Why was the Transformers movie 35 anniversary toyline split between Studio series and Kingdom?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Starsaberdub
Protoform

Why was the Transformers movie 35 anniversary toyline split between Studio series and Kingdom?

Post by Starsaberdub »

Does anyone here know why?
Denyer

Re: Why was the Transformers movie 35 anniversary toyline split between Studio series and Kingdom?

Post by Denyer »

You mean Movie '86?

Taking the Rodimus as an example, it doesn't have the same sort of cartoon styling as SS Jazz or SS Hot Rod. It was also destined to flop at that price point and the stock end up with discounters. Cyclonus isn't particularly cartoon style either, so we got a toy colours Selects redeco.

SS '86 is slightly premium cartoon style versions of the characters.
Warcry

Re: Why was the Transformers movie 35 anniversary toyline split between Studio series and Kingdom?

Post by Warcry »

My understanding is that all the '86 movie stuff was originally going to be in WFC part 3, and that they were planning to move on to BW designs in the subsequent line. But their plans for Beast Wars characters got moved up in order to build hype for the original Rise of the Beasts release date (which was originally supposed to be late 2021, I think, before COVID delayed filming), so WFC part 3 became Kingdom and there wasn't room to fit all the '86 movie characters and all the BW ones side by side in the same line. That was what birthed SS86, and led to what Denyer mentioned -- half the cast being done in traditional Generations style and the other half getting more screen-accurate Studio Series releases.

A lot of the fandom are expecting that the likes of Galvatron, Rodimus, Prowl, Cyclonus, Blaster, etc. will all eventually get updated SS86 re-releases as well, which does make sense because they'd probably sell quite well to Sunbow fans.
Starsaberdub
Protoform

Post by Starsaberdub »

Warcry wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:19 pm My understanding is that all the '86 movie stuff was originally going to be in WFC part 3, and that they were planning to move on to BW designs in the subsequent line. But their plans for Beast Wars characters got moved up in order to build hype for the original Rise of the Beasts release date (which was originally supposed to be late 2021, I think, before COVID delayed filming), so WFC part 3 became Kingdom and there wasn't room to fit all the '86 movie characters and all the BW ones side by side in the same line. That was what birthed SS86, and led to what Denyer mentioned -- half the cast being done in traditional Generations style and the other half getting more screen-accurate Studio Series releases.

A lot of the fandom are expecting that the likes of Galvatron, Rodimus, Prowl, Cyclonus, Blaster, etc. will all eventually get updated SS86 re-releases as well, which does make sense because they'd probably sell quite well to Sunbow fans.
So part 3 of the WFC animation would have had the G1 cast meet the future G1 cast?
Do you or anyone else know or have any idea of what that would have been like?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I doubt they'd made any plans for the TV show yet by the time the toyline plans shifted. The decision would have had to have been made a year or two before the toys actually came out, so it would have been well before they got to that point in developing the Kingdom show.
Judith Crabb
Protoform

Post by Judith Crabb »

Hasbro likely split the Transformers movie 35th anniversary toyline between Studio Series and Kingdom to cater to different aspects of Transformers fandom. Studio Series focuses on the live-action movie aesthetic, while Kingdom pays homage to the Beast Wars and Generation 1 eras, including the original animated movie. This provides fans with options to choose from based on their interests and collecting preferences.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Denyer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:25 pm You mean Movie '86?

Taking the Rodimus as an example, it doesn't have the same sort of cartoon styling as SS Jazz or SS Hot Rod. It was also destined to flop at that price point and the stock end up with discounters. Cyclonus isn't particularly cartoon style either, so we got a toy colours Selects redeco.

SS '86 is slightly premium cartoon style versions of the characters.
Warcry wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:19 pm My understanding is that all the '86 movie stuff was originally going to be in WFC part 3, and that they were planning to move on to BW designs in the subsequent line. But their plans for Beast Wars characters got moved up in order to build hype for the original Rise of the Beasts release date (which was originally supposed to be late 2021, I think, before COVID delayed filming), so WFC part 3 became Kingdom and there wasn't room to fit all the '86 movie characters and all the BW ones side by side in the same line. That was what birthed SS86, and led to what Denyer mentioned -- half the cast being done in traditional Generations style and the other half getting more screen-accurate Studio Series releases.

Warcry wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:51 am I doubt they'd made any plans for the TV show yet by the time the toyline plans shifted. The decision would have had to have been made a year or two before the toys actually came out, so it would have been well before they got to that point in developing the Kingdom show.
Judith Crabb wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:31 am Hasbro likely split the Transformers movie 35th anniversary toyline between Studio Series and Kingdom to cater to different aspects of Transformers fandom. Studio Series focuses on the live-action movie aesthetic, while Kingdom pays homage to the Beast Wars and Generation 1 eras, including the original animated movie. This provides fans with options to choose from based on their interests and collecting preferences.

Well everyone, thank you for all of the input in regards to the different versions of each of the most prominent TF action figures. I had the same questions as well, and all of these answers seem pretty accurate. As a guy that loves detail when it comes to technology and art, I almost always go for the most sophisticated items out there. :cool: :D
:devil: Image :angel: