Franchises--other collecting hobbies you've just dropped over the years?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I thought I had replied to this already. I guess not.

Was big into Star Wars in the late 1990s, mostly the video games out at the time (Tie Fighter!). The prequels killed that interest. Also in the late 1990s, I loved me some Magic: The Gathering. That just sort of stopped once I graduated and didn't see any of the people I played with much anymore. I sold all my cards not too long after, but I do miss it though.

I can definitely say that I've stuck with the robots because the franchise is active. We keep getting new figures and iterations every few years, and that directly keeps the interest going.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I was a user of Magic: The Gathering as well. Then a friend asked me to take his place in a tournament that he had entered but couldn't play in. That cured me of that habit! I was clearly the pinnacle of the social pyramid in that smelly little back room, and that's not a place I'm comfortable being. I think I still have all my cards around somewhere, but from what I understand, the cards from my generation are basically useless with the powerups and titanization of the expansions since then.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Was also into Magic. Kind of inherited my sister's decks and collection back then, had a pretty good green/black deck that kicked asses, then Morph came into play, got Ixidor in a trade, started trying to play competitively with Morphs but failed miserably.

Shortly afterwards I just gave up. :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Star Wars. Was a huge fan of it. The remake/adding additional of the original three killed my interest a little bit but not that much until the prequels. Yes, the prequels totally killed off my interest and I left it for good. Toys all went to my son and he didn't play with them often either.

Gundams. Man! How I loved this franchise especially the line with either or both Amuro and Char in there. My best Gundam moments were still in the original one, Zeta, and Char's counterattack. The newer ones were getting boring-er and boring-er and I absolutely hate Destiny. After Destiny, I totally dropped this franchise and all my Gundam model kits except MG Sazabi (oh wait! I painted his axe and gave it to Lugnut) became my TF custom parts now.

Final Fantasy. Played from the first one until X-2. The newer games (include and after VIII) were nothing more comparing to the old ones. I then sold all my original soundtracks (from 1 to 8) and Bahamut figure to other collectors.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Denyer wrote:Steph Batgirl -- Vol 1: Batgirl Rising, Vol 2: The Flood, Vol 3: The Lesson.
All of which are out of print, as far as I can see. It would be nice if they'd release it in a collected edition, though DC are a bit sh*t when it comes to that.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Neuronutter wrote:All of which are out of print, as far as I can see. It would be nice if they'd release it in a collected edition, though DC are a bit sh*t when it comes to that.
I'd love it if they did, but last I heard DC are doing their best to pretend that Stephanie Brown never existed, so I won't hold my breath. :(

I think a lot of the second-tier titles that they axed to make room for New 52 suffered the same fate, basically being swept under the rug and ignored.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Warcry wrote:I'd love it if they did, but last I heard DC are doing their best to pretend that Stephanie Brown never existed, so I won't hold my breath. :(

I think a lot of the second-tier titles that they axed to make room for New 52 suffered the same fate, basically being swept under the rug and ignored.
There are many low-print runs that were excellent that could be collected into cheap trades. Marvel seems to do a good job of that, for example Thor: The Mighty Avenger was excellent. Brubaker's Winter Soldier too. But DC seem to ignore those series without Batman in the title.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

When you move 19 times in the first 24 years of your life, you learn very quickly that amassing large quantities of toys and collectibles just isn't practical. I've really only actively collected Transformers and Legos, and the Lego thing stopped back in 1996. Nowadays, I only collect Transformers. I don't even really buy DVD's anymore - the only Blu-Rays I've bought in the past three years are Pacific Rim, Dark of the Moon, and a few nature-oriented box sets like Blue Planet, Frozen Planet, and Wild Ocean.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Marvel Legends/DC Direct - When Marvel announced they were ending the Marvel Legends line, I pretty much got rid of everything this size short of a few select characters and my GL collection. Then they brought it back, and I just didn't have any desire for it anymore.

Videogames - When my wife was pregnant, I decided to pare down what I was spending, and gaming was the first to go. I've decided that I'm tired of being treated like a potential thief, rather than a potential customer, and I'm done after the 360. Now that my daughter is here, I just don't have the time.

Physical Comics - I still collect Uncanny, X-men, and GL. Everything else, I purchase digitally. They just take up too much space.