Star Wars:The Clone Wars

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
13thScorpio

Star Wars:The Clone Wars

Post by 13thScorpio »

Anyone seen it?Like it,don't?Could care less either way(I suppose).

I found it rather amusing movie.Nice high body count for a PG movie and unlike all the other SW movies,just kept the fast pace straight to the end. And the droids were endlessly funny.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I think it looks pretty enjoyable:up: Also my dad works in advertising (well he maintains bus shelter advertisings but hey) and he got me the entire set of the large 6ft posters so im happy.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I thought it was thoroughly mediocre.

I had no idea who Pythona was, how Obiwan immediately knew she was responsible, why there are now three Sith... and really didn't care.

The gay Hutt was fairly embarassing. The comedy was way off, the dialogue awful (I was stunned to see in the credits that Lucas hadn't written it... house style or what). No notable character arc... just a series of skits tacked together with random guest star of the scene.

Almost as if it was a bunch of tv episodes pasted together and given a theatrical release. Oh, wait.

And what was with nobody saying anything whenever Anakin was referred to as a Master? Considering how sore a point it was in Ep III, I'd think somebody would comment.

Blah.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Halfshell wrote:I had no idea who Pythona was,

Haven't seen it yet. I'll probably go since it sounds like fun.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

:wall:
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Halfshell wrote::wall:
You mean that picture with absolutely no words didnt answear your question?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Does anyone actually care about new Star Wars now? I'm also fairly put off by the fact that, whilst I can understand recasting for a TV show, there aren't more of the proper cast in it. Is Frank Oz really that expensive?
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I saw it today, I was basically asleep during the first half an hour... you know the kinda sleep where you can hear everything going on, but it makes no sense, just a doze.

It was ok, I enjoyed the animation, and I very much love stuff that has cool action scenes with the Clone Troopers in (I just love the designs) but there was alot that did annoy me. The continuing need for everything Yoda says to be messed up and Jabbas uncle annoyed the hell outta me
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

Yeah,Jabba's uncle was annoying.And that third Sith coming out of nowhere gave me pause,but,what the hell,Anakin had an apprentice.Made as much sense as anything else in the movie.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Halfshell wrote::wall:
What?! No obscure GI Joe reference points?
Clay

Post by Clay »

I found the following review more entertaining than I probably would the film, should I ever accidentally see it.

http://www.avclub.com/content/cinema/st ... clone_wars
Reviewed by Tasha Robinson
August 14th, 2008

When viewers think an animated film looks cheap, they frequently complain that it resembles a mere videogame, but as videogames get more visually sophisticated, that insult carries less weight. It's more of a problem when a film feels like a videogame, which implies a story that's more fun to play through than watch. Unfortunately, there's no interactive option for Star Wars: The Clone Wars, a CGI follow-up to Cartoon Network's Emmy-winning 2003 Clone Wars TV/webisode series, and a prelude to the CGI TV series The Clone Wars. And with its simple-goal-driven plot, its wordy, cutscene-like interludes, and its stiffly modeled characters, it wouldn't even make for a particularly high-end videogame.

Like the 2003 series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars takes place after the events of Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones, and assumes a high level of Star Wars familiarity. When Count Dooku (voiced by Christopher Lee, one of very few players briefly reprising their live-action film roles) kidnaps Jabba The Hutt's son and frames the Republic, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Anakin's arrogant new padawan Ahsoka have to find and return the "Huttlet" and unravel Dooku's plot. As with so many videogames, this one includes numerous side quests that vary in nature but play out similarly: Whether the characters are defending a city, assaulting a fortress, or crossing a desert, they wind up lightsaber-hacking through hordes of comically stupid robots. Still, the road to victory is complicated, eventually leading to a mincing transvestite Hutt who sounds disturbingly like Carol Channing.

For a while, the Clone Wars movie (which producer George Lucas openly admits was "almost an afterthought" to the TV show) gets along on speed, visual novelty, and Lucas touches like the old-fashioned scene wipes and rich audio track. Ahsoka even serves as a quality addition to the Star Wars universe; her cocky recklessness rivals Anakin's, which brings him out of his usual sulk. But as the story grinds on, repetition weighs down their banter and their battles, and every "level" feels the same. And where the 2003 Clone Wars (helmed by Samurai Jack/Dexter's Laboratory mastermind Genndy Tartakovsky, who's notably absent here) had the sense to concentrate on crisp action and Jedi ass-kickery, the latest iteration is pure Lucas: talky, flashy, and focused on juvenile relationships. It's better than an unimportant filler plot arc in an already-completed story has any right to be, but as with videogames, there's no real reason for it to be on the big screen, instead of viewed in the comfort of home.

A.V. Club Rating: C+
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I was kinda afraid of it being good or bad. I have to admit, I enjoyed the serial cartoon better - and it was a very good fanfic creation compared to what Lucas can come up with. I sadly won't see this movie because I still have mixed feelings about anything Lucas-Related (mainly the choice of Anakin in episodes 1-3, and that idiotic Jar Jar!).
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

13thScorpio wrote:Yeah,Jabba's uncle was annoying.And that third Sith coming out of nowhere gave me pause,but,what the hell,Anakin had an apprentice.Made as much sense as anything else in the movie.
By the "third sith" do you mean Ventress?? The female?

If so then she didnt really come out of nowhere, if you mean in terms of the storyline I think she was watching what was going on for a while, and if you mean in terms of the whole saga, she was introduced in the earlier Clone Wars animated series.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

CounterPunch wrote:By the "third sith" do you mean Ventress?? The female?
Ohhhhhhhhhh. I'm guessing she's also the one Brendocon was referring to as Pythona. I thought there was an actual villain named Pythona. Guess that explains the head banging against the wall.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

RID Scourge wrote:What?! No obscure GI Joe reference points?

Isn't that a bit like describing Unicron as an obscure G1 reference?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I was thinking obscure in terms of if you ask a guy on the street he'd probably know Snake Eyes, Duke and Cobra Commander if he's seen GI Joe, but probably wouldn't have any clue as to who Pythona was.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

I watched every episode of G.I. Joe as a kid at least twice and the movie more times than I care to remeber, and I didn't remeber who Pythona was.
Of course I don't remeber much before the accident.

As for the Clone Wars, I'm still debating as to whether to go and see it in theaters or wait until it's on Cartoon Network HD.

And speaking of HD, BBC America needs to start broadcasting in HD so I can watch Top Gear in HD. It has quickly become one of my absolute favorite shows, and I know shit about cars.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Baxter wrote: And speaking of HD, BBC America needs to start broadcasting in HD so I can watch Top Gear in HD. It has quickly become one of my absolute favorite shows, and I know shit about cars.
That's the thing about Top Gear, it's the car show for people who don't like cars. Grud knows what people who take the horseless carriage seriously think of it...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

The ones I know love it too.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Halfshell wrote: And what was with nobody saying anything whenever Anakin was referred to as a Master? Considering how sore a point it was in Ep III, I'd think somebody would comment.

Blah.
If you mean no one in the movie said anything (i haven't seen it), then you should recheck your timeline. As much as this happened after Ep II, didn't it occur to anyone this is (i think) before Ep III?

I mean, yeah, we've watched Ep III, but the characters aren't really supposed to know that are they? So maybe no one had the knowledge to speak up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]