Grumpy old men: armchair brand management

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer
Articles: 3

Re: Grumpy old men: armchair brand management

Post by Denyer »

Hasbro has time, even allowing for likely predatory Wal-Mart standard terms (I always think of the classic gherkin example and assume they're as shitty even to other big companies).

The moulds will happily store and be used for a good while before they're written off to be boat anchors or whatever. What I don't really understand is why the recent Arcee got a literally identical re-release so soon whilst the first release was (and still is) on widespread clearance.
Unicron
Articles: 0

Post by Unicron »

So I cracked open a Legacy Motormaster today and I was surprised by how much dead space there was in the box. Something like half to two thirds of box is empty. I get why, even though the mass and complexity calls for Commander class, if they made the box only as large as necessary, people would balk at paying that price for a leader sized box or smaller.

It just bugs me that they're wasting that much packaging when they've done away with the box windows in the name of being more environmentally friendly.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If it is just printed cardboard, there's probably relatively little impact from packaging. The impact is the additional shipping and other storage space.

Legacy MM is a litmus test for the brand's future, I think, like bundling is a different type of test. There are a lot of people out there who won't complete a combiner team for lots of different reasons, price aside, so Hasbro will want to do individual releases. A box set for $200 with five bots and lots of bits might feel like better value than 25+25+25+25+100 but it's limiting the audience.

What were the 80s prices of combiner limbs versus team leaders?

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/ ... 0s.231072/

Suggests about $5 for limbs and about $15 for leaders. So a factor of three.

MM is overconfidence. Rather than design to the market, they've skipped a SKU size.

Legacy Titan Cybertron Metroplex seems like another example of this overconfidence.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Well, the Hasbro product convention thing was today, and apparently... they've listened to us? Where getting a double-targetmaster Needlenose, a new Lio Convoy, a brand new character Junkion (or more than one?), Armada Hotshot again, and Tarn?

So... yeah. Broader series choices, new character designs, finishing off the 1988 Decepticon Targetmasters started in 2017... it's neat. I'm sure it'll be offset by deluxe figures costing $49.99 within five years, but for the moment the novelty is nice.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Also they're doing some Transformers themed cards for Magic: The Gathering, which is nice for fans of both, like myself. Guess it's a thing for them to do since the actual Transformers TCG crapped out
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Needlenose is a nice reveal and the TMs make the price a little more palatable. Lio would've been of interest if I hadn't picked up the RM, and Tarn might have been of interest in the heyday of MTMTE. Kind of interested in the Bomb-Burst that's already been revealed although the ball joints look cheap and will wear -- like Iguanus could have been better in the joints to justify the RRP -- and the size class mixing with the faux Pretenders is a built-in protection from completism.