A-rod's future

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
redman prime

A-rod's future

Post by redman prime »

So he opted out of his remaining three years at $81 Million with the Yankees.

Where does he go?
how much does he sign for?

The Marllins? that's about 90% of this years payroll on one player.

The Giants? They were fleeced by Boras last year on Zito, so maybe not.

The dodgers? That is an intriguing idea.
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think the guy is going to get a very rude awakening, TBH. The Yankees have the deepest pockets in baseball, and I can't see anyone else being able to pony up more than the extension offer they made that he already shot down.

Plus there's the fact that he's got a reputation for being something of a cancer in the locker room, and opting out of this deal makes him look like a bit of a mercenary (although truthfully I can't blame him for getting away from Steinbrenner at the first chance he got).

I can't see him going to the Dodgers. Not with Torre managing there now. He had the guy for years in NY, and A-Rod didn't exactly do much to make himself out as a clutch player there. Great regular season stats are one thing, but when you disappear in the playoffs, a coach isn't going to want another crack at you.

I get the feeling the Mets will take a run at him, though, if only as a 'screw you' move toward their cross-town rivals.

I don't see him being the highest-paid player in the league anymore when he does finally sign a new deal, though. As good as he is, he's not that good. :\
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

I've read that the Tigers are a possible destonation, as they have a good relationship with Boras. Magglio Ordonez (i don't know how to do the ~ over the N), Todd Jones, Kenny Rogers, the #1 pick overall last year Rick Porcello are all Boras clients.

so we'll wait and see, and revisit this as more news comes up.

supposedly he wanted 350 million from the Yankees, 100 more than thy were willing to do.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I read they offered $300 million over ten years, actually. Still a big difference, but the extra $5 mil a year bumps it up out of a lot of teams' price ranges. The only teams that can afford that (let alone the $35 mil that he asked for) are big money teams like the NY squads and the Red Sox (and if you believe the rumours, their fans are already actively campaigning against signing A-Rod) and a handful of mid-market teams with really low payrolls. And if any of those not so rich teams signed him, they'd run the risk of being A-Rod with no supporting cast whatsoever.

Frankly, anyone who'll pay that much for one position player is a bit of an idiot. Think of how much you could upgrade your pitching staff with that kind of money...
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

he, along with all the other free agents, can sign tonight at midnight ET.
get set for nauseating numbers for people to play sports.
redman prime

RE: A-Rod's Future

Post by redman prime »

Is where it was a month ago
On a weird day for baseball, he signs a bigger contract than his own previous record.

If I could make in my life that he will make next year, I would die a happy and rich man.

It is disgusting to me that this kind of money can go to someone playing a Game.
I read they offered $300 million over ten years, actually.
just about that minus the subsidy front Texas, really.

Funny about the possible Revenue-sharing, that's an interesting wrinkle that'll be a bit odd to watch play out. because it will certainly play out.
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Warren buffett, the second richest man in America, was the one to convince A-Rod to go to the Yankees without Scott Boras, his agent.
Really.
that's funny on multiple levels, and scary too, because A-rod is most likely funneling money into Berkshire-Hathaway stock, making himself even richer.

Isn't capitalism fun, Kids?