Dalek and Warcry's Endless Star Trek Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Warcry wrote:I had no idea that happened. Yeah, it's pretty hard to deny if they poached staff from the other show.
Their first work on the show was the second half of the battle in Sacrifice of Angels. There was a great quote in an SFX interview where they were showing off the CGI shots and were like "Of course, in the final episode they'll ruin it by cutting to the actors". Getting the Trek gig (they went on to do a lot of Voyager) basically saved the company after losing the B5 job.

Well, he's not entirely wrong even if he's being a jerk about it. I'm sure there are a lot of actresses who are both talented and beautiful, but the talent isn't mandatory and it's certainly not what gets their foot in the door in Hollywood. There's a lot of stunningly beautiful "actresses" out there who can't act their way out of a paper bag but go on to long careers anyway, because acting talent isn't what they're hired for.
Mind, there's also a lot of very handsome actors on Trek who only got work through their good looks (hello Harry Kim!), so its odd to single out the girls. Unless he was never looking that hard for talent in the first place...

Worf was trying really hard not to kill anyone when he was fighting the Lakota, though. A few quantum torpedoes to the drive section would have settled things pretty quickly.
Worf must be trying to not kill people quite a lot as his success rate there isn't much worse than usual in fights!
And honestly, as much as we laugh at the Galaxy-class for blowing up so often, in the Dominion War battle scenes the Galaxies we saw were basically invincible, while Excelsior- and Miranda-class ships were getting cut in half by a single blow from the bigger Dominion ships. And heck, a handful of Maquis Raiders were able to cripple the Malinche.
Sure, the Galaxy did OK when they got to the battle, but how many crashed into planets, exploded from computer viruses or tripped over their own feet on the carpet to get there?

Those Marquis raiders always seemed a bit too tough for their size anyway, they always seemed to be going toe to toe with much bigger ships far too easily. If the Runabouts had been built that well they wouldn't need the Defiant.
They're really not, though. They're built for science and exploration, yes, but we're not talking about an equivalent to the Oberth- or Nova-class here. Voyager was bigger than a Constitution-class starship and had as many weapons as a Galaxy-class. It probably doesn't have the same endurance as the bigger ships but it's no pushover either.
Wait, it's supposed to be that heavily armed? Jeez, Star Fleet do seem to use "Science" as a euphemism for "Kill everything".

Oddly they do seem to have hugely stepped up ship production before the war anyway. Forty ships is portrayed as a serious loss in the Best of Both Worlds (though Shelby claims they'll have the fleet back up in a year and Redemption is the only story in the meantime where its an issue. They can really knock those bad boys out) but they're losing hundreds at a time during the war.

To one of the authors of the episode, you mean? Or just in general? Because I'm sure stuff like that has happened way more than just once.
Samuel R. Delany, whose novella Nova was initially rejected by the editor the Odo substitute was based on for the not changing the colour of the lead (though he had a happier ending, it simply went to another mag and became a great success). Based on his Wikipedia photo the guy now basically looks like a mad old Sisko.

Everyone in the office bar Dax is a pretty close expy of contemporary writers, O'Brien as Asimov being the most obvious of course.

Oh God, today's episode is "Kira's mother is a skany hoe"...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:Samuel R. Delany, whose novella Nova was initially rejected by the editor the Odo substitute was based on for the not changing the colour of the lead (though he had a happier ending, it simply went to another mag and became a great success). Based on his Wikipedia photo the guy now basically looks like a mad old Sisko.
Ever heard of the EC Comics story "Judgement Day"?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

So what, exactly, is the Intrepid-class(that's what Voyager is. I think. Who names a ship class best known for a Constitution class heavy crusier eaten by a giant space amoeba?) supposed to be?

Conceivably, the 'reflex cannon on a rowboat' idea used for Defiant might be where it came from, which takes Starfleet back to the design ethos used on the Constitution-class heavy cruisers. A ship designed mainly to explore, do research, as well as have the firepower it needs to defend itself/the Federation member worlds. A design that Starfleet went away from when they decided to send their crews and the crew's families out on the Galaxy-class.

But if the Intrepid-class is just an exploration vessel, with one third the crew or so of a Constitution-class, sweet Primus, why all the guns?

Captain: "Hi, we're from the United Fed-"

Alien: "We'll join! Just don't shoot us!"

Or, since I've been playing Star Trek Online, the main reason theIntrepid-class might have all the phaser banks(and the ability to make more photon torpedoes, unless I missed something. Voyager went from carefully hoarding them to flinging them with wild abandon) is one of the things mentioned in some of the ship descriptions. Tougher galaxy needs more guns.

Me, I'll stick with my Kelvin Timeline Constitution.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Warcry wrote:I think that's a good point. There's so much Trek out there now that the bad (or even middling) episodes just sort of fade into the background for me. Hilariously terri-bad stuff, I'll remember, and the bad movies are more memorable just for being movies, but the random terrible episodes of TNG or whatever don't come to mind at all unless someone brings them up.
Or some episodes that are just so bat crap insane like the Voyager 2 parter "The Killing Game" you can't tell if they're good or bad. The plot of this 2 parter is: The Hunters have captured the crew and are using mind control to force them to play deadly hologram games with Klingons and Nazis. We get to see Neelix dressed and act as a Klingon, while Janeway, Seven, Tuvok, and Torres as French resistance fighters, and Chakotay and Paris as American GIs. I think is the first time we hear Seven sing (and IMHO she's a damn good singer and so is Robert Picardo) With the Doctor keeping the crew alive and Kim being forced to turn the ship into a giant holodeck and both of them are trying to free the crew. When they do free the crew then it turns in wild gun fight. Then ends with a wild climax with the crew vs. the Hunters vs. the Klingons vs. the Nazis. While Janeway blows up the holodeck and shoots the leader of the Hunter with a holographic version of a real world rifle.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Speaking of Voyager, I watched the seventh season episode "Shattered" last night, and despite the solution being complete Treknobabble(as was the problem), it was a good episode. Except for the rearing of the ugly head of the Temporal Prime Directive.

I understand the concept behind it, but they handle it so badly. Chakotay not wanting to tell Janeway from 7 years earlier what was going to happen makes sense, in a way(but to stop Seska, he threw it out the window), simply because he couldn't be sure whether or not Janeway would remember what had happened. But at the end, when everything is back to normal, he still won't say what happened. The only piece of info he'd need to be careful with is talking about future I'cheb and Naomi, and even then, I don't think they gave him any actual details.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

inflatable dalek

Into the second season of Voyager now!

Nothing much you can say about it that hasn't been said a lot before. The best episodes are the ones that aren't just TNG season 8. The Kazon are dull as ****, but the ongoing negotiations and conflicts with them bring out the best in the format and Seska is actually a good camp villain (though really they shouldn't be running in to the same Kazon over and over when Voyager is the fastest ship out there).

I think the only episode that was just a TNG script that worked was the Q one, mainly because John de Lancie is such fun, but it also explored a serious issue in a fairly sensible way.

Character wise, why on Earth did they keep Neelix aboard for the whole seven years? He's an appallingly bad character and contributes nothing beyond a joke that the jobs he's supposed to do he's crap at.

Janeway is actually very good, as is the Doctor. Everyone else is either dull, or surprisingly badly acted (I was expecting to like Paris, he's just annoying!).

Also everyone, even the characters that are supposed to be young, feel very middle aged.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Finished Voyager at last. Maybe it's just because I knew what was coming this time around, but Endgame wasn't quite as much of a letdown on the second viewing.

I mean it still is, what with all the plot threads abruptly introduced during the final season just left hanging. I mean, did they just expect the audience to assume what was going to happen, based on what actually happened in the timeline old Janeway ended up erasing?

Still, this leaves me with just one thing left on my shelf to watch; Nemesis.

Oh boy.
Warcry wrote:Actually, a light-skinned Middle-Eastern man being treated as white is not at all out of character for that period. I don't know if it was different in Europe, but on this side of the ocean most people really had no idea about anyone from that part of the world. As long as they didn't dress like Yasser Arafat, have an obviously foreign name or really dark skin, no one would have noticed or cared. In Siddig's case, the English accent and relatively fair skin would have meant that most folks would have just assumed he was a Brit with a tan, especially with a name like "Julius Eaton".
I always thought Bashir was from somewhere in the Indian region, maybe Pakistani at most, which would at least explain the accent.
inflatable dalek

I'm now coming up on the end of season 5 of Voyager.

Phhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhffffs.

More cheerfully, Kirk Thatcher has reprised his role as Punk On Bus (this time, off the bus!) from Star Trek IV in Spider-Man Homecoming:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/therinofa ... 719561741/
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Well, I finally watched Nemesis, and...well, in spite of it's flaws, I no longer think it's definitely worse than Insurrection.

That doesn't mean I think it's better either. I'm just not sure anymore.

I do get the feeling there's a lot of exposition missing so some of the character motives are left unintentionally vague. And what was the point of the whole psychic rape scene anyway?
inflatable dalek

The Rock was in Star Trek Voyager.

The Rock.

He played a wrestler.

IN SPACE.

He sounded like he'd been dubbed by someone else.

They have An Actual Actor play the main SPACE wrestler as obviously no real wrestler could carry a big role.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:The Rock was in Star Trek Voyager.

The Rock.

He played a wrestler.

IN SPACE.

He sounded like he'd been dubbed by someone else.

They have An Actual Actor play the main SPACE wrestler as obviously no real wrestler could carry a big role.
You only just now discovered this?

(also he talks?)

It's kind of weird to consider that this happened before he was in any of those Mummy movies and went from Big to Really Big.

I saw an article a while back saying that before the Watchmen movie, they were talking about making a movie based on Marshall Law - with The Rock playing the title character. They turned him down. And then his salaries went through the roof. Whoops!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Tetsuro wrote:You only just now discovered this?

(also he talks?)

It's kind of weird to consider that this happened before he was in any of those Mummy movies and went from Big to Really Big.

I saw an article a while back saying that before the Watchmen movie, they were talking about making a movie based on Marshall Law - with The Rock playing the title character. They turned him down. And then his salaries went through the roof. Whoops!
He doesn't talk much and speaks so softly that you can barely him with the crowd chanting in the background just like going to a major wrestling event back in the day. Ah good times.

Also he's not the only wrestler to appear in Star Trek, Paul Wright (aka The Big Show) appears as a giant Orion slave master in an episode in season 4 of Star Trek: Enterprise it one of the episodes that were a 3 parter with Brent Spinner and is IMHO is 3 of better episodes of that series despite all the fan service that is in it.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Coincidentally, Enterprise and Beyond are now the only Star Trek productions I have never seen.

I'm still sitting on the idea of importing the Enterprise blu-ray box set because none of my local distributors have decided to pick it up for some reason, only selling the individual seasons - and even then it's only the first two.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Tetsuro wrote:Coincidentally, Enterprise and Beyond are now the only Star Trek productions I have never seen.

I'm still sitting on the idea of importing the Enterprise blu-ray box set because none of my local distributors have decided to pick it up for some reason, only selling the individual seasons - and even then it's only the first two.
See if Star Trek is available on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or similar streaming service in your country. All of the Star Trek shows, in the US, are on both platforms and Amazon has most if not all the movies as their free Prime movies at various times.

Enterprise season 1 is pretty boring. It's not as bad as the first season of TNG it's mostly just boring and bland.

Enterprise season 2 is OK with some good episodes. My favorite episode from this series "Stigma" is in season 2. The finale episode of season 2 is where the Xindi War starts. The Xindi as a concept might be one of the most original races in all of Star Trek maybe even all of sci-fi. It's just how they explain what the Xindi are and how they pull the Xindi off look is a hit-and-miss though.

Star Trek: Enterprise season 3 is the best season. The Xindi War while not as good as the epic Dominion War on DS9 it does the job of some much needed character building for Archer and The Temporal Cold War finally allows the writers out the continuity box and reveal that even die hard Trekkers didn't know everything about the backstory of the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek: Enterprise season 4 is a lot of fun fan service after the third episode which ends the Xindi War and the Temporal Cold War arcs and Archer gets over his PTSD in a unique way. The 3 part story with Brent Spinner is a lot of fun and Spinner gets to play something like an anti-hero which is something he never did as Data, Lore, B-4, or the guy who made them and he's pretty good at it. There is a lot of moral ambiguity to "whole what do we do with the embryos of people like Khan" debate that runs through all 3 episodes.
The 2 part "In a Mirror, Darkly" is the second best Mirror Universe only the TOS episode that introduced it is better, (IMHO one of DS9's weakness was that they beat the Mirror Universe to death by the third one) and Scott Bakula get a chance to play a complete and total ruthless evil bastard and he is quite menacing, it also explains what happens to the Defiant for TOS episode "Tholin's Web" and the while CGI Tholin IMHO still looks pretty good, the CGI Gorn is laughable bad overall it's a lot of stupid fun in these 2 episodes.
"These Are The Voyages..." is the final episode and is a side story to a damn good TNG episode called "Pegasus" while both Sirtis and Frakes looked caked in make up and they still just barely pull that they are the same age when the filmed "Pegasus", (especially Frakes). I do like how Archer and crew look to towards the future for inspiration while Riker and Troi look to them for inspiration and there is also some funny in-jokes. The final shots showing the Enterprise from all 3 shows with Stewart, Shatner, and Bakula all saying a third of the famous motto is just a great ending.

Star Trek: Enterprise is not the best or even the most fun Star Trek TV show (IMHO that would be Star Trek: Deep Space 9 and Star Trek: Voyager respectfully) but once the Xindi War starts in season 3 and showing how the Federation comes to be in season 4, that is where it gets fun and has some of it's best stories and moments. Seasons 1 and 2 are OK, they are not as awful (for the most part) as many believe, it's that the first two seasons feel like they almost ashamed of being a Star Trek TV show and most of the episodes in seasons 1 and 2 are just boring, bland, and forgettable. Now there are some good episodes and a few stinkers here and there, just not enough either way to be great or awful.

IMHO being a prequel is what hurt this series the most because it couldn't escape the continuity and the whole reason why they did The Temporal Cold War was a chance to change the continuity by having a huge event like the Xindi War that killed 7 million people on Earth and left a canyon from Florida to Venezuela and why Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway never seemed to know anything about it. Maybe they should done a hard reboot of the franchise and shouldn't have bothered with it being a prequel. It's a series that tries so hard to be great, but was just being clobbered by other sci-fi shows on at the time like Battlestar Galactia, Babylon 5, Crusade, Stargate SG-1, and Farscape that were more interesting and made Star Trek: Enterprise look old and worn out before the first episode aired. You can't be missed if you never leave and maybe Star Trek as a whole needed a break. That is my 2 cents.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I'm not touching streaming. I've never wanted anything less than physical copies of everything, and even less so after the one time I actually tried renting a movie online, only for the damn thing to not work. Besides, the box set's only like 35 pounds on Amazon.

Also I never bothered with neo-BSG. I didn't even make it through the four episode pilot; I don't know what killed it for me harder, the shakycam or using the "protagonists abandon civilians in slower ships to their deaths" tactic three times in a row.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Tetsuro wrote:I'm not touching streaming. I've never wanted anything less than physical copies of everything, and even less so after the one time I actually tried renting a movie online, only for the damn thing to not work. Besides, the box set's only like 35 pounds on Amazon.

I would buy the complete series and half, since the best parts of it in seasons 3 and 4.

I'm like that too, but streaming is a great way to try TV shows for lot less, I never would tried shows like Farscape and Supergirl I buy a few episodes on my Xbox One and out for 2 bucks for an episode and if like it and see if it's something that I wanted to pay money for the whole series on Blu-Ray.

IMHO Farscape is one of the most criminally under-rated sci-fi shows in the last 20 years especially since The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are basically rip-off of it, good rip-offs though but the characters in the movies feel like the characters from Farscape than the comics I've read with them in it.

The whole series is on Blu-ray and packed with special features and the mini-series conclusion called Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars is on DVD in the US, and it's on Blu-Ray in other countries though.
inflatable dalek

Farscape was one of (possibly the last?) of those US SF shows that was more popular in the UK due to better scheduling on a terrestrial network.

Personally I'd say Voyager and Enterprise aren't worth buying on physical home media. They're almost the perfect shows for streaming really in that watching them once out of curiosity is enough.

Currently watching the Voyager where Kes Comes Back. Such a shame to see the effects of the hard life the actress had after leaving. When she's pretending to be season 1 Kes she barely looks like the same person.

It's another (and there's been a few) of those time travel shows where they try and do an All Good Things and show how much the series has changed over the years but it basically boils down to Janeway having a different haircut.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Am I the only the Trekker who thinks Janeway looked more commanding (and sexy) when she had her cut shorter in the later seasons instead of that stupid looking bun on the top of her head at the start of the series.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Nope. I always thought her hair looked much better in the later seasons.

But then, I do love me some redheads, and have always had a crush of Mrs. Columbo, so I may be biased......

inflatable dalek

Seven of Nine certainly kept her mad passionate love for Chakotay hidden well for four years.