POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Heinrad »

"I don't get it, Choppaface. How come you wanted t'call yerself afta one'a the STOOPIDEST Autobot teams? I mean, I know yer a slaggin' Pred an' all, which means ya ain't got a lot goin' on in th' ol' gearbox t'begin wit'-"

Dinobot narrowed his optics, once again trying not to take the bait of Rattrap's wheedling. "Maybe you should ask yourself that same question, Vermin."

They rounded a corner, coming face to foot with a large mechanical brontosaurus.

Rattrap pointed up at the dinobot. "See? Lookit him! Nothin' goin' on in there!"

Sludge looked down at the two much smaller Cybertronians, opening his mouth to speak. "I must say that I am quite offended that you would insult my inteligence in such a way. How DARE you, sir!"

At least, that's what he meant to say. What came out was. "Me, Sludge, no like you."

Studio Series '86 Transformers The Movie Dinobot SLUDGE: I've always had kind of a soft spot for ol' Sludge. He was the first Dinobot I ever got, way back when. And I like this update for the figure, for the most part. My one complaint is the feet. He tends to tilt back on his ankles, and if I try to pose him any, the front halves don't really want to cooperate. Might have to get an upgrade kit.....
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Velocitron G1 Universe Autobot Cosmos - Found at a local K-Mart.

Shattered Glass Ultra Magnus - Bought at a local JB Hi-Fi.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Kingdom Ultra Magnus - Gamestop has all their clearance items an extra 50% off. I stopped in hoping to find toy accurate Reflector, but found this guy for $20 instead. At this price, I'm satisfied. Both robot modes look great. I'd've preferred the Cybertonian single window for the inner bot, but not enough to pay full price for a toy covered in schmutz.

The vehicle mode, on the other hand, is awful in both form and function. I expected this from pics and reviews, but it still surprises me with it's badness in person. The cab has no idea what to do with the bot arms. I knew the hands would stick out, but the arms don't even sit flush with the rest of the cab. The trailer is a gappy mess. I wouldn't mind the intended gaps if they didn't give a clear view of the shoulder pilons and bot head.

This is a major step back from the G1 toy. The bot shins folded down to make ramps allowing 2 cars to enter. The gauntlets were sloped, so the top could angle down as a ramp for the top two cars. Did they have to make this one so much worse? I know the G1 toy had a bunch of bot parts left over, but this one has enough partsforming that they should've been able to come up with something more functional than this.

He does look good with Legacy Skids riding on top of him. Unfortunately, he's not long enough to fit a second car up there. With no storage inside, he's a car carrier that carries one car. Maybe I'll try again with smaller Deluxes. Or maybe I'll just leave him in bot mode, which is quite good.

Not yet opened: Cyberverse Deluxe Bumblebee, Beast Wars Vintage Tigertron and Cybershark.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Toy Deco Dinobot, Legacy Red Cog, Toy Deco Terrorsaur, Legacy Creatures Collide 4-Pack - Sent by JMart.

Shattered Glass Jetfire - From Amazom AU, discounted.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series Arcee
I flat out loved the look of this thing the first time I saw it. Best mainline Arcee toy by a country mile for me. She's all round, ovally shapes and horrible looking robot bits and looks great. Bike mode is excellent too! Thinking about it, I've actually liked all the Bumblebee movie toys I've picked up.

Studio Series Thrust
...and then I picked up Thrust. Reduced to clear at TKMaxx, I kind of like it? Robot mode is nice, but the silly cone/ beak behind the robot head is poop. Transformation is okay. Just seems to involve a lot of swinging and sliding parts around. Doesn't feel very finished. Alternate mode is another attempt at the Tetrajet and by this stage, I just wish Hasbro would give up with the thing. The Cybertron toys from 2005/6 nailed it. Everything else since has looked a bit shite, frankly (do the WFC ones from 2013 count? They don't look very Tetra, and are more ...jet).

Legacy Core Class G2 Megatron
Hmm. I like it better than the Earthrise/ Selects mould, but it's still not great. Robot mode is nice, but the alt mode looks silly with a pistol to make up the barrel and NO WHEELS so it doesn't roll. Boo.

Legacy Drag Strip
I very much liked Kickback and Dragstrip did look good (crappy pegged on wheels aside) on the shelves, and him and Wildrider have had price drops below £20 (if you were quick), so I picked him up. He's really great. The yellow is a bit much and I would have liked more of the mustard yellow visible in robot mode to stop him looking boring. Not sure about his head being hollow, but I can see it kind of passes a seat in vehicle mode.

Legacy Wildrider
I love this figure. Vehilce mode is stunning. Robot mode is nice, save for the front of the vehicle mode just hanging around on his back (faithful to the original, I guess...). That part being engineered to split apart for no real reason just seems like a bit of reach for no gain other than there was some budget left for more engineering. I pretend it's some kind of VTOL jet pack, as if you squint, it kind of looks like wings and that.

...wasn't really planning to pick up the Stunticons, but having looked at the pictures of the others, I might collect the rest. The individual robot modes look like they'd look pretty rad hanging out together getting bossed around by Motormaster. Combined mode? Bit indifferent on, tbh. Don't like the sword, for sure. It looks rubbish.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

A few new things showed up this week!

Beast Wars Vintage Terrorsaur

Kind of a QC disaster, honestly. The peg that holds the spring-loaded transformation in place was so tight that I almost snapped his head off switching him to robot mode, but the ball joints were so loose that the figure could barely stand. And the arms were assembled backwards. And there was a big scratch in the face paint. After I fixed all of that...well, I own a few examples of the mold already, I already knew it'd be a really good fun Basic figure, and it is now. But it took a while to get it there and that's pretty disappointing.

Walmart Legacy Sandstorm

I'd honestly given up on ever seeing this wave of exclusives, since it was supposed to show up more than half a year ago. But it randomly appeared at my Walmart finally. Armed as I am with nostalgic childhood memories of the original BW Scorponok mold, it's hard not to be disappointed in this one. The gimmicks were what made the original fun. Without them, what's left isn't very impressive. Awkward, badly balanced, and a bit stumpy. Nice colours though.

Legacy Tarantulas

An unmitigated success! It's the same basic toy as last year's Blackarachnia, but about 25% bulkier. Blackarachnia left me with the distinct feeling of "if this was 25% bigger it would be perfect", and Tarantulas is pretty damned close. I could quibble I'm sure, but the beast mode is suitably monstrous, the robot mode is a lot of fun and the head sculpt is a real winner. This one's stands right up there with Airazor as one of my favourite modern Beast Wars reinterpretations.

Legacy Jhiaxus

Actually, shockingly, great. Whoever designed this put way more effort into the transformation engineering than I would have ever expected, considering how the comic design clearly gave zero thought to making it work at all. The alt-mode is also far more serviceable than you'd ever expect (despite not having a bottom to the cockpit). But the robot mode is obviously the focus here, since Jhaixus was probably only in alt-mode for three panels in the entire G2 series. And the robot mode is really, really good. Almost zero kibble, great articulation, and exactly the right amount of "Yanniger" to the aesthetics to capture the flavour of the G2 comic while still fitting in nicely with normal Generations figures. I'm so impressed with the thing that I almost forgot to be mad that it cost me over $50! Almost.
Shebakoby
Protoform
Custom Title: From the Before Times

Post by Shebakoby »

I got me a SS86 Spike Witwicky!
Beware of Troy McClure!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Bumblebee (Dark of the Moon) - Bought from Big W.

Wreck N' Rule Collection Diaclone Universe Twin Twist & GI Joe X Transformers Collaborative Megatron - Bought from Amazon AU.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Titans Returns Windblade found used, but complete, at a comic shop for $15. I was pretty psyched to see this. I was also pretty psyched to see the comic shop, because I thought they'd closed. It turns out, they just moved to a location that actually has foot traffic.

I wanted to get this figure when it came out, but never saw that wave in store. I like Windblade OK, but am glad I didn't pay aftermarket price. The jet mode makes no attempt to hide the arms or connect the lower legs to fill out the rear of the jet. At this point, I think I own every Windblade mold, and the only one to fill in the rear of the jet is RiD 2015, and that uses a panel that just hangs off the back in bot mode.

Despite all this, and the cockpit being hard enough to open that I used a knife to get the Titanmaster out, the jet is somehow OK. The bot is legitimately good. It's got the best face sculpt deco except for the Furai model kit. The model kit also came with two swords; I'll have to see if this Windblade can wield the extra one.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Studio Series Bumblebee Movie some numbers Wheeljack
£11! Can't remember the last time I paid that for a brand new retail release Deluxe. 2009, probably. I remember the Prime Deluxe toys being £12.99 which seemed a big hike back then. Anyway, this wee chap is reduced ...everywhere. He's actually quite lovely. Tiny, but lovely. Robot mode is nice. Articulation in the legs is hampered by all the panels that make up the vehicle mode, but I don't mind. Transformation is a bit fiddly. He's so small that there doesn't feel like there's quite enough room to swing all the panels about to get them clipped into place. Once you get there, you get a nice sporty looking space pebble similar to Bumblebees Cybertronian mode. Nice.

Binaltech Asterisk Sunstreaker Meets Junko
I have the Dead End version of this mould, so knew what I was getting here. The figure is gorgeous and looks lovely in both robot and vehicle mode. The latter in particular I'm very fond of as I think the Viper looks fantastic. The paint and plastic matching isn't so great, but it all looks nice and bright. Although he has articulation, Sunstreaker can't really make much use of it, due to all the clashing car parts, so he's limited really to G1 style arms and head swivel and that's about it. Doesn't really matter for Binaltech, I find, as these are all about the vehicle mode. The chunk and heft of these things is great and I really love the fit and finish of these figures. Junko is cute, but like the other Asterisk dolls, I'm not a fan of that weird seated position, which means she doesn't look as if she'd sit comfortably in a car.

Generations Springer
I sold my original when I got the Siege version, but honestly, this older toy is waaaay better so I bought him again. Everything just has room to move and feels like it properly transforms. One of the biggest criticisms I have with the current modern Transformers is yes, they have all this impressive engineering, but it's all largely in service of the robot mode, leaving the alt modes looking a bit weak - especially where they've got hands hanging off the back...

Studio Series 86 Wheelie
...like Wheelie here. This is quite a nice looking figure, but the vehicle mode isn't quite there and looks all boxy. Given this is the same size as the pack in with Grimlock, I'd rather they'd included this figure with Grimlock - I'd have happily paid a little extra for that as the earlier figure wasn't satisfying and this doesn't feel good enough to be 'sold separately' figure.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Selects Cyclonus/NIghtstick, Legacy Bomb-burst, Legacy Dragstrip, Eartrise Blaster/Eject all from a comic shop used, but complete. I've never seen Bomb-burst in store new, so I was surprised someone had already decided to ditch him. Cyclonus and Bomburst each came with their outer boxes, but not the inner parts that actually hold them steady.

The only one that came with instructions was Cyclonus, and I already know how to transform him from the Kingdom version. I had to look up how to transform Bomburst online to verify that the arms don't tab into place in alt mode. I figured out Dragstrip on my own, though I had watched a review several months ago when trying to decide if I'd get the new Stunticons.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Sideways.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Super7 Actionmaster Bombshell because Comics & Cocktails had the first wave in their "one week only" sale and it was half price, still feels a bit steep for what it is but in line with McFarlane scale and RRP for DC, 40K, etc figures, and to be fair there's as much plastic as a space marine even discounting the low production run numbers.

The cognitive dissonance is strong with the way it superimposes onto memories of the original. It's a spot on update and upscale but about 7" tall, taller than an old pretender shell but not excessively so (this will be relevant for anyone who ordered Bludgeon, assuming it gets released which I think is now February next year -- I'll probably be keeping the preorder despite the apparent Legacy one scheduled, on the assumption that one's a Tarn remould). As photos from people such as Sixo have shown, Bombshell would fit well with Masterpiece Shockwave, etc, for display. As well as Needler, you get an AM gun and a G1 gun, and various fists and hands that can't hold anything without the application of boiling water and adjustment (Super7 seem to have no desire or ability to fix these sort of problems with their homage lines by using more suitable materials; don't try to force parts without heating or they'll probably snap). The guns don't seem hollow but feel like a noticeably more lightweight plastic than the rest.

The AM partner gimmick is reasonably faithfully recreated. You can stick Needler's head on Bombshell and it doesn't look bad, but looks better as a backpack or separate. Finish is good quality with crisp application and bright colours. At this price or even possibly the RRP, it's cheaper than an original European only release AM. If they did other AMs I have particularly strong nostalgia for such as Charger, Treadshot or Sideswipe, I'd consider getting them.

Pro pics: https://tfsource.com/blog/2022/09/16/re ... bombshell/

edit: Update -- the plastic the "open" hands are made of doesn't hold shape over time so he's only barely holding a weapon and will need adjustment or a bit of sticky tac.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Decepticon Crasher and G2 Universe Shadowstrip.

Studio Series SS-86 Arcee (The Transformers: The Movie).
Shebakoby
Protoform
Custom Title: From the Before Times

Post by Shebakoby »

got me a legacy Elita 1, very nice figure
Beware of Troy McClure!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Robots in Disguise 2000 Universe Scourge - Was able to get this really cheap at EB Games, possibly a pricing error.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Earthrise Ironworks used, but complete, from a comic shop for $15. They had another Ironworks for $17, and I couldn't see any difference. The cheaper one had a leg detached, so maybe the pricer thought it was defective? The red paint on his chest is a bit smeared. He's also got the common issue where the paint on his arm is too thick, so I can't fit a peg in the 5mm hole. I might put in the effort to scrape some off.

I'm not that into base modes, and his parts don't seem to make great weapons for other figures. I mostly bought him for the bot mode, because I like the asymmetrical arm design, with the crane hook hand. I tried to make an excavator by combining his scoop torso with Slammer's tank mode, but failed. I didn't try very hard, though, and may give it another shot.
Hsunnystore
Protoform

Post by Hsunnystore »

MB-04 Gun Fighter Optimus Prime Master Builder
HsunnyToy-Your action figures and Transformers Database!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought these from JB Hi-Fi during their Black Friday Sales:

Studio Series Thundercracker (Bumblebee)
Studio Series Galvatron (Transformers: Age of Extinction)
Studio Series-86 Ironhide (The Transformers: The Movie)
Legacy A Hero is Born (Orion Pax and Alpha Trion)
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Cyberverse Deluxe Starscream from Marshall's for US$10. He's got quite an involved transformation which does absolutely nothing to hide the bot arms in jet mode. The torso transformation is pretty clever, turning a narrow bot into a much wider jet. This kind of remind me of Prime Skyquake, who very cleverly turned the nose into the torso, then left the hands hanging out behind the jet.

He does a better job than the Warrior. While the Warrior is clearly an entire folded up robot, the Deluxe is clearly folded up robot limbs, with the torso becoming the fuselage and the head hidden away.

Many jetformers have bot modes that basically have an entire jet stored on their back, like the Aerialbots. Starscream also fits this. However, because of the way the jet wings close in together, with the two vertical fins connecting into a single fin, the jet stored on his back appears to be a completely different model than the jet he turns into.

When I saw him in package, I thought he was a small Deluxe. But, he's actually taller than most. He just isn't as bulky, and a lot of his height is in his legs, which weren't visible in box.

The wonky alt mode means I can't say he's objectively good. However, the alt mode is better than the 2 Cyberverse Warrior jet modes, and doesn't use a faux cockpit in the bot chest. The bot mode is good, with all the articulation expected from a modern Deluxe, including ankle tilts and wrist swivels. My only complaints are that that it's hard to get the torso detached during transformation, and the null ray blast effects were warped in package due to being tied in too tightly.