Do any games really use the Six-Axis of the PS3 controller?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Do any games really use the Six-Axis of the PS3 controller?

Post by Notabot »

I was reading another blurb about the PS4, and it seems like the controller is the thing they are featuring above anything else. They're plugging the touchpad, which is indeed new. But they're also pimping a "Super Sensitive Six-Axis" doohicky. PS3 had the Six-Axis motion sensor in the controllers, but did any games really utilize it that much?

I know some of the Motorstorm games had the option to steer with it if you wanted to frustrate yourself even more than the regular game offered, and Little Big planet kind of let you make your guy dance if you shook it just right, but did any games use it for more than just some throw in differences that it's worth an "improved" version on the new system?
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Only one that springs to mind immediately that used it to any degree was Heavenly Sword ...
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

I seem to recall Warhawk being a game that could put the six-axis to a lot of use, but that was a while ago so I could be wrong.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything that really made a point of using it. I could swear one of the games I have let you use it as an alternate means to activate something, like to block or dodge, but it's such an inconsequential thing I couldn't tell you which game.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

There was probably a couple here or there that did. I seem to remember a buddy of mine saying you could swing the bat in a MLB baseball game long ago, but nothing I ever played seemed to make use of it. Over time I've played a ton of different games across various genres that never used it, nor was it made apparent if it supported it.

For some reason I think the whole Sixaxis control deal came out as a last minute response to the Wiimote at an E3, kind of like a 'me too' moment. I could be wrong on that though.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

That was sort of the impression I got too, that it was in response to the Wii but very underutilized, so I'm curious why it's now one of the showcase features. It felt to me like if the Super Nintendo had touted a Rob unit that was larger and supported 3 gyros.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Metal Gear Solid 4 had it, but you hardly had to use it
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Nobody remembers lair? The game where you play as a dragon and HAD to use it to control the dragon. It was also the only ps3 game I've ever owned that had remote play on a psp. Which made it unplayable as it had no sixaxis in it. Maybe it's best nobody remembers it...

Uncharted 1 also used it to balance on logs and aim grenades, and killzone 2 and 3 used it to turn handles and stuff like that. Then there was flower which is the only time I enjoyed using the sixaxis.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Nobody remembers lair? The game where you play as a dragon and HAD to use it to control the dragon. It was also the only ps3 game I've ever owned that had remote play on a psp. Which made it unplayable as it had no sixaxis in it. Maybe it's best nobody remembers it...

Uncharted 1 also used it to balance on logs and aim grenades, and killzone 2 and 3 used it to turn handles and stuff like that. Then there was flower which is the only time I enjoyed using the sixaxis.
Does Uncharted: Drake's Fortune require Sixaxis? Or is there an option to not use it? I only ask because I got rid of my only Sony-brand controller in favor of an Afterglow wireless for the staggered stick layout, and I plan on playing through the Uncharted series someday.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Yes it does to cross logs and other such things. You have to wiggle it back and forth to keep a meter in the middle or else you fall off, which in turn will not let you advance in the game uncharted 2 and 3 dropped that feature thankfully.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I recall Heavy Rain used it, although the control in that game generally suck.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

The Last Of Us uses it to recharge your flashlight, you shake it like a spray paint can and it even makes the same noise as one.