POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Heinrad »

Rattrap and Dinobot stood there, looking up.

"So.... whaddayou say you are again?"

"Why should I tell you?" The voice was harsh sounding, but familiar.

Dinobot cocked an eyebrow as he stared at the silver/chrome emblems on the shoulders of the being before them. "Because despite your appearance, I do not believe you are who you look like."

"That should have been obvious."

"I dunno. I mean, when's th' last time Optimus Prime went all black an' teal?"

"Because I am NOT Optimus Prime. I am-"

Rattrap looked at his commlink. "You sure? Th' IMDB people say you got th' same-"

"SHUT UP!!!!"

Transformers Legacy Somethingsomething Velocitron Robots in Disguise 2000 Universe Scourge: Or, as I know him, Black Battle Convoy. Why they didn't just call him Black Convoy, Battle Convoy, Dark Convoy, etc, I have no clue, but I do like the figure. If for no other reason than the head actually move around on the ball joint. It gives the figure so much more character.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Core Hot Rod.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legacy Amazon Wreckers Whatever-It's-Called Leadfoot and Masterdominus

I had Leadfoot as a kid, so he's obviously MY GUY. The original toy had a fun gimmick but it was actually pretty terrible. This is pretty much everything you could hope for in a revisit. It captures the look of the original quite well. The base figure (Siege Mirage, by way of the earth-mode retool from a previous exclusive) has much more...heroic-looking proportions in robot mode, but it still looks very much like Leadfoot. The car mode is equally spot on. I'm not sure what they could have done better here, other than replacing his missile with a propeller. The figure itself is quite good on its own merits too. Nice and poseable, and the transformation is fun. The chest, as I mentioned before, is fake...but it barely looks like a race car's front end, and Leadfoot isn't supposed to have one on his chest anyway, so it works for the character. In fact, this toy basically transforms...just like G2 Leadfoot? The sides of the car become the legs, the rear end unfolds into the arms, the mid-section becomes his chest and the car's front end just kinda folds away somewhere and hopes you don't notice it. To be honest, this is toy seems to make more sense as Leadfoot than it ever did as Mirage.

The real star of the set may actually be the elephant bones, though! "Masterdominus" has the stupidest name I've probably ever heard, but he improves on Ractonite in basically every way: better colours, a more dynamic beast mode, more solid construction and really cool new parts. Those new parts can be configured into actual, proper hands in robot mode too, which addresses the mold's biggest, most glaring flaw. Well, proper hands by Beast Wars standards anyway.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

More stuff, courtesy of a local vintage toy shop!

Beast Hunters Grimwing

I've been keeping my eye open for this guy since I grabbed the Deluxe BH dragons a last year. He follows the same pattern as most of the others: an amazing beast mode; a cool weapon gimmick; a "stand the animal up and switch heads" transformation, with a couple extra wrinkles to add variety; and a robot mode that's just a tiny bit less cool than it looks in pictures. The sculpting is great all around, but especially on the beast mode head. The wiki tells me that he's an ursagryph, but honestly I don't think that comes across in the sculpt very well. The bird-themed parts are obvious but nothing at all about the toy says "bear" to me. It makes me wonder if any of the other BH beasts were meant to be specific things, but wound up landing on "generic dragon" because of the line's aesthetics.

I wish the wings had more articulation, I wish the robot chest snapped together better and I wish the legs worked a bit better in robot mode. But I love the look of the thing, especially in beast mode. And the grumpy bird Targetmaster that he comes with is adorable. A pretty solid effort, honestly. I'm glad I found one.

Cybertron Wreckloose

I talk a lot about how much I like Energon, but I have a lot of time for Cybertron as well. Having characters from five or six different planets forced them to experiment with a lot of different looks. The Beast Planet toys understandably borrow a lot from the Beast Era design ethos. Wreckloose has a wacky random accessory (an antler-helmet?) and his robot mode and transformation wouldn't be out of place alongside the Basic-sized Beast Machines Maximals. He's an incredibly unique figure, and engaging because of his weirdness even though the figure isn't without its flaws. I'm quite taken with it.

He came carded, and I'd forgotten just how much I adored the Cybertron packaging. It's super eye-catching! So is the fold-out product catalogue, which really drives home how creative and diverse the line's designs got.

Cybertron Backstop

And then there's this guy, who pretty obviously takes inspiration from Beast Wars Neo's transformations. Now obviously I've been around the block a few times. I know what the dude looks like. I was collecting when Cybertron was new, I know what people think of Backstop. And even if I didn't, the fact that the store had eight of the ugly buggers would have given me a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into. And I was still blown away by how godawful this thing is. I think it might actually be worse than Guiledart. It's such a mess, it actually feels like an accomplishment, in a perverse sort of way.

My son enjoys the spring-loaded rhino horn gimmick though, so there's that I guess?

Cybertron Scrapmetal

I don't remember being aware of this guy at all, back in the day. If I was, I can't imagine why I didn't end up buying one. I was broke as hell in 2005/6, but I 100% would have found ten bucks for a Scout-sized spider walker if I'd seen this in stores. The shop actually had both red and yellow varieties. I found the yellow way more eye-catching. The transformation is exactly what you'd think it would be, but the engineering to turn the torso into the body of the walker was more creative than I'd expected. My copy is missing his cyber key, but you don't really need one to flip his sword out (and I have two other Cybertron toys with their respective keys sitting on my desk, so...)
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I bought Cyberverse Snarl and Studio Series Slidge today. I also saw SS Bee Movie Ironhide and Arcee, who I was looking for. But neither of them looked good in person, so I skipped them.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

RID 2001 Landfill (Build Team boxset) - Won an auction on eBay.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Diaclone Universe Burn Out
This is a fun boxy robot/car. The robot mode proportions are a bit off - huge dumpy legs, massive car chest and chunky, but small arms - but the figure carries it off well. Definitely one of those that's better in hand than in pictures. I like the Diaclone homages, so this one scratches that itch. Vehicle mode is cute, but doesn't roll well. I'd have happily forgone the budget spent on a translucent energon axe to have given us a change to the shoulder design and pinned wheels all around.

Legacy Kickback
I really was going to pass on much of Legacy, but Kickback looked so nice. The robot mode is fantastic and the insect mode is neat too. The simplicity of the design has meant there's been some budget left to chuck in some ridiculous purple wibbly bits which can be held as unconvincing swords or pegged into the arms as some sort of swooshy blade things. They look kind of nice making an abodmen for the beast mode, but I could have lived without them. Props for coming up with a little panel that covers the robot face in grasshopper mode.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 70 Transformers Bumblebee B-127
Quite surprised to find any Buzzworthy stuff at retail, and this looked pretty awesome. He's tiny in robot mode, but really nicely detailed. Like all Studio Series Bumblebee toys, much of the alt-mode is pretzeled up on his back and it's just a case of folding the alt-mode out over a scrunched up robot. The resulting Cybertronian alt mode is nice and sleek and unlike every other Studio Series Bumblebee I've owned, this all fits together sunglly and properly clips into place. Wheels are shite though. More mushroom peg horrorshows that don't roll. I know this probably keeps costs down, but it's still bloody awful and has ruined pretty much every vehicular Transformer over the last 3 years. Bunch of arse.

Legacy Shockwave
Really nice-ish Core Class version of Shockers. Turns into that flying whatever it is the Siege one does. Has a post that can fold down to make him a gun for larger robots. Comes with a bit radar dish accessory, which makes no sense and looks awkward held in robot mode. Robot mode has very hollow legs and very loose knees, so can't support his own weight and falls over all the time.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Being very selective with Legacy and seeing as In Demand had some and got a restock, I picked up the Walgreens Legacy Minerva to complete the Headmaster Juniors. The Hosehead is an original junker with the Nightbeat titanmaster painted red and black, Siren is a slightly repainted TR Getaway and Nightbeat is some selected 3P bits on the Thrilling Thirty one.

I've got the Decepticon three done with TR heads too (and loads of missing pieces, just to have the robot modes). But that's less interesting so a pic will have to wait until I'm not disturbing the cat. edit: Added.

https://i.imgur.com/vFku3Vu.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/FNSun90.jpeg
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Also gave up trying to find a CW Air Raid for a reasonable price and got a KO set of Aerialbots (with Alpha Bravo rather than the later Slingshot substitute) to fill in a set of figures that update some childhood favourites. The CoolBecomeBrave ones are great quality and still quite easy to find... I was impressed that an entire set that was ten quid less than the average (as well as a lot cheaper than the genuine single figure) arrived very carefully packed. I suspect the MP BB is also a KO (although not listed as such) as it was very cheap and came with the G1 toy style faceplate included.

The Super7 He-Man has an abysmal head sculpt but with some replacement accessories makes a fun desk toy with the waist swivel... I might bother to do some washes on an Origins original style head instead at some point as I'd already cracked the "Robot He-Man" head off another one to make Filmation Faker, so I know it can be done fairly easily although the heads aren't on pegs. The Cheetara has a similarly medicated face sculpt but from one or two angles doesn't look like Marla from Fight Club cosplaying.

https://i.imgur.com/SWFTlvD.jpeg
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Decepticon Wild Rider - Bought from Amazon AU.

Toy Colours Cyclonus w/ Nightstick, FOC Skywarp, Thundercracker, Impactor, Twintwist, Autobot Topspin, Roadbuster, Autobot Whirl - From the TCCA forwarding service JMart.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

(The Other) Cybertron Scrapmetal

I liked the yellow one I got last month so much that I went and snagged the red one as well. Still a neat little toy. The robot mode is a bit bland compared to the yellow, but I think I like the red one's walker mode a bit better.

Thankfully no one was selling the blue one on eBay when I checked. Hopefully the urge will pass before that changes. :lol:

Cybertron Snarl

I've had my eyes on this guy for a while. The mold's a bit dated, but in a charming sort of way. The aesthetics are nice, the transformation surprised me, and the gimmicks are fun. I especially like how the tail becomes both a gun and a sword. That one joint at the base really adds a lot in both modes. It could use an extra joint or two, especially in beast mode, but pretty poseable for its day. The colour scheme and paint apps are nice, though I wish there was a bit more colour on the robot head. The Tigatron/Silverbolt style "muzzle" face is hard to spot when it's all pearly white.

Legacy Drag Strip

I was on the fence about buying this, but spite pushed me over the edge! I found one that another collector had hidden among the stuffed animals to make sure that no one else could buy "their" toy before they came back for it. So I figured, why not?

By today's standards it's a pretty good toy. Tons of articulation and cartoon-accurate colours, which seem to be all that matter anymore. Thankfully the sculpt isn't show accurate. There's a whole lot more going on than that. I know some folks don't like the shoulder kibble, but I feel like that's what gives the toy most of its personality. Having the toy in hand, I can see why Hasbro insisted on adding a secondary colour to the palate for their previous stabs at the character. But on the other hand, being SO yellow really makes the figure stand out in a lineup of more normal colour schemes. Makes me want to put together an Earthforce gang for him to hang out with, or something.

The thing that impresses me most is that if I didn't know the toy was part of a combiner, I wouldn't be able to tell from handling it. Most of the Combiner Wars toys felt really compromised by having to be three things at once, but this is a fully realized figure in its own right, and the concessions to the gimmick are pretty much nonexistent. I guess that's a benefit of them deciding to go for the really weird cartoon-style Menasor look, but Dead End and Wildrider both still look horribly flawed. Drag Strip here is a solid hit though.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Even seated, the figure seemed to loom. Looming over the guards flanking his throne, looming over the dais the throne was mounted on.

And more importantly, looming over the battered, kneeling forms of Optimus Prime and Grimlock, the latter being held down by more guards.

"Relics. That was you two are. Autobot? Decepticons? These are antiquated, outmoded concepts. Your insignifigant war has been left in the past-"

"YA GOT THAT RIGHT, SLAGHEAD!!"

"Be QUIET, Vermin!"

"Whaddaya mean, 'Be Quiet'? He's right. Th' war is ova. 'Bots won, 'Cons lost. It's history. We all know that."

"WHO DARES INTERRUPT ME???"

"Yeah, that'd be us." Rattrap walked out into the open, deftly avoiding the grabbing hands of Dinobot. "An' yer right. Th' war ended, everybody downsized. We're yer future, Batwing-brain."

Jhiaxus sagged in his throne. "Slag."

"WHAT?!?!?"

Transformers LEGACY G2 Jhiaxus: Found him in the wild at Walmart, much to my surprise. And I like him. Great robot mode, kind of an odd jet mode, but his alt mode in the G2 comic looked pretty odd anyway. My one complaint is that his head tends to pop loose from the peg, but not come off completely.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

https://imgur.com/a/bclT7y1 -- I haven't searched around online but I can't be the only one who saw the shorter stocky build and colours of Studio Series #85 Arcee and thought Energon Arcee? The VTOL hover car modes got me interested but figuring I could switch in a Kingdom/Earthrise or TT30 head sold it. It's not a straightforward swap, the SS head is tiny. It pops onto the TT30 neck well but the ball on the SS figure is larger and needs shaving down. The TT30 head also doesn't fit through the gap and the surround needs trimming back on three sides (even so it's still only just got clearance). And at the same time I was reminded that the K/E figure can actually carry the entire car shell since it folds up and clips on, plus has very stable clown feet -- looks quite swish with Jhiaxus's rifle actually. And the leftover TT30 body with SS head makes for an interesting Lovecraftian "Shadow over Innsmouth" abomination generic, which I skipped a photo of.

https://i.imgur.com/1xvpR0w.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wyWvag9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8ETDfdf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tWMOfCh.jpg
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Velocitron Cybertron Universe Override and G1 Road Hauler - Bought from K-Mart.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Kingdom Tigatron

I wasn't planning on buying one, but when Amazon decided to blow out their remaining stock for $15 I figured I'd give it a try. If half of the toy turns into mustard like some of the pictures I've seen online, well...I paid less for the thing than they're asking for a Core-class toy nowadays.

I was a bit nonplussed by the orange redeco that I got in the winter. I felt like I should have liked it more than I actually did, but everything about it was just a bit...off. The orange and green weren't as bright as they probably should have been, the mutant head wasn't as creepy as the source material, and they'd left out some of the stripey paint masks that the original had. I'm happy to say that this one has none of those problems. The show-accurate head sculpt is really slick, the colours are great, he has no missing stripes and he just overall feels a lot "sharper" than the Golden Disc variant. On the downside, the tiger head is super cross-eyed and the creamy paint on some parts of the beast mode doesn't blend very well with the crisp white of the base plastic in most of the spots where it's used. Still definitely the better of the two, though.

Articulation is nice in robot mode, typical modern fare everywhere you'd expect it other than the neck. It's really too bad that they couldn't figure out a way to carry that over to beast mode, because 26 (eek!) years on this is only marginally less of a statue than the original. The legs have joints but the body and head doesn't, so it still feels like a statue. Really too bad that they didn't put more thought into the weapons...the gun basically becomes a giant set of genitals if you store it as intended in beast mode, and the tail really can't store in robot mode at all (and is totally useless as a weapon, since it's got no articulation or even a molded-in blade like the smaller Deluxe cat mold did). It's a better toy that my griping probably makes it sound, though. I'm pretty happy I got one.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If I see one that cheap I might pick one up... also got the "normal" tiger one (and stuck an MP Tracks head on it -- I think the animal suits the character well) but was considering repainting/dyeing white Tigatron as Jazz by turning the turquoise parts black and replacing the head, both to go with Grimlock and Ravage. Possibly too much effort for a duplication of the orange tiger though.

edit: Found a red energon weapon for Arcee... I think from a translucent 3P Constructicon KO. Might shorten the neck a fraction but I do like this figure.

https://i.imgur.com/sRGrmDy.jpg
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Prime Universe Knock-Out & Tarantulas - Bought on clearance from an Australian online retailer, Robotoyz.

Legacy G2 Universe Jhiaxus - From JB Hi-Fi.

IDW Universe Blurr, Diaclone Universe Burn Out, Diaclone Universe Clampdown, G2 Universe Road Rocket - Took a bit of a gamble by ordering these through K-Marts Click & Collect service.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Legacy Soundwave - With the yellow visor and red trim, this guy does a better job of satisfying my nostalgia than the Netflix version. I even like the so-bad-it-good alt mode at least as much as the box that isn't really a box because the knees are the wrong way and stick out of the Netflix toy. Mine does have a flaw near one ankle, where the part that holds the alt mode panel in place bends out. It doesn't sit fluch in alt mode, and the panel falls off very easily. I don't know if it's worth exchanging.

Unopened clearance deals - R.E.D. Prime Arcee, Vintage BW Scorponok Legacy Skids
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Iguanus & Studio Series Junkheap (86) - Bought from K-Mart and JB Hi-Fi respectively.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Exo-Suit Spike Witwicky (86) & Shattered Glass Blaster & Rewind - From JB Hi-Fi.