POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:52 amhad already discoloured in the package,
I think they were like that brand-new, it's not matched particularly well (and I think probably connects with different types of plastic used for joint pieces to those that take paint, without digging him out). I did patch paint the bright yellow bits.

Apart from not getting a weapon, it's nice to see new characters done fairly well.

Not sure what the thinking on pricing Cyberverse like that over here (and apparently in Canada too) is, though. They just end up remaindered in places like Tk Maxx.

Meteorfire is worth a look too, as a decent generic.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

None opened yet - WfC Artfire & Nightstick, RiD Prowl, Legacy Iguanus, Buzzworthy Blue/SilverStreak, Windblade model kit. The Prowl is used, and a bit yellowed. The yellowed plastic wouldn't even look bad if it weren't next to unyellowed paint.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Tantrum wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:06 pm My only real issue is opening the chest to get the head out when transforming to bot mode. It's hard to open the compartment, and the center head crest doesn't quite fit when folding the head out. It rubs against the barrel, and I think I see a stress mark forming. Am I doing something wrong?
I don't think so. I just got one a few weeks ago and I have the same issue. That darker metallic gray spot is really hard to pull out when his head is tucked in there.

As mentioned, I picked up Legacy Galvatron. The last Galvy I owned was the Universe Deluxe debacle, so it's nice to have a properly sized one. Good chunky figure with some nice heft too. I'm fairly pleased, but not over the moon with him.

Also nabbed Legacy Kickback from Walmart a couple weeks ago. Very nice figure! As the only Insecticon that I owned as a kid (and one of the few that survived my childhood), I have a soft spot for KB. Excellent robot mode - super posable, stable, and really nails the look. Sad that his chest compartment doesn't open though. Not much to the transformation as expected, but it's pretty fun regardless. I don't much care for the energon blades, but it's a nice additional accessory that reminds me of the ones that came with the video game Kickback.

Pre-ordered the toy colored Gen Selects Cyclonus too. I have the lavender one, but it would be awesome to have one colored like the toy I had back in the day.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Finally gave in and bought a ‘mystery’ box boasting a Netflix logo and Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy banner. It’s been shelf-sitting at a local toy shop for ages and ages, so I figured it could use some love. As anticipated, it’s Ultra Magnus... his picture is on the side of the box duh. It’s a substantial, collector’s figure coming with a goodly number of guns, one of which is Battlefield Rung (which technically makes this UM a Targetmaster),and three tiny, pink energon cubes which are way too small in proportion to the figure, and were packaged beneath a block of black Playdoh!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:58 pm I think they were like that brand-new, it's not matched particularly well (and I think probably connects with different types of plastic used for joint pieces to those that take paint, without digging him out). I did patch paint the bright yellow bits.
I was going to say "but the blues match in the pictures I've seen people take of him", until I took some pictures of my own...and the blues matched perfectly on-screen even though they're totally different in real life.

After having him for a few days, I've decided that the different shades of blue actually contrast pretty nicely.
Denyer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:58 pmNot sure what the thinking on pricing Cyberverse like that over here (and apparently in Canada too) is, though. They just end up remaindered in places like Tk Maxx.
Yeah, these things retail for between $20 and $25 here, which is pretty nuts for what they are.
Denyer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:58 pmMeteorfire is worth a look too, as a decent generic.
He's one of the ones I've had my eye on, actually. Wildwheel and Thunderhowl likewise. I'm also quite fond of their take on Slag (it's significantly nicer than the bland SS86 figure), but they're selling that for the same price as a Generations Deluxe and that's bad comedy. I doubt I'll grab any other Cyberverse stuff unless I luck into a good clearance again, or if they wind up at Dollarama or something.
Tantrum wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:13 pmRiD Prowl
I've always loved that figure. The other RiD Autobots never really did much for me, because they followed the same heavily-kibbled design aesthetic as the Japanese BW molds. But Prowl, for whatever reason, makes it look good.

I need to track down another, one of these days. Mine has a broken door. Maybe the blue version, for variety?
ganon578 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:59 pmPre-ordered the toy colored Gen Selects Cyclonus too. I have the lavender one, but it would be awesome to have one colored like the toy I had back in the day.
I thought I was going to love this right up until I actually saw it. I think it's because I associate these colours with Marvel, and the character model in the comics was just so different to the cartoon one.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's two things going on with Hammerbyte. The plastics weren't matched originally; i.e. the arms/chest weren't that nice blue on the legs or centre of the chest... but pulling him out of a tub where it hasn't been exposed to light or even much air, there's massive discolouration and the outer surface has changed quicker than the internally moulded parts. Which makes me think maybe it's mould release agent or other chemical factor that's accelerating the reaction, as well as plastic type.

Cyberverse Dinobots... I found all of them in stock at various places overall working out at old deluxe price apiece so I've just got Snarl/Slag to come (Swoop will be the POTP blue one since there doesn't seem to be a release of him yet). Sludge is more impressive than Grimlock -- because Grimlock feels like a cost-controlled downsized figure and a leg came off straight out of the packaging. Also a different plastic type to the later dinos. Also Sludge is definitely retro in design and sculpt. They remind me of action master / comics crossovers, and that's not a bad thing at all.

RiD Prowl... absolutely, got one again at the last Toy-Fu livestream. I assume that modern design could handle the kibble a bit better, but it's already a very good mould.

Cyclonus... leader class type pricing for a voyager and a mini figure, I'll pass even though it's probably the best one so far with 80s toy leanings. I think the TR one is underrated to be honest. It's much better than deluxe scale attempts. Add some stickers, metallic paint and a targetmaster and I'm quite happy.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

RED Reformatting Megatron, Vintage Beast Wars Cheetor & Tigatron and J. Balvintron Soundwave.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

SS '86 Brawn, Wheeljack, Ratchet - I haven't opened these guys, yet. Target in NH had them for $18.89 each, no sales tax. That's $56.67 for the trio. I was expecting to find them for $22.99 each, plus 7% tax locally, meaning 2 of them would've been $49.20. So Ratchet, who I was on the fence about, kinda was $7.47. This is what I consider a deal now that Ollies & TJ Maxx don't get TFs anymore.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Newest acquisition is that humongous Arc toy. He's pretty good for such a big guy. But currently, I'm stoked for the Masterpiece Trailbreaker coming out.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Kingdom Slammer, Brawn (Bumblebee), Soundwave (Bumblebee) - Bought from Popcultcha.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Buzzsaw, Sandstorm, Nightprowler and Buzzworthy Bluestreak - Bought from overseas through a friend.
Shebakoby
Protoform
Custom Title: From the Before Times

Post by Shebakoby »

managed to get SS86 Gnaw from a friend, and also got Kup, Blurr, and Jazz (SS86) as well.
Beware of Troy McClure!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I found Legacy toys at the store for the first time! There was what looked like the scattered remains of one or two cases each of Voyagers, Deluxes and Cores...something like four Bulkheads, two or three Arcees, a Skids that someone had hidden away on an endcap...and my 1988 boy Iguanus on the pegs with a bunch of SS Cores. No prize for guessing which one I came home with.

Legacy Iguanus has a lot going against him. First of all, his accessory is this weird, hard to describe thing that does nothing in either mode but apparently can be built into a mediocre sword with similar bits that were included with Hot Rod and Skywarp (in the latter's case, costing him his machine guns). And secondly, there was basically zero effort put into his alt-mode, he's literally just holding his wheels up with his hands and feet. On the other hand, Iguanus is a fantastically articulated tiny lizard man, and once you toss the...whatever it was he came with into the trash and kit him out with a 3mm gun from an old TF:Prime Cyberverse figure, he's fun to mess around with in robot mode.

But at the end of the day, this figure cost $17 and in no way does it feel worth that. I'm not sure what a three-inch robot can do to feel like it's worth that much cash, but this ain't it. A proper accessory that the figure can actually use would seem like the bare minimum you'd expect.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

And some sort of kick stand because a bike that can't stay upright is pretty crap. As is the reliance on ball joints, most of which are loose, and most of the transformation being ball joints. And the hollowness of the back of the legs and arms feels particularly insulting for the price.

I don't much care about the simplicity of the alt-mode (more Pretender inner robot homages, please) as the original is a very low bar and meandering towards being enough to justify picking up an overpriced legends/core class figure. But after having him sat on a shelf for a while because almost nothing else I collect is in this scale, I think it's going to take tracking down a shell to redeem this one.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I lucked out and got one with ball joints that are nice and solid, but all of those are valid points.

I got together all my other modern ex-Pretenders to hang out with him, but I dunno. I just can't get past the fact that the asking price for this tiny little thing is the same as (or maybe a buck or two more than) Big Skullgrin from a dozen years ago. I know that inflation is a thing, but come on.

Speaking of ball joints, wow, Thunderwing can barely even stand anymore. Hopefully Hasbro gets around to making a new Voyager Thunderwing at some point before they drive the brand into the ground entirely...
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Perceptor (86), Vintage Beast Wars Cybershark, Beast Wars Snapper, G1/2 Rapido, G2 Grimlock, Netflix Soundwave - Bought/Picked up froma friend while at Lobo's Collectibles.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Whoop! Another month, and despite being utterly underwhelmed by Legacy and having no real interest in any of it, some colourful repaints of some of the worst Kingdom Deluxes caught my eye. So I bought all three of them. Because that's how toy collecting works.

Legacy Sandstorm
The sandy tones, orange and purple, plus the toy-based mutant head (toy-based. This is a toy!) rescue what is still an utterly crap figure. Whilst the robot mode is nice enough, the thing barely transforms. It feels like the head was designed to flip into the chest and then that should close up for beast mode, but it doesn't. Leaves you with a figure you've barely transformed and covers the mess of tatty robot parts with some spindly purple limbs. It is shite, but I still like it for some reason.

Legacy Buzzsaw
Rather nice repaint and new head on the Legacy Waspinator mould. It still feels too small, with the insect limbs getting in the way during transformation. It's alright, being a compact re-do of the superior Generations Waspinator mould and the more familiar colours (I've never seen a green wasp) help sell the alt mode. I really like the nice metallic green on the compound eyes. The wings look black, but they're a very very dark translucent purple. I think I would have preferred them lightening up a shade. It would have just looked nicer.

Legacy Nightprowler
Another repaint of the Kingdom Cheetor mould that's nicer than the original. Guy's an Autobot, so I'm thinking/ half-remembering this is a character mentioned in an old Annual story or something (possibly). Might be wrong, but I can pretend and it's boring looking everything up on the tfwiki. The grey is an odd choice, but I like it. The yellows are nice and crisp and he looks pretty great, all told. Even if the figure is still looks like a rake in robot mode.

Sandstorm
No-one really likes the Autobot triple-changers, do they? I can tell because there's no end of the buggers available on the aftermarket missing their guns. I used to own a wepaon-less Sandstorm about twenty years ago. Now I own another one (still without his gun). This time with plastic toes. He's brilliant. Easily the best of the '86 Triple Changers and leagues ahead of that awful T30 reuse of the Springer mould (why does everyone gush about it? It looks like that time Meg Mog & Owl made a vehicle by combining elements from all three of the types of car they'd like to make some weird Wacky Races style contraption).

Headmaster Mindwipe KO
I like Mindwipe. The Titans Return figure wasn't the best and I missed having the guy in my collection. I went for the Chinese bootleg, because it saves the pain of tracking down an original that doesn't have the tabs snapped off on the wrists or a missing Headmaster (love the folk who flip the bat head up and sell him as 'complete'). For extra bootleg lols, this came with Weirdwolf's instructions.

Energon Cliffjumper
Sigh. How far Transformers have come. This thing is big, chunky and has super-nice plastics. It makes noises too (engine ones!). Transformation is simple and the robot mode has some articulation, but is reliant on the massive heel spurs to keep upright, thanks to packing in the combining gimmick smaller Energon Autobots do. The colours aren't the nicest, but seem to work out for the guy. Love his grumpy looking square head, which looks like a bunch of boxes stacked up. He's also absolutely massive, which is great. I've enjoyed him so much, I've had a punt on an Energon Ironhide (which folk can't give away) and can't wait for him to show up to have a go at the combined modes and make Ironjumper or the less impressive Cliffhide. FUN!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

um sorry for the double-post. I'm right good with tech.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Silly overpriced set Blackarachnia
This thing is glorious. Mad colours and leopard-print bra like she's off for a night out in Hull. Fantastic.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Silly overpriced set Nemesis Primal
Really nice angry looking monkey. Up there with Black Convoy and Universe Nemesis Prime as one of the best evil Primes. The purple monkey face is perhaps a bit much. He looks like he's choking on something. Possibly a banana.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

"How come we gotta do this?" Rattrap, in rat mode, slouched in the oversized chair, whiskers drooping with put-upon annoyance.

"Because, Vermin, we have no.... how does the Terran saying go... 'skin in the game'." Dinobot stood on his chair, watching the door before them.

"You c'n say dat again, Choppaface. I know Scrape Ape went through a few bodies, but geez....."

The door before them lit up with a sign: OPTIMUS PRIME RESSURECTION #1254875412487 and slid open, revealing Optimus Prime. More or less. His chest was silver, the matrix clearly visible through the windows, the boxy projections rising above his shoulders like massive machines, his legs long, with grey thighs and heavy, carbon black shins.

Prime groaned, holding one hand to his head, after hitting his new pauldron a couple of times. "What... what happened?"

Rattrap shrugged. "We heard ya hit a moose'r somethin'."

"A moose?" Prime shook his head. "That's a new one."

Transformers LEGACY Laser Optimus Prime: Yes, I got the Laser Optimus Prime. He's pretty good, but my only real complaints are that he didn't come with a rifle, and there's no G2 emblems. Luckily, the targetmaster that came with Netflix Siege Megs fits perfectly, and the colorscheme just fits, and the odds are good Toyhax will make a set for him. And of course, the day I get him I see a video for Black Convoy. Not sure I'm going to get him, though. I've got the old RID version, and the only improvement they seem to have made is they got the emblems right.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:58 amBuzzworthy Bumblebee Silly overpriced set Blackarachnia
This thing is glorious. Mad colours and leopard-print bra like she's off for a night out in Hull. Fantastic.
I got one of these too! It was at a local collectibles shop, mint on, er...one quarter of the box insert from the set. The new head seems to take up just a fraction too much space, so nothing else can quite squoosh in as much as it needs to when I transform it into a spider. But it looks ridiculous and I like it. She pairs off nicely with the bright purple Universe Silverbolt that I've had for eons.

Also found at the same shop...

Beast Wars Video Pack Razorclaw. I've been looking for one of these for ages and all I've ever been able to find on eBay are expensive MISB examples and Japanese Rockbusters. I have the standard blue one and I love it, but the clear plastic is starting to stress and crack. This version is made of all solid colours and feels like it should be more sturdy. The red/orange/metallic teal colours are great and it really stands out in a group.

Transmetal II Iguanus. Also shares a mold with a toy that I already own and really like. Reptillion was one of the more eye-catching Universe figures, with a super intricate paint deco. Iguanus is wearing a chrome-silver kilt with an orange fade, he has a mouth full of ghastly blood-red teeth and he still manages to look tame in comparison. He was also absolutely filthy and must have been sitting on the store shelves for ages, but after a bit of cleanup, the figure is in great shape. I'm really glad I found it.