Religion.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ulticron
Protoform

Religion.

Post by Ulticron »

Since it doesn't seem like there's gonna be a quick return to the everyday general posting, i simply thought i'd throw out another argumentative subject.

Religion. What is yours and how did you come to choose your religion? What are some ideals that are core to your everyday existance?

Right now i'm an atheist, i've been one for several yrs now. Before that i was a very devout christian during my youth. Why the change you ask. Lots of reasons, i live in a very rural place, ppl are hypocrites and honestly the christians here give the religion a very bad name, that fused w/the fact i've been into computers and science for yrs, and the fact i've gotten some raw deals from christians while i was one myself really hurt me. Do i hate christians? NO! I believe that everyone can get along if they don't try to push themselves on one another, i believe that you should live up to your own moral standards not other ppls or force yours on other ppl. I think i've succeded to some small extent in my efforts over the years. I have friends of all faiths, christianity, wicca, atheism. I think i can have varied friends because when i'm with them, they're not christian, wicca or atheist, they're just themselves and what i like about them, and that's what we focus on an that's all that matters, and honestly that's all that should matter.
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Religion = Political word for 'My faith is better then yours'

I have a faith. Faith there is a god but it's none of the ones that Muslims Jews and Christians say there are.
Denyer

I'm honest...

Post by Denyer »

...enough to admit that I don't have all the answers. I lean toward aspects of Buddhism, Wicca and Christianity.

I dislike religion because its inherently exclusory methodologies, and because people have a nasty habit of turning into collective morons when gathered in groups of more than one lone individual. ;)

I think faith, on the other hand, is a wonderful thing. :)

edit: That was a great first line, Blaster! Shall have to remember that...
Reverend Shrapnel

Post by Reverend Shrapnel »

Religion to me seems like a way of exploiting the masses and keeping them in line...Some Christians that I've encountered make me very wary. I got into a debate with a street preacher once and he started going on about how 'horrible' and 'dirty' the Arabs were. Very caring, loving and considerate...:rolleyes: He then had the cheek to tell me God loved everyone but was punishing the Arabs etc.

Their stance on homosexuality (as we've seen on here) also seems odious to me.

Sadly I don't really have 'faith' in anything...
I've only just realised my sig's been horribly misspelled for about a year or two. Aren't you happy you read that? While you're here, erm, impeach Nixon!
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

I was raised Jewish, and really I still consider myself such; I observe the holidays and so forth. But I'm not what you'd call a practicing Jew, and I'm critical of my religion as well as that of others. I am also not like many Jews, in being blind to what Israel is doing right now is not the way to peace. But that's another topic entirely. :)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I am without religion. I have no faith.

I refuse to accept something as truth on the basis that I've been told it's true.

I don't believe, but I have a very good idea. (paraphrased from "Dogma")
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Originally posted by Brendocon

I refuse to accept something as truth on the basis that I've been told it's true.

ditto

oh yeah, religion, don't mention Zoe, aaaarrgghh!
join me on myspace!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jezzy_bravo

if you get chance check out my eBay auctions...... http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjezzy_bravoQQhtZ-1
The Plant
Protoform

Post by The Plant »

What can be proven I can truly believe. When asked to have faith in something that cannot be proven, that person's request falls on deaf ears. I too have friends of all faiths. My atheist friend refers to God as the invisible man in the sky. I admit, the more I think about that saying, the more I lean toward his views. I am not a Christian, nor any other religion for that matter, for I have no complete faith in any of them. Though I have been to church only three or so times I guess that I am more Christian than any other religion. I pray at meals (when I remember to) to God, for I believe that He, or some other superior being, has to exist, I have to believe that much for my sake. Sadly this is the majority of the extent of my "faith". I have set (decently high) moral standards for myself and I follow them "religiously". This probably contributes to my being a loner. Organized religion, especially Christianity kind of frightens me. To me it seems eerily cultlike. This is only my opinion, you may disagree, or I may just be wrong.:)
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good...and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Overall, Christianity, moreso the Catholic branch of Christianity gets a lot of flack. Is it deserved? Sometimes, but every other group, wether it be a religion or culture has commited atrocities in its time. The problem is that because Christianity is a religion, people can't let go of what they have done. Another religion to get flack has been Islam. There are people who believe that Muslims are terrorists. I don't think that they are.

As a Catholic, I sometimes listen to the religion for guidance, but if something doesn't fit with my conscience, then I ignore it. For example, I think that confession is kind of ridiculous. Why should I have a middleman when I'm asking for forgiveness?

There are some bad Christians, but there are also good ones who know how to be decent.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I'm a Christian.

Everything in my life that I've seen has told me that there has to be something more to life than science. From what I've studied of other religions, Christianity seems to be the only one that makes sense to me. That is why I'm a Christian.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

I am a Christian.

For me, it seems that it is implausible that the universe would exist without the presence of God. All the variables that are in perfect alignment such that life as we know it may exist could not have happened by chance.

Not to mention that Christianity fills the void in one's soul. It may sound cliche but it's true. All to often people attack Christianity, but if they spent the time to actually study it, they would realize that the teachings are well, great. That's not to say that abuses haven't happened in the past, but don't let that fog over the good that has occured. Whether it's pursuing social justice, helping the downtrodden etc, Christianity serves to help mankind. Christ's message is one of love and justice.

Now of course there are bad Christians etc, but please don't make the mistake of assuming those are representative of the whole. .
Strafe. You're a dick. Ishin_ookami - Dec 1st 2003
The uiltmate prime fan
Protoform

Post by The uiltmate prime fan »

i perfer the term, "religously unafiliated" for what i am.
usually, i try to write some sort of inspirational bullsh*t here, but i suspect that wont fly.

the strong should always protect the weak and those who cant defend themselves. any that dont have no honor.
Denyer

Wouldn't...

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Strafe
Not to mention that Christianity fills the void in one's soul.
...that be "Christian teachings", not Christianity?

In fact, what is Christianity? What is being a Christian? (Serious questions — and yes, there are two separate questions there.)
Strafe

Re: Wouldn't...

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
...that be "Christian teachings", not Christianity?

In fact, what is Christianity? What is being a Christian? (Serious questions — and yes, there are two separate questions there.)
A Christian is simply a follower of Christ. Of his teachings and accpetance that he is the son of God.

Christianity would be the set of beliefs and teachings of Christ.

Now of course there are multiple interpretations of his teachings...but I'm so not in the mood for arguing against fundamentalism today...
RID Scourge

Re: Re: Wouldn't...

Post by RID Scourge »

A Christian is simply a follower of Christ. Of his teachings and accpetance that he is the son of God.

That's the long and short of it. Well said.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Originally posted by Brendocon

Once again that guy responds with the answer I would have used
Denyer

Not the...

Post by Denyer »

...organisation of the practise of those beliefs? I always try to be quite clear which I'm talking about. Christian means something emphatically distinct and rather more wholesome than Christianity, as far as I'm concerned. It lacks the historical dimension, for one thing.

Would you consider that all teachings of Christ must be followed to be a Christian, or if not, where do you draw the line?

It strikes me that the majority of people who tick the box for "Christian" on application forms do so by default, not because of any actual belief or practise.
The Green Knight

Post by The Green Knight »

Agnostic.
dai-atlas2000
Protoform

Post by dai-atlas2000 »

What am I? Unsure, thats what.

I was raised within the Christain faith, my mum used to take me and my brother to church when we kids. Then when i was in school i used to go to things like S.U (Scripture Union). However I never really embraced the whole bible thing like some of my friends did.

I found that as i grew up I found that i became more and more disolutioned with the whole faith thing. I've been able to understand why: If the Christain God is a God of love, then why does he allow so many people to suffer in the way that he does? Also, if we are to believe that God has predetermined the futures of us all, why then would he allow many of to go to hell after we die?

Also, as many will know, Northern Ireland is hardly a quiet place when it comes to religion. Religion is the excuse for all the killing, violence and unrest in this country - and why i ask myself? Because two very similar Christain groups believe in worshiping THE SAME GOD slightly differently. People then use religion as a a weapon to claim superiority over the other side. If there's a God, why would he allow faith in faith to cause so much unhappiness??? I've asked these questions to many of my Christain friends and the only answer I get is: "God moves in mysterious ways" or soemthing of that nature. Which to be honest, isn't really good enough.

What i've come to realise is that the whole "faith" idea, although wonderful in theory, is in reality the human belief that we, as an intelligent species must be on this Earth for a purpose. I'll not lie, I'm a scientist, I believe in science and far too often science is more convincing than the thigns which the bible tells us.

I, however, have to admit that I am a bit jealous of those with faith. Having faith always gives you someone to turn to, the idea that there is always someone there no matter waht you do is a very uplifting and encouraging notion. Its a notion which i wish i could embrace, but its one i don;t think i'll ever have enough faith to believe in.

Something else which I'd like toa dd which i think someone else already mentioned here is the way which these religions "recruit" new members. In particular christain youth organisizations, of which i used to attend semi-regular when i was younger actually quite scare me now. Maybe it is wrong of me to say it, but now these organisations feel more like brainwashing sessions which feel very cult-like: Follow God or be commited to the fires of hell.

Also, I hate the way the Christain religion damns the other religions. So, how is this god of love allowing people born into other faiths to go to hell just because they aren't part of the right religion???:rolleyes: - Also, anyone notice how the same religion changes through time - different thigns come and go, different ways of getting to God depend on following the right rituals depending on different peoples interpretations of the same textual material - so which is the right interpretation.

So, in answer to your question - do i have faith? Maybe, but if so, it is weak.
Personally I think religion has a lot to answer for. It poses too many questions which it fails to answer and for that reason i believe my faith shall remain weak :confused:
Dai
(offical tea-boy and unofficial Alt ID of Snake)
RARRRR!!RR!!RRR!R!
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Originally posted by dai-atlas2000
If the Christain God is a God of love, then why does he allow so many people to suffer in the way that he does? Also, if we are to believe that God has predetermined the futures of us all, why then would he allow many of to go to hell after we die?
Free will. It's not God's fault that a criminal fires a gun and kills an innocent. In our example the man pulled the trigger. He is responsible for his actions. It's a cop-out to blame God for everything. Put responsibility where it lies. We make the mistakes, we pay for em.
Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Would you consider that all teachings of Christ must be followed to be a Christian, or if not, where do you draw the line?

Yes, all would have to be followed. However it is like a tree. The trunk of the tree is the acceptance of Christ the messiah. Then other things stem from that, i.e. the sacredness of life, inherent respect for others etc. So I guess you start at the bottom and then work your way up. But it is a "packaged deal" It's not like you can take one part, and ignore the other and still be called a Christian. For instance you can't accept Christ as your savior, and then go and commit genocide or racism. It's hypocritcal and would go against what Christ preaches.

It strikes me that the majority of people who tick the box for "Christian" on application forms do so by default, not because of any actual belief or practise.

That's true. It's the same with political parties to an extent as well. Their parents were "x" party, so their kids do the same etc.

[/b]