POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Skyquake87 »

Beast Wars Reissue Rattrap
Down to £6.50 in The Entertainer in the run up to Christmas and picked up just to complete the line up of reissues I've acquired! Rattrap's alright, nice simple flip-changer (why are all these packaged so badly that it's put a strain on the flip-change mechanism?) with neat weapons storage.

Alternators Decepticharge
Hmm. Well, this 'rally deco' can't hold a candle next to Smokescreen. The vehicle mode is otherwise very nice. Transformation is okay, but the robot mode is very flat, lacking much depth and his emaciated weapon may as well not have been included.

Legacy Motormaster
Wow, he's a hefty lad. Love the chonk in vehicle mode - although the feeble clips that hold the trailer wheels in place are useless, making the trailer sag under it's own weight. The tractor cab is beautiful and although the trailer, like with Earthrise Prime, feels to short, it has some substance to it to make that something you can quickly overlook. Motormaster's robot mode just needed to heels to be an out and out triumph, as it is, it's just very good but prone to falling over. The base mode the trailer makes is fun, but lacks ports to jam on weaponisers, battlemasters and the like, which is odd given the cross-compatibility elsewhere in the line. Maybe there was no budget for 5mm ports. Not tried the combined mode sans all the limbs, as I'm just having fun with the toy in these configurations alone. I would have preferred Motormaster have some weapons that scaled better with him. He looks silly waving the oddly stubby but massive sword and too big for him blasters about.

Five minutes after Christmas and everyone's got a sale on, so I picked up a few bits from ID Toys I wasn't expecting to show up so soon, so props to ID for their speedy service!

Cyberverse Bumblebee Adventures Dinobot Snarl
I think he had an over-caffineated title that involved power -slashing or somesuch too, which is the sort of thing that's put me off the Cyberverse line. You can't really tell if you're getting some weird two-step gimmicky atrocity or a half decent Deluxe figure. Thankfully Snarl here turned out to be the latter. Robot design cribs from the old Action Master design, which unforunately means he's a parts former with a hefty chunk of the beast mode just detaching, which is a bit disappointing. Still, the robot mode is good fun to muck about with and the 'wanking arm' action feature is diverting enough. Shame the sword's soft plastic that's warped out of the packaging. Transformation is simple but effective and the beast mode looks great. So, a bit of a minor success for a line that's a weird and confusing affair.

Legacy Minerva
I had pondered picking up Eltia-1, which Minerva shares her mold with, but this was on sale (surprising, as it's a Walgreen's exclusive or something, isn't it?). Whilst Legacy has generally been excellent, Minerva is another sign of a design having too much engineering to be much fun. Robot mode is nice, although the way the legs are makes her look like she's had robo-rickets, but the transformation is just a faff of tabs and clips that won't go together. It's the sort of spongey nonsense that also ruined Earthrise Runamuck. A little more simplicity in some of these transformations wouldn't go amiss to stop ending up with stuff like this that's a bit too messy to be any fun. Shame really, I quite like the strange retro-future vehicle mode, but it just doesn't hang together well.

Studio Series Sideways
Surprised to see this on sale so soon as it's only just hit UK retail, but thought he'd look nice hanging around with my Studio Series Devastator. What a great little figure this is. The robot mode is excellent, even if the head is a bit too silver for my tastes. The weapon is fun and I love how gorilla-y he is. Transformation is alright, it's as shell-formery as the old ROTF deluxe, and I like the licence-dodging take on whatever model of Audi Sideways was, which looks more interesting thanks to being beefed up and rendered a little more squat.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Crosshairs (The Last Knight) and Studio Series The Fallen (ROTF).
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Rattrap and Dinobot stood in one of the many corridors of the Ark, looking up at a sign on the wall.

"Meetin' a th' Tough Ol' Guys?" Rattrap shrugged. "That don't exactly clear it up. Most'a these guys are like gigacycles older'n us."

"Nnn. Perhaps it is simply one of their.... quirks."

"Yeah, maybe."

Within the room was a long table, and at the table sat Ironhide. Several different versions of Ironhide.

G1 stood at the head of the table, because the battle sled wouldn't actually sit. And lining the sides: 2005 Con Exclusive. 2007 Movie. Masterpiece Upgrade/KO. Siege. Earthrise. Three different third party versions. And at the foot of the table, two more versions stood. One smaller, looking very compact. The other larger, much more squared off.

"So, lemme get this straight," the G1 Ironhide drawled. "I kinda got used t'them tryin' t'release newer versions'a me, but other'n when a movie comes out, it ain't like there's, whut, more'n one a decade? 'Cept fer those two, anyway." He waved towards the Siege and Earthrise versions.

"Yeah." The taller of the two newcomers intoned.

"So whut are you two, anyway?"

The smaller opened what looked like it's mouth to say something, but nothing came out. The taller one sighed. "It's real simple. Ah'm th' 86 Movie version-"

A collective growl arose from the table, one of the similiar sounding voices growling, "Ron Friedman will pay."

Followed by a mid-Atlantic accented voice. "As will Bay."

The 86 Ironhide sighed. "Aw, c'mon. You guys know well as Ah do it's the creeps at Hasbro's fault." He pointed at the smaller Autobot by his side. "'N he's th' Bumblebee Movie version. We're both Studio Series."

Studio Series 86 TF:TM Ironhide and Studio Series Bumblebee Movie Ironhide: Was my Christmas merry? It was, especially on the Ironhide front, although I bought them both for myself. And Studio Series continues to be hit and miss in terms of transformability for me. In the other they arrived in:

Bumblebee Movie Ironhide - I'd kind of decided that I was actually going to skip this version if I couldn't find one in stores - yeah, he looks good but the face seems off - but I have to say, I like the little guy. Interesting transformation, and getting him into 'van' mode is fun.

86 Ironhide - This one I really wanted, and finally managed to get. Part of me is thinking this is what they may have intended for Earthrise, but maybe the budget wasn't there. Like Siege, it's amazing. The feet, the weapons storage, the van mode.... well, they dropped the ball a little with van mode. The nose isn't quite right. And to continue my 'Studio Series transforming headaches', I can't get the tabs that are supposed to lock into the front to actually lock in. I may try to grind them down a little. From The Lazy Eyebrow's review, I gather removing them completely is a bad idea.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series Laserbeak (Dark Of The Moon), Autobot Hot Rod (The Last Knight), Legacy Dead End, Skullgrin, Predacon Inferno - Bought from JB Hi-Fi during New Years Eve Special.

Kingdom Ark - Found at Toyworld clearanced quite heavily.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legacy Beast Wars Buzzsaw
Honestly pretty disappointing. The face sculpt is ugly and the colours don't compare very well to the original. BW Buzz Saw was bright and kinda goofy looking. This version is trying to look less silly but the designers lost a lot of the charm along the way.

I woild also say that the mold compares poorly to the 2013 effort. It's tiny, parts don't lock together very well in either mode and the insect mode isn't any more convincing. The extra articulation is nice in theory but not very useful because all the bug kibble makes this a frustrating toy to pose. Generations Waspinator sets a pretty low bar and I'm surprised they couldn't clear it.

Legacy Kickback
Probably one of the most "basic" Transformers I own. "G1 with knees" through and through, to a degree that few other toys have attempted. Or maybe it's just extra noticable with Kickback because this toy is about three times the size of the G1, and the G1 toy was already super simple for its small size? It feels astonishingly unambitious, but at the same time really well-executed. As in, they did an amazing job of upscaling the 80s toy and giving it modern joints, but they did absolutely nothing else. I can't decide if I'm really impressed by Kickback, or kinda bored by it.

Pretty curious now to see how this year's Bombshell and Shrapnel turn out, and how they fit with Kickback. I can't see either one being straight updates of the G1 toy like this since their 80s figures aren't nearly as easy to update.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legacy "Wreck and Rule" Springer

Siege Springer basically didn't come out here. I think it was available to order on the Toys'R'Us website for an hour or so, one random day a year after it came out everywhere else in the world. That was it for online availability as far as I saw, at least at major retailers, and it never showed up at my local stores either. I wanted to pick up the mold, but I wasn't sure about this one when it was announced. Because it seems inevitable that we're going to get an SS86 version of this figure announced in the next year or two (minus the Siege toy's battle damage and with some minor deco changes), and I couldn't decide whether I preferred the character in cartoon or toy/early comic colours. Then I forgot about it entirely for about eight months. I randomly remembered the toy again last week and decided to pick it up after I saw someone's in-hand pics of it.

I'm glad I did! This is a very good toy. I know that all the moving parts and tight tolerances have led to a lot of QC lemons, but mine came out perfectly and it is a really solid triplechanger. I find it much more enjoyable to transform than the old Generations Springer, for sure. It helps that both alt-modes are just boxy chunks of armour, one of which has a rotor on top. The figure doesn't need to switch between two entirely different shapes like a Blitzwing or a Broadside or an Apeface, so going from car to copter mostly just means stretching out the tail and rearranging the blocks of the front end. But honestly, it makes for a much better toy this way. Articulation is typical Siege fare, generally good all around but the hips have the same issue as Siege Flywheels where you need to pose them first before you move the waist joint because there's not enough clearance for them to move if the waist isn't straight.

The toy colours are nice too. The three tones of green on the head don't come across in pics very well but it's very fetching in person. And the extra grey works very well in both alt-modes, especially compared to the Generations toy, who looked more like a TMNT accessory than an Autobot in both car and copter modes.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

"Oo-HOOH! Yeah! Lookit me! Still gorgeous!"

Dinobot slapped at the wheel behind Rattrap's right shoulder, causing it to spin. "And once again, I do not see much improvement."

Rattrap transformed to beast mode. "Speak fer yerself, Choppaface. This is what a should always look like."

"Nnn. At least I will not have to put up with the stench of wet fur anymore."

Rattrap transformed back to robot mode. "Nope." He cast a sidelong glance at Dinobot. "Maybe if we asked reeeeal nice-"

I haven't decided yet.

"Why not? These guys do a great job."

Because they haven't said what the price for TM2 Dinobot will be yet. I'm not going to put down a deposit on the figure to then discover he costs as much as a car payment. I mainly got this one so you'd stop harrassing me about not being your transmetal self. And I admit, it looks really good.

"So, what, this mean I gotta lug th' Kingdom version's dino-butt here around instead'a th' Masterpiece?"

As I don't have the Masterpiece Dinobot, yes.

Dinobot hissed. "I would rather walk."

TransArts BWM07 METAL JUNGLE METAL MOUSE Scout, or as we all know him, Beast Wars Transmetal Rattrap: Yes, I finally managed to get a modern Transmetal Rattrap. And the figure is beautiful. Tight joints, metal parts, a surprising amount of accessories, it's a great figure. I think mine's part of the second batch, though. Either that or those ring lights do strange things to metallic paint.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Earthrise Deluxe Terran Twitch - A good looking figure with a frustrating transformation. Basically, the joints you have adjust to get everything to tab into place provide more resistance than the tabs themselves. So, as you try to adjust things to get the next set of tabs inserted, the previous set pops out. I'd given up until I watched PrimeVsPrime's review, and still haven't been able to get both foot/chest tabs to slot in.

When you first start transforming her, you'll notice that the vehicle front/robot chest doesn't lock into place in alt mode. Once you get the arms transformed, you can slot the weapon into place, and that will hold the vehicle front steady. In fact, you should probably do this before attempting the rest of the transformation.

She comes with BAF head and backpack. I've no use for the head, but the backpack might be usable for any Core figures with a 5-mm port in their backs.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Legacy Needlenose

I cannot believe that I have a modern toy of freaking Needlenose of all people. Like, not a cheap repaint of an Aerialbot or something, but an actual, dedicated Needlenose mold. It's at least twice as crazy as when they did Spinister! No, really, Spinny has the crazy colours and unique silhouette going for him. And a personality! Two of them actually, since IDW made him a totally different person. Needlenose, on the other hand, is probably what you'd get if you told an AI to design a completely generic late 80s Decepticon background goon.

So I absolutely love the character, obviously. :lol:

The toy's no slouch either. The robot mode is highly poseable, with really good range of motion in the limbs. And the transformation is a whole lot more involved than you'd expect for a guy with an entire airplane on his back. The head sculpt is killer, though honestly, the sculpt is impressive from head to toe. Like Spinister before him, it feels like someone at Hasbro sat down with the 80s toy's box art and tried to replicate it down to the very last detail. And I'd say they did an even better job of that than they did with Spinister, because honestly it feels like they've captured so many tiny little details that absolutely no one would have even looked for. Well, except for the tail fin and the bottom third of his legs, which actually appear to be Windsweeper's. :lol:

But the Targetmasters look ridiculous in the hands of a modern, articulated figure, and I'd honestly rather they'd given him regular guns that just looked like his Targetmasters if this was the best they could do. Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't gone to the trouble of making partners for Spinister and Quake from clearanced Siege TMs? But even T30 Scoop's partners outdo the new Zigzag and Sunbeam. Needlenose has some extra egregious hollow in his arms and legs, too...no waffling or tech details at all.

Overall, not perfect but pretty darn good. If you don't fanboy over the last third of the 80s Marvel TF comics like I do, it probably won't be quite as exciting for you as it is for me. But it's a really solid figure. If they do make a Windsweeper out of this...well, it'll be a much better fit than Crankcase from Skids, if nothing else. I'd be pretty tempted to pick the figure up again. The toy is also built to interact with the new Skyquake the way the G1 Predators interacted with their Skyquake, which suggest some other redecos that might be a bit less fitting. Those are questions for tomorrow, though. Today, I'm over the moon that my Spinister finally has his cowardly, stylish protege!

Now, if only someone would talk to them about the rest of the Mayhem Attack Squad...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:But even T30 Scoop's partners outdo the new Zigzag and Sunbeam.
Really? Other than being hollow NN's actually look like double TM weapons, at least. I don't like the Siege ones with Deluxe class size figures though. Or the wide 'muscle' look of the Scoop ones.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I didn't mind the super simple TMs on the G1 toys, but it doesn't work for me paired with a modern, articulated figure. It totally depends on what you're looking for, though! Zigzag and Sunbeam are definitely 80s accurate, if that's what you're looking for with your double TMs. But I feel like this is one of those cases where too much accuracy made me like them less. Any pose where you can see the bottom of his guns looks pretty ridiculous.

The Siege ones do feel like they're more scaled for Voyagers...Artfire definitely looks more natural holding one than Quake. But they make a stab at being real Transformers! Scoop's, too, at least try a bit even if they're not very successful.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I was happy with NN essentially being the original figure with joints. And that's what they're going for with this line, for the most part. It's successful within its scope.

Although looking at that photo he's crying out for filler pieces and it might be easiest to do them with air drying clay and paint/varnish them rather than mess around with 3D printed bits.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I combined my newly acquired, just opened Exo-Suit with my other 4 Weaponizers and made this guy.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:24 pm I was happy with NN essentially being the original figure with joints. And that's what they're going for with this line, for the most part. It's successful within its scope.
Not many of the Legacy toys I've seen are as close to being 1:1 updates as Needlenose here. Kickback is the only one I'd put into that category. A lot of them are pretty far afield. But yes, it's obvious what the target was for this specific toy and so far as that goes, they obviously hit dead on.
Tantrum wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:13 am I combined my newly acquired, just opened Exo-Suit with my other 4 Weaponizers and made this guy.
Oh, I like that! I've spent tons of time building Fossiltrocities from the Kingdom molds but for whatever reason I've made almost no attempt to build anything from the Weaponizers. I should give it a try one day!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Generations Selects DK-3 Breaker.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

So, er, I ended up with quite a lot of pick ups in January, seeing as the sales on Transformers have been really, really good this year (or there's a lot of stuff I was on the fence about and the prices dropped low enough to have a punt).

I'll start with the new bits what I got!

Legacy Inferno
Rounding out the Season 1 Beast Wars cast is this cackling lunatic. I loved the original toy, but it's balljoint construction made it very loose and floppy very quickly, so this is a bit on a upgrade, although I miss the action feature. If I'm being picky, I don't like the insect limbs being stuck on the wrists of the robot mode, but otherwise this is great stuff.

Legacy Dead End
Robot mode looked incredibly underwhelming on the promotional images, but in hand this is a great, great figure. The alt-mode is fantastic and I love the glum looking robot mode. Dead End was a favourite when I was younger, so I'm happy to have a whizzy update for him. Just Breakdown to go and then I can do the big robot and see if that's any good.

Legacy Crankcase
Retool and tweak of the generally great Skids mold. Robot mode is great, but the transformation doesn't seem to work very well. Due to the changes they made to the mold, I can't get Crankcase's arms to clip in tightly enough to allow the side panels make up the doors to clip in place, so the vehicle mode doesn't hold together well. And it can't roll for shit either. The silly front of vehicle makes an unconvincing gun I could have done without too.

And now, exciting sale bargains (from off of IDToys):

Beast Wars Reissue Retrax
I wasn't a massive fan of the original toy, but he had some goofy charm but I'm bemused by the cost reduction on this reissue - the antenna assembled the wrong way around and the removal of two of the bug legs. The softer spring mechanism is welcome, after the mousetrap-like finger shredder of the original, but overall, not one of the go-to ones I'd have picked (Manterror would have been a better choice). Have to admit, after the original line neatly balanced the ranks between the Maximals and Predacons (except during the Transmetal 2 era), I'm a bit disappointed with the Maximal heavy focus of the reissues.

Studio Series Bumblebee Movie Ironhide
What a clever little puzzle-bot this is. He basically tuns inside out to turn into a box on wheels. I do like these cute and rounded 'bee Movie designs. They're basically the old WFC/FOC designs updated and they're right good. Shame Ironhide is so loose, mind.

Studio Series Bumblebee Movie Thundercracker
I have Thrust, and he's pretty good, but Thundercracker is just amazing. Funny what a lick of paint can do to a mould. I really like him and have even warmed to the silly Tetrajet.

Legacy Selects Cyclonus and Nightstick
Lovely toy colours redeco of the aces Kingdom Cyclonus mold. Not much more to add that hasn't been said about this toy - it's a design classic already. Stickers are of decent quality, banishing memories of those awful peely Titans Returns ones and I like cheery wee Nightstick. Comes with blast effects (if you must) and some slight looseness over the original.

And then from GAME, who have suddenly Transformers bargains galore

Legacy Elita-1
I was a bit disappointed with Minerva, but did really like the look of Elita. Her colours are really nice for one thing. The mold seems to transform and clip together properly, so beats Minerva already. The TV set head is nice and I also like her clear blue shooty sticks. What I've decided I don't like are the feet. They're too flat and needed a tiny bit more shape to them.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Creatures Collide Set
I'd given up on trying to get one of these - it was expensive to start with and sold out straight away and aftermarket prices quickly went bonkers, so I'd just let it go. And then it turns up at GAME for £44.99 (and, thanks to an online snafu, £14.99 if you were really lucky). I love this set. All four of the figures are pretty swish (well, expect Scorponok, who is such a half-assed mold, but at least he looks pretty in his toy colours) and I like having a set with a good mix of interesting things. Goldbug is nice and just makes me want the rest of the Throttlebots made from this mold (in the same way I'd LOVE the Stormtroopers from the Siege Sideswipe mold), Ransack is a nice treat for me, as I've never owned the original (the Kickback head thrown in is baffling though) and Skywasp looks cool. I'm really pleased with the set and very glad I managed to pick one up :)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:11 pm Legacy Inferno
Rounding out the Season 1 Beast Wars cast is this cackling lunatic. I loved the original toy, but it's balljoint construction made it very loose and floppy very quickly, so this is a bit on a upgrade, although I miss the action feature. If I'm being picky, I don't like the insect limbs being stuck on the wrists of the robot mode, but otherwise this is great stuff.
I got one today! I don't think I'm super impressed? It feels like 90% of the effort on this toy went into the head sculpt. Which admittedly is fantastic, 11/10. But everything else seems a little bit awkward. The bug legs and butt copter don't coexist very well. The transformation is weird and kind of perfunctory. The bug mode is kind of frustrating to stand because of how the legs are articulated. It's clearly designed to be used with a ton of blast effects (one could argue that's the whole point of an Inferno toy) but doesn't have any of its own.

It looks great when I put it in a crazy pose on a flight stand with some borrowed flame effects, but I'm not having much fun actually handling it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Legacy Hauler mostly to give the black head to Grapple, but I do like a generic background bot so Hauler got the Orion Pax head from TR PM Op carved out a bit and stuck to the back of a superfluous FoC Grimlock head. Less than half price in the Kapow sale, which would've been great apart from the oversized box it turned up in.

https://i.imgur.com/MT2hSTE.jpeg
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

Denyer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:38 pm Legacy Hauler mostly to give the black head to Grapple, but I do like a generic background bot so Hauler got the Orion Pax head from TR PM Op carved out a bit and stuck to the back of a superfluous FoC Grimlock head. Less than half price in the Kapow sale, which would've been great apart from the oversized box it turned up in.
I also got Legacy Hauler. I hadn't planned on it, but reduced to $12.50, I figured it was worth it. The exclusive beast Deluxes are only clearanced down to $17, and Skids/Arcee/Kickback are still $25. I saw a Legacy Galvatron in the Clearance section, with a sticker saying, "Clearance $55", which is regular price.

I don't have any experience modifying figure/pieces to swap heads. I was thinking of swapping Netflix and Legacy Soundwave's heads to have a tape deck Soundwave with a yellow visor. But, I don't see how. It looks like a front half and a back half glues together, but I don't know if that was done around the neck joint, or separately, then shoved on the neck. I don't want to yank the head too hard to find out. Any thoughts?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Assuming they're like the Siege Soundwave, which the remould seems to be from photos, the head's glued but on a ball joint and will pop off quite easily. Just take the shoulder cannon off so it's not in the way, get a good grip and pull up. Generally speaking if there isn't one or more screws pinning a head to a neck, and the head isn't a simple rotate left/right one on a peg, modern TF heads are simple ball joints. Can't recall any glued around a neck, and I don't think factory assembly processes would lend themselves to it.

Getting the Hauler head off was trickier than the Grapple one because the black head is a tighter fit around the peg than the orange, and the plate the peg protrudes from on that mould is really thin. I thought I was going to have to drill it to collapse the peg, and the head (glued but not well) separated into front and back whilst trying to work it off. Eventually managed with a piece of rigid plastic as a lever, without marking anything.

Whilst dremel type drills are useful on harder plastics, they're difficult to control on small parts. A set of small screwdrivers plus a craft knife is usually more versatile. And on action figures rather than TFs boiling water will help with most non-rigid plastics.