POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Tantrum
Articles: 0
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Tantrum »

LEGO 10302 Optimus Prime - I haven't opened this guy yet. He just came out today, and the shelf at the LEGO Store in Providence was already down to just 2. US$170 for 1,508 pieces is a bit higher than average. But, the LEGO Store was running a promotion so I got a couple small sets totaling 373 pieces thrown in free. Unfortunately, they were out of the Back to the Future car, but said they'd be getting more.

I've opened some of the other stuff I recently got. SS Brawn, Wheeljack, and Ratchet are quite nice. There's quite a bit of painted clear plastic, especially in Wheeljack, which has a reputation for being fragile. But, all 3 of these guys seem solid so far.

All 12 wheels are clip ons that actually roll well. The gaps in the pegs in Brawn's front wheels are used as slots to tab the vehicle mode together, which both covers the gaps and is quite clever. Wheeljack's alt mode reminds me of a very stylized version of his G1 Cybertronian mode, with the windshield far up front, and a spoiler that bends a bit down the sides. But, the resemblance isn't strong enough that I could argue it to someone who doesn't see it.

Ratchet's the only one with limb hollowness. He's also the only one with full articulation. Wheeljack lacks ankle tilts due to transformation. Brawn lacks upper arm swivels for no discernible reason.

These guys are too small to fully justify the $25 asking price, especially Wheeljack. Brawn is smaller than Wheeljack, but he's supposed to be small. If Wheeljack were Ratchet sized, and Ratchet a bit bigger than that, these'd feel like a good value at normal retail. I got them for under $19 each, so I don't feel ripped off.

Windblade Model Kit - I had a harder time building this than other Flame Toys kits, which I've had a harder time with in general than similarly sized Gundam figs. But, the result was worth it. This has a much better face sculpt than my other Windblade figures. She doesn't transform, but her T30 and Cyberverse toy jet modes aren't that great. I didn't bother with most of the stickers since they're very tiny, and putting them on wrong tends to look worse than not putting them on at all.

Selects Artfire & NIghtstick - Of all the G1-with-knees molds I own, this is the G1-with-kneesiest. The Earthrise Datsun does the arms differently, folding them into the sides of the car rather than under the hood. This guy's only real difference from the original is folding the arms together instead of leaving a gap. I'm glad I got the Artfire deco, since the Inferno or Grapple decos would've seemed redundant with my G1 reissues.

The extra accessories are nice. Hotlink's rifle and weapon hand mean he doesn't have a hand free for Nightstick, so I gave him to Cyclonus. Scourge has one of Hotlink's guys. I usually just give blast effects to Mircomasters, but Nightstick looks pretty good with his, so he keeps them. One of the other blast effects is with Artfire's headcannon, the final is with the Micromaster fire engine.

My only issue is that he doesn't roll well. Maybe his legs touch the ground? I don't know if that's a flaw in the design or if I'm doing something wrong.
Shebakoby
Protoform
Custom Title: From the Before Times

Post by Shebakoby »

just got me a Legacy kickback!
Beware of Troy McClure!
Denyer
Articles: 3

Post by Denyer »

The Wei Jiang or Takongzhans Kubian CoolBecomeBrave KO of Combiner Wars Firefly/Fireflight because the originals are thin on the ground now and I didn't want to disassemble Superion, plus I was curious whether the quality of their other KOs was maintained in the straight bootlegs. To go with Legacy Dragstrip for reasons that'll be obvious to UK-based cereal eaters.

It's not bad. The plastic feels subtly different and there's a little paint slop in places, but with some labels and a dab or two of putty in the hip joint sockets (plus the correct gun, I assume the seller had mixed them up at some point as the individual release seems to have the correct one). The red plastic is the correct colour rather than the darker semi-translucent and waxy finish stuff you get on cheaper toys, RTS WIndcharger, etc.

The original mould/design is a little lacking... narrow waist and in the same red as the back so it's almost as if the torso is hovering in mid-air.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Warcry wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:56 am
Transmetal II Iguanus...
Nice. I still have this and like it a wee bit more than the Universe version (if only because parts of the frill on the TM2 don't pop off all the time), if I'm honest. I love the sculpt on this one. He's asymmetric without totally going mental with it. Love the eye patch and toothy face in robot mode.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Agreed on all counts -- Reptilion might be prettier but Iguanus is way more fun to handle because his frill isn't constantly falling off. The face sculpt is neat but I don't think it really jumps out on this one...from any distance at all it just looks like a big bloody maw full of teeth, though that's something I can appreciate too.

I got a couple more new arrivals yesterday.

Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megatron

Clay reminded me a couple months ago that I wanted to track one of these down. The colours are fantastic and I love the idea of the super serious, growly TF: Prime Megatron cosplaying as a Sharkticon for no particularly good reason. This figure is a great example of how much of a difference a neat repaint can make. It's not a particularly good toy honestly, and if I'd bought the show accurate colour scheme I'd be down on it for having poor articulation, super weak hip joints and a transformation that doesn't try very hard. But it looks so cool standing there with its ridiculous fishgunspear that those things don't bother me too much.

Beast Hunters Skylynx

Seriously, why did I ignore this line when it came out? There are so many cool Beast Hunters toys! Skylynx is a redeco of Skystalker, who I already own. I love the colours -- because they're basically the colours of my local hockey team -- but they look a little weird on a dragon. They work really well in robot mode, though.

The giant wings make this a very top-heavy figure, and my Skystalker is a wobbly mess from the waist down, so cool poses aren't a thing that happen with him. I was happy to find that Skylynx's waist, legs and hips are a lot more stable. You still need to use the tail creatively in robot mode to do much with him, but I feel like I'm getting a lot more mileage out of Skylynx than I ever did from his floppy brother. He's good fun.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I really enjoyed putting together a collection of Beast Hunters figures (all sold now). They're such mad colourful things that look like some forgotten '90s toyline. Probably the last time Hasbro went mental with paint apps and different coloured plastics too.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Skids, Prime Arcee, Kickback, Dragstrip, Prime Bulkhead - All bought from Myer with 40% off.

G2 Laser Rod Optimus Prime - From Big W's Toy Sale.

DK-2 - From EB Games.