POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'll stick with Energon Arcee, then. And her weird thaliidomyde arms.

Stuffs what I got:

Legacy Core Class Bomb-Burst
Neat little rat bag that turns from bat-headed doofus into a jet thingy thng. Great little toy and a nice way to modernise Pretenders. More of these Hasbro, and less of Shite like Legacy Skullgrin.

Legacy Evolution Needlenose w/ Fannyflaps and Dingdong (or whatever)
Well it's definitely a modern version of Needlenose with the articulation and that. So, well done? I dunno, sometimes these endless rehashes of 1980s Transformers deliver exactly what you expect so I never know if I'm supposed to be blown away or not. It's good, and I'll probably like whichever of the Predators this ends up redeco'd as more. I like the Targetmasters. They're cool, even if I can't remember their names.

Legacy Evolution Lio Convoy
I like the Robot Master version. I did sort of like the original toy, but the missile launchers were annoying, shooting stuff off into the distance never to be seen again. Like with TMII Megatron, this just neatly updates the original and takes away all those bothersome gimmicks that made toys fun to play with. Well I'm a grown up now and don't want fun, so this will do nicely. Lion does look haunted though. I wonder what horrors it's seen? GLobal warming and the devastation of habitat, I'm guessing. Wonder if they'll do the exciting black variant?

Legacy Evoiution Breakdown
Hooray I can do a Menasor! Breakdown's alright. Doesn't wow like the other Stunticons by dint of being a repaint and minor retool of Wildrider. Gets jipped with just one gun and a spoiler that they can weild as a very unconvincing shield or massive boomerang. I think I;d rather the spoiler came in two halves to peg into the slots on the back of the car, I think. They're nice enough anyway and I don't miss the Lambo mode that much.

Owning Breakdown means I can now do the big robot, so that's exciting and I've had two goes at him now. I can see why Motormaster cost so much now as the engineering to do the torso and that is actually very impressive. The arms look a bit too long and gangly, but posed up you don't really notice. The legs are visually unspectacular from the front. Accurate to the cartoon and that so yaaay for that. One of the spingy panels for the legs is badly discoloured on my copy which is an interesting thing and made my shake my fist in rage, scowl and say "Damn you Hasbro!" before realising it's just toys and I got Motormaster on discount. Is it better than the Combiner Wars version? Yes. Is it better than the original? Probably. Sword looks a bit rubbish though. It's simultaneously too small for Menasor and too big for Motormaster, but I appreciate the effort, especially with this neatly storing away in alt mode and that. All in all, the Legacy Stunticons are an impressive bunch and I like them. But I am not bothered for more combiners.
Last edited by Skyquake87 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Sometimes I should't do the computers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

EarthSpark Deluxe Bumblebee.
Judith Crabb
Protoform

Post by Judith Crabb »

Congratulations on your latest Transformers purchases! It sounds like you've added some great figures to your collection. Universe 2.0 Prowl and Tankor (Octane) are both popular characters with their own unique transformations. The Robot Heroes Sunstreaker and Galvatron, as well as Hound and Blitzwing, are adorable collectibles that are perfect for display or play. And it's always good to have replacements for Classics Devastator to keep your collection complete. Enjoy your new additions and have fun with your Transformers! :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Spot the bot replying to a 2008 post by someone who's sadly no longer with us.

Got a G1 Quake complete with targetmasters and a roughed up part of the original card for about the same one of the targetmasters tends to go for. Split the TMs out with Siege Spinister's guns across the modern Spinister and Quake, then substituted what I think is a 3P KO Constructicon stub cannon...

Also got a fillers kit for Earthrise Grapple. Objectively it isn't worth upgrading Grapple... what would have cost Hasbro cents to do as a bare minimum (hinged panels for the wrists, legs that weren't empty, etc) is around the cost of the base figure, even at offer prices. And the brittle orange plastic of the pegs that hold the crane hinge to the alt-mode bed promptly sheared off one of said badly engineered hollow pegs... which is ironic considering the character. But I do like him even more having personalised a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/LXlGVhL.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/0fhpdNk.jpeg
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Mega SCF Hot Rodimus - Bought from a toy/collectibles shop call Lobo's Collectibles, during a meet-up there.

TF x Collaborative Bumblebee A.W.E. Striker with Sgt. Stalker.

Wreck N' Rule Collection Autobot Springer - Amazon finally posted this out after months of delays.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

None yet opened: Buzzworthy Origins Jazz, Wheeljack/Cheetor/Nightbird 3-pack, and Selects Magnificus

Still no sign of Tarn. I have seen plenty of Metalhawk and a Twincast, so I may have missed finding Tarn at retail. I can try ordering online, but much prefer to buy in store so I can check for QC issues. The other Jazz I saw this weekend had chipped paint on the chest, and only one of the 3-packs had no obvious paint blemishes. I did see the Skullgrin/Crankcase wave at regular retail, so maybe there's still a chance.

I may be entering the sour grapes phase of Tarn non-ownership. I opened Skullgrin, and the skull head and armor do look good. But, he's a bit small for his class. The top of his head is about the same height as most other Deluxes, but the large head means that's a small body. Plus, the transformation isn't fun, and results in an alleged tank that doesn't roll. Tarn may have similar issues.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

No Easter egg this year - I received a Hasbro Transformers/G.I.Joe Megatron H.I.S.S. Tank with separately-packaged Baroness figure from my eldest son. It’s a beast of a Transformer, really solid and a perfect character design, but I’m not too sure I like the additional kibble, because that’s a bit of a cop-out. For the record, Megs is scowling belligerently although he shouldn’t be too angry as he’s not been locked into gun mode by Cobra Commander this time round.
I told James off for spending so much. He told me to check the receipt, which he’d included in case there were any problems… £24.98… Apparently, the Game outlet he nabbed it from were upping the price to £40 during restock later that day, so I might have an unrepeatable bargain.
I picked up a £21 R.E.D. Coronation Starscream for myself for Easter (and a bag of Cocoa Amore chocolates - it’s just across from Forbidden Planet, yes?). He’s not quite smirking, which is a letdown, but he’s a pretty good model, too, solid and surprisingly heavy, in cartoon-accurate colours. He compares well with Coronation Starscream Studio Series I bought earlier this year. Obviously, this doesn’t transform but hey! root mode takes up less space than alt mode, and what little display space I have is filled with Armada toys, as usual.
PS: anyone know how to replace the spring inside the Nerf Optimus Prime Blaster? It still talks to me, so I know it’s not ready for Silicon Valhalla.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, there's been a massive amount of TF stuff remaindered UK-wise since Christmas -- Game, discount retailers, Hasbro's own eBay store apparently clearancing or closing at 40-50% off, etc. and including a lot of things that would have been US store exclusives. Other retailers such as Kapow etc got offered it through official channels too. The suspicion is a lot of it's stock that was stuck in transit at some point and the US supermarkets wouldn't take as a result.

The Nerf blaster looks simple, just depends whether they glued it or there are screws. Probably more chance of screws with it being 2007 era.

Apparently there's a new one for the Beasts movie;
https://gizmodo.com/optimus-prime-trans ... 1850061168
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Denyer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:50 pmThe Nerf blaster looks simple, just depends whether they glued it or there are screws. Probably more chance of screws...
There’s screws. I’m no Ratchet but I suppose the dart-firing thing is make or break(!) for a Nerf.

That new Optimus blaster? I’ll give it a miss, thanks.

Stocking up on copium ready for RotB film and I’ve only seen a couple of meh-ish toy reviews. Mirage getting his Budianski spec powers is cool, but it’s not mah boi.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

EarthSpark Deluxe Megatron.

Legacy Evolution Maximal Leo Prime.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Earthspark Warrior Terran Thrash - not opened yet
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Metalhawk

Legacy Evolution Skyquake

Vintage Beast Wars Iguanus
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Legacy Evolution Shrapnel
Nice update of the original; slavishly so - just like Kickback. In someways, this era of hyper-articulated figures suits the Insecticons. They didn't have the most complex of transformations and lend themselves well to the Marvel Legends-ification of the toyline. I like him.

Beast Wars Reissue Terrorsaur
The Beast Wars reissues have been so heavily marked down lately, it's a wonder Hasbro keep releasing them. Inflation notwithstanding, it's hard to feel you're getting value for money paying modern Deluxe prices for what is the equivalent today of a modern Core class figure. Anyway, the original Terrorsaur was a favourite and it's nice to own him again. Quite pleased the auto-change gimmick isn't a mess like on the Rattrap reissue I own, so yay for that too.

Legacy Leader Class Blitzwing
Reduced to 'please take me' prices at GAME, this was one I'd passed on not because I'd heard every YouTuber reviewer banging on about how awful the alt modes are, but becasue I find it hard to get excited about Blitzwing. So it's nice that this has turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The robot mode is nice and beefy (so much so, Siege Astrotrain looks a bit weedy next to him). The alt modes aren't nearly as bad as claimed. The tank is decent and whilst the jet is a bit dumpy, it works well enough. Could have lived without the Energon boxing gloves though.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Dinobot
Toy colours version of the generally excellent Kingdom Dinobot figure. This gives me proper nostaglia feels, even if the textured skin of the alt-mode makes him look like an oven ready chicken.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Terrorsaur
Turning out to be Terrorsaur month around my gaff! Honestly not a massive fan of this Kingdom Arirrazor retool (according to popular consensus I'm doing Transformers wrong), but it does look better wearing the colours of the original toy.

Pretenders Landmine
Since I've accidentally (and lazily) been collecting 1988 Transformers, I've had my eye out for one of this lad that isn't totally scuffed and scraped and missing accessories. Now I have one complete with all the bits and everything, ready to go on adventures with Cloudburst. Hooray! I've some beef tomatoes I'll sub in for the Mechaniballs.

Rise Of The Beasts Deluxe Airazor
Really rather excellent figure that uses the old Energon Divebomb figure as it's design template (and here's hoping for a mould reuse in Legacy for that character). Airazor's a really nicely detailed figure with an excellent balance of plastic colours to bring the figure to life. She looks stunning in robot and falcon mode, and comes with two decent knives to wield in robot mode.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Rattrap and Dinobot stared at the van.

Lacking eyes, it wasn't obvious if the van was staring back or not. But there was one odd thing about it. It was really, really small. With guns stuck to the bright red sides.

"I believe we have seen something like this before."

"Yeah. But I don't think this' a ambulance."

"Ah ain't no ambulance. Ah'm s'posed t'be a Nissan."

"Anotha one? Fa bootin' up cold, HE GOT ANOTHA ONE?!?!?!?"

The van transformed into robot mode, shrugging. "Ain't mah fault Ah'm his favorite."

STUDIO SERIES 86 Core Class IRONHIDE: To the surprise of absolutely no one, I got the Core Class Ironhide. And I have to say, I like him better than Ratchet. Not just because Ironhide's my favorite, but because the tolerances seem to be a lot better. Ratchet's not exactly floppy, but his chest keeps coming unpegged and his waist is a little loose.

That being said, I did watch a couple of reviews and am starting to wonder if I lucked out. The first one I watched, the reviewer had gotten theirs from Amazon like I did, but one of the guns was missing and the left arm ball where it plugs into the torso kept popping out, along with the legs. And in both reviews, the chest popped off. Now, I haven't had that problem, so either I got lucky with my copy, or the reviewers are seriously ham-fisted.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Scraphook - Bought from JB Hi-Fi.

Legacy Evolution Tarn - Ordered from Amazon AU, no longer stocked locally, was difficult to find locally at that.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legacy Evolution Shrapnel

Much like Kickback, the original toy and character model were both basic and unrealistic enough that Shrapnel fits easily into the current design philosophy. Shrapnel's a straightforward figure, but it accomplishes what it set out to accomplish very well. It poses nice, it looks good, and it's fun to transform. There's no cheating, unlike a lot of modern figures, because there's nothing to cheat. The character model remained very "toyetic", which means that a modern figure based on that model can easily be a good toy.

It has more flaws than Kickback did, though. The forearm hollows are pretty unsightly. An absolutely insane sprue layout led to them casting the chest, gun and upper legs from purple plastic and then painting them the proper colour, even though other parts are molded in those colours. Despite slathering about half the toy in paint, the mandibles aren't painted and that leaves him looking a bit cheap, compared to his fellow Insecticon.

Legacy Evolution Animated Prowl

I expected to like this more than I actually did. It's pretty, with a very nice colour palette and a slick head sculpt. As a "Geewunification" of an Animated design, Prowl hangs onto a lot more flair than the various Prime attempts have done. But the transformation isn't fun, and the transforming ninja star hubcaps don't work very well. He's also not the most dynamic figure I've ever handled. Fairly middling overall, I'm afraid.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Armada Universe Hot Shot - From JB Hi-Fi.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I found Legacy Pointblank and Peacemaker for US$17 today. I'm fairly certain Pointblank is the big one. They're OK. The big guy is a bit awkwardly proportioned. It's like his head and legs are for a bigger robot than his torso and arms. The shoulder kibble looks good, and I don't mind that his shoulder joints aren't perpendicular to the ground. He has hardly any kibble. The little bit of windshield he does have looks good angled up as a collar behind his head, but that leaves a visible gap through the torso.

I like how the little torso fillers on his sides flip around to fill out the sides of the car, though I wish they didn't pop off so easily. The pinned wheels don't roll quite as well as others, and are louder than usual, but still roll better than clip on wheels. Basically, he has plenty of good points, but they're mostly undercut with middling execution. He's good, not great, and his face sculpt indicates that he knows it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Looks a lot better than the original, anyway. And some of the promo pics look better than the first ones that were shared... I've been tipped over into ordering one whilst they're still around and being reduced. It's partly subgroup completism, since I've got Crosshairs and Scoop can fill in for Sureshot for the time being. I doubt Hasbro will be rushing to do Quickmix or Landfill. But the retro future design is a lot more appealing now than thirty odd years ago.

edit: Yeah, he's not bad. I really like the retro Targetmaster. It's appropriately scaled for a deluxe and this size there's no need for more articulation. Pointblank himself is a bit floppy and hollow feeling in the design, but at fits a bit better with Crosshairs than Scoop who was short in a downsized deluxe period. Siege gave a bit more for the price hike.