? for Comic Readers...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
caniac
Protoform

? for Comic Readers...

Post by caniac »

I guess I'm what you'd consider a nostalgia fan. I loved the cartoon as a kid and collected the toys for a while. However, I never got into the comic. I used to read some comics back in the day, but never the Transformers.

So, my question is, where do I start if I want to get into the comic? What is available in the US?

Thanks everyone.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Welcome to the board.

If you want to read Marvel comics (the old ones from 80's) Titan is releasing TPBs containing reprints of this series' issues. So far issues 1-12 (unless 13-18 are out already) and 56-80 were released in this format. Also you have two TPBs of Marvel G2 series, which continues from issue 80, and TPBs with UK comics.

There are scans of almost all Marvel series on the Internet.

http://www.transfans.com for example here

And there's Dreamwave series (the new ones). So far they've done several minis: Generation 1 vol 1, Generation 1 vol 2, War Within. War Within 2 mini and Transformers vs. G.I.Joe mini are currently published, just like Armada ongoing series (its title will be changed in January to Energon).

An ongoing Generation 1 series starts in December.

You can get some current issues and probably some from previous months.

Last year's minis have already been re-released as TPBs, so have few first issues of Armada.

Devil's Due is in publishing G.IJoe vs. Transformers (a diferent stuff from Dreamwave one).

Somebody will come and tell you what did I miss, and give the names of TPBs and which exactly issue sthey contain.

This chaotic post was brought to you by Ozz.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

There are trade paperbacks of the comics in the US (some of them are the UK material, being printed in this country for the first time! :D). Those are a good place to start. Also, you can check comic conventions because sometimes you can find back issues.

Where in the US are you? If you're close to Boston, there's a place, called comicopia in Kenmore square that has most of the trade paperbacks.
caniac
Protoform

Post by caniac »

I'm from CT.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Welcome to the board.

What makes Marvel run difficult to explain, or give clear recommendations, is that material was made both in USA and UK. UK continuity includes almost all the US material plus adds about as much exclusive material.

It gets more complex, because for some reason Titan Books (UK publisher) has decided to publish books divided to US material and UK material. If you get confused, just ask. This board is usually full of helpful people. :)

Here´s a list of Titan Books tpb´s. For covers, see here.

These are what starts the story. Unfortunately some of the early issues are very bad, some excellent. I´d strongly recommend starting with New Order and forgetting "Beginnings". "Cybertron Redux" is a mixed package, but propably worth a read. After those I´d go for the UK material.

-Transformers: Beginnings (US 1-6)
-Transformers: New Order (US 7-12)
-Transformers: Cybertron Redux (US 13-18)
-Transformers: Showdown (US 19-24, not available yet)

UK stories printed in the following TPBs are about after TFTM bots and cons adventures. Recommended. Especially if you liked Galvatron. ;)
-Transformers: Target: 2006
-Transformers: Fallen Angel
-Transformers: Legacy of Unicron
-Transformers: Space Pirates
-Transformers: Time Wars

The ending of G1 is propably the most famous storyline in Transformers comics. "Primal Scream" and "Matrix Quest" are prelude and "All Fall Down" and "End of the Road" a climax and aftermath. Recommended. Another possible starting point.

-Transformers: Primal Scream (US 56-62)
-Transformers: Matrix Quest (US 63-68)
-Transformers: All Fall Down (US 69-74)
-Transformers: End of the Road (75-80)

G2. I like. Loses a lot when rereading for the second time though. Not for beginners. ;)
-Transformers: Dark Designs (US G2 1-6)
-Transformers: Rage in Heaven (US G2 7-12)
caniac
Protoform

Post by caniac »

GREAT!!! Thanks a lot everyone! Much appreciated.
Freak_Dudley
Protoform

Post by Freak_Dudley »

Anyone knows where I can get comics of the newest Transformers in Singapore??Cause....I live in Singapore ya...