Counter-X - Did that rock or what?!?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Counter-X - Did that rock or what?!?

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've just re-read what I've got of the Counter-X line [all of the X-Force issues, all but one of the X-Man ones, and all of the first two, half of the third, of the Generation X ones], and bloody Heel, it's some fo the best stuff Marvel has ever done. Full respect to Warren Ellis [plus Ian Edgington, Steven Grant and Brian Wood] for turning three very poor books round instantly.

My rants on the Wisdom-led X-Force have been put out before, and I do hate that last page [and the poor continuity with Romany Wisdom], but it's classic stuff for the first 3 and a half storylines. I mean, Cable who?

And X-Man. The only reason I read X-Man after Onslaught was because Nate's fit, But suddenly it's a ****ing unmissable book! The spiral, the Gauntlet, Maddie... and then there's the Qabiri storyline. Read that and tell me Marvl's X-books are commerical crap.

Oh, and they remembered that the Gen X kids aren't cartoons! Brilliant! They have characters!

I can't believe Marvel axed X-Man and Gen X, and kept Cable and Wolverine going...

If you haven't read these books because of past bad impressions, I emplore you to track them down and read them. That's X-Force 102-115, Generation X 63-75, and X-Man 63-75.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Are they in TPB?

Eh, I dunno Cliffy...

Oh and what's wrong with Wolverine? I just finished reading Wolvy #159-180 and they were pretty good. Although before that I don't know. However, I'd think the reasoning behind keeping Wolverine's series around would be obvious...:rolleyes:

I actually applaud that they've trimmed the X-books down. IMO a couple more could stand to be cancelled.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I must be getting the wrong issues of Wolverine... whenever I pick it up it's utter crap - worse since the last relaunch. And the reasoning behind the streamlining of the X-line was to cut books that weren't doing anything different to similar books - Wolverine is rather unremarkable, whereas X-Man was a unique title.

My problem with Marvel's X-line is that they've cancelled, what 4 or 5 books [I think it was X-Man, Generation X, X-Men - The Hidden Years, Mutant X and something else...] and replaced them with other forgettable mutant books like Mutant X [TV], The Brotherhood, X-Treme and more uninteresting mini-series than you can shake a stick at. I mean, Exiles is the only new book that holds a candle to the Counter-X stuff.
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

Joe Quesada have said that two or three more regular x-titles will be cancelled next spring.Sadly,I think they will be replaced with other mini-series.
Hey, comics fans!
Visit www.fanboyradio.com . It's the weekly radio show about comics. Joe Quesada,Larry Hama,Brian Michael Bendis,Greg Rucka,Mark Waid and many other comics creators have appeared on the show.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

My predictions for that are X-Soldier being axed, X-Treme X-Men being wrapped up... and if the creative team are moving on, X-Statix might go. Be nice if Wolverine went, but I can't see that happening... I just hope Exiles' head isn't on the block...
BlueBlaster
Protoform

Post by BlueBlaster »

I don' t think Exiles will be axed next year,even if writer Judd Winick left for DC.He made stories to the whole next year and he has only one year on his DC contract and after that he could return to Exiles.
Hey, comics fans!
Visit www.fanboyradio.com . It's the weekly radio show about comics. Joe Quesada,Larry Hama,Brian Michael Bendis,Greg Rucka,Mark Waid and many other comics creators have appeared on the show.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

It's shame that Gen X and X-man got cancelled, but I'd rather have the Milligan/Allred X-Force/X-Statix book than the counter X one.

Did you know that the plans for year 2 included a crossover, and a new counter X book called Section X, written by Joe Harris?
Pope Discordia ~ Chaos since 1979.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

No... no I didn't... I loved the Counter-X X-Force book [despite the very bad cod-Usual suspects ending], the latest revamp just wasn't my kinda thing I'm afraid... The letters page in the Counter-X books were always on about an upcoming crossover, but I'm kinda glad they didn't to be honest... I can't see the three groups [black ops quasi-terrorists/students/mutant shaman] interacting very well...

I did read in wizard a while back that there'd be a New/Uncanny crossover, but I can't see where that's going to come from, especially as both books are a kinda permanent crossover anyway... Looking back, Counter-X seems a bit like a dry run for the last relaunch, as far as the main X-books go...

I was just a bit annoyed at the cancellation of X-Man because it 'wasn't doing anything other X-books weren't doing', when at the time it was probably the most unique book Marvel had, and Cable and Wolverine were doing the same old same old... I was glad Bishop, Gambit and Hidden Years went, though...
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

The upcoming crossover is between X-Treme and Uncanny. I don't read either book anymore though, so it'll be lost on me.
Pope Discordia ~ Chaos since 1979.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Really? I thought Uncanny was set after X-Treme. Christ, that might mean I have to buy bloody X-Treme. I couldn't even tell you who's on that team anymore...
Hound

Post by Hound »

Aw damn...

Well, can they get a guest writer to do the X-Treme issues of the crossover?

Ummm, oh well, is the artist on that book any good? I might be able to justify buying them for the art.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I think it's Salvador Larroca, who's very competent but not very original, if ya follow... he tends to draw very realistically - at least from what I've read [X-Men/Uncanny X-Men, Heroes Reborn - The Return, X-Treme X-Men]