Protoform

Power Of The Primes Blot

Post by Skyquake87 »

Name: Blot
Allegiance: Deceoticon
Sub Group: Terrorcons
Function: Foot Soldier

”I'm not as bad as I look – I'm worse!”

Bio: The most disgusting of all Transformers. Wherever he goes, he leaves a trail of foul-smelling lubricant which oozes from several different joints at any given moment. Dumb, brutish but loyal. In creature mode, claws allow him to climb any wall. Breathes fire in robot or creature modes, uses slime gun to shoot a stream of corrosive liquid. Combines with fellow Terrorcons to form Abominus.

Blot is the equivalent of the smelly kid at school no-one likes. He's a dirty, smelly wretch of a creature and somewhat endearing because of it. Makes me want to give him a good bath and sort out his joints and lines, as it sounds like he's just a mess through not looking after himself. I hadn't read his bio for some years, so I was surprised to see the old trope of breathing fire in monster mode is carried over into his robot mode, That's pretty cool. As was his appearance in Time Wars, jumping through a building to terrify some humans. Although I don't know what was more terrifying – his physical presence or the smell.

Robot Mode: In robot mode, Blot is a grumpy looking fellow. His facial expression is straight out of a piece of Yaniger artwork, this sort of muppet mouth chasm that splits his face in two. It's brilliant and marks out his character straightaway. He's a lot trimmer than his old 1980s toy, which is nice, so he's much better proportioned and I like the balance between the lilac and dark blue. As with the other Terrorcons, the paint apps faithfully recreate his old label sheet which I think is a nice touch. Another nice bit of modernising is the claw blades on either forearm. A nice bit of detailing which makes a figure memorable. Good stuff!

Alternate Mode: Blot is another Transformer where the Generations make over has really helped bring the original concept to life. His monster mode is no longer a walking nose, but a fantastic looking critter – all scowls and clawed hands and feet. It's fantastic and whilst Sinnertwin remains my favourite of the group, the swaggering improvement made to Blot has him a very close second. He looks fantastic.

Marks Out Of Ten For The Following :

Transformation Design: Blot's transformation is incredibly basic. For his transformation to alt mode, he is just his robot mode all scrunched up into a box. I do like how the robot mode hands retract to reveal a third claw to give the monster mode a decent set of useful digits. That's nice. The rest is just standard Combiner Wars fare. 6/10

Durability: Blot feels decent, but again either the materials or construction conspire to make him feel very loose. The robot mode legs don't like to stay connected in limb mode and his hand/foot/armour piece doesn't like to stay in it's socket. 6/10

Articulation: The usual Deluxe class fare. Movement at the shoulders and elbows, head can move about but not look up and down too far. Legs are decently posable, thanks to hip and thigh cuts, as well as knees. There's also waist rotation, thanks to the transformation. 7/10

Fun: Blot is packed full of character in both modes, so makes an excellent figure to mess about with. He's let down by not pegging together very well in monster mode, and the Prime armour is a fail. I wish it wouldn't fall out it's socket when he's being used as a limb. That sort of thing ruins the figure moreso than his inherent looseness. 7/10

Price/Value: £15.99 doesn't honestly feel like a good deal when the design work and intent is let down by whatever happened during the manufacturing process. It's a real shame, as with denser plastics and stronger eye on quality control, Blot could have been a winner. 5/10

Overall: A colourful robot with a lot of personality and a fun alternate mode, Blot is a good toy. It's just too loose overall which spoils him. It's a shame, because I really like the figure and the character but just feel he's a bit of a let down. 6/10
Attachments
POTP Blot 01 (480x640).jpg
POTP Blot 01 (480x640).jpg (173.1 KiB) Viewed 37287 times
POTP Blot 02 (480x640).jpg
POTP Blot 02 (480x640).jpg (170.53 KiB) Viewed 37287 times