Its so damn watchable!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Its so damn watchable!

Post by Auntie Slag »

What films can you not help but watch again and again no matter how many times they've been on TV, even if you own the film on other formats?

This happened tonight when I saw Aliens was on one of the channels. I looked at the EPG guide and thought; Nope, not again, not for the hundredth time.

I switched to the channel, put it on silent and was sucked in after a minute. Its got so many good beats. Carter Burke had a great plan, it was only undone by Ripley, but heroic do-gooders like Ripley only exist in films, so perhaps in reality Carter's plan would have succeeded.

So yeah, the question has been asked a million times in the past, but what films can you not resist rewatching into oblivion?

And a sub-question; what films have you LOVED in the past but now recognise them for the piece of crap that they are?I don't have a proper answer for this but I am definitely cheesed off at how much of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy rips off word-for-word and scene-for-scene aspects of Ralph Bakshi's animated version. Also the films should have been chock full of Orc blood. They showed some in Fellowship but none after that; every death was a clean one and no-one emerged from a battle smeared and stinking in black blood and Orc flesh, everyone's sword and axe was clean like it was fresh off the shop floor. I heard the sight of Orc blood was okay because it wasn't red so would pass the censors.
Denyer

Re: Its so damn watchable!

Post by Denyer »

Casually landing on films doesn't really happen, as I don't leave streaming services on live and haven't owned a TV since I was a kid. New films also rarely happen, much less so over the last couple of years not having been near cinemas or friends.

Some go to films include the first Suicide Squad, LXG, Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (all films that people seem to have it in for), the first Hellboy, Fear and Loathing, Ninth Gate, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Alien 3, Highlander, T2, Fifth Element, Ghostbusters, Spaceballs, TF:TM, Princess Bride, Four Weddings, Breakfast Club, Blues Brothers, and probably some more of that vintage I'm forgetting. With musicals (Rocky, Phantom, etc) I tend to prefer cast recordings to movie versions. Some of those are bordering on films I've watched enough that I don't actively re-watch because I know them, and some I haven't seen for a while as this PC doesn't have an optical drive left plugged in and I haven't thought to rip or download them. I should get around to that, but these days I'm more likely to listen to long YouTube videos I can tune in and out of like RPG sessions.

There are a lot more films I like parts of, or the soundtracks of. I'm not likely to watch the Matrix, the Lion King, Blaze of Glory, Trainspotting etc but they're quite definitive films for their genres.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I don't think there's specific films I rewatch anymore- I've fallen into a habit of not rewatching things at all. My kid's been leaning towards going through the Harry Potter stuff, I'm not even really keen on that (though I'll do it for the kiddo once we get around to picking the books up again, currently she's into reading me some Captain Underpants and though it's starting to get tedious I'm just glad she's finally enjoying reading, so I don't want to interrupt that.)

I might go back and re-watch some Seinfeld at some point. And maybe some Friends- I like old sitcoms. Oh, shit, maybe Gilmore Girls. That was definitely a comfort show for me, though I think it's stupid as shit now I'd definitely still watch it.

I've been thinking about doing a run-through of the Marvel films, but I want to wait until kiddo is less terrified by action movies so we can do it together.
DavisLu
Protoform

Post by DavisLu »

I don't usually watch movies, but there is a tradition that before Christmas I watch all parts of Harry Potter with my family. I also watch old Marvel movies.
暳彼小星
Protoform

Post by 暳彼小星 »

I like watching movies,all kinds of movies.But those who watch the most and watch it over and over again are Disney, DreamWorks or Pixar .I liked them when I was a child, and now,I still like them. I've seen Shrek countless times,Especially the first. I've seen Coco five times and shared it with everyone.And zootopia, I like this story so much. It's both profound and interesting.

There are other animated films that seem childish now, but I liked watching them when I was a child. I won't deny my past preferences. They represent me at that time.

Of course, limited to animated films, I still can't believe I once liked Twilight...
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ooh missed this thread! The first three Aliens films I can always sit through, along with Back To The Future and T2. There's something evergreen about them and they don't get old despite the amount of times I've seen them. There's few of the Marvel films I can sit through again and again, but Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War, plus the first two Iron Mans I've watched a bunch of times and still enjoy.

Clerks I still find funny (comedies are something I find don't always hold up to rewatch), the first Resident Evil is mindless enjoyable hokum. Oh gosh, Planet Terrror!!! Absolutely love this shockly nonsense with its cool visuals and silly plot about gravy. Most action shooty stuff I can happily sit through - Harry Brown, The Guest, Morgan ... all the sort of solid but gets no audience these days sorts of stuff, I guess.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Zombieland. It's so nice and campy.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

:wave: Hey Shrapnel Clone, I have a vague memory of you mentioning that you had a background role in Shaun of the Dead. Was that you, or was there another Insecticon on this board?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Dunno why, but I’m completely off watching films. My favourite go-tos of the past - Dark Crystal, Forbidden Planet and The Rocky Horror Picture Show - don’t seem to float my boat anymore and I’ve little interest in the rest of my personal collection.

Life, I guess.
Cognizant
Protoform

Post by Cognizant »

Lord of the Rings is an absolute champion in my "again and again" film list.
Join https://kevin.games and start playing just now!
BaileyDoyle
Protoform
Custom Title: TMZ

Post by BaileyDoyle »

I'm a big fan of the movie Alien. Some people have a "Harry Potter" marathon, some people have a "Lord of the Rings" marathon, but I re-watch "Alien" several times a year. And not just one movie, but all of them. First, by diving into the Alien universe every year, I make up for the fact that, as a child, I was forbidden to touch the tantalizing cassette tape in the black box. Another not insignificant reason I really love Ridley Scott and this is his best film. I recently bought mini mood rings! I'll probably mark the occasion with a marathon of the Alien movie series. Gotta hand it to the producers at Fox Studios. They convinced screenwriters Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Schussett to make Officer Ripley a woman. They cast the gorgeous Sigourney Weaver in that role!
Last edited by BaileyDoyle on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Really? Even the newest stuff like Alien: Covenant? I tried watching that the other day and it was hard work. Nothing too wrong with it in theory (apart from then not wearing helmets or masks or suits for protection on an alien planet), but all the good bits just seem to be nothing more than a rehash of the first Alien film, and I’d much rather watch that.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Pretty much every Transformers and Star Trek show (except for Star Trek: Lower Decks and the Live action TF movies).

Others off the top of my head:
Jem and the Holograms
Carmen Sandiego (the Netflix series)
She-Ra and The Princesses of Power (the Netflix series)
The Legend of Korra
The Twilight Zone (the original series)
Night Court
ALF
Battlestar Galactia (both the original series and the reboot)
Farscape
Gargoyles
Macross Plus
Robotech: The Macross War
Gundam (The UC timeline)

Films:
The Transformers: The Movie (1986)
The Fox and The Hound
Anything directed by Orson Welles
Anything directed by James Cameron
Classic Universal Monsters Movies
Classic Hammer Horror Movies
Classic American-International Picture Horror Movies
All MCU Movies
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Auntie Slag wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:51 pm Really? Even the newest stuff like Alien: Covenant? I tried watching that the other day and it was hard work. Nothing too wrong with it in theory (apart from then not wearing helmets or masks or suits for protection on an alien planet), but all the good bits just seem to be nothing more than a rehash of the first Alien film, and I’d much rather watch that.
Covenant is toot. Prometheus I thought was good,apart from leaving a key scene about the engineers eating the bad fruit on the cutting room floor for reasons, so the opening just left me going 'whut now?'.