OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Re: Official Transformers new/upcoming releases! Hasbro, TakaraTomy and more

Post by Denyer »

Assume retailers, they've fixed it, or both. Do they take payment when it closes, or at pledge? If not the latter (and they admit and adjust for payments bouncing) would expect the final total to be a lot less.

Might be sold on Scorponok, but if the price hike on things such as the Seacons is anything to go by it'll probably be a pass.

At least parity with the size of the Autobot counterpart is in keeping with the "values" of the original toyline, even if it didn't work out that way. Whereas a city bot sized Omega or Devastator clashed, personally -- suppose those would work with the rapidly merging Siege Deluxe/Voyager/Leader sizing.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm quite excited for Titan Scorponok. Him and Trypticon are the only Titans I'm interested in. Hopefully this time around, Scorponok will have a head that's in proportion with the rest of his body. That pea-head the original had always looked rubbish.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Mixmaster pics, and Devvy's face gonna be reeeeeeed. :)

Also, after digging around for pictures of the prototype that was showed a ~year ago, the final toys are a bit different. Like in this picture, look at the left arm:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ecDpNAq2dMjQG1hQA

Hightower's hook/claw/head/thumb isn't there, but another shovel is. Also, there seems to be a static piece for the cabling on the crane arm. And actually, I can't make out Hightower in that pic at all, really. Same with the concept digi-bash: https://images.app.goo.gl/7XLteoZBYhMuhN9L6

Maybe the two leader figures will have bits and bobs packaged with them? Of course, the more I look at the gray prototype, the more I think it doesn't actually transform at all, and is just a concept/blocking mock-up.

ALSO also, I'm gonna say now that Overload turns into the lower torso asymmetrically, unlike his Legends-class counterpart.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Woo Movie Constructicons!!! I love these. They're all so ugly and weird. I like that Devastator's head is hiding away in Mixmaster's cab :) Man, these just make me want to hunt down the old ROTF toys as well...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Aye, that's what I like about the movie constructicons and devastator. The designers went absolutely bonkers with them and leaned way into the whole "alien shapeshifters don't really need to default to a human body type, so why should they?" They've dialed it back in the other direction since (probably wisely), but I think the monstrousness of the individual constructicons balances well with the comprehensible gorilla-esque design of devastator. They make a great ensemble, is what I'm saying.

In other news, a listing of upcoming takara studio series figures has voyagers scrapper (that we knew about) and sentinel prime, along with a deluxe jeep bumblebee and dotm roadbuster.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Clay wrote: ALSO also, I'm gonna say now that Overload turns into the lower torso asymmetrically, unlike his Legends-class counterpart.
Well, I'm completely wrong about that. New pics of Devastator with the actual figures (with prototypes of scrapper and overload in blue plastic) here, albeit woefully mistransformed as normal: https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/25/tra ... lay-399136

Overload seems to make up the front half of the torso with scavenger as the back half, instead of top and bottom division like the legends figures. Also, the arm guys apparently just make the forearms, and the leg guys just make the feet and ankles, really. This thing is huge.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm onboard for putting Studio Series Devy together. I like Hightower and Long Haul that I've managed to pick up and I like that the designers have thought that to make Devastator match the hulking thing on screen, you'll need some extra dudes to bulk him out. I think its a very clever jumble of figures they've put together here. Good job!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Apparently we're getting a masterpiece Raiden: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... ing/44268/

To save some googling, Raiden is the train combiner from Headmasters, which was actually a Diaclone figure complementing the likes of Devastator. It wasn't incorporated into the Transformers line before then because the United States doesn't have trains or somesuch, so Takara finally got to add it in the first Japan-only series, Headmasters, which is apropos because that show's a train wreck.

Neat. Kind of left field, but apparently it's being made in conjunction with some other event. The other thought I had is that if they'll make MP G1 Megatron a handgun, irrespective of its marketability outside of Japan, a masterpiece train set is probably feasible too. I doubt Raiden has the broader appeal or recognition of Megatron, but it's something that might do well in Takara's domestic market.
Hound

Post by Hound »

MP Raiden! Gettin' it!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The One Step Changers do look decent - Whirl in particular. I really like the Cyberverse designs (as I did the RID2015 ones) and have been underwhelmed by the toys. They just look horrible and cheap. Boo.

MP Raiden is a surprise. Although I'd be more interested in an Encore reissue.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Masterpiece Raiden now confirmed.

No release date/ETA yet. This will be the first combiner in the masterpiece line, I think.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Raiden sounds super cool, but I can't even imagine how big an MP combiner will be.

Some new Earthrise listings popped up recently. No pictures as of yet. https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/12/28/new ... ore-403042

Nothing super unexpected, which feels funny to say in and of itself. What kind of awesome world do we live in now, where Fasttrack and Snapdragon felt inevitable? Most of the other new stuff felt like likely redecos of first-wave stuff...Sunstreaker from Wheeljack, Trailbreaker from Hoist, a Battlecharger from Cliffjumper, and probably one of the two Astro Squad ground vehicles redecoed from Direct-Hit and Power Punch... Even a Leader-class Doubledealer feels almost expected, given how the last couple lines' Leaders have worked. Which isn't to say that they're not welcome.

The only thing that really feels out of left field anymore is the Quintesson. I'm curious to see how they plan to make a giant egg with faces on it feel like it's worth a Voyager price tag.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Had forgotten Scorponok had been confirmed... https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... oon/44202/

Probably pass. Would be more interested in a pre-Siege leader class one.

Snapdragon, Runamuck, Astro Squad (hopefully another MM combiner, either the rocket or radar one would be cool) definitely interested. Probably okay with the (3P rocket upgraded) Doubledealer that was already released -- particularly as it'll be a voyager with extra bits that aren't worth it, if trends continue.

This is weird... neat idea for kids though...
https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/12/26/tra ... 972#images
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:25 pm Probably pass. Would be more interested in a pre-Siege leader class one.
Agreed. Even though he's one of my favourite Marvel characters, a Scorponok that can't fistfight Shockwave doesn't hold much appeal. I completely get why they want to make him a Titan, but a TR Leader with the helmet gimmick would have been the best way to make the character as I visualize him.
Denyer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:25 pmProbably okay with the (3P rocket upgraded) Doubledealer that was already released -- particularly as it'll be a voyager with extra bits that aren't worth it, if trends continue.
I actually think that Doubledealer is one of the few characters that could actually fit as a Siege-style "Leader". If they do it right, anyway...a Prime-sized robot plus a big-ass ICBM accessory that turns into a bunch of weapons, with a bit of plastic left over to make Knok and Skar? I think they could pull that off. I'd be more worried about whether or not he'd be a decent Triplechanger.

Though the character doesn't really appeal to me much either way. I'd be more excited by the prospects of a Selects Stalker retool than anything.
Denyer wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:25 pm This is weird... neat idea for kids though...
https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/12/26/tra ... 972#images
They seem to be pushing the Quints a bit this year. I wonder if that means they'll be a big part of the next season of Cyberverse?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:14 pm Agreed. Even though he's one of my favourite Marvel characters, a Scorponok that can't fistfight Shockwave doesn't hold much appeal. I completely get why they want to make him a Titan, but a TR Leader with the helmet gimmick would have been the best way to make the character as I visualize him.

Does he need to be even that big? In one of the Japanese Legends comics, they repurposed Doublecross/Twinferno into Black Zarak. Looking at the toy, you'd only need to swap the wings with legs, the dragon heads with claws, and re-jigger the robot legs a bit to make a deluxe Scorponok. Teasing a deluxe Fort Max out of an existing Titan Returns headmaster would be even easier considering all he really does is raise his arms in the air and lay on his belly.

They could sell them as a two pack through Generations Selects. And, given that they've made new Powerdashers of all things, I wouldn't rule it out.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Ideally I'd like Scorponok to be a big bruiser, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a figure that reminded me of the Marvel version of the character at any reasonably playable size class.

My favourite thing about a Deluxe Scorponok or Black Zarak would be turning one into Action Master Elite Double Punch, though. :)
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Yay Snapdragon!I'm very excited for him as he was a favourite in days of yore. Also Scorponok. Because what's not to love with a giant robot scorpion?
Clay

Post by Clay »

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/01/01/new ... rse-403183

More new listings (studio blitzwing and skipjack) mixed in with some we've before (like Snapdragon).

I'm guessing Skipjack = yellow Rampage for Devastator's leg. I just hope he's in the wave with or after Scrapper, not before. Also, I'd guess that we'll get Demolishor (white Scavenger) as a general release early 2021, given the space between Rampage and Skipjack. All the other constructicons have the same decos individually and as components of devastator.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

"Ultra Skull Cruncher" sounds kind of interesting. :up: