Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I could be wrong but I'm sure I saw 25th somewhere, with Windblade and RID filling the next 2 weeks...

The news made me sad :-(
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Dear oh dear, what a sad state of affairs. Back to the crack for me then.

And who said 'Sod' in this issue? Theres 'odds & sods' which is of a different meaning, but still a brilliant inclusion of British in an international comic. I'm hoping for a robot to say "Sod this" at some point, and a robot equivalent of tea would be nice.
zigzagger

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #30

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #30 three-page preview by way of iTunes.
Attachments
mtmte30 3.jpg
mtmte30 2.jpg
mtmte30 1.jpg
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Figures, Magnus with a hammer...

Wait a minute, is that Hun-Grr and the Seacons? When the hell did they get of out of the Lost Light's brig and where have they been?
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Kinda stands to reason that once the Lost Light landed on Cybertron that the Cons would have been moved - they may have been part of the big push against Shockwave.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

... And Nautilator's not among them :(

What? Rung got his head blown off and he's fine and dandy.

Anyway, the preview -- the first page in particular -- does at very least acknowledge the concern/observation I had two issues back. The Optimus Prime thing, I mean (I've come to terms with the whole suspension of disbelief thing).
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Hmmm... I wonder what this 'Alternative' is that was being alluded to right before the Temptorian-crew interruption. Judgment by Vector Sigma?

I also wonder why Starscream and Rattrap look so freaked out by the contents of the statement. Maybe they see where Megatron is going with it and are worried by what it'll do
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Very dense issue. Almost too dense. Lots of twists, one of which I'm sure we all thought might have been possible given the way roberts likes to play with the readers.

Without going into details just yet, I really like the directions taken on a few things here simply because they are going in directions I didnt think off. But the issue feels overly packed, like there is just too much being fitted in here. I dont think the colourng helps - its looking more than a little crowded at times now and while each panel looks great, they dont always convey what they need to straight away.

Still the high point of IDWs three and good fun overall but a little less could yield a little more on all counts if you get me.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

SPOILERS

Maybe I've got rose tinted glasses with this series - as have plenty of other people, I'm sure - but I'm still absolutely loving it. It's maybe less "fun" than the early arcs and trying to cram in a lot of story but it's absolutely fascinating.

Plenty of scenes showing Megatron as a sympathetic character, and the fake speech along with strength sapping energon all seems very much like the kind of things that would have been done pre-war to unruly citizens. I can't help but feel that this situation is going to blow up in their faces.

I know the Rodimus twist was in one shape or form expected but I do think it's been really well handled.

I have lots more thoughts, but I need to read it again and have a think about them...
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I liked the twist - like I said I think we all considered it as an option. It was surprising but not in a "ah, no way" kinda deal.

Agreed about the Megs scene - the panel with his head in his hands and the voice over claiming that it was good they never won was excellent.

Its got its flaws, but I would still find it always engaging.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm loving how dense all this is, compared to the fairly sedate RID and Windblade you're certainly getting bang for your buck, it actually winds up feeling like it's sucking the plot developments from the rest of IDW's output.

Loved the almost casual way Rodimus having been there all along was revealed, even if the body did turn out to be what we were all expecting.

The flashback scenes were pretty much all perfect as well, I love that for all that he may be sincere Megatron still had a back up plan to get out of the trial if needed, it makes him more layered than just a reformed bad guy, there's still a cynical edge there.

That was a great Rodimus/Rachet scene as well, and you know I feel Rodimus is actually justified in being in a sulk. Effectively in the post war world he's a private citizen who has had his quest and his ship usurped by the government without even being told directly about it first. Indeed, the whole crew don't seem to have had a say in it, was all of them simply refusing to carry on if Megatron came with them even an option?

And we're getting a Tailgate/Getaway/Cyclonus love triangle? Potentially a bit soap operaish, especially as I don't think Getaway and Tailgate have even interacted before this, but I suppose we'll see how it goes.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

"Not now, Magnus!"

:D
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Also a minor props to the Swerve intros. The first one felt like swerve overkill (even for a fan such as myself) but it worked quite well here. Reminding you of what was going on and pointing out the important bits. It would be nice if we get other variations of it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:I'm loving how dense all this is, compared to the fairly sedate RID and Windblade you're certainly getting bang for your buck,
Yupyupyup.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Just the usual notes:

Rodimus -- After Rung, and Magnus, and Tailgate, it's hard to be surprised about this sort of thing anymore, but I'm not sure I want to brand this one as yet another fake-out. I mean, Rodimus -- present-time Rodimus -- wasn't dead or shown dying. He was just off panel this whole time having a pout ;)

May be right about the whole time paradox thingy after all. Which I was joking about, but... shut up, whatever. Pretty comedic response to seeing his corpse, though. He's overreacting just a touch (he's prepared to cut off his arm to prove a point, for ****'s sake), but it's not everyday one's asked to identify their own corpse.

Do agree with Dalek that Rodimus sulking about the ship is justified. Easy for me to empathize with, anyway. On top of his quest being pulled out from under him -- with no say in the matter, in fact -- at different points two people within his inner-circle (Ratchet and Magnus) have flat out told Rodimus that they're none too pleased with him.

Guess Rodimus gets to have his redemption arc alongside Megatron's now.

Ratchet -- Yes, very much classic Ratchet here. The guy who isn't afraid to tell his superiors just how it is is pretty consistent with the character. Great moment, though. Great moment. It's not often we see he and Rodimus interact in this manner.

Do wonder why Ratchet chose to take part in the quest again, especially now that Megatron is kind of, sort of running the show.

Megatron -- I'm still struggling with this concept, but I'm ... content with the conclusion. While Megatron's acquittal was the result of a technicality, it's a much better outcome than I had initially feared.

His and Optimus' moment together, coercing that statement out of him and the subsequent distress it clearly has caused him was a highlight. That was great. It went some way towards lessening the reservations I have in any case.

Not entirely sold on the 'total visibility theory' thing as an explanation why he's 'Co-Captain', though. Or why folks like Ratchet and Ultra Magnus are all chummy with Megatron now. Something just isn't adding up with me.

Other stuff:

Yup, Getaway is up to no good and sweet, naive Tailgate doesn't seem to know any better. Wonder what his angle is? Not quite sure what to make of Cyclonus' response however. Is it simply jealousy, or is it that he's seeing right through Getaway's bullshit?

Speaking of angles, now that we know that the list was a fake, what is Atomizer's? And who put him up to it?

If 'Team Rodimus' really is a thing, that's a pretty smart line up. I think I could go for a one-shot story following these guys around on some silly little caper. It would be fun. I approve of this idea.

If I squint hard enough, I can spot Blades in the crowd scene on the second to last page.... Shut up! Don't judge me :(
Terome

Post by Terome »

Will say more later but I really love that they were able to infer that Drift would come back by the fact there was no actual content to the ancient mystical symbols written all over Rodimus' coffin.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Can I just say, the image attached below tells an entire story on its own.

Prime's silhouette moving away from a weeping Megatron... damn, there's a lot going on in such a small space. The text only serves to strengthen an already strong image.

Probably one of my favorite moments throughout this arc.
Attachments
Megatron weeping.png
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Stand out bit for me too. Its megs words linked with the image of him. Really hots home what a sacrifice optimus asked of him.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

zigzagger wrote: Do wonder why Ratchet chose to take part in the quest again, especially now that Megatron is kind of, sort of running the show.
Also, what happened to the whole new CMO thing? Obviously First Aid isn't up to it at the moment, so is Ratchet still in charge (making him go off on a quest again somewhat odder) or has Fixit finally formally been given the job he's basically been doing for the last two years anyway?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Oh that's right. Barber had laid claim on Fixit. Forgot about that...

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we're continuing to get more Ratchet and that he not slip back into comic book limbo as he did throughout McCarthy and Costa's runs. He's a great fit for the book, too. Still, it is kind of odd he'd stick around for the reasons mentioned.

I dunno... maybe it's simply out of morbid curiosity. Given his options, he could either head back to Earth with Optimus (and who would want to do that ;)), watch the citizens of Cybertron continue their descent into madness under Starscream, or search for robot heaven with Zapp Brannigan and the reformed Space Hitler. I guess the last one would pique anyone's curiosity.