Latest Music Purchases.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Overloaded: The Sugababes Greatest Hits.

Bought on a whim after Amazon music recommended it to me, this turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. I remembered liking most of their songs but I hadn't quite realised how many and how good they were as cheery pop. Indeed, I'd thought it was a post break up cash in album but this is actually early enough to still have one of the original members on the front and as such doesn't have all their hits on it (About You Now and that one which sampled Right Said Fred no one but me liked being the obvious omissions).

The Trigger's Broom approach to membership kind of overwhelmed everything about the band (creating the odd received wisdom the only "Proper" line up was the one that did just one album and didn't have the band's longest serving member on it) so it was nice to rediscover they were quite fun.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Aye, love the Sugababes. Although 'Overloaded' isn't a post break up cash-in. Instead, its "Girls Aloud also have hits compilation coming out - quick sling one out and lets try grab some market share!" released as it was in 2006. The released a further three albums after this one (technically 4, as they re-recorded 'Taller In More Ways' to airbrush Mutya Buena out of that album and slot in latest new girl Amelle Berrabah) 'Change', 'Catfights And Spotlights' and 'Sweet 7' (which hilariously features no original members.).

For further listening ex-Sugababes listening, I highly recommend Siobahn Donaghy's second album 'Ghosts' , Mutya's only album 'Real Girl' is also worth a listen (if only for knowing single 'Out Of Control' and the title track).

I can also highly recommend the Veronicas, if you fancy some other lady pop. Two Antipodean sisters churning out agreeable stomping pop. Start with second album 'Hook Me Up'.

From there, you may also enjoy New Young Pony Club, if you haven't tried them already...

Quick links to some top tunes...

https://youtu.be/Pt6z2ka-EVc
https://youtu.be/FY5NYBRMurk
https://youtu.be/ykW4rtW2eu0
https://youtu.be/-shACMaxUb0
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

So I has been to the shops and the bins in Poundland and have also recently purposely bought some tapes off the interweb on purpose so have a right stack of stuff to bore you all with over the coming weeks and months! Hooray!

Babymetal 'Metal Resistance' (2016)
I'm just not feeling this one as much as the debut. Maybe its that the novelty has worn off (probably) or that this has opened the floodgates for a legion of immitators (it has), this just isn't grabbing me so much. It is a good album, there's just not enough development of their sound for me, so it just comes over as more of the same. Still good fun, just not as much fun as I was expecting.

The Kills 'Ash & Ice' (2016)

Yay! The Kills! I bloody love the Kills and was actually scared they'd split up, but no, Jamie had bust his hand and had to learn to play the guitar all over again. The break actually has done them some good, as there's a refreshing change in their bluesy rifferama, which sounds a lot more sunny than, well, their last four albums (which , tbh, do all sound the same. They're like a modern day JAMC!).

Garbage 'Strange Little Birds' (2016)

I often forget quite how much I like Garbage. This is a good reminder as it ACE and you should all go out and buy five copies each its that good. Might even be their best album too!
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Skyquake87 wrote:Babymetal 'Metal Resistance' (2016)
I'm just not feeling this one as much as the debut. Maybe its that the novelty has worn off (probably) or that this has opened the floodgates for a legion of immitators (it has), this just isn't grabbing me so much. It is a good album, there's just not enough development of their sound for me, so it just comes over as more of the same. Still good fun, just not as much fun as I was expecting.
I found the first one to be a bit more kooky and outré, whereas this one just sounds like generic melodic power metal-type stuff. First one definitely had more character to it. It was zanier and innocent, whereas the follow-up feels a bit more homogenous and grown-up.
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yes. Like a big soup of metal and squeaky ladies.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Thank you for reminding me that Babymetal exists. :up: I was going to check them out at one point and then promptly forgot.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ditto. With everything else going on, didn't notice this one. Need to sort out the last 2-3 years of music acquisitions and do some ripping/listening.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

So, i few weeks ago i was rummaging through the eclectic left overs you can find at Poundland, and so I present for you delectation and amusement...

The Jam 'Beat Surrender' (1993)
Not at all cheap cash in sort of 'best of' from Spectrum music not all timed to coincide with Weller's early '90s resurgence from the doldrums of Style Council with 'Wild Wood', oh no. Except it is. Interesting for including The Jam's version of the '60s Batman theme (!), and not as many of the hits as you might imagine.

Sheryl Crow 'Tuesday Night Music Club' (1993)
A ubiquitous album back in the day, thanks to FM radio airplay hogging single 'All I Wanna Do', this is a surprisingly ace album that belies the pop-country the singles taken from the record. A very pleasant surprise.

New Order '(the best of) New Order' (1994)
Decent compilation of New Order's career to '94 and the one with blue squiggle on the front (got the remix album treatment with a pink squiggle called '(the rest of)'). The mighty 'Blue Monday' and indie club favourite 'True Faith '94' still dominate much of their output (even today), but more interesting are the less obvious hits like 'Vanishing Point', 'Shell Shock' and 'Thieves Like Us'.

Alanis Morissette 'Jagged Little Pill' (1995)
Much imitated (and mocked) but never bettered, Morissette's debut album is one of the finest rock albums of the '90s. A great set of sharp, punchy tunes, despite 'Ironic' having no grasp of irony (Irony is ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife, only to find out you could have managed with a spoon in the first place.).

Spice Girls 'Spice' (1996)
I can't stand 'Wannabe', horrible sub-Shampoo shout-a-long that's more Vanilla ('no way/ now way' - oh yes oh yes, unfortunately) that leads off the album and standard bearer for what the Spice Gilrs are all about (guhh) . Rest of the album is pretty damn fab, with 'Say You'll Be There' (the ultimate friend zone song) , 'Who Do You Think You Are' and 'If You Can't Dance' being my favourites.

Spice Girls 'Spiceworld' (1997)
Accomplished second album that basically hits all the same beats as the first one, just with better tunes. Not sure about the inclusion of Pepsi flogging 'Move Over' as a legitimate album track, rather than the B-Side fodder it so obviously is. Hadn't realised how much I liked the clatter and cacophony of 'Spice Up Your Life' till listening to this.

N.E.R.D 'fly or die' (2004)
Disappointing syrupy R'N'B dirge that lacks any focus. Or decent tunes. Anyone who's enjoyed Daft Punk's recent output will probably enjoy this though.

The Chemical Brothers 'push the button' (2004)
Crikey, the Chemicals were all at sea in the last decade weren't they? Whilst this isn't a bad album, it follows the template they'd mapped out nearly ten years previous on 'Exit Planet Dust'. Like a lot of dance music since the turn of the century, it doesn't quite know what to do with itself, so just sticks to what it knows and hopes it'll turn out alright. 'Galvanize' is a fantastic CHOON though.

The Dykeenies 'nothing means everything' (2007)
Fantastic skinny jeans punk flavoured indie rock, makes a heck of an impression with not a duff tune from start to finish. No wonder they were widely tipped for big things. Sadly, it wasn't to be and they, like so many bands from the last decade, fell by the wayside finally calling it a day in 2012. Shame.

Operator Please 'yes yes vindictive' (2007)
Lovely swirly, jerky oddball guitar pop. I bought a few singles by this lot at the time, but never got around to picking up the album (silly me). Better late than never, right? Another great band that haven't managed to stay the distance. At least they gave us the excellent 'Just A Song About Ping Pong' ,without which the world would be a sadder place.

We Are Scientists 'with love and squalor' (2007)
Something of a big deal, I've never quite got what eveyone says is so totes amazeballs about this lot. They place competent indie rock. Maybe its because their American, so its alt-rock and therefore so much cooler. Probably that. Decent album, but nothing stands out much beyond lead single 'Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt'.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Simple Minds 'Sons And Fascination / Sister Feelings Call' (1981)
Fantastic synth-driven rock that's aged remarkably well, thanks to some ahead of its time production. Contains my all time favourite tune of theirs 'Love Song'. Whats great about this, is that so much of the stuff on show here is streets ahead of that drippy cobblers from The Breakfast Club for which they are best remembered these days. Which is a shame, because The Breakfast Club is balls. Altogether now "America/ America/ American OHHH!"

The Specials 'The Specials' (1979)
From the days when the fusion of white boy punk with '50s Jamaican Ska was a genuinely exciting development and a breath of fresh air. And less likely to induce the sort of seizures that so much US ska/punk induces. I love how spectral (Spectoral?) this sounds, and is one of those records that - cliche alert- really does transplant you to the time and place of its making. In this case, a very grim and run down Britain full of tribes and razor blade fights.

Prince And The Revolution 'Music From The Motion Picture Purple Rain' (1984)The album that probably best defines Prince and the one to start with if you'rethinking of dabbling your ears into Prince's bewildering back catalogue. Featuring a proper band this time reins a lot of Prince's self-indulgence creating a taught and focused record. With four of the nine songs on here mined as singles which became monstrous hits, the album does feel a bit uneven listening to in hindsight. When those singles are the likes of 'When Doves Cry', 'Lets Go Crazy', I Would Die For You' and pompous over the final credits ballad 'Purple Rain', its hard to complain. Best of all, you can almost smell the dry ice.

Soft Cell 'Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret (1981) 1996 Reissue
A slightly sickly, seedy album full of odes to the sort of grim and dead-eyed places where prostitutes and drug dealers ply their trade. Its lacking in much of the way in emotion, but I kind of like how cold and detached it all sounds, like someone resigned to their disgusting fate and blocking the pain out with dancing and barbiturates. The '96 version throws in 8 B-Sides, including the excellent 'Memorabilia'.

Fun Boy Three 'Waiting' (1983)

I bought this purely for 'Our Lips Are Sealed' which is a frickin' masterpiece of understatement in pop, turns out the rest of the record is pretty ace too, so hooray for that.

Killing Joke 'Whats This For..!' (1981)

Man, Killing Joke just blow me away. This second album builds on the stark mechancial thrashings of the first. Its not much of a development, in all honesty, just the sign of a band honing their craft and there ain't nothing wrong with that when its this ace.

Gary Numan 'The Pleasure Principle' (1979)
Having tired of being in the (Tubeway) Army, the Numanoid sets out his stall with this brittle sounding record. In a way, its not that far removed from the clanking misery of Joy Divison. Its just the synths make things sound more glacial and distant. 'Cars' sticks out, as you might expect, but I do like that this sounds like the soundtrack to the dystopian future we're living in now. And if you seek out the reissue, you can treat yourself to the hilariously po-faced reading of 'On Broadway'.

Blondie 'AutoAmerican' (1980)
Yes yes, Blondie may not be 'punk' in the truest sense of the word, having only vaguely sounding something like on debut 'Blondie', but who cares when you can turn out pop that's as funky and sleek as this?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Really brilliant stuff once again, Skyquake. How do you get hold of all this stuff? And when you do, is it exclusively one format, say CD... or do you go for anything:Vinyl, Cassette, download?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I mostly buy CDs these days, and just from anywhere, really. Although I notice that MusicMagpie have a lot of the second hand market sewn up these days. Great for me, bad for anyone hoping to make any money out of their music collection. I generally buy new stuff from actual record shops, and second hand stuff from Amazon/ Play/ebay/ That's Entertainment!/ Charity Shops etc.

I had a huge vinyl collection which I'd cribbed from many a second hand shop/ charity shops, but I had to sell a lot when I moved house 11 years ago. There just wasn't the space. I like vinyl, and I've still got a bunch of 12" stuff that's really important to me (mainly Curve, PWEI, Jesus Jones, Adam & The Ants, plus some other bits) and a load of 7" singles (they're small enough I could keep them), but I don't tend to go for it these days. Especially as its now a thing people buy to look hip, so the prices are ludicrous.

I did willfully buy about 20 cassettes a month or so ago. I have a cassette radio/ stereo in the kitchen, and I'd pretty much exhausted listening to the handful of tapes I had and like to have something tootling away whilst I'm cooking when I'm fed up of the radio.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Love Autoamerican, it's the sort of album only a bored band at the peak of their success could really make. Reggae, rap, torch songs, all just thrown in. Personally find Blondie's other albums tend to fall into the trap of killer singles and unmemorable filler. Blinding cover too.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

So, while all of y'all where at TFNation, I went to ArcTanGent in a field south of Bristol where I saw a lot of post/alt/noise/math core bands. I have no idea what any of those genres are, but I did find a new favourite band and a new favourite song. And here it is:

https://youtu.be/Azwuqj7JnMI
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lets check out some Cassettes wot I got :

The Mission - 'Children' (1988)
I'm a little bit lukewarm on The Mission, tbh, but there's no denying this a great album with some great pompous sweeps of sonic majesty. I love Goth music for its general overwrought nature and that its not afraid of looking silly whilst standing on a windswept beach looking broody. Or on a hill. All of which imagery this album conjures up. Excellent stuff.

Transvision Vamp - 'Little Magnets versus The Bubble of Babble' (1991)
The 'lost' third album from Transvision Vamp that saw the band jettisoned from MCA. So little faith did the label have in this record that it didn't get a domestic release in the UK, being lost to the wilds of the global market. Shame really, as its actually pretty good. Its a lot more mellow, and has that sort of soft squelchy sound a lot of early '90s pop music had. So anyone expecting the brash bubblegum FM rock of their first two albums will be disappointed.

Pop Will Eat Itself - 'This Is The Day, This The Hour...This Is This!' (1989)
Fantastic major label debut from the Poppies. The budget afforded by BMG really allows the band's magpie approach to music to be properly realised, with a dense collage of hip-hop, choice film, advertising and TV samples informing the shape and sound of the album. Packed with kick-ass tunes and a sense of world watching television whilst it burns, this is a great great record.

Ruby - 'Salt Peter' (1995)
Excellent grimy 'trip-hop' (remember that?) from former Silverfish frontwoman Leslie Rankine. One of the great 'lost' albums of the Britpop era, it being largely overlooked on release, which is a great shame, and perhaps one of the reasons it took so long for a follow up to emerge. The singles from this 'Paraffin', 'Hoops' & 'Tiny Meat' are all excellent slices of scaberous dance music, in the frame of an album which is a scuzzy, desperate, crawl through the despair of willing subjection of giving up and finding yourself living through all kinds of filth and horror. Its basically the soundtrack to Hellblazer.

Audioweb - 'Audioweb' (1996)
One of the few breakthrough indie bands of the Britpop era to try and do something different with the form, chucking in some sampling and dub to the traditional white-boy rock template. Everything off here has single potential and only a pointless cover of The Clash's 'Bankrobber' derails things.

P.M. Dawn - 'Of The Heart, Of The Soul, And Of The Cross' (1991) Stoners who've found God make enjoyable blissed-out pop music. Pretty much all there is to say about this. Its good, floaty-light stuff but doesn't linger in the mind. Odd clattery mix of 'Reality Used To Be A Friend Of Mine' which isn't a patch on the single version used here.

Bomb The Bass - 'Clear' (1995)
If the dance music landscape for 1995 wasn't dominated by Massive Attack, Tricky and The Chemical Brothers, I think this would have made much more impact than it did. A tough, punchy fuzzed up album that fizzes and crackles with polemic (and er, Will Self) and is a jolly engaging listen.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

After some random Youtubage I came across some Sophie Ellis-Bextor songs on Youtube which reminded me both how awesome she was and how much her symetrical face and smooth skin made her look like a Russian doll with several smaller Sophie Ellis-Bextors inside her.

I really enjoy both the song and video to Take Me Home, where she gamely carries on despite being attacked by Autons during the shoot:

And probably her most famous song, Murder on the Dancefloor, is made even more awesome by one of my favourite "Hey that guy!" bit part actors as one of the judges. Yes, it's President Winters from offa that John Simm Master story in Doctor Who! Or the sceptical American from Ghostwatch! Or the "Do you mean like the Dev-ON-shire?" guy from Tomorrow Never Dies (called Dr Dave Greenwalt according to IMDB, surely named after the future Angel co-creator?)!

So inspired by that I bought her first album and it is indeed awesome. She's actually had a longer musical career than I expected so I will have to check it out...

Also, and more importantly, why did no one tell me the William Shatner version of Common People is unironically actually quite good?

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Sophie's whimisical folky album from around 2014 is probably her best and well worth a listen. She's reverted to turning out mid-'80s themed pop this year, which is fine, but its clear she's got the chops to do more than that.

...I still miss her old band theaudience
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Crikey, how is it nearly the end of 2016? I has bought a bunch more stuffs over the last six months, so for your delectation...

Purson 'Desire's Magic Theatre' (2016)
Glorious doom/ stoner/ '70s flavoured metal that sounds surprisingly fresh and vital. Not lumpen and dull like Orange Goblin or any of that lot. I like retro stuff like this that's done with an eye on modernity.

September Mourning 'Volume II - The Hand Of Fate' (2016)
Interesting project that's a collaboration between comic book artist Marc Silvestri and musician Emily Lazar. Sounds a lot like In This Moment, which is a thing (and probably why I like it), but its a jolly old listen all the same. Theatrical, Melodramatic and FM friendly.

Devin Townsend Project 'Transcendence' (2016)
More overblown kitchen-sink heavy metal theatrics from DTP. I like it, but it doesn't do much to move DTPs sound on from this HUGE sound that he's currently got going on. In a way, its a bit like the intensity of Strapping Young Lad, only with choirs and production, rather than piles of guitars.

MSTRKRFT 'Operator' (2016)
Bought on a whim as I've heard good things about this lot. Wonder now if I should have picked up Metronomy's new one instead. Sigh.

Warpaint 'Heads Up' (2016)
Awesomely woozy sounding fuzz-rock. Sounds like it should be the soundtrack to an indie film somewhere. If it isn't already.

and speaking of soundtracks... (seemless, this, isn't it?)

Cliff Martinez - 'The Neon Demon OST' (2016)
My favourite film of the year also produces a fab soundtrack - great icy slabs of electro, that pulse and parp away. There's a nice sticky sickliness to some of these tracks and some crawling, scratching menace that throbs away on some of the later tracks - which are in sequence with the film! Hooray. Love it. Highly recommended, even though SIAs on it at the end.

Honeyblood 'Babes Never Die' (2016)
I bought their debut earlier this year, which I'll write about in a bit, and liked it a lot. This delivers more of the same clattery garage stuff, which is fine, but nowhere near as totes amazeballs as everyone else seems to be making out. Maybe I'm missing something, or I dunno, I listen to things more than once and don't have them shoved on some quickly forgotten jumble of guff on a phone or Spotify.

Lacuna Coil 'Delirium' (2016)
Solid mental-asylum based theatrics from the Italian melodic powerhouses. Not sure shouty singer man adds much to proceedings, tbh. Christina has a fair set of pipes on her to do without moustache shouting away in the background.

Sleigh Bells 'Jessica Rabbit' (2016)
After three cracking albums, which raced along at a fair old pace and made a right old racket, here we have something of a pause. There's a lot less urgency to the songs and a lot of the rough edges have been shaved off which brings a lot of the melody and pop suss to the surface, which makes for a nice change of pace...just maybe not one I was expecting. A grower, I think.

Slaves 'Take Control' (2016)
Slaves made one of my favourite records of last year, and they top their impressive debut with a superb second album which blows away the cobwebs. I love punk when its like this, cathartic and with some substance and thought to the usual anti-everything rhetoric. My favourite tune is defintitely the childishly simple and silly 'F*ck the Hi-Hat' which is two minutes of that being shouted whilst a drum kit is pushed down the stairs. Brilliant.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Gunship 'Gunship' (2015)

This is a side-project by a few of the guys from Fightstar. They attach Charlie thingummy's voice to a track or two (the tall one with the eyebrows from Busted), but for the rest they do their own vocals.

They call their music style Synthwave, it uses many authentic synths from the late 70's and 80's, and it really does feel like a musical interpretation of Blade Runner and The Terminator. They even get John Carpenter to voice an intro to the track below.

Its so awesome. I love it it to bits, and there's some great videos to accompany, like this:

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That is ace. I has boughted.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Cassette Fun Times Part 94!

The Mission 'Carved In Sand' (1990)
This is good stuff. Lovely sweeping melancholy with some BIG sounds. 'Amelia', 'Grapes Of Wrath' and 'Deliverance' are my favourites. I'm convinced by the Mission having listened to the couple of albums I've picked up. Well, except for 'Masque' (1992) which I used to own some years ago on 12". That was rubbish.

Curve 'Cuckoo' (1993)
I was asked at work recently if I was stuck on a desert island and had just one album to listen to, which one would it be? Couple of guys just said 'I'll have my phone - its got everything on' (boring!), but I plumped for this. Its been one of those records that's been a touchstone in my life and even though I must have listened to it a bajillion times, it still holds that same sense of discovery as when I first listened to it. Love it.

Transvision Vamp 'Velveteen' (1989)
Still love this. Great FM stompy glam-pop-punk-rockarama.

Jesus Jones 'Perverse' (1993)
Another all time favourite album of all time, this is easily Jesus Jones best album. I wrote a review on Amazon ages ago that still sums up how I feel about it. Mike Edwards desire to be taken seriously as a credible artist and push JJ sound into more experimental territory is undone by his knack for songwriting which creates some interesting friction in the sound. Even though it does times sound like a ZX Spectrum arguing with a Fax machine, its still a belter of an album.

The Cranberries 'Everyone else is doing it, so why can't we?' (1992)
Ah, The Cranberries. Such promise on this and second album 'No Need To Argue' and then it all went a bit wibbly. This is a surprisingly great record, full of calm and understatement, like a lot of folk. Its not short on whimsy and innocence either, which one always finds surprising given how ballsy and outspoken singer Dolores is.

Suzanne Vega '99.9F degrees' (1992)
Love this record, especially the title track and the excellent clanking 'Blood Makes Noise'. From the time Vega was enjoying some chart success off the back of the DNA remix of 'Tom's Diner' that appeared in that film about a cafe and some fella with an animal's heart or something (I may be mis-remembering this).

One Dove 'morning dove white' (1993)

Lovely trippy dance music that's full of uplifting good vibes. Bit of a shame in some ways that its clogged up with so many remixes of 'White Love' and 'Breakdown' which are all largely interchangeable and scream of padding. They are good tunes though, so I don't mind too much.

Senser 'Stacked Up' (1994)
Has to be a contender for one of the greatest hip-hop/metal albums of all time. Not a duff track on here, and peppered with the excellent singles 'The Key', 'No Comply' , 'Switch', 'Eject' and 'Age Of Panic' (the latter not as impressive on the album compared to the single's git-o-rama mix). Urgent, powerful and danceable stuff, this puts cobblers like Limp Bizkit in the shade. The band split after this album, with half of them going off to form Lodestar and although they later reconvened, they'd lost a lot of ground and Nu-Metal had been and gone in the meantime, making them sound like curious throwbacks, which is a great shame.

Salad 'Drink Me' (1995)
If The Cardigans hadn't got there first, this lot might have made more of an impact. Key single 'Drink The Elixir' aside, this slightly twee folky stuff doesn't linger long enough in the memory to make you care overmuch, unfortunately. Singer Marijine used to be an MTV VJ you know.

Terence Trent D'Arby 'Introducing the Hardline According To' (1987)
He ultimately succumbed to his own arrogance and proclamations of genius which he subsquently failed to deliver on, but here, on this debut album is the sound of a raw and promising musician. 'Wishing Well' is my favourite off here.

EMF 'Schubert Dip' (1990)
Pretenders to Jesus Jones techno-rock throne, the Epsom Mad Funkers nevertheless turned out some creditable pop welly on this debut album. In addition to the evergreen 'Unbelievable', there's some good stuff in 'Children', 'Lies' and 'Girl Of An Age'. The live version of 'E.M.F.' tucked away as a bonus at the end of the record is also a belter.

The Disposable Heroes Of HipHoprisy 'Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury' (1991) Po-faced right-on Music With A Message that's trying hard to be Public Enemy but is more Back To The Planet. 'Television, The Drug Of The Nation' is still awesome though.