Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:I suppose the most straightforward explanation is that the spreading effect simply hadn't reached OLL Rewind's floating corpse yet (something backed up as the likes of Cosmos don't seem to have vanished form) and that's why ALL Rewind was safe. If we go with that, the Matrix would depend on whether Rodimus had thrown the broken half away or not.
The shattered Matrix bits from our Lost Light are scattered over the cooled hotspot on Luna 1, per the text story at the end of Remain in Light.

I doubt the alternate Matrix half was stuff in the coffin with Rodimus, given that it's their map. Seems more likely that Drift or Magnus would have kept it so they could figure out where they were going.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Unicron wrote:The shattered Matrix bits from our Lost Light are scattered over the cooled hotspot on Luna 1, per the text story at the end of Remain in Light.

I doubt the alternate Matrix half was stuff in the coffin with Rodimus, given that it's their map. Seems more likely that Drift or Magnus would have kept it so they could figure out where they were going.
Sometimes, just sometimes, it might be best to stop over-thinking this stuff. I'm sure we can find cracks in the alternate/ original plotline if we keep looking but for the most part I think Roberts has done a great job with the idea. I wouldnt be surprised if there is something specific about Rewind and the Alternate briefcase surviving (by the fact that the attention is drawn to both) but if there are other bits that dont add up, I'm happy enough with what does work.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Errr.... I, uh, I was just thinking about the overall quest ;)

It was just a random thought I had. The OLL crew had lost their map, so I was wondering what happened to the ALL crew's half of the Matrix. Was it left behind in the wreckage? Did the DJD take it? And while the OLL gang is planning on catching up with Thunderclash at some point, the map is still kind of pertinent to finding the Knights.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

There was another line about the ALL going where they were supposed to go, per the matrix map, whereas the OLL was off getting lost and distracted so I wouldn't be surprised to either see the ALL matrix turn up or rewind tell them where to go.
I like bears.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Hello! I haven't posted on here in years -since 2008!- as I kinda fell out of love with TF comics. Absolutely loving MTMTE, though, so...back in the game!

The specific reason that I'm posting is to point out that...
inflatable dalek wrote: Mind, if that Decepticon symbol was there all along, how did (Brainstorm) ever manage to have a drink in Swerve's without giving away his secret?
There's a panel in #30 where he refuses a drink, stating that he always carries his own...which he then pours into his wrist :swirly:

Yep, after 6 years, THAT'S what I wanted to post! I guess it could be evidence that he was 'wearing' the symbol prior to death-by-debris on the ALL, meaning that it wasn't planted on him by anyone in the room when he was found.

Or someone simply took advantage of his known chin issues?

Either way, he drinks through the wrist :)
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Was it death by debris though? If you look at that panel (where they lift the debris off of him), it looks like there's a small hole at the base of his spine, which tends to be the area where they remove the Transformaton cog.

So now that the ALL has returned Rewind, does that mean we can expect to see Polaris, Hyperion, the one they eulogised, Lockstock and Spoke and Deftwing return (that's the guy who got beheaded by a Legislator, yes?).

And what about Pipes? He died horribly in both continuities, but at what point are the two Lost Lights supposed to merge leaving one Lost Light, at the point of the Quantum jump in issue 1?

Does this mean our Ratchet still has his old hands? Is it simply that everyone whose died in our continuity since the first issue gets returned, and everyone (and everything) who've been picked up along the way since issue 1 get to remain on board because OLL takes precedence over the ALL since Rewind and Megatron switched off the Quantum drums of the ALL?

Maybe that's clearly stated, but I just wanted to check and see what others thought.

And Skids was the business :)
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Auntie Slag wrote: So now that the ALL has returned Rewind, does that mean we can expect to see Polaris, Hyperion, the one they eulogised, Lockstock and Spoke and Deftwing return (that's the guy who got beheaded by a Legislator, yes?).
Near as I can tell, it's only those who were alive when the OLL disappeared and the ALL engine shutdown who is around/back. Polaris, Pipes, etc. were dead at this point on both ships, so they don't get to come back. Rewind was alive on the ALL, so he gets to persist*.

As for Ratchet's Pharma-hands and Cyclonus' sword, they should be in the Rodpod, probably stuffed in a closet so people don't trip over them.

*That assumes the deciding factor in who came back is that there was one version alive. It's possible ALL Rewind stuck around because his OLL corpse (assuming he actually is dead floating in space with Overlord) is far away from the OLL's present location. As such, there could be the ALL corpses of Polaris, Hyperion, Tripodeca, etc. sitting on OLL right now.
Or it could be that ALL Rewind persisted because "Information has weight".
Or ALL Rewind is a fake and thus wouldn't have been eliminated with the ALL.

Hooray for overthinking things!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Unicron wrote:Or ALL Rewind is a fake and thus wouldn't have been eliminated with the ALL.
Eject was getting jealous being left out. One trip to a spray paint booth later...
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
6 years, almost.

Does this get me banned too?
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:Wait, so after 8 years Ask Aspel decides to come back just to point out I was wrong?

*BANNED*
Well, the rest of us had got that role pretty well covered, but we were on a tea break and he volunteered, so...
Wreck and Rule!
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

*BANNED*
Well, technically I was just answering your original question, so...not that I'm pointing out that you're wrong or anythi... I'll say my goodbyes.
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
inflatable dalek

Don't go AS, I was just attempting weak humour.

Rack'N'Ruin on the other hand is banned.
SPOILER! (select to read)
They won't actually let me ban people. I don't know why.
inflatable dalek

Hey, guess who just won the original Faceplate page art* on Ebay? Moi!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transformers- ... 7675.l2557

*Well, I say original, as, IIRC correctly, Milne didn't ink this I assume this is a high quality scan of the pencils than the inker then did his or her magic on (presumably that's the reason a lot of pages from this issue wound up on Ebay when there's an absence of other Milne drawn material on there). Presumably in this day and age inkers don't get sent the actual physical penciled page do they? Still very nice though and pretty much a one off that was surprisingly cheap (that works out less than I paid for my page of art from issue 6).

Slightly related to the issue beyond smug gloating:

I would like to retract what I said earlier about Nightbeat not detectoring enough as this week I have been mostly reading Raymond Chandler short stories and this approach of the hero having the plot explained to him is in fact entirely in keeping with the noir source that inspired the character.

Seriously, the poor detective (there's a few different ones but the names don't matter as they are all impossible to read without visualising Humphrey Bogart) is, when not drinking everything in sight, constantly being koshed on the head before being taken to the Big Man who cheerfully explains exactly how the detective has become a patsy (this usually involves a Dame That Done Him Wrong) .

The only actual deductions the hero makes seem to usually be based on him assuming everyone is out to get him and therefore they're all in on it.

These stories are however huge fun (and the characters who don't talk like Bogart talk like Sydney Greenstreet. Except the ones with vaginas who come over as Laruen Bacall).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Neat. Clear self-encapsulated storytelling even without the text.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Late to the party! Like, a month late.

I’ve finally read this issue. It’s a… good issue, I guess? It doesn’t wow me like a great MTMTE issue does – but at the same time nothing in this issue particularly grates so it isn’t a bad one.

The general conflict of dual quantum Lost Light thing is explained sufficiently and succinctly, even though thanks to overdiscussion in the forums we kind of figured it out two months ago. It’s not a bad explanation… not too stupid or too handwavey, but at the same time not too technical that it ends up being a handwave. It’s a nice explanation. We get a bunch of references to older events which is nice (is that the Dead Universe Wraith thing Nautica is holding in Brainstorm’s lab?), we get a nice little red herring in the Shrink Ray Gun…

I just wasn’t all that excited about the resolution mostly because I know it’ll be resolved, and the big question is only if Rewind will make it to the final product. Not saying that I don’t like it, because I do… but it isn’t a Holy Hell This Is Awesome reaction that I have to most things MTMTE, it’s a “I like it because I definitely don’t hate it” apathetic kind of like.

The big ones – the Chromedome-Rewind thing ends up ending the ‘good’ way like many people IIRC theorized, though we did get a Roberts™ Brand Fake Out death, though this one isn’t quite as jarringly obvious as many others. We get a nice little explanation to bring Rewind back, and it’s definitely not something I endorse – Rewind’s death is hands down one of my favourite moments in MTMTE history, so backpedalling around it pisses me off… but at the same time, it’s a different Rewind with traumas and shit which opens up a whole different can of worms and drama fuel, so we’ll see where it goes. Especially since Alternate Chromedome’s death was godawfully brutal. Hopefully we get something going on with Rewind, is all.

Overall I thought the Rewind/Chromedome stuff was handled as well as it could be – I am still opposed against the idea, but I don’t actively hate on it anymore.

The big one is also Brainstorm being revealed to be a Decepticon… which took me off-guard. Most of the issue proceeded the way I thought it would, except for this one part. And I thought the only mystery we’ve got going on for Brainstorm is his Dead Universe-ness which has been resolved in Dark Cybertron somewhat! Extremely interesting, especially just what is in the briefcase that ‘Our’ Brainstorm opened and took out the entire bar (that was a cool, awesome panel with a great one-liner) and just why did it survive the Quantum Fixer-Upper? Absolutely intrigued about Brainstorm.

A bit torn about Brainstorm in general, honestly. On one hand it’s an awesome twist if handled properly, on the other hand it reeks of a bluff and that Brainstorm’s not an actual Decepticon (why would a double agent wear an incriminating insignia on his person?) but if it’s the latter it’s going to piss the hell out of me because this is certainly a good twist. On the other other hand, I like Brainstorm dammit he can’t be the bad guy!

I’m honestly confused, because the only real hint of Brainstorm being evil was the morality bullets which presumably will serve as a way to make him not be evil, but we’ll see. There could be *ahem* more than meets the eye to Brainstorm’s current state.

And the goddamn Briefcase! Just what the hell is that thing? Why did it survive quantum stuffs? Why did it go from timey-wimey fourth-wall-breaking powers to knocking everyone out in the room? Did Brainstorm have multiple briefacses? Is the contents of the briefcase changed by the point one percenter?

The scream in ‘Our’ Rewind’s message… I’m going to assume waving it off as ‘stuff caused by the Quantum Stuff’ is a red herring. There must be more to it… and is Rewind’s explanation about how he’s not the plant also red herrings? Dammit so many herrings in this arc.

Did we see Chromedome’s brutal corpse with needle fingers stuck up his head in last issue? That made me wince.

Skids’ speech to Megatron I really like, and Megatron’s speech about not wanting to help random strangers, I really like as well. Bit cheesy all around, but I like. Also love the thing where Megatron doesn’t want to volunteer for a suicide mission because everyone else wants to. Megatron overall is still a lot of fun to read after being a bit shoehorned at the beginning of season two. I do like how he gradually changes and adapts to his Autobothood and learns that, you know, it’s not just turning a new leaf and that’s it. Again like living Rewind I still don’t like the idea, but Roberts executes it well enough that I don’t hate it.

I actually laughed when Megatron and Nightbeat did that type joke. I did.

Page with Chromedome and Rewind just standing on the thing? Beautiful. Megatron telling Rewind that he and Chromedome are ‘inseparable’ before the fake out death? Pretty heartwarming.

Thought the secondary characters were a bit weak. Riptide’s still a dick, but not as much as before. Nautica’s a lot more of an exposition machine than before. Nightbeat is still fun although not as strong as previous issues. Getaway is just… there. Still not sure why the cast change other than to facilitate the 'members of the original Lost Light are gone' thing. I WANT MORE WHIRL DAMMIT

Ravage is still lovable. “Touch me again and I kill you.” And while I don’t think that Ravage would be fazed off the Decepticon cause just by seeing a mountainload of Autobot corpses, his appearance here still delights.

Alternate Rodimus’ death is kind of idiotic but it’s, well, funny.

Cyclonus getting his face blown off by… by whichever of the DJD turns into a gun, Vos or Kaon, I forgot which is which, that was brutal. And Pipes! Dammit Roberts!

TL;DR, a satisfactory conclusion to a rather unconventional arc, Rewind’s return and Megatron are handled as well as it could, Brainstorm is a good twist, highly interested in Brainstorm, highly interested in the briefcase, hopeful that Rewind will do something interesting, what the hell was I doing forgetting to read this for a month
zigzagger

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #34

Post by zigzagger »

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #34 three-page preview by way of iTunes.
Attachments
MTMTE 34 Page3.jpg
MTMTE 34 Page2.jpg
MTMTE 34 Page1.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Why is Bluestreak coloured different every single time he appears? Last time I recall seeing him, in MTMTE #28, he had his normal, all-grey colour scheme. Not only is it silly on principle, but it's damned confusing considering how many other guys share his body type. Half the time he winds up looking more like Smokescreen than the person he's supposed to be -- which is exactly what happens on the first page of the preview.

Other than that I'm intrigued by the prospect of seeing these four starring for an issue, though I think Mainframe and Trailbreaker should disappear at some point?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Warcry wrote:Other than that I'm intrigued by the prospect of seeing these four starring for an issue, though I think Mainframe and Trailbreaker should disappear at some point?
Last panel on page one mentions disappearing people, disappearing shuttles, people floating in space. So I assume this is after the whole Lost Light vanishing bit.

Last panel page 2: Is that First Aid in alt mode? So he got his transformation cog fixed. Is that news?
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I didn't know First Aid had a broken T-cog. When was that mentioned?

Preview is a bit dull, imo. Bluestreak's phone is nice though. :)
Wreck and Rule!