Hound's backlog

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

Hound's backlog

Post by Hound »

So over the last few years I've built up quite a backlog of games. It's too the point now that I'm not sure if I'll ever get through them all though I'm not sure it's an actual problem but new games come out and get added to the list so it is a growing problem.

I started playing Final Fantasy a long time ago and I went and bought copies of all of the games except the MMOs. I played up to FF5 but then got distracted by other games and haven't gotten back into it. I know, just before the two best games in the series, and now there's the Final Fantasy 7 remake and I really want to play it after seeing it on Youtube but I have an XBox One and while I heard there will eventually be a release to the XB1 I've not seen any kind of official confirmation or release date. I really hope I can get it though.

I've also got every Zelda game on one device or another and I've played a bunch of them but I started Majora's Mask and really did not care for this game's time manipulation mechanic so I quit about a quarter of the way through. I do want to get back to it and finish it eventually. Now Nintendo's announced there will be a Skyward Sword HD port to the Switch and I can't wait for that because while I have the game on the WiiU I'd much rather play it without the motion controls.

I have a few Assassin's Creed games too. I played through the Ezio Trilogy, which if you've not played you should at least play AC2 as it's such an amazing game. All 3 are tremendously fun though. I've got Origins and Odyssey that I've not touched and from what I can tell most people either think they're good or awful. I got them because I was like "Ancient Egypt and Greece? Awesome! I want to explore the hell out of that!" but I'm worried they won't be good or that they'll be so much more complicated than the AC games I'm used to that I won't enjoy playing them. That new Viking one came out but it didn't really grab me that much. Maybe I'll get it but probably only after I finish the two I've already got.

I bought Titanfall 2 awhile back and started it but only got a bit into the game before I got distracted by other games. I want to get back to this game as what I've seen of it really checks a lot of boxes for me. I also got Rise of the Tomb Raider because it was super cheap at a Walmart and I've never played a Tomb Raider game before. I'm not sure if it's the game that starts the reboot of Tomb Raider games or if that's another game. I got Mega Man 11 when it came out because I love Mega Man and this game looks like so much fun but I just haven't gotten to it yet. Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch also and pretty much the same deal.

So that's pretty much all of my backlog of games. There are probably a couple that I'm not remembering right now, I'll bring them up if/when I do remember them. Has anyone played any of these? Does anyone want to? What do you think, is there any that I just have to play?
Clay

Re: Hound's backlog

Post by Clay »

CTRL+F "DOOM", phrase not found
CTRL+F "Diablo", phrase not found
CTRL+F "katamari", phrase not found

What even was a Wii U, anyway? I have a Wii, but I never even knew about the Wii U until the Switch was announced. I also don't pay much attention to game consoles, though.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I used to play original Doom back in high school in the computer lab with friends but am afraid I don't have much use for it nowadays. I don't have much use for games that have that much gore in them to be honest. I played Mortal Kombat a lot back then too but wouldn't get into that kind of thing now. It's all to graphic for me. Assassin's Creed can be pushing it for me sometimes.

I've never even seen much of a Diablo game, Blizzard has got enough of their hooks in me with Overwatch and I'm happy with that and I'm not sure I even know what Katamari is.

As for the Wii U, you really don't know what it is? Ok, it's Nintendo's failed console that came between the Wii and the Switch. It's gimmick was that it came with a game pad controller and also worked with the motion control Wii controllers. There were games that utilized the game pad where you could have one person with the game pad sort of manipulating things unseen be other players while the other players could see there gameplay via a TV screen. Also there were games that you could play entirely using only the game pad. So you would put your game into the console but not be using your TV to play on. Freeing up the TV for others to watch or use for other things. It was ill-named and ill-marketed. They shouldn't have used the name Wii in it at all and should have emphasized that it was it's own console with it's own features. People confused it as just an upgrade to the Wii console. That said there are some excellent games that have mostly now been ported to the Switch and the Gamepad itself I've found to be an excellent and surprisingly comfortable controller.

I really only got my Wii U secondhand and at the end of it's life cycle and mostly so that I could get a bunch of virtual console Zelda games.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, that's basically what my confusion has always been. I never really knew it was distinct console from the Wii until the Switch came out and I read some about it. I mean, I saw the games in the stores, but I guess I figured it was a beefed up or streamlined version or something of the thing I already had.

I still have the Wii hooked up to the tv, though it's not plugged in to the power outlet. I essentially bought the thing when I found out it could play super metroid through the virtual console. I haven't been interested in a Switch, and retroactively the Wii U, after I found out that Ninendo doesn't honor games you've bought on the virtual console from one box to the next. I mean, Steam's been doing that for fifteen years or whatever. There's no reason Nintendo couldn't come up with a persistent account system too, except that they want people to buy the same retro games over and over.

Katamari is the game where you push a ball thingy around and things stick to it and it gets bigger. Wonderful and sublime game with a great soundtrack. Used to be a playstation... 2? game, but it's on Steam now too.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh I know that game, Game Grumps played it. It looks fun but not interesting, if that makes any sense.

I never had a Wii but got a Wii U because it was backwards compatible with Wii games so it meant I could get games from both systems if I wanted to. I had roommates who had a Wii and I played the hell out of Wii Sports when it first came out but my roommates pretty much only got it for Wii Sports cause they are filthy casuals. I think friends would bring over like Raving Rabbids at parties and those were fun but again not actually interesting.

Nintendo's never been good with their digital content or making much of their back catalogue accessible which sucks because other developers are so good with that kind of thing and Microsoft at least seems determined to make it so you can play any X Box game you've ever bought on whatever their current console happens to be. Nintendo has always been the more heavy handed company when compared to it's competitors but they've got the most popular IPs in video gaming so i guess they can get away with it.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:20 am Oh I know that game, Game Grumps played it. It looks fun but not interesting, if that makes any sense.
I also told you about it. It's a fun game, I used to go over to A's house when I was working in the call centre, a big group of us, and we'd chill and play games- Portal, Katamari, Mario Party, etc. :swirly:
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's a relaxing, zone-out kind of game. I really enjoy it.

Saaades, make him play it. Make him. Then he will know how relaxing it is!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I know how relaxing it is goddamnit! I watched Game Grumps play it.

I actually wouldn't mind playing Portal 2 together but that would require her to play a game with me.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Clay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 pm Saaades, make him play it. Make him. Then he will know how relaxing it is!

HE WILL RELAAAAAX

*Angry ancient chicken noises*

Hound wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:05 am I actually wouldn't mind playing Portal 2 together but that would require her to play a game with me.
LET'S BUY ARK again \o/

I play games with you! We like some very different types of games tho. Plus I still have the mental scars from our round of Kirby's Dream Course to deal with :p

We could try Civ again (was it Civilization we were playing? I forget). It was so freaking slow, though.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I've actually gotten to the point where my backlog was so bad for TV Shows, comics, games etc that I've sort of given up on it all.
I stopped cold on Arrow, Gotham, Supergirl, Flash etc.
Stopped reading DC comics regularly about mid 2018 and even my backlog of graphic novels aren't enticing me at all.
Games I dip in and out of (Spiderman and God of War broke my "I'll play for five minutes, that'll do" cycle but since then it's back to quick blasts of games when the mood takes.
If this is what getting older is like then I'm not for it.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh man, my backlog of shows in even more ridiculous than games. I'm making my way through Classic Dr. Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, several anime, Star Wars Clone Wars all while trying to keep up on whatever new Marvel and Star Wars shows end up on Disney+ and a few other shows on Netflix.

As for Comics I'm not really able to keep up on it but I heard that DC is going to be rolling out a digital subscription service and am thinking I just might do that. I think Marvel already has one but I'm not sure if it's available in Canada, and I might get signed up for both.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Hound wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:10 pm As for Comics I'm not really able to keep up on it but I heard that DC is going to be rolling out a digital subscription service and am thinking I just might do that. I think Marvel already has one but I'm not sure if it's available in Canada, and I might get signed up for both.
I never really saw the appeal of things like comixology until I realised how many long boxes I have accumulated over the last few years. The fact I have a very full bookcase of graphic novels also doesn't help!
I like the feel of the books in hand, but the space... My god... The space
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm right there with you TBH. I love having the physical media in hand whether it's games, books or video and yeah space is a concern especially considering the weight of a long box full of comics. However, that all said, what it mostly comes down to is cost. There are a LOT of comics I want to read and I absolutely cannot afford to buy physical copies of everything I want to read. Marvel Unlinited is available in Canada and DC Universe Infinite will be and they are pretty reasonably priced so I'm probably going to signing up for them soon.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I am 100% for this development, because I hate clutter.

I hate clutter, but being a collector I get it. But I still hate clutter.

I'm going to go back in time and start collecting Reboot merch. That was an entertaining show.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've generally come to the conclusion that reading comics on a large monitor is a better experience, and if someone had bothered to scan eg the UK Essential X-Men reprints I'd get shot of them in a heartbeat (as it is, the idea of having the first however many years of them since 1995 (I think V1 and V2) to maybe blog about has never become a priority and probably never will -- I don't think it's a project anyone else has done, and I probably know enough about X-Men to make a reasonable hash, but time). My other half expressed an interest rather than just chucking them, but hasn't looked at them in years.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Denyer wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:46 pm I've generally come to the conclusion that reading comics on a large monitor is a better experience
See it's not the same for me. I so prefer holding the book in my hand and being able to carry it around to wherever I feel like reading. I have a tablet so it works out.

I'm looking forward to catching up on all the X-Men and Iron Man I've missed out on in the last 10 years. Also a whole bunch of New 52 stuff I missed out on.
Esohes
Protoform

Post by Esohes »

Of course, it's better on a larger monitor, I even press the F11 button to make it even bigger. I cannot imagine reading or playing on a small monitor, this is just awful in my opinion, and you don't get the maximum experience from it.
Last edited by Esohes on Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
joseprobe
Protoform

Post by joseprobe »

That is a nice list of games. Out of the list, I would like to say that the Ezio trilogy is probably the best. At least the first two are considered a classic and bring so many memories.
Last edited by joseprobe on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hound

Post by Hound »

It's hard to beat an open world exploration game that takes place in renaissance Italy. That's enough to make me love those games but when you have a compelling story with a player character as charismatic as Ezio it's one of the most perfect set of games I've ever played.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is the first game in the series I played that I actually finished (I played a bit of the first one and fourth one and I just couldn't get into them) I love Kassandra she's a great protagonist and the Cult of Kosmos and the War between Athens and Sparta is an interesting setting and interesting villains with plenty of real life characters in the story. I love the since of adventure and fun that game has while having a serious personal story for Kassandra and her family. You can play as Alexious her brother but since she is the canon "Eagle Bearer" established in the current game, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla is good but feels like a rehash of Odyssey especially with the leader of the Order of the Ancients main goal, and while the Order was in the Assassin's Cred Odyssey: The Legend of the First Blade there they were presented as an even more dangerous group that the Cult was and here they're mostly pissed-off pagan peasants who hate the Vikings and Christians with equal measure with only their Zealots and a few top leaders as any kind of threats the rest are just peasants. The story is bit slower and Eivor isn't as interesting as Kassandra some of it is that while you can play Eivor as female or male, the default setting actually switches the gender depending on the missions. That is why female Eivor has a deep voice and more masculine features. Now there are a lot of things that I like a lot better. The leveling up of weapons and armor has a cap and they also change appearance as you upgrade them. The building of the town of Ravensthrope is a lot of fun and you can establish long term romantic relationships with some of the characters in the town (although Randvi seems to be the one pushed the hardest) I love the mini-games one is a dice/token game and I find Flyting (which are basically Viking Rap Battles) a lot of fun, I hate that damn drinking game and the fact that it's used to find a member of The Order and member of the Children of Danu in the Wrath of the Druids DLC is really annoying but if save just before you do them and have the determination you will eventually beat them and pick up some of silver as well. There are a LOT of places to go and things to do. I think the combat system is fun. The expansions Wrath of the Druids is very good and The Siege of Paris is really cool.

I just wished that it didn't take itself so seriously, AC:O had a sense of humor and fun and actually had some pretty funny side-quests like Age is Just a Number where Kassandra helps a horny old woman try to get an elixir for her husband who can't get it up anymore (and the outcome is quite interesting) and Family Values where a guy has locked himself in a cage fearing he will kill parents and wants Kassandra to get his sword and shield from thief and the blacksmith it's a darkly funny story. Then are The Lost Tales of Greece DLC which are DLC side-quests that range from philosophical and moral dilemmas to one that is basically a romantic drama/comedy,

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: The Fate of Atlantis expansion is just straight up bonkers and if you think about it too much might be one of the most meta stories ever told it's so meta that might be a parody of meta commentary in general. But has Kassandra going to Elysium, The Underworld, and Atlantis and she meets Persephone, Hermes, Hekate, Hades, Poseidon, and some other Greek demigods.

Both games have some breathtaking locations and really tries to recreate Ancient Greece/Elysium/Underworld/Atlantis and Dark Ages England/Norway/Vinland/Ireland/Asgard as real as they can, the codex in AC:V really adds a lot of historical codex to real kings, Church officials, Viking conquerors and Viking Gods (yes Thor and Loki are in the game) for context as well the ones Ubisoft made up for the game, some good and even great voice acting for the most part.

I highly recommend Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla they both got some flaws, but both are huge open worlds and there is a lot of fun to be had in both games. If don't like Kassandra then you don't have a heart. She is a breath of fresh air and the shot in the arm that the series has needed for a long time, and the fact that she becomes an ageless warrior means she is the new face of the series and she is a lot prettier to look at than Ezio. :p