Doctor Who Series 12 Thread

Chat about stuff not covered by other forums.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Doctor Who Series 12 Thread

Post by Skyquake87 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:37 pm

Thought I'd crank this up, as I've been keeping up with the Doctor. After the first series of Jodie Whittaker's series took a more earnest and budget-friendly tone with it's lack of monsters, this has tapped back into the more popcorn elements the show had over a decade ago.

The first two episodes which brought The Master back were pretty good (and I liked seeing The Master have a TARDIS of his own), Sacha Dhawan was properly ace as The Master, dialing down the pantomime antics of the character and being way more credible. I hope we see more of him, and he's not left in planet telephone cord for too long.

'Orphan 55' was pretty forgetable, but had Jay from the InBetweeners in a silly green wig, so had that going for it.

'Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror' I really enjoyed this, although did notice how Open University the Doctor gets when talking about famous historical figures. It's like having a wikipedia entry read at you.

'Fugitive of the Judoon' This was a funny one. It threw in a lot of curveballs and things to ponder on, but seemed to marry it's two plot strands together and just came to an end.

Throughout these episodes, as in the last series, the companions just don't have enough to do or contribute. This was made particularly clear in the latest episode where they spend most of an episode stuck in a hold pen ...and I didn't miss any of them. The actor's are doing what they can, but if they all died tomorrow, I don't think I'd be that bothered.

I do like how good the show looks these days too. The production on it is brilliant, and I do love the music and opening titles. Fantastic stuff.

inflatable dalek

Re: Doctor Who Series 12 Thread

Post by inflatable dalek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm

I'm very much enjoying it so far, maybe not top tier Who, but perfectly nice and watchable.

Just feel a bit sad it's not...well, not doing badly when the final IPlayer viewers are taken into account (though the bump isn't as big as it used to be), but people are actively avoiding watching it on the day. A couple of million turn off when Countryfile ends and then turn back on for Call the Midwife. Who's highest ratings come during the end credits.

Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: Doctor Who Series 12 Thread

Post by Skyquake87 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:26 pm

It is indeed. I really enjoyed the recent Shelley themed episode, although again there was some horrible clunky dialogue during a dance scene where all the historical figures explained who they were, their situation and the historical context to their gathering. Yuck.

I'd heard that Who's ratings had dropped for this series, which is a shame. I've stopped getting Doctor Who Magazine (the editorial tone was all over the shop, as the new team struggle to reconcile the new 'woke' agenda of the series with the scholarly features, which are invariably about a lot of old white men doing behind the scenes stuff).

I think part of the problems the show has had under Chibnal are best summed up by this:

https://youtu.be/9_nveuzZbxo

I quite like his approach, if I'm honest. I just wished the need to explain wasn't so on the nose and he could strike a better balance between the monsters and the more thoughtful approach of Whitaker's first season. I did enjoy seeing Captain Jack the other week. It's nice to see elements of the show haven't been forgotten about.