Anyone seen the Netflix show yet? (Minor spoilers)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Warcry

Re: Anyone seen the Netflix show yet? (Minor spoilers)

Post by Warcry »

Hello!

Come to think of it, the Netflix show wasn't advertised at all, was it? I only knew it was a thing because of the Walmart-exclusive toys that were supposed to cash in on it.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I picked up trailers on YouTube but, otherwise, nope.

Anyone, when is the third instalment due? No ads yet...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:03 am Hello!

Come to think of it, the Netflix show wasn't advertised at all, was it? I only knew it was a thing because of the Walmart-exclusive toys that were supposed to cash in on it.
Oh, how far we've come, from using a tv show to advertise toys to using toys to advertise a tv show... :p
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've only seen clips on YouTube. Doesn't look that appealing, seems like a decent effort done on a limited budget, but I've no real interest in it. Prime was the last show that grabbed me. Haven't really seen much of anything that's come after. All of the recent shows seem to have tiny budgets and be aimed squarely at nerds (except for Cyberverse - man, I wish that hadn't been made in tiny chunks and scattered across the internet. I quickly lost track and then couldn't bothered).
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

So: old this is an old thread now... and no sign of the 3rd Netflix instalment.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

From what I've heard, the third part is going to be posted in July. Though, again, I haven't seen any actual advertising. That's just through word of mouth. From what I heard, there aren't even any trailers yet.
Clay wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:56 pmOh, how far we've come, from using a tv show to advertise toys to using toys to advertise a tv show... :p
I meant to replay to this in February! To a degree, I think that's what they tried to do with Prime as well. I always felt like they were trying to use the toys to drive people to their failed cable network (was it called The Hub?) rather than finding a platform that people actually had access to, getting the show on that and using the exposure to sell toys.

I feel like the failure of that particular gamble (and really, who in their right mind makes a big bet on cable TV in the 2010s?) is a big part of why the productions post-Prime have been so low-budget and unambitious.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Well, I’ve been considering the ‘final’ instalment, Kingdom, and, while certain things really annoy me - particularly the Beast Wars characters being the same size at the G1 characters - I was impressed by the nod to Time Wars and Starscream’s reasons for betraying Megatron. Damn, Starscream ended up the only sensible one of the lot and everyone ignored him!

Gotta love BA being caught by Airazor and doing the Rattrap/Rhinox ‘my hero’, kiss and all!

Impressive voice acting for a lot of the back-up characters, with Starscream, BA and Rattrap really standing out, but Optimus and the two Megatrons..? Excruciating, my dears, simply excruciating.

If they’re going to make more stories, given the vaguely cliffhanger ending, I wonder how they’ll manage the timey-wimey cross-universe problems they’ve created? While I’d love to see Galvy sucked to infinity a la Marvel UK, I suspect they’ll paint themselves into a corner unless they manage some really really clever writing (I do wonder if they are capable...). I suppose they’ll repopulate Cybertron by Allspark/Vector Sigma magic and go for the two sides coming together to fight Unicron, but will those stories ever see the light onscreen or appear in a novel?

Any thoughts now it’s over, peeps?
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

I just watched season 1 and I enjoyed it, though admittedly a large part of that was probably due to watching it with my son who is just getting into Transformers. I found the voice acting jarring at first, but Megatron's tone and slow talking style has really grown on me which seems to be the opposing sentiment of most in the thread. I have to admit though I actually thought it was dubbed over from Japanese or something because the synchronisation is way off at times. I've enjoyed the Megatron character even though it is pretty one-dimensional evil baddie, because at least he isn't an idiot.

It's the first Transformers series I have watched in a long time and TBH I was pretty thrilled that it is very G1 like in terms of character models and it isn't unwatchable as an adult as most of the G1 cartoon is. I like the toyline as well, I picked up a Nemesis Prime the other day. I agree with what others have said about Impactor and Jetfire switching sides - it would have been a lot more impactful if only one had done it. And come on people, it's not a heel turn when you go from bad to good, that my friends is a FACE turn. 😛
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

I think Earthrise was nowhere near as good as Siege, the voice acting is so bad at times it was nearly unwatchable.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Starsaberdub
Protoform

Post by Starsaberdub »

Will likely find out what happened to Galvatron and Nemesis Prime at some point?