Is bigger better?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Vincent
Protoform

Is bigger better?

Post by Vincent »

Do you think an increase in size is enough to add 10 or 20 bucks to a toy?

This occured to me after ClaJetfire. My initial assumption was that since he's a Voyager, not only is he bigger, but he's also more detailed and more articulate.

Jetfire did have a bit of both on him, but in my personal opinion not enough to warrant him the size of a Voyager. Would've been better as a Deluxe.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had to choose between toys that are identical in every aspect, I'd definitely go for the smaller. Unless it had an amazing amount of detail which wouldn't leave any gaps.

Thoughts?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

For your example, I'd say you picked the wrong classics voyager. Prime is the smallest one, at least Jetfire has the huge backpack.

It really depends on the figure. For example, Cybertron Starscream. I just can't see myself getting the 50 bucks one, not for the price, but because he just doesn't fit in that size range. Had no qualms getting the Voyager one.

However, I'd get an ultra\leader Blackout in a heartbeat if it made it at least a head taller than Voyager Starscream.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Glitcher
Protoform

Post by Glitcher »

Considering Jetfire is taller than the other Transformers, I think Voyager class suits him like a glove. Deluxe class just wouldn't do him justice when propped up next to his fellow Autobots. Anyway, I don't usually think of an increase in size as an increase in detail, but of the articulation and the complexity of the transformation involved. The Masterpiece figures are a good example of this, but if Hasbro release a giant brick that can only rotate at the shoulders, I really don't see the point.

PS. I paid the same twenty euros for Jetfire as every other Classics figure.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I agree and disagree. For money reasons, I much prefer to get a Deluxe size, especially if there's good articulation. On the other hand, I don't mind spending an extra $10 for a Voyager, provided it's a good Voyager. I really enjoy my Classics Jetfire and Cybertron Soundwave, and I think they're appropriately sized.

But then you have the random ones like Movie Brawl in Deluxe size, then months later Hasbro releases Brawl in Leader Class. I don't own either one, but is it worth the extra $30 for the Leader?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Actually, in my experience 'bigger' usually translates to 'worse'. A lot of the toys in the Armada/Energon/Cybertron lines were big just for the sake of being big, and would have been a lot better off getting downsized one price point.

I have to disagree with your example, though. I think Jetfire is one of the few Voyager-sized toys I own that actually deserve to be at that price point. Someone like, I dunno...Vector Prime, could be downsized without losing any features (although the useless battery-powered sound box would probably be tossed. A deluxe-sized Jetfire, on the other hand, probably would have ended up being a simple jet without most of the accessories that make Classics Jetfire so good to begin with.
Glitcher
Protoform

Post by Glitcher »

Originally posted by ganon578
But then you have the random ones like Movie Brawl in Deluxe size, then months later Hasbro releases Brawl in Leader Class. I don't own either one, but is it worth the extra $30 for the Leader?
On that note, I feel a little jaded by Hasbro releasing multiple sizes of the same character within the space of a few months just to get as much movie merchandise on the shelves as possible. Now we have an Ultimate Bumblebee that towers over Leader class Optimus Prime. What next? A Micromaster version of Unicron? :rolleyes:
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

For your example, I'd say you picked the wrong classics voyager. Prime...

I didn't know Prime was a voyager. I'd really like an Ultra Magnus one, though. I keep seeing this Megatron and Prime double pack. Megs is a tank though, and Prime is not the same kind of truck.

I'd also agree about Starscream. You point out an important aspect which is the relation of size in regards to the character. Besides, he's too huge. I said the same thing about Armada Unicron.

Out of curiousity, does Cybertron's Starscream have the same transformation scheme of the Legends Sunstorm? I ask because, although the transformation is appropriate for a Legends, though not really for an Ultimate. (I got Legends Sunstorm yesterday, and he's quite nifty. Nifty is an apt word for a Legends figure.)

Considering Jetfire is taller than the other Transformers,...

You're right, but personally that doesn't change my idea that he's not a very good voyager.
But then you have the random ones like Movie Brawl in Deluxe size,...

In that figure's defense, I hear that the Deluxe class is absolutely horrid. The Leader class, however, I hear nothing but praise for, which actually makes him a must-buy in my case. If I see him, I'll consider it, that is.

But you're right, I don't know why they released Leader Brawl. My only theory was that they heard bad things about Deluxe Brawl and decided to give it another try. Or maybe they realized Leader was more appropriate after releasing the first figure.
A deluxe-sized Jetfire, on the other hand, probably would have ended up being a simple jet without most of the accessories that make Classics Jetfire so good to begin with.

I guess you're right about one thing. The accessories are important. I don't know what I'd do if I bought a Jetfire without those. =)
Now we have an Ultimate Bumblebee that towers over Leader class Optimus Prime.

I thought Ultimate BB was a joke. I don't know how big he is, but considering the descriptions he's way too big.

Now, if they released a life-size version of Prime or any other figure...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

(I got Legends Sunstorm yesterday, and he's quite nifty. Nifty is an apt word for a Legends figure.)

I just got Sunstorm recently too, and he's phenomenal for a Legends figure. Or nifty. Either way he's good.

I also get your point about Brawl Deluxe/Leader. I just don't see why they didn't shoot for the middle on him and put out a Voyager. But maybe it was a sales thing and decided people might not want to buy him for $20 since he doesn't do much in the movie besides wreck things at the end.