How do you get the front wheels off of a G1 Optimus Prime?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Zizicez
Protoform

How do you get the front wheels off of a G1 Optimus Prime?

Post by Zizicez »

im trying to fix a broken leg on a optimus i bought off of ebay

and i need to fix the break before the leg come all the way off but it can get the little crome thingy of the tire without hurting it

Edit- I have a Junker Optimus that i can experiment with any suggestions on

er... and please dont answer unless you have a really good explanation

*looks at optimus and tries to to say "i fear the wounds are fatal"*
Garand

Post by Garand »

I tried once a couple of years ago.. but couldn't figure it out. Figures.. I can disassemble any laptop.. PC or Mac.. but I can't get the legs off of a G1 prime..
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I have to agree with Garand here. I tried, and I don't think it can be done without damaging the toy.

Since you have a spare Op, there's one way I can think of that you could pull this off. I hesitate to mention it because it could end up ruining both of your Ops. It involves a lot of delicate work, and I've never had two Ops on hand to see if it actually works. But, if you're willing to take the risk, here it is.

(1) Get one of your Ops. From behind, you should be able to see the pin that holds his legs on and serves as his front axle. Cut the pin. The legs and front wheels should now come off freely. You'll need one of the front wheels from this Op later.

(2) Get your other Op. Take the tire off one of his front wheels. Then, you have to cut the wheel off (how you'd manage this, I'm not quite sure). Be very careful not to damage the axle pin or the red plastic near his wheel.

(3) With the wheel out of the way, you should now be able to pull off the chrome hub with a pair of pliers. After that is off, you can take the legs off easily. Set aside the axle pin and the remaining wheel.

(4) Do whatever repair work you need to do on the leg.

(5) Using the intact axle pin, it's wheel, and the wheel you took from step (1), you should be able to reconstruct a functioning leg assembly. Put the legs in place, insert the axle pin (with the intact wheel that came with it it place). Put the wheel from step (1) on the other side. Use the hub you removed in step (3) to secure the step (1) wheel in place. You'll probably have to use quite a bit of force to get it into place, so for Prime's sake be careful.

If you manage to get this to work, you'll have a fully-functioning Op. If you screw up, you're basically out two Ops. You'll only get one shot at this, so make damn sure you know what you're doing if you try it.

Once again, I'll reiterate that I've never tried this, so I can't tell you if it'll actually work or not. I'd advise you not to try, unless you're OK with the idea of losing both Primes. Even if this worked, you'd still be out your junker, so think long and hard before you try it.
Zizicez
Protoform

Post by Zizicez »

er... that sound like it could work but not for me

reason one: the junker ops it worthless as spare parts in any way

reason 2: i am NO were near skilled enough to attemp what you suggested

reason 3: er.... its optimus prime i dont like taking him apart.... ever... it scares me

i really wish i could fix it :(
Howlback76
Protoform

Re: How do you get the front wheels off of a G1 Optimus Prime?

Post by Howlback76 »

Well it is definitely doable but it's not for the feint hearted and not a 2 second job, it can be done without the need for any heat.
I love restoring G1 transformers.
To do it I found that a Vice, a hammer and a pin (when I say pin I mean a shaft of metal that is slightly narrower than the axel itself so it can potentially pass through the wheel unencumbered) worked.
An old terminal screwdriver with the head grounded off or a Bradle even, as long as the shaft is narrower than the axel.
Stripping Prime down to just the underwear (legs and groin) lay them on their side on an open jawed vice so the the body spans the gap, then slowly hammer the pin down onto the axel, the axel will begin to receed and the Bush should come free and so too will the wheels, Turn over and repeat.
Once that is done if the axel needs to be thoroughly removed then using long nosed pliers wiggle the spring retainers off of the shift and its done.

Again, it's not easy and don't attempt it if it's your pride and joy incase something goes wrong unless it's it is a must but this method works for me.