot more common sense now though the rating for the former is baffling unless they've cut it.