POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy (Evolution) Breakdown - Unexpectedly got this from Amazon AU from an 'Out Of Stock' listing, must have had a couple unaccounted for. finally completes Legacy Menasor as well.

Legacy Evolution Crashbar - Bought from JB Hi-Fi.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Needlenose (w/ Sunbeam & Zigzag) - Had to get a member of the TCCA group I'm in to post this to me from a different state as it's just nowhere to be seen near me.

Legacy Breakdown - Surprisingly got this from a out of stock Amazon AU listing, must have had a few lying around.

Green Transformers: Rise Of The Beasts t-shirt - Bought from Big W.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

MP-53+B Diaburnout
What a clunky name. Anyway, this is the black version of Skids homaging the original Diaclone line. It looks stunning! The black makes this odd compact car look very sexy, and the robot mode is very nice. I kind of prefer the battlemask face the Legacy Speedia version has, but with MP Reboost and MP Crosscut (which is next on my list, to pair up with Road Rage) having that version of the Skids face, I'm guessing Takara thought they had that covered. The sculpt is nice, but looks a bit thin and small. A minor gripe on an otherwise excellent figure. Also comes with a scooter and a marmalade figure representing some hologram possibly of some cartoon character I don't care about.

Flame Toys Windblade Model Kit
I've never been happy with any of Windblade's toys. It's the alt mode mainly - a sleek fighter jet with these daft looking VTOL turbines just doesn't work for me. Controversy aside, the model kit has always appealed as it nixes the alt-mode and gives us a very nice looking robot action figure. So this is my Windblade now and it's lovely.

Rise Of The Beasts Deluxe Cheetor
The mainline deluxe release of the figure, which like Airazor, looks nothing like the Studio Series / Film version, but is still pretty banging. It's an evolution of the Kingdom design, but much much better realised. The sculptiing is excellent and both robot and cheetah modes are excellent. Only downside? The weird use of a liberal amount of brown for the robot legs/ rear of the beast which just looks odd.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

That's kind of what I like about the TR WIndblade (which is the only one I kept) -- that it's a utilitarian design. The original and the RID one are spindly and insubstantial by comparison, and whilst the arms on the TR do somewhat continue that the rest has a bit of character beyond anime stereotypes. The Legacy Minerva strikes quite a good balance too, unlike the earlier but recent shellformer Arcee/Elita-1.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Bomb-Burst - A bit of an unannounced release, but still good,

Legacy Evolution War Dawn (Dion and Autobot Erial),

Found both at JB Hi-Fi.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Two more Starscream toys.

‘Nuffzed.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Clogs wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:12 pm Two more Starscream toys.

‘Nuffzed.
Which ones, though?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Airazor (Rise Of The Beasts) - Actually got two of these for free, one was from a mate who doesn't collect the line but got it in a event bag, the other I picked up from a Hasbro AU and JB Hi-Fi Transformers: Rise Of The Beasts promotional event where we were given goodie bags that included the figure.

Scourge (Rise Of The Beasts) & Galvatron (Age Of Extinction) - Both were won as part of a spin the wheel game at JB Chadstone, will probably sell the Galvatron as I have it already.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legacy TM2 Megatron

I went back and forth on this one quite a bit before actually buying it, because Leaders are so expensive nowadays and because the TM2 design has never been my favourite Megatron. Eventually I did grab one, obviously...mostly because I saw it in-store and I was bored that weekend. But in the end I'm very happy with the figure. The dragon mode is killer, the robot mode (in spite of an iffy head) is pretty cool, and there is a lot more colour variation going on than you really notice in the promo pictures.

It's more or less on par with the Kingdom dinosaur Megatron, and as a big fan of the character I'm very happy that he's gotten two exceptionally cool toys inside of two years. I'm also happy to see a toy that executes this specific design so well, because I've never loved the 90s figure or the Beast Machines take.

I'm surprised by just how much I like this toy! They've done a lot of interesting new takes on Beast Wars characters in the last couple years and I've enjoyed most of them, but this is one of the better ones.

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Arcee (Rise Of The Beasts)

Studio Series Freezer (Rise Of The Beasts)

Studio Series Bumblebee (Rise Of The Beasts)

Studio Series Battletrap (Rise Of The Beasts)

Studio Series Cheetor (Rise Of The Beasts)

Bought the entire movie wave off Amazon for cheap.
Last edited by HeavyArms on Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Toxitron Collection eyesores!

G2 Universe Autobot Jazz
Red/ orange hot mess that's more Sex On The Beach cocktail than robot in disguise, with the added annoyance to fans who bought the SS86 proper deco of having two additional weapons. One looks like a hairdryer and the other is a stubby version of his shoulder mounted rocket launcher that er, can't be shoulder mounted. It all looks pretty horrible, but I kind of like these vulgar G2 concept art things and even dressed like a pound shop knock off, the Jazz mold is still awesome. Kind of surprised Hasbro haven't done the retail release G2 deco for Jazz - too busy slapping the name on another unused G2 version of the character using the awful Road Rocket / Arcee toy. Hooray!

G2 Universe Cloudcover
Another Ramjet redeco based on an unreleased G2 figure. Cloudcover comes looking like an 8-bit computer graphic of a cloud dressed as a jet. He has a big gormless open mouth and as the 94th use of current Voyager Seeker mold, I can't bring myself to be totally blown away and thrilled as perhaps I should be. Maybe it's because this still looks to me like an upscale of the old Classics mold, but without any of the charm.

G2 Universe Toxitron
Third go-around for Laser Prime utilising one of the better things we never got at the time efforts. I think Toxitron was going to be a BotCon or Collector's Club thing, but it didn't happen. The bile green and purple and black really works for the mold, even if - like all recent Optimus toys suffers with mild proportion problems - his arms are too short and once you notice it, you can't unsee it. Not a fan of the giant lollipop that's an axe (apparently) but looks more like a pizza wheel. Sword is nice. The figure also has a trailer, which isn't very exciting, lacking all the play features the original toy had and feeling all the worse for it. At least it looks pretty and has some excellent detailing, so it's less forgettable than the awful box flat nose Prime had to tug about.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Rise Of The Beasts main line:

Optimus Primal,

Optimus Prime,

Rhinox,

Bumblebee,

Airazor,

Jungle Mission 3-Pack: Cheetor, Nightbird, and Wheeljack.

Bought from Big W during their toy sale and from JB Hi-Fi during their sale.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:56 pm Should look pretty good as the inevitable Cryotek redeco.

https://twitter.com/ChromeTyranno/statu ... 2449999877
https://www.reddit.com/r/transformers/c ... ade_by_me/
I actually like Cryotek's deco more, on the original toy, so I'm definitely risking that I'll want to buy the same Leader-class mold twice now. :lol: It should be great, but it depends on how good of a job they do of translating the original, chromy deco to something that's paint-only. In Megatron's case they've actually diverged quite a bit from both the old toy and the show model in a lot of small ways to come up with something that works with their current deco strategy. I hope Cryotek turns out this good!
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 pm Toxitron Collection eyesores!
I still cannot believe that Walmart agreed to take an exclusive line whose whole philosophy is "stuff that was too ugly to release in the 90s when things were supposed to be ugly".
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 pmKind of surprised Hasbro haven't done the retail release G2 deco for Jazz
Over the last few years I think they've released more modern toys of unreleased G2 stuff than they have of the actual G2 toys that people my age had growing up! Since Siege they've done Sideswipe, Ramjet, Megatron, Road Rocket, Laser Prime, Leadfoot...I think that's it for "real" G2 stuff? Compared to Combat Hero Megs, Sandstorm, "Shadowstrip" and two waves' worth of Toxitron Collection.

I would absolutely love G2-decoed releases of Jazz (even if the SS86 toy doesn't really work since it doesn't have the wings) or the Minibots or Starscream, or retools of some of the more recent cars into Rapido and co., or red and green Slag and Snarl. Most of the Toxitron stuff, though, I have a hard time seeing the attraction. It's hard to appeal to nostalgia for things that never existed before.

That said...
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 pm G2 Universe Cloudcover
...this guy actually isn't an eyesore. I love the idea of random stupid background Seekers in general, and I'm not burned out on this mold the way some people are because I didn't feel compelled to collect the "real" Seekers in this mold. Do I really want another Thundercracker that's just a bigger version of the one I've owned for over a decade? Not really, and I think that'd let me appreciate the random decos like this a lot more. I've got him on order with Walmart and I'm looking forward to him quite a bit, even though I wish they'd use Dirge or Thrust for some of these nobodies instead of it being Ramjet all the time (as accurate as that might be for Sandstorm and Cloudcover's original art).
Skyquake87 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 pm The figure also has a trailer, which isn't very exciting, lacking all the play features the original toy had and feeling all the worse for it. At least it looks pretty and has some excellent detailing, so it's less forgettable than the awful box flat nose Prime had to tug about.
I'm right there with you...really don't see the appeal of paying extra for trailers that don't do anything. I'd much rather get a Voyager that's just a cab than a Leader that comes with a featureless box.

For my own new pickups:

Buzzworthy Silverstreak

A Generations-style take on the mythical "Blue Bluestreak" of old. I continue to be baffled that they've never reissued the original Datsun in this scheme, but the modern takes on it always look good. I liked Earthrise Smokescreen and this is just a new-head redeco of that toy (oddly not using the new chest that Earthrise Prowl and Bluestreak had), so I like it too. I never noticed with Smokescreen (probably because I painted his guns black right out of the box and didn't want to mess around with them too much) but the disappointingly tiny shoulder guns can actually combine with the rifle to make a big, impressive handgun. I like the way that looks on Bluestreak. I also like that they painted the inner hubs of the clip-on wheels, which looked so cheap on the retail toy. Overall, a nice but non-essential exclusive.

Legacy Nemesis Leo Prime

This is the first "Nemesis" figure to make it out as a retail figure in a while, I think? The Siege and Earthrise Optimuses, Kingdom Primal and Legacy Laser Prime all got the black redeco treatment but I think all of those were exclusives? It's kind of funny that the least-known design of the bunch is the one that they kept in circulation with a redeco.

I love the colours, though. It'd not "black" per se but a bunch of different shades of charcoal grey, with the mane being the darkest of the bunch. The tiny bits of shiny teal sprinkled throughout adds a lot to the look, and I think the result might be my favourite "Nemesis" deco of the bunch.

As an actual toy it leaves something to be desired. The beast mode is pretty static, and like every LioConvoy figure the kibble really gets in the way of posing the upper body in robot mode. The transformation is also kind of fiddly, and frustrated me the first couple times I did it. So it's a toy that looks better than it plays, if that makes sense. But it sure does look cool.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Considering they were clearly planning on reusing the Jazz mould, it's such a shame they couldn't be bothered to implement the doors so that they could work in wing configuration as well as tucked away. It kind of works for Jackpot being an AM, I suppose...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I would have loved that personally, even though he almost never has them in his media representations. It would have been nice to have the option to do either/or. I feel the same way about Prowl's shoulder rockets or Ramjet's big dumb missiles...I know that Sunbow and Marvel both omitted them but I'll never think of those characters without visualizing these features.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The cynical marketing approach is getting a bit old, really. No consideration of building in alternatives because there'll be another version along in a few years if not before whilst repeatedly cycling through the same core cast.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I feel like Hasbro is trying to apply their Marvel Legends strategy to Transformers, without really stopping to think about why that strategy might work for one brand and not the other. Wolverine or Spider-Man or Iron Man have so many different designs from so many different eras and artists that you can put out a new one every six months and never run out of source material. I think I've got six or seven different Legends Spideys and they're all based on radically different designs. Transformers really doesn't have that, especially since they're really stuck on just replicating media designs.

In theory I have no objections to them making multiple G1 Ironhides to keep a popular character on the shelf...but in practice they've done four of them over the last five years across three different price brackets and they all basically look the same, because Ironhide really only has one look. That starts to get boring after a while. It's easy to keep your Optimus or Megatron releases feeling fresh by peppering the line with G2, Beast-era and UT takes on the archetype, but how many other Transformers characters can claim that same diversity of designs? Starscream? Maybe Cheetor? But even well-known names like Soundwave or Shockwave or Bumblebee don't have more than a handful of really well-known designs to their name.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Sparkless Seeker used but (I think) complete in box, with both null rays, both Targetmasters, and 3 blast effects. I haven't tried transforming him yet, but he seems to be in good shape. I already own this mold 4 times with the Rainmakers and Hotlink. But, he was only $12 and I like the idea of a zombie Transformer. Though, I probably could've just dragged Ion Storm through the mud and got a similar effect. He's got a smirking face, which is a bit too lively for a zombie. I may do a head swap.

Legacy Axelgrease - One of the wrists didn't want to turn during transformation, and popped off. I'll have to see if this is due to the hand being inserted at an odd angle, which is fixable, or malformed, which is not.

ROTB Skullcruncher - The little guy that turns into a gun. The only mold of these 3 that I didn't already own.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Shattered Glass Decepticon Slicer with Exo-Suit,

Shattered Glass Soundwave (with Ravage and Laserbeak),

Buzzworthy Bumblebee 95BB N.E.S.T. Bonecrusher (Transformers),

Buzzworthy Bumblebee 96BB N.E.S.T. Autobot Ratchet (Dark of the Moon),

Tonka × Transformers Tonkanator.

Bought these all from a mate who imported them from Singapore.