[CUSTOM] Alt. Frenzy (done)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Alt. Frenzy (done)

Post by Clay »

He's got arms, and a different set than R/eject to boot. Will update again when the painting's finished (which might be a while...)

More later.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

:)
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's not yours! Yours has Skids arms!

Here's the other arm non-mod. This one will stay Rumble and keep his pistons (the arms come off, naturally).

Clay

Post by Clay »

I WORK VERY SLOWLY. :(

MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

Love how you've done the arms, wish I had a spare Rumble to do it to :)

I'm guessing that those are Viper arms from Sideswipe for the Frenzy mod, but what are the removable arms you've used for the Rumble attachments?

Will you be modding the head or leaving it as is, and will you be making Frenzy's weapons weildable?
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's actually the one with the Skids arms. I've decided to leave the one with Viper arms as Rumble.

Have thought about putting notches into the wrists to mount the guns on so Frenzy can go, "pew pew pew," but haven't thought about painting the head. Will get to it last.

Come to think of it, it usually does take about six months between starting a project and finishing it. I know I bought all the figures, stickers, and paint I needed for the Predacons last summer, but didn't get to them until New Years...
superquad7
Protoform
Custom Title: TFW2005 Supermod

Post by superquad7 »

Unless we get one of these from Hasbro (and the way it's looking we're not), I have to give you MAJOR props for inspiration for a future project of my own. That's too cool for school man! That arm mod with the Skids arms is my favorite! AWESOME work man!
Check out my "Transformers: Alterations" by clicking above! (But don't click my homepage!)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Partial reassembly. I think I'm going to have to paint the body since the blue just isn't jiving with the brown. Thoughts?

MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

Maybe a dark navy blue, almost purple for the body might work better, a bit like the colour scheme that they used for Rumble in the cartoon. The legs might work with a drybrushed silver?, but then you run the risk of paint wear (been ages since I transformed my Rumble can't remember where wears the most). I still like the blue that you've used for the car body, another possibility is to have some slightly darker blue highlights on the arms and to a lesser extent on the body, as at the moment I think it's the vast field of brown on the arms that is causing the problem. Also maybe see if you can match the brown and highlight his shins?

Edit: Added a quick and dirty digibash. I think adding a slightly darker blue to break up the brown works quite well.
Attachments
Clay Frenzy Digi.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

I'm actually considering a light gray if I can figure out how to dismantle the torso. Then I could replace the yellow highlights with whatever shade my paint actually is without having to worry about it clashing.

Don't think I could even remotely match the brown color, so that's out.
MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

Grey might work as well, though I think the darker blue highlights in the digibash I did might work as well? See my edit in above post :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

That works, but the kink there is that I have gray paint; I do not have dark blue paint.

I think I've picked up three different blues (dark blue, blue pearl, and Ford Engine blue) trying to find a good balance of light and dark paints, and I'll swear they don't have a shade's difference between them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

The light gray is lighter than I remember!

I was hoping to get it finished this weekend, but it looks as if the work will spill over to Monday... on the bright side, the dark gray will take fewer coats.
Attachments
frenzy 002.jpg
Death Wing
Protoform

Post by Death Wing »

I like the replacement arms. Looks better then the pistons. Interchangeable is possible?
MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

That grey works really especially with the yellow highlights. Will you be painting the shins that colour of grey, or leaving them as is? I can't wait to see this finished :) (May have to try that grey for my Wheeljack to Snarl repaint)
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's too light, I think. I'm going to paint back over it with the darker gray, and then use black where the dark gray is now. It'll match the tone of the dark blue better (which is darker in reality than the pictures w/camera flash suggest).

Plan to paint the shins, yeah. Wanted to figure out how the light gray looks against the blue first before I painted anything more intricate.
I can't wait to see this finished :)
I'm sure Halfshell is even more eager than you :p
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

I think the blue looks fine but the finish looks rough. It looks very orange peely, this is usually caused by holding the airbrush or spraycan too far away from the surface you want painting and by not applying thick enough coats.

I think if you went over it again with a thicker coat that would smooth the orange peel effect out, or lightly rub down the paint thats on it now with some very fine grit sandpaper and then polish out the scratches with car polish or turtle wax, or if you have it some rubbing compound.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Sonray wrote:I think the blue looks fine but the finish looks rough. It looks very orange peely, this is usually caused by holding the airbrush or spraycan too far away from the surface you want painting and by not applying thick enough coats.

I think if you went over it again with a thicker coat that would smooth the orange peel effect out, or lightly rub down the paint thats on it now with some very fine grit sandpaper and then polish out the scratches with car polish or turtle wax, or if you have it some rubbing compound.
It's mostly the picture. Under a bright light, such as the flash on the camera, the the little imperfections are visible, but the texture is smooth to the touch. I don't think it's from holding the airbrush too far back, though: normally when this happens, the reason is that I painted when it was cool outside, making the water in the paint condense more (I use acrylics).

I've already put the clear-coat sealer on, so I'm not going to tempt fate by trying to rework now (it's all dried and in a uniform shade of blue!). But I will experiment more with the next one to see what's causing it.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

nice job clay. I have to say, the paint looks smooth. I think i have one of these commissioned to do also, and wonder...wth i am going to use for forearms. I suppose I should start looking on junk forums for someone who's got an extra pair.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Took a few in progress pictures to show the wonders of sticky putty for masking off areas too small for painters' tape.
Attachments
f05.jpg
f04.jpg
f03.jpg
f02.jpg
f01.jpg