Staff complaint

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Terradive
Protoform

Staff complaint

Post by Terradive »

My friend, known as Treadshot A1, has been complaining to me tha the staff are being very impolite on this forum. Specifically, Denyer and Cliffjumper. I've read Treadshot A1's posts and i can't see what is wrong with them.

I'm really disappointed that my friend is being treated this way (according to him).
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oh dear.

Treadshot has been brash, smug and arrogant at intervals, and has on at least one occasion dug up a week-old topic, seemingly for no better reason than to spark a fight. He has attempted to backseat moderate, and seems to think he has executive control over any topic he creates (which he doesn't). When he has behaved and treated people and their opinions with respect, he has been treated the same way. When he's been rude, people have been rude back. It's a fairly simple way to do things - treat others as you wish to be treated is pretty obvious, yes?

Of course, if Treadshot has to resort to either getting a friend to sign up to complain on his behalf, or signing up an alt ID to do so (I don't particularly care which) rather than speaking directly to the parties he has a problem with, in my eyes at least he loses a certain amount of respect.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Clear-cut Alt case. Looks like Treadadive A1 will be spending a couple of weeks with the Grue.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by saysadie
Clear-cut Alt case. Looks like Treadadive A1 will be spending a couple of weeks with the Grue.

To other folk: making staff complaints is no big deal. We'll listen. Making alternate login names to do it is a big deal, as is using alt. IDs to circumvent bans, agree with yourself in discussion threads, etc. In general, just resist the urge to have alternate logins.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Just out of curiousity what is a Grue I know it's french for crane but thats about it .
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by optimusskids
Just out of curiousity what is a Grue I know it's french for crane but thats about it .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_%28monster%29#Origin
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Terradive
Specifically, Denyer and Cliffjumper. I've read Treadshot A1's posts and i can't see what is wrong with them.
Treadshot doesn't get to dictate what other members discuss in threads he/she started -- specifically the "this is allowed" / "this isn't permitted" stuff.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Markus
Protoform

Post by Markus »

Originally posted by Denyer
Treadshot doesn't get to dictate what other members discuss in threads he/she started -- specifically the "this is allowed" / "this isn't permitted" stuff.

Shouldn't that be specified in the rules? Seems like this site is pro-trolling then. You could start a thread asking about, let's say, G1 prices on an Optimus Prime figure, and if someone responds asking about a Go-bots leader 1 figure with the next post.

If you want to discuss something other than what is in the thread-starter's post, you should start your own thread.

I couldn't disagree more with this banning.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Actually, alt-id's are an instant ban, so he earned it on that.

I can't say that this place is pro-troll, and generally, a thread will naturally go one tangent, not be purposefully dragged off-topic.

Furthermore, just because it's not posted, that doesn't mean that common sense should be abandoned.

The thread didn't even get knocked very far off-topic, aside from the joke about Star Saber being an action master.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
Actually, alt-id's are an instant ban
Only if used to troll -- flaming and sockpuppetry (i.e. using one for backing yourself up in a discussion, which is what somebody appears to have been banned for here.)
Originally posted by Markus
Shouldn't that be specified in the rules?
You think we need an explicit "you don't get to dictate what other people discuss in a thread you started, that call goes to the people that own/run the forum"?

I'd file it under common sense.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
The thread didn't even get knocked very far off-topic, aside from the joke about Star Saber being an action master.

Which would've stayed where it was if Treadshot A1 hadn't kept responding to it, firstly with his abject stupidity, and then bumping it for no real reason beyiond perpetuating the problem.
Markus
Protoform

Post by Markus »

Originally posted by Denyer

You think we need an explicit "you don't get to dictate what other people discuss in a thread you started, that call goes to the people that own/run the forum"?

I'd file it under common sense.

I have no problem with what Cliffjumper said, hell I'm just as guilty with posting smartass replies as he is. All I'm really saying is that the guy started a thread about action masters and wanted to talk about them. I haven't seen an action master thread on here, so I was thinking it would be a good place to organize that kind of discussion.

He didn't get the joke, and was subsequently ridiculed for it, and that could qualify as baiting someone.

Basically, all I'm saying is the guy started a thread about Action Masters and wanted the thread to be about Action Masters.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And in a discussion forum the discussion will flow all over the place. Unless a thread has a specific reason to stay exactly on topic (such as the collection of Movie errors or toy sighting threads) that's given up front it then that's the way it goes.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Markus
He didn't get the joke, and was subsequently ridiculed for it, and that could qualify as baiting someone.
Into registering a sockpuppet? Bit daft and lacking in self-preservation.

Personally I'd have been inclined to put whoever it is straight, end with "you're new at this multiple account thing, right?" and get around to banning if a pattern of being used to tail specific threads became apparent, but reading through previous discussions I'm not finding much reason to have sympathy...
Bartmanhomer
Protoform

Post by Bartmanhomer »

I know this sound dumb but I really don't see what the big deal is. :confused:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

You also didn't see this thread is two months old, so not really relevant anymore.

It's almost as old as Brazil.

^^ joke.

The second line. Not the first.
Bartmanhomer
Protoform

Post by Bartmanhomer »

You're definately right.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Cliffjumper wrote: speaking directly to the parties he has a problem with,
That's an excellent idea. As a matter of fact, I tried that last week in an attempt to "iron" things out, find out if I had insulted a particular person that led to what I feel is extremely disrespectful behavior, and likewise, I would have been prepared to try and mend things, try and get along with this person as well as others, and take appropriate responsibility for any action deemed insulting or demeaning to this person.

Only problem? Never got a reply.

I still leave the doors open to a private chat as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Sades

Post by Sades »

Old thread peeps.

You have things to say to people send them a PM. If they don't reply it's probably a given that they won't.

Locked as a necroposting preventative...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!