Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Skyquake87
Protoform

Siege Sideswipe

Post by Skyquake87 »

Name : Sideswipe
Allegiance : Autobot

The latest round of 1980s Transformers refresh products has launched in the shape of Siege, which judging by the branding, looks set to roll into another loose trilogy in the vein of the recently concluded Combiner Wars/ Titans Return/ Power Of The Primes. These were some of the most well-received Transformers lines of recent times, offering up an explosion of full on re-imaginings of characters from the franchise, which is what 'the fans' have wanted ever since the Classics line kicked off over 10 years ago. It probably also makes good business sense for Hasbro, having seen a number of bootleggers turn out toys based on their intellectual property. If I'm honest though, whilst it's been great to pick up new versions of characters I like, I can't pretend that the end product has been particularly satisfying. In an era where toys are generally in decline and manufacturing costs are high, it's lead to a lot of flimsy and weak feeling toys that haven't felt worth the effort as corners are clearly cut to keep costs down. Will Siege be any different?

The sell with this line is to keep things centred around the war on Cybertron, the idea being that no-one has anything approaching an Earthen alt-mode (because why would you?), although the familiar silhouettes have been retained. Whilst Sideswipe and Hound immediately caught my eye, as they looked very very good, I don't know how much longer Hasbro can keep recycling the same old core 1980s characters. Each of the figures comes in an annoying wedge shaped box with some nice design and art work on the go. No bios though, just the briefest cross-sell with other products from the line (the disappointingly expensive new Targetmasters, in this case).

Robot mode: Out of the box, Sideswipe stands about 5” tall and represents a further shrinkage in the Deluxe size class back to the days of the original RID line. This is no bad thing, as the smaller size seems to have meant the design and engineering is tidied up, and there's a lot less of the hollowness and very little honeycombing on show. This is good. It means Sideswipe feels tough and dense and a quality piece of work. The sculpting is clean and very well done and there's a good balance of different coloured plastics and paint to bring the guy to life. The figure takes his design cues straight from the 1980s toy and is the epitome of 'geewun with knees'. He is essentially what I think most people expect from the whole CHUG ethos – just a very well done update of a classic character. His rifle being able to split in two to give you a pistol and shoulder cannon is a nice touch too.

Alternate Mode: I like what Hasbro have done here, keeping a recognisable alternate mode but tweaking it just a little to make it look alien. It's very smart and looks excellent. The space Lamborghini is very swish and sporty looking. It feels very compact and isn't wanting for paint apps. The rims are nicely done in silver and the headlights have been painted up. The clear smoked canopy looks excellent and I like the shimmery gunmetal on the engine intakes. Sadly, the thing doesn't roll at all. There's just not enough clearance for the wheels to reach the ground, so he kinds of rests on all the tucked up robo-junk underneath.

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation design: The figure takes the familiar bonnet chested robot to car transformation but just adds in some nice touches to tidy up areas like the knees and abdomen. Everything tucks away cleanly and easily and it's a fun process. The only major failing is to not give the wheels suitable clearance, leaving the alt-mode something nice to look at, but can't really be played with. This is a shame as it takes away from the whole premise of having a '2 in 1' toy. 5/10

Durability: Sideswipe feels nice and solid and a quality bit of kit. Nothing feels like it's going to break or warp. 10/10

Fun: As an action figure, Sideswipe is fantastic. He looks good, poses well and has a design that's aged very well. Just a shame about the vehicle mode. 7/10

Aesthetics: A polished and well executed update of the 1980s toy, Sideswipe does look the business. The Siege line has come in for some criticism for its Warhammer style 'battle damage' paint effects. Sideswipe keeps this to a minimum with just some nice looking dry brushing on his robot mode shins. 10/10

Articulation: Pretty much standard for a Deluxe toy these days. He does have some slight movement in his neck, thanks to a transformation joint which allows him to look up. There's crazy movement in the arms, especially around the shoulders and biceps. He has a waist swivel, and good hip and knee joints. There's no wrist or ankle joints, but he doesn't miss them. 8/10

Value/ Price: I paid £19.99 for Sideswipe through IDToys, which seems to be the standard online price for new Deluxe Transformers. Might be worth holding out to see what the regular RRP will be, as I suspect it may be more around the £16 - £17 mark. I'm happy with the price I paid though as Sideswipe hasn't disappointed and is a quality piece of work 9/10

Overall: Is there a Transformer more vanilla than Sideswipe? He's a solid enough character with a string of decent toys, but never seems to get the pulse racing. In terms of his toys, he's always outshone by his mold-mate Red Alert or by his own sexy Generation 2 repaint, both of whom have much more interesting decos. This version goes some way to put him front and centre and is probably the best modern version of Sideswipe we've had. Despite the flaws with the alt mode, he's well worth your time and money. 8/10
Attachments
Siege Sideswipe 009 (800x600).jpg
Siege Sideswipe 009 (800x600).jpg (251.25 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Siege Sideswipe 008 (800x600).jpg
Siege Sideswipe 008 (800x600).jpg (241.52 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Siege Sideswipe 006 (600x800).jpg
Siege Sideswipe 006 (600x800).jpg (255.65 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Siege Sideswipe 005 (800x600).jpg
Siege Sideswipe 005 (800x600).jpg (250.41 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Siege Sideswipe

Post by Skyquake87 »

Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Pictures! Finally. After I could work out my Photobucket password...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:37 pm Pictures! Finally. After I could work out my Photobucket password...
I'm not seeing them. :( Even if I click the link nothing comes up.
Skyquake87 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:20 pmIn terms of his toys, he's always outshone by his mold-mate Red Alert or by his own sexy Generation 2 repaint, both of whom have much more interesting decos.
This was my exact thought process when I saw Sideswipe in stores. "Looks nice, but I'll wait for one of the cooler colour schemes." I'm thinking I'll probably snag a Red Alert and use him alongside the older Universe Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, since Red is usually drawn shorter and stockier than Sideswipe in spite of being the same toy.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Bugger. They show for me. So I've no idea... I've probably got something wrong!

I'm happy enough with Sideswipe not to bother with Red Alert, although I do like that the light bar turns into an axe thing!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 pm This was my exact thought process when I saw Sideswipe in stores. "Looks nice, but I'll wait for one of the cooler colour schemes."
G2 black and accessories would be cool, but very impressed with the regular TBH -- it's the first time in a while that the paint/plastic finish on figures hasn't felt noticeably cheap. Updated alt mode is a bit more interesting than the usual cars too.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:43 pmBugger. They show for me. So I've no idea... I've probably got something wrong!
Well, you did use Photobucket... :glance:

Ever since they did that, it seems like sometimes links work and sometimes they just won't.
Skyquake87 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:43 pmI'm happy enough with Sideswipe not to bother with Red Alert, although I do like that the light bar turns into an axe thing!
It's also a gun, I think, which is pretty neat. But it looks like he doesn't come with the obligatory shoulder cannon, which is pretty crappy. For the price they're asking you'd think these guys would come with more accessories.
Denyer wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 pmG2 black and accessories would be cool, but very impressed with the regular TBH -- it's the first time in a while that the paint/plastic finish on figures hasn't felt noticeably cheap. Updated alt mode is a bit more interesting than the usual cars too.
I had the black one as a kid, so red Sideswipe just looks wrong to me TBH. It's a nice figure but not at all what I see in my head when I think of the character.

I think I read somewhere that Sideswipe's red is mostly painted. Is that right?

It sounds like he's the best-received of the new line and it's too bad that the improved build quality doesn't seem to be universal -- Flywheels for example feels as cheap as some of the worst Prime Wars-era figures I own.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I think so, it does have a painty feel. Him and Hound are both quality pieces of work. Flywheels, less so, but he still feels and looks sharper than Prime and Megatron, IMO (although those two are brilliant fun).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, I think it's paint but a lot of it seem to be over the red plastic colour also used for the missile -- gives a great finish. If Hound is similar will enjoy unboxing and adding to Wreckers (might use the CW one for a custom...)

Considering the mould work I think Flywheels pulls it off, doesn't feel particularly cheap to me.