Well,the RNC is off to a great start...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
13thScorpio

Well,the RNC is off to a great start...

Post by 13thScorpio »

http://wcco.com/rnc/republican.national ... 07452.html

Does this happen at the Dem's at all?
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Not to my knowledge, no. It's shocking though, from what I skimmed of the article it seems the protesters associated with the violence were too cowardly to reveal their faces. That will cost that particular city money to clean up, and cause more of a police-state society due to them acting out. It's like the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) being environmentalists, yet burn down homes and car dealerships. It just hurts the anti-war/anti-violence movement for people who are the non-violent and peaceful individuals. What a sad time to live in.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I guess that I'm not the only one who has lost faith in the peace protests.
it took on more of a parade-like feel than an electricity-charged protest. Marchers sang and danced with carnival-like music in the background as they made the turn by the Xcel Energy Center and headed back to the Capitol. There were few signs of tension or anger.
Besides, they could have turned up with guns if they had wanted to. It seems that most of the casualties were the result of the police.

Springer007 wrote:What a sad time to live in.
Indeed, albeit perhaps more in the sense of disillusion. Would this have any effect at the RNC?
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

True, could have shown up with weapons. I also feel the police are limited anymore in what they can and cannot do when it comes to protests. The whole Rodney King thing brings back bad memories of how things could have been done better, but the guy was on drugs, then the riots that followed. Two different incidents, but different outcomes in terms of collateral damage. And I doubt this will affect the RNC, they will just use it as ammo for the Democrats later on, which everyone knows sometimes these violent protesters might not be from the Left at all, and just trying to stir up trouble all-in-all.

*** This might also make the RNC the "good" guys solely because they could say these violent protests mean they are doing the "right" thing.

-Space Marines
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

My paranoid side is tempted to agree that some of the violent protesters may well have been plants to make the rest look bad.

However, it's equally likely that U.S. left-wingers are just demonstrating their incredible ability to shoot themselves (or their cause) in the foot. Someone needs to sit a lot of them down and explain that you don't win hearts and minds by pissing people off. All this does is help make Republicans look the party of sensible, sober and safe people.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Rossum wrote:All this does is help make Republicans look the party of sensible, sober and safe people.
Not while the Jerry Fallwells* of the country are still more vocal than the fiscal conservatives.

*Yes, I know that son of a bitch is dead.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Sir Auros wrote:Not while the Jerry Fallwells* of the country are still more vocal than the fiscal conservatives.

*Yes, I know that son of a bitch is dead.
I should have been more clear - it provides confirmation for people who already tend to see things that way, and makes it easier for them to ignore arguments from Democrats. They're the party of crazy hippies, why should we ever listen to them, things like that.

Sort of like the ELF mentioned above, or PETA. They stand for good causes, but use out-there/violent methods that they do more harm than good by giving people an excuse to ignore or disparage the cause entirely.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I knew what you meant, and I know it's an issue. I just couldn't resist.

I wonder how many of these people actually are involved with the party, though. I wouldn't be surprised if these self-described anarchists only show up to tear shit up, and if the extent of their political involvement is stuff like this.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

About three hundred are going to court for the violent protest
Link http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/02/ ... index.html

Looks like most are getting misdemeanors, while over 100 are getting felonies.
Was there any type of protest like this one four years ago?
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Welcome to my home kids...
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

You ever watch a Minnesota Wild game?

You'd be angry and violent too...
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

This is why I am afraid one day the right to protest peacefully will be revoked. As Mussolini once said *paraphrasing* "You will appreciate the freedoms once they are taken away from you". Sadly, he did take freedoms away from the Italian people, and he was a smart man, just not in the right ways.

-Space Marines
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Anyone else find it odd that the same loons who preach and preach and preach about abstinence-only sex ed. are now THRILLED that the VP pick has a knocked-up teenage daughter? Is this the same party that was calling for welfare reforms to keep teenage mothers from supporting the kids said party wants to legally prevent from being aborted? I guess it's ok because they're getting married. :wall:
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Sir Auros wrote:Anyone else find it odd that the same loons who preach and preach and preach about abstinence-only sex ed. are now THRILLED that the VP pick has a knocked-up teenage daughter? Is this the same party that was calling for welfare reforms to keep teenage mothers from supporting the kids said party wants to legally prevent from being aborted? I guess it's ok because they're getting married. :wall:
Never underestimate the power of rationalization when defending the people on your side. Palin's daughter is keeping the baby, the kids are getting married (hopefully that was planned before the nomination), so they can now be held up as an example of how to stick to family values despite youthful mistakes.

Fun fact: I went to high school in the town where Sarah Palin was mayor and my folks still live there, so I've gotten an inside look on how this reasoning goes. She's a Real Alaska Woman(tm) and a conservative Republican who also managed to buck the establishment. No matter what screw-ups have occurred during her term as governor (or mayor), people love her because she comes off as one of them, a regular country gal standing up to slick politicians.

I'll bet the GOP is counting on this appeal to work for the rest of the country as well. She's gutsy and likable, and that's enough to compel Republican voters to righteously defend her and her family against any dirt that turns up. For all that the Dems are celebrating this as a disaster, picking her seems like it was a pretty shrewd choice.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

This town?

Ugh, it sounds like she's a religious zealot's wet dream, so no wonder they can rationalize their glee for an unwed teenage mother. I guess it appeals to the pastors' sheep for McCain in a way that him stealing a story from Solzhenitsyn won't.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

She probably appeals to the more moderate Christians along with the zealous ones, since she comes across as very firm in her beliefs without being showy about it. I really hope the Democrats don't underestimate her appeal and get too comfortable.
Sir Auros wrote:This town?
That's the one. :) The slideshow accompanying that article gave me a little twinge of nostalgia when I saw it earlier. I've been trying to talk my parents into going into town to spot journalists.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Blaster wrote:You ever watch a Minnesota Wild game?

You'd be angry and violent too...
Only when the Red Wings are in town...I'm actually shocked the St. Paul connection didn't get more insults slung in my direction.